Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-07-2019, 4:16 PM

Default Keeping Track of Collection

My collection is beginning to get large enough that I feel like I need to use some sort of software to track what firearms, ammo, and accessories that I own. My goal is to have this user friendly enough that if something bad were to happen to me that my wife can use the system to see how many guns, what models, their values, etc so that if she needs to sell them then she has some decent info to start with and won't get completely taken. I'm also trying not to have this list cloud or search engine based for obvious reasons.

I've seen posts about people who use Excel and, while I'm pretty good at building spreadsheets, it seems like there should already be better sources of collecting software than just Excel. If you are using Excel, do you have a template that you might be willing to share?

What is everyone using to keep track of their collections electronically? Any lessons learned about what to avoid or look for?
Old 12-07-2019, 4:18 PM

I keep an Excel version of my bound book. If you like, I can find the blank template.
Old 12-07-2019, 4:21 PM

Excel is the best for this simple list.
Headers of Gun, make, model, cal, round count and est value. Freeze top row. All you need is that. Takes about 2 min to set up and who knows how long to add the collection. Keep a current back up on a flash drive and put in the safe. Do not try to over complicate it.
Old 12-07-2019, 5:03 PM

If you have an Android phone, GunSafe pro app is amazing. Not available for pc or iphone, unfortunately.
Prints out each gun info page as pdf, and keeps track automatically of all your ammo use, etc.

Last edited by Spaffo; 12-07-2019 at 5:06 PM..
Old 12-07-2019, 5:23 PM

I keep track of everything with different Excel spreadsheets...one for firearms, one for ammo, another for accessories of some value, etc.

Using a scanner, I've also have digitized all the paperwork like sales receipts (some of the old carbon copy paperwork is badly fading) so that I have an electronic PDF copy of these and other important documents concerning ownership.

Keeping your safes, storage bins or cabinets organized helps in keeping track of things in your inventory sheets.
Old 12-07-2019, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

I also use and excel spreadsheet to keep of my firearms.
Just keep it simple and remember to keep it in a separate place (from your firearms).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 12-07-2019, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I went one step further using my ipad/iphone.

Book Creator ($4.99) let me upload photos from my iPad/iPhone to a blank page and then insert text (s/n, date acquired, price). I also add range notes and photos of targets for use next time at the range.

Easy to export to iBooks which for me is easy to access and available to my family if something happens to me.

I’ll post one of my iBook pages below.
Old 12-07-2019, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

D492300B-005C-4CC0-BD83-927E059158F8.jpg

Last edited by metalcruncher; 12-07-2019 at 7:49 PM.. Reason: Serial number blanked out
Old 12-07-2019, 10:12 PM

I also use an Excel spreadsheet, though I'll admit it gets a bit cluttered since about half my collection is C&R and I have to put in short blurbs explaining which number is the actual serial number and what numbers are proofs to verify its indeed a C&R (courtesy of more than a few of them being rearsenaled by nations that weren't the original manufacturers/owners of them and deciding to remove a lot of the original manufacturers marks).

It's a headache, but it definitely helps me sort out and organize what I have and at least keep some kind of track of rough value so if I meet an unexpected end my folks won't be selling them for a fraction of what they're worth.

I also use the Gun Vault App as a backup mainly to keep track of serial numbers and photos on my phone.

Course even with all that it doesn't stop me from keeping a bound book with written down information and either original receipts or photocopied purchase receipts for all of them hidden amongst the tax files.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Excel is made for tracking things like this. It can be used for any kind of vehicle maintenance, gun or ammo purchases, gear, etc.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:31 PM

tagged
Old 12-08-2019, 7:19 AM

I use Microsoft Access, which is a database program. It takes more layout work but the payoff is that you can make reports with input data of your choice.

ARFrog
Old 12-08-2019, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

I made my own spreadsheet,but fill it out by hand.It has alot of data,when bought,from who,what paid,make,model,comments section and estimated value (based on current gunbroker sales) estimated Ca. value and when sold info. I update the values every 5 years or so. Now, I do not keep this in my PC, but I scan it with photos and send it to my work PC where I have alot better cyber security.. Paper copy kept apart from my guns. I've been doing this for 40 years. Pretty crazy to see those $69 SKSs and $300 Colts on there.....I do not track ammo.
Old 12-08-2019, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I use regular note book paper and have a sheet for each item. I keep them in three ring binders.

Another thing I list is where the box (if I have it) is stored.

In addition to the note book paper listing for each item, I also apply a tag to each firearm with make, model, caliber, serial number and what section it's listed in it's binder.

I also put tags on firearms boxes and accessories. So they can also be correlated to the gun.

The reason for the tag is not for me, but for if I'm not around and my wife or son would have to correlate the firearm to the page listing in the collection binder.

I also scanned all the pages and keep them on a thumb drive in my fireproof safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 12-08-2019, 4:58 PM

Thanks for everyone’s info. Sounds like I should just hunker down and build a spreadsheet to suit what I want to see in my collection.
Old 12-08-2019, 6:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdha603 View Post

I also use the Gun Vault App as a backup mainly to keep track of serial numbers and photos on my phone.

Course even with all that it doesn't stop me from keeping a bound book with written down information and either original receipts or photocopied purchase receipts for all of them hidden amongst the tax files.
I remember looking at the Gun Vault app and being pretty impressed. Think I need to go look at it again.
Old 12-08-2019, 6:38 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaffo View Post
If you have an Android phone, GunSafe pro app is amazing. Not available for pc or iphone, unfortunately.
Prints out each gun info page as pdf, and keeps track automatically of all your ammo use, etc.
For iPhone there is Gun Log SPC. The author is a CG member but I don't recall his user name.
http://slinkworks.com/Gun_Log_SPC.html
This allows you to enter guns, ammo, and range sessions. For the range session, you select the gun(s) fired and how many rounds and it updates your ammo inventory. I can quickly tell exactly how many rounds I have of each caliber. This does not save to the cloud. I have used it for several years and have never had a problem. It will print out some basic reports, like how much $$ you have spent on guns and ammo.
The app is for iPhone only but uses a SQLlite database which can be copied to a PC and you can use various tools to query or report on that database.

ETA: It also allows you to enter if you sell a gun, such as sold date, sold to, amount.

Last edited by rdfact; 12-08-2019 at 6:57 PM..