Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-21-2019, 9:28 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
There is a lot I'd like to add, but I'll limit my comments to this. We've had years to prepare for the proposed and now implemented ammo laws. We knew well in advance of what was coming. ...snip...
A lot of gun owners are just that, gun owners. They are not gun nuts like most of us here on CG. They have no idea what the laws are now or how they have changed.

A good example of what I believe to be "average" CA gun owner is a friend of mine. He was invited to a BBQ at my house 2 weeks ago but I told him he could not come over until after 2 or 3 PM because I would be at the range, he said he had a gun and would like to go the range with me, I said GREAT lets go. First he had to figure out the caliber of his security six, he had forgotten the caliber, yes he really had, he thought it was .38 but not sure. He had not shot the gun in well over 20 years. He had no ammo for it in the house, he keeps it by the bed but its unloaded because in his mind that is enough to scare someone away. Well because the gun was bought over the counter at some gun show forever ago, its not registered so when he went to buy ammo he could not, he also did not have a real id although he did apply for one so he can fly, he had the paperwork but not the real license yet. He decided it was easier to borrow a dozen rounds from me when we went to the range, he shot 18 rounds during the 2 hours we were there, had no interest in shooting my 9mm or .45s (ACP and Colt). He is the "average" gun owner in CA, so he had no time to prepare for the new laws because he does not care about guns or shooting.

I had hoped I had another friend to shoot with...but NOPE
Old 08-21-2019, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGSX View Post
In the end with the help of a few informed generous people on here I was able to find a local shop that will accept a passport which I'm getting mailed to me. So mission accomplished. The rest of you grumpy old men and sad boys can continue bickering if you wish.
And then, the passport was expired....
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGSX View Post
Been dealing with this new ammo law trying to get ready for dove season. I did not understand that Real ID was going to be required for firearm and ammunition purchases when I renewed my license in May. Unfortunately I just noticed my passport is also expired. So with my FLA license and no valid passport it looks like I can't buy ammo. My wife does have a real ID. I was going to bring her along with me and have her get some trap ammo for both of us and a few non lead boxes for dove. She doesn't have a firearm on file though so she'd need the $19 background check. If she gets the full background check will she then be good for future ammo purchases? Or will she need to pay $19 and have the waiting period every time? And what is this I'm reading now about caliber? Does she need to have a gun on file of the same caliber she's buying? Or do I, when I eventually get my Real ID, also need to register every caliber of weapon I own to be able to buy ammunition for them?