Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2019, 3:59 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Default Inherited Shotgun I would like to bring home to CA.

My Father passed away back in April. I've inherited his Winchester shotgun that he used when we use to go pheasant hunting as a teenager.

My question is since it is an inherited firearm can I fly up to WA. and bring it back with me? Do I need any form of official documentation such as a copy of his death certificate in case any questions come up?

I understand that if he was still alive and it is a gift it must go via FFL route. However from what I've read since he is diseased it falls into the category of inherited.

Am I understanding the process correctly or is my understanding of my research skewed?
Old 08-22-2019, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

If it was actually in a will that it goes to you, then there is no problem. Give the state the $19 with an OPlaw form good to go.

It get's sticky and is above my pay grade if there is no will, on how that is handled.
Old 08-22-2019, 8:12 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Sorry for your loss.

If it was bequeathed to you and your father passed, you can go get it or have it mailed. As noted, you would file the OPLAW form.

Old 08-23-2019, 5:38 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfNshoot View Post
My Father passed away back in April. I've inherited his Winchester shotgun that he used when we use to go pheasant hunting as a teenager.

My question is since it is an inherited firearm can I fly up to WA. and bring it back with me? Do I need any form of official documentation such as a copy of his death certificate in case any questions come up?

I understand that if he was still alive and it is a gift it must go via FFL route. However from what I've read since he is diseased it falls into the category of inherited.

Am I understanding the process correctly or is my understanding of my research skewed?
Because this is a bequeath, it is granted an exemption to the Federal laws requiring the use of a FFL. [18 USC 922(a)(3)(A) & (a)(5)(A)]

WA laws grants an exemption to requiring a WA FFL dealer to transfer a firearm that is being inheritied within 60 days of the owner being deceased. [RCW 9.41.113(h)]

CA laws grants an exemption to requiring a CA FFL dealer to be utilized in order to legally import a bequeathed firearm acquired out-of-state by a CA resident, as long as it is reported to CA DOJ within 30 days of the transfer. [PC 27585(b)(6) & 27875(b)]

Therefore, it is legal under Federal, WA, and CA laws...
1. To go to WA.
2. Acquire the firearm from the deceased's estate.
3. Bring that firearm to CA.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-23-2019 at 5:45 AM..
Old 08-23-2019, 8:38 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Because this is a bequeath, it is granted an exemption to the Federal laws requiring the use of a FFL. [18 USC 922(a)(3)(A) & (a)(5)(A)]

WA laws grants an exemption to requiring a WA FFL dealer to transfer a firearm that is being inheritied within 60 days of the owner being deceased. [RCW 9.41.113(h)]

CA laws grants an exemption to requiring a CA FFL dealer to be utilized in order to legally import a bequeathed firearm acquired out-of-state by a CA resident, as long as it is reported to CA DOJ within 30 days of the transfer. [PC 27585(b)(6) & 27875(b)]

Therefore, it is legal under Federal, WA, and CA laws...
1. To go to WA.
2. Acquire the firearm from the deceased's estate.
3. Bring that firearm to CA.
Thank you for the very detailed explanation of all areas of concern. Now to find a locking gun case for transport.
Old 08-23-2019, 8:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it was not willed to you properly then it must go to ffl here for registration. Look up interstate intrafamilial. Did the trustee or executor notify you it is yours? If not then your mom can gift it to you and send it to ffl here.
Old 08-23-2019, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If your anywhere near sfv I will lend you a long rifle hardcase I have several.