Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-11-2019, 9:00 AM

Default Car broken into again! Qualify for CCW?

Hey guys, was wondering what the opinion is on this situation. My car (parked in the driveway) was broken into again this morning and I have CCTV footage of the perpetrator. This is the 4th time that cars in my driveway has been broken into. I was wondering if I can use this to apply for a CCW? I'm not feeling safe even in my own home anymore and want to be protected, but living in LA county the chances are slim to qualify. Was wondering what your thoughts are and whether I should apply or not. Thanks all and be safe out there

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Apply.what have you to lose?
Old 08-11-2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Apply.what have you to lose?
Money, and I heard that once you don't qualify your chances of qualifying are much worst in the future. I'll have to look into this a bit more but that's my hesitation.

Old 08-11-2019, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo7125 View Post
Money, and I heard that once you don't qualify your chances of qualifying are much worst in the future. I'll have to look into this a bit more but that's my hesitation.

Every CCW application i have ever seen asks “have you ever applied for ccw and been denied?”

I shared the same qualms you do, and didnt apply until i was sure i had a good shot. For you, i think they will say these are property crimes with no hint of danger to you. I disagree with that, but thats what they will say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-11-2019, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can you legally defend property in CA?
No

Crime in your area falls into the overall personal protection as a good cause.

If your agency does not issue for this, don’t apply.

Every CCW application asks if you have applied and been denied a CCW-and or have you ever had a CCW revokes. if you answer yes, you need to explain why and it makes getting approved potentially more difficult

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-11-2019, 9:11 AM

Go ahead & apply for a CCW. But brush up on the laws regarding the use of deadly force.
If you were to catch a car burglar in the act & you pull a gun on him, what will you do if he runs away? You can't shoot him unless you want to do prison time. Citizen's arrest? Fine, but if it turns into an assault & you end up shooting him, the legal fees will make you wish you didn't handle it that way.
It's not the same as him breaking into your home.
Old 08-11-2019, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Every CCW application i have ever seen asks “have you ever applied for ccw and been denied?”

I shared the same qualms you do, and didnt apply until i was sure i had a good shot. For you, i think they will say these are property crimes with no hint of danger to you. I disagree with that, but thats what they will say.
I figured this may be the case, and I am not about to give anti-gun politicans/law enforcement my hard earned dollar and be denied now and in the future. Thanks brutha.

Old 08-11-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Since you haven’t been in the car when this has happened, it might sound to your IA like you’re applying for a CCW permit to protect your property instead of to defend yourself from imminent threats of death or great bodily injury. You are already legally entitled to use deadly force to protect yourself inside your home.

You may need to move to one of the many counties in California that accept “self defense” as good cause to obtain a CCW permit.

Addendum: It looks like several people addressed the same point while I was typing. I agree with them.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 08-11-2019 at 9:15 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
Go ahead & apply for a CCW. But brush up on the laws regarding the use of deadly force.

If you were to catch a car burglar in the act & you pull a gun on him, what will you do if he runs away? You can't shoot him unless you want to do prison time. Citizen's arrest? Fine, but if it turns into an assault & you end up shooting him, the legal fees will make you wish you didn't handle it that way.

It's not the same as him breaking into your home.
Thanks brutha. It's good to hear different opinions and consider all options. I'm feeling the anger and adrenaline so couldn't think straight, but appreciate your time.

Old 08-11-2019, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Since you haven’t been in the car when this has happened, it might sound to your IA like you’re applying for a CCW permit to protect your property instead of to defend yourself from imminent threats of death or great bodily injury. You are already legally entitled to use deadly force to protect yourself inside your home.

You may need to move to one of the many counties in California that accept “self defense” as good cause to obtain a CCW permit.

Addendum: It looks like several people addressed the same point while I was typing. I agree with them.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I often get home from work late or an outing, and should I come home and come face to face with a perp I want to be protected; hence my thoughts on applying.

Old 08-11-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Can you legally defend property in CA?
No

Crime in your area falls into the overall personal protection as a good cause.

If your agency does not issue for this, don’t apply.

Every CCW application asks if you have applied and been denied a CCW-and or have you ever had a CCW revokes. if you answer yes, you need to explain why and it makes getting approved potentially more difficult
Thank you

Old 08-11-2019, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks brutha. It's good to hear different opinions and consider all options. I'm feeling the anger and adrenaline so couldn't think straight, but appreciate your time.

If you can't think straight when you're angry, best not to carry a gun, carry pepper spray instead. (You should carry pepper spray all the time anyway, even if you get a CCW.)

If you still want to apply, best to go over the last few pages of posts in the LA Co CCW Info thread at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=25

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 08-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:

One other issue: I've never applied for a CCW, so I don't know what questions are on the form to answer. But if I am correct in assuming it will ask for "Reasons" why you want a CCW," it would be a bad idea to answer: "My car has been broken into several times" or something of that nature. That would tell them two things: That you intend to use a gun on a thief & that you're not familiar with the laws regarding deadly force.
Just say, "Personal protection" or something similar.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If you can't think straight when you're angry, best not to carry a gun, carry pepper spray instead. (You should carry pepper spray all the time anyway, even if you get a CCW.)

If you still want to apply, best to go over the last few pages of posts in the LA Co CCW Info thread at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=25
Perhaps words spoken out of frustration & anger are not an indication of actions.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
One other issue: I've never applied for a CCW, so I don't know what questions are on the form to answer. But if I am correct in assuming it will ask for "Reasons" why you want a CCW," it would be a bad idea to answer: "My car has been broken into several times" or something of that nature. That would tell them two things: That you intend to use a gun on a thief & that you're not familiar with the laws regarding deadly force.

Just say, "Personal protection" or something similar.
Thank you I appreciate the tip.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Move to a safer place in a county where you can get a CCW.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey guys, was wondering what the opinion is on this situation. My car (parked in the driveway) was broken into again this morning and I have CCTV footage of the perpetrator.

This is the 4th time that cars in my driveway has been broken into.

I was wondering if I can use this to apply for a CCW?

I'm not feeling safe even in my own home anymore and want to be protected, but living in LA county the chances are slim to qualify.

Was wondering what your thoughts are and whether I should apply or not. Thanks all and be safe out there

You have answered your own question.

If you live in LA county, you are very, very unlikely to receive a permit unless you are very rich and/or very famous...

Having you car broken into, will not even be considered a reasonable cause for CCW,

in most counties that actually issue and require a cause statement in order to issue.

Save your time and money, you'll win the lottery before you get a permit in LA county.

Move out of LA if you really want a permit...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Zero chance this gets you a CCW.

Old 08-11-2019, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm confused, your location says Orange County but your post says LA County. Which county is your IA in?

To your question, however, every Issuing Agency (IA) is different. You should check the OC or LA boards to understand what your specific IA considers to be a "good cause." There aren't many...in So Cal anyway...that view self defense or not feeling safe as a good enough justification. But I don't live in either of these counties so I'm no expert on them. Again, check the boards.

The other problem you're likely going to have is that you say you don't feel safe at HOME...and it's perfectly legal to have a gun in/at your home and you don't need a CCW permit to do so. Nor should you be walking out of your home to confront somebody stealing your property from your driveway. Because it's only property.

I don't think your justification for CCW is going to make much sense to them, so they will likely reject you. Further to this if your IA is in LA they basically don't issue unless you're a personal friend of the Sheriff's or make LARGE contributions to his campaign fund. If your IA is in OC, you might have a chance with something more appropriate.

And sorry, the CCW requirements in this state suck balls.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-11-2019, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Doesn't getting a CCW in LA County require a significant contribution to Villaraigosa's war chest???

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:40 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you were to catch a car burglar in the act & you pull a gun on him...
Some cops might arrest you for that alone if it's outside your home.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

OP what kind of car? Alarm?
Old 08-11-2019, 7:37 PM

Live in LA county, just do all of my PPT's in Orange County. Not sure how the perp broke into a 4Runner w/ an alarm but he some how managed to do it.

I think I wasn't clear in my thread so sorry for that. The reason I asked if I qualify for a CCW is because the 3rd time that a car in my driveway was broken into, it was a team of 8, very organized.

In 15 mins the 8 guys raised a car up, put bricks under the car to stable it, stole the wheels/rims, got inside and told the seats, radio, airbag, and other items; so basically I just had the body left. Car was completely stripped. They came organized with a clear objective in mind, and I dare say them did NOT come empty handed.

So although these perps stoled property, my fear is they also have a weapon and aren't afraid to use it. I often get home late from work or an outing, and should I come face to face with them I want to be prepared. This is pretty much the reason for my CCW question. Funny thing is, on the 3rd break-in one of the perps dropped his bank card in the driveway and I showed the police. They told me a bird could have picked it up somewhere and dropped it in my driveway. I knew I was screwed with that explanation

Thanks all I appreciate your feedback. Be safe.

Old 08-11-2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Live in LA county, just do all of my PPT's in Orange County. Not sure how the perp broke into a 4Runner w/ an alarm but he some how managed to do it.

I think I wasn't clear in my thread so sorry for that. The reason I asked if I qualify for a CCW is because the 3rd time that a car in my driveway was broken into, it was a team of 8, very organized.

In 15 mins the 8 guys raised a car up, put bricks under the car to stable it, stole the wheels/rims, got inside and told the seats, radio, airbag, and other items; so basically I just had the body left. Car was completely stripped. They came organized with a clear objective in mind, and I dare say them did NOT come empty handed.

So although these perps stoled property, my fear is they also have a weapon and aren't afraid to use it. I often get home late from work or an outing, and should I come face to face with them I want to be prepared. This is pretty much the reason for my CCW question. Funny thing is, on the 3rd break-in one of the perps dropped his bank card in the driveway and I showed the police. They told me a bird could have picked it up somewhere and dropped it in my driveway. I knew I was screwed with that explanation

That’s just messed up. Sounds like you should move to a nicer area or park in the garage if possible. But for CCW in LA, on this basis, they’ll never approve. Even so, you shouldn’t confront them cause if it goes south, they know where you live.

What city are you in?

Stay safe.
Old 08-11-2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
That’s just messed up. Sounds like you should move to a nicer area or park in the garage if possible. But for CCW in LA, on this basis, they’ll never approve. Even so, you shouldn’t confront them cause if it goes south, they know where you live.

What city are you in?

Stay safe.
Thanks G, appreciate it. I'm in Long Beach. Yeah I won't try for it knowing my chances are slim.

Old 08-11-2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks G, appreciate it. I'm in Long Beach. Yeah I won't try for it knowing my chances are slim.

If you decide to move, one city over with less crime and you’ll get your CCW as well. I’m in OC but didn’t think people still do that. It’s quite upsetting.
Old 08-11-2019, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

So you think 8 against 1 is good odd's?
Old 08-11-2019, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Doesn't getting a CCW in LA County require a significant contribution to Villaraigosa's war chest???
Villaraigosa has no say in who gets a L.A. County permit...........
Old 08-12-2019, 5:48 AM

Quote:
I heard that once you don't qualify your chances of qualifying are much worst in the future. I'll have to look into this a bit more but that's my hesitation.
Depends on the denial. A co-worker of mine got denied in LA 10+ years ago and got his permit few years ago. The denial was because he lived in LA county not because of his background. On the application, it does ask if you have ever applied and got denied, if so, explain...

I "personally" think your future IA won't hold this against you because you got a denial due to your county and their non-issue policy.
Old 08-12-2019, 1:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just out of curiosity, do you not have a garage to park your car in?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-12-2019, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, you’re not going to get a CCW off that, so don’t bother getting a denial.

I’d beef up you driveway security, though....yikes

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Old 08-12-2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
Depends on the denial. A co-worker of mine got denied in LA 10+ years ago and got his permit few years ago. The denial was because he lived in LA county not because of his background. On the application, it does ask if you have ever applied and got denied, if so, explain...

I "personally" think your future IA won't hold this against you because you got a denial due to your county and their non-issue policy.
Thanks man appreciate it

Old 08-12-2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you not have a garage to park your car in?
4 cars in the driveway so no room. Wish I did though.

Old 08-12-2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Yeah, you’re not going to get a CCW off that, so don’t bother getting a denial.

I’d beef up you driveway security, though....yikes

Yeah that's why I installed CCTV cameras, new metal gate, and still they managed get in! Like a moth to a flame.

Old 08-12-2019, 5:13 PM

Maybe its time to move?
Old 08-13-2019, 9:48 PM

- please install LIGHTS
- LOTS OF THEM
- criminals HATE lights (like cock-a-roaches)

- install bright LEDS pointing at all your cars/driveway
- then install extra motion lights to light it up even brighter under movement/motion

- then install cams

- IF you get the thieves on camera, hire a PI to track the plates and bring a CIVIL suit against them

Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
Maybe its time to move?
Yeah....like there are places that are crime free.

Like that guy who read that most accidents happen within 10 miles of home - so he moved 11 miles away.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

OP said:

Quote:
Funny thing is, on the 3rd break-in one of the perps dropped his bank card in the driveway and I showed the police. They told me a bird could have picked it up somewhere and dropped it in my driveway. I knew I was screwed with that explanation
Exactly parallels my experience with LBPD as a "former" property owner there.

"WWOS"...... [Worthless Waste of Sperm] is descriptive acronym that comes to mind whenever I think of LBPD and a sad history of "PPS" [Piss Poor Service] from them.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Its expensive but how about putting up a wall or fence and massive lights with sensors aiming out the sidewalks and street so every time any car or anyone walks by the security lights comes on bright. Otherwise, move to a better neighborhood, LBC is getting worst . . .
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
- please install LIGHTS
- LOTS OF THEM
- criminals HATE lights (like cock-a-roaches)

- install bright LEDS pointing at all your cars/driveway
- then install extra motion lights to light it up even brighter under movement/motion

- then install cams

- IF you get the thieves on camera, hire a PI to track the plates and bring a CIVIL suit against them

Thanks man