Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 08-18-2019, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Default Looking for some tips

Ive been scouting for predator spot last year on most of my dayoff and I came across of pretty good spot for 1000yards . I just recently got done building my first bolt grendel and I want to stretch out a bit and learn a thing or two this year .

I have been keeping my notes / recently picked up mil dot master and cant wait to practice ranging and stuff .

but I like to do more than just hitting target . when you guys go out for long distance , what do you guys usually do to maximize your time .
or thing i can thing of is .. making the target smaller .. maybe even bring the target closer to write down dope ? ( 900 , 800 , or - so ) . or the day is done so coyote hunting ?
Old 08-19-2019, 6:58 AM

#1 - learning to read and adjust for the wind
#2 - learning to read and adjust for the wind
#3 - learning to read and adjust for the wind
Old 08-19-2019, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

found some cheap wind reader around 10bucks . do I need to invest in high quality one ?
Old 08-19-2019, 5:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You want to improve your long distance shooting? Shoot long distance matches, nothing will improve you faster than scoring rings.

You get instant feedback on every shot and a record of every trigger pull so you can track your progress.

Generally you have a number of more experienced shooter who will freely offer advice on varying conditions, equipment and technique.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 08-19-2019 at 5:29 PM..
Old 08-19-2019, 5:21 PM

yes, i'd keep actual dope needed with the ammo and as many of the variables you can get (temp, hum, BP, etc...) to get a good profile of your rifle.
Old 08-19-2019, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
You want to improve your long distance shooting? Shoot long distance matches, nothing will improve you faster than scoring rings.

You get instant feedback on every shot and a record of every trigger pull so you can track your progress.

Generally you have a number of more experienced shooter who will freely offer advice on varying conditions, equipment and technique.
~ I've looked at few per members recommendations . closest place was in lytle creek private range that needed membership . and few other were just way too far . but I might try match once I get some basics down .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
yes, i'd keep actual dope needed with the ammo and as many of the variables you can get (temp, hum, BP, etc...) to get a good profile of your rifle.
my plan exactly , That's why I just want to play with one rifle so won't get overwhelmed with notes . but since I don't have a Chrono , Ill have to do it old school way
Old 08-19-2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
~ I've looked at few per members recommendations . closest place was in lytle creek private range that needed membership . and few other were just way too far . but I might try match once I get some basics down .

my plan exactly , That's why I just want to play with one rifle so won't get overwhelmed with notes . but since I don't have a Chrono , Ill have to do it old school way
1. what area are you in?

2. get a chrono
- need to know your speeds and consistency
- if you can't get into the single digits for SD, and under say 30 for ES,
it'll almost be impossible to get consistent hits at 800, let alone 1k

like above, calling wind is the hardest part,
but that assumes the rest of your rifle and dope are perfect
Old 08-20-2019, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

in orange county . the place I picked out in just past victorville about hour n half drive .

that makes perfect sense . Ive been eyeballing chrono for while and been saving for magnetospeed . I know there are cheaper ones outhere , but don't want to deal with setting up with tripod and bunch of antennas .

I think its worth to give a shot on trial n error bases till all the necessary parts are ready . if course my notes won't be 100% , but I'll have to start somewhere and learn .

if anyone is in same boat as iam and near oc . Pm me . I got a spare seat . only thing I'm missing is one big ar500 and canopy .
Old 08-20-2019, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
in orange county . the place I picked out in just past victorville about hour n half drive .
Cuyama would probably be far for you but we have people coming up from there the night before a match and camping out at the range occasionally.

It looks like West End gun club no longer shoots long range matches. They used to shoot long range matches at Camp Pendleton, maybe one of our San Diego members has information on that.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-20-2019, 2:14 PM

Camp Pendleton Long-range, Mid-range, and "PRS type" matches have recently started again. Don't need to be a member but you do need to get a base pass, good for 8 weeks.

https://www.smgunclub.org/

The last couple of "matches" were more like practice sessions. A lot of new shooters with basically a 100yd zero were getting their dope at distance. The more experienced shooters were lending a hand giving wind calls and suggestions. Some pics from a few weeks ago:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1548961

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-20-2019 at 2:21 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

ty smoothy , ill look that up . is getting pass hard ? do you what they charge ? with my schedule I would have to renew pass everytime
Old 08-20-2019, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
ty smoothy , ill look that up . is getting pass hard ? do you what they charge ? with my schedule I would have to renew pass everytime
Pass is free but you have to show up in person to get it and you need to get on the list so the base knows who you are. That gets taken care of with an email and a match registration via practiscore.
Matches cost $20 - $35 depending on the format and membership level.

We have access to 1300 yards on two ranges.
Old 08-20-2019, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As for making the best use of your time.

You need to work on your basic fundamentals at 100-300 yards this will allow you concentrate on you and the gun and not worry about the wind.
Once you can put consistent tiny groups on paper at 100-300 yards and do it with near perfect recoil control then you can stretch it out. All the while you need to be taking notes on your rifle and load. Dope is ever evolving. If you plan to shoot steel range cards are good enough. If you plan to shoot NRA F Class or High Power you need more accurate data that reflects the environmental conditions. Wind is the hardest part for people. There is no formula because all wind is different. Up and down drafts, swirling currents, the topography the wind is flowing over all plays a part in how the bullet is effected at range.
And you need to learn to walk before you can run.
Old 08-21-2019, 6:07 AM

Yeah, I've missed a lot of wind changes by ignoring the flags for a moment...Mirage also gives a lot of info too.

A couple of pretty good write-up from AccurateShooter:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...and-anomalies/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ope-technique/

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-21-2019 at 6:32 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Pass is free but you have to show up in person to get it and you need to get on the list so the base knows who you are. That gets taken care of with an email and a match registration via practiscore.
Matches cost $20 - $35 depending on the format and membership level.

We have access to 1300 yards on two ranges.
Quote:
As for making the best use of your time.

You need to work on your basic fundamentals at 100-300 yards this will allow you concentrate on you and the gun and not worry about the wind.
Once you can put consistent tiny groups on paper at 100-300 yards and do it with near perfect recoil control then you can stretch it out. All the while you need to be taking notes on your rifle and load. Dope is ever evolving. If you plan to shoot steel range cards are good enough. If you plan to shoot NRA F Class or High Power you need more accurate data that reflects the environmental conditions. Wind is the hardest part for people. There is no formula because all wind is different. Up and down drafts, swirling currents, the topography the wind is flowing over all plays a part in how the bullet is effected at range.
And you need to learn to walk before you can run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post

Yeah, I've missed a lot of wind changes by ignoring the flags for a moment...Mirage also gives a lot of info too.

I guess it would've hurt to just watch and maybe put some rounds down the range on practice day to get a feel for it . but it totally makes sense and will be taking baby steps . I think I'm on the right path as for progress .
Old 08-21-2019, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

tyvm for that .

as for now , I'm playing with some loads without chrono . once I found few . since I don't have chrono , I'm planning on give this test a try . I think it could be useful till I get my hands on magenospeed

Last edited by G38xOC; 08-21-2019 at 7:38 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I guess it would've hurt to just watch and maybe put some rounds down the range on practice day to get a feel for it . but it totally makes sense and will be taking baby steps . I think I'm on the right path as for progress .
Our club doesn't really care how you use your time on the firing line so long as everything you do is safe and within the conditions of the base.

If you want to come out and shoot a match but use it as a practice session, there's nothing saying you can't. So long as its within our time limits for being on the line.

Last edited by kcstott; 08-21-2019 at 8:45 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 8:02 AM

This weekend 3X 500 will be "practice" for me since I haven't competed with irons since the West Coast Fleet/All-Navy matches in 2018.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-21-2019 at 8:05 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 8:14 AM

Quote:
it totally makes sense and will be taking baby steps . I think I'm on the right path as for progress .
Sounds like you are on the right path, looking to analyze your shot versus just "banging steel all day" like so many others like to talk about. It wasn't until I stepped up from 3-gun to NRA matches that my marksmanship skills dramatically improved. Regardless of the shooting sport you engage in, some sort of competition developes an increase in skills.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-21-2019 at 8:18 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 8:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like you are on the right path, looking to analyze your shot versus just "banging steel all day" like so many others like to talk about. It wasn't until I stepped up from 3-gun to NRA matches that my marksmanship skills dramatically improved. Regardless of the shooting sport you engage in, some sort of competition developes an increase in skills.
I'm still not where I want to be skills wise, But I'm light years ahead of where I was six years ago.
Old 08-21-2019, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Our club doesn't really care how you use your time on the firing line so long as everything you do is safe and within the conditions of the base.

If you want to come out and shoot a match but use it as a practice session, there's nothing saying you can't. So long as its within our time limits for being on the line.
that is good to know ! I definitely will be heading out there then . I've been reading on the site smoothy posted and getting much info as I can at this point as far as how and requirements and such .
Old 08-21-2019, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

That pic isn't just talking about flags, but the shot markers on the other targets. They are all skewed left, meaning the wind has picked up and the other shooters haven't adjusted.