Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-09-2019, 9:57 PM

Default Good printer/copier

My old HP Office Jet-6835 took a dump today so I need a replacement. What are some good ink jet printer/copiers out there that don't eat up a ton of ink? I use this for my home PC and only gets a half dozen or so pieces of paper printed per week. I would like the color option as the wife likes to print pictures sometimes.
Old 06-10-2019, 3:48 AM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When my ink jet finally dies I plan to get a color laser. I am tired of going through endless cleaning cycles to get the color to print correctly.
Old 06-10-2019, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout II View Post
My old HP Office Jet-6835 took a dump today so I need a replacement. What are some good ink jet printer/copiers out there that don't eat up a ton of ink? I use this for my home PC and only gets a half dozen or so pieces of paper printed per week. I would like the color option as the wife likes to print pictures sometimes.
Epson's eco printer. It holds early a pint of ink total, and you can buy beakers full of the ink pretty cheaply.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Expre...e02631a0f50209
Old 06-10-2019, 7:34 AM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have the Epson ET-4550 Eco-tank. Lots of ink in the tanks. But if it does not come out of the nozzles it is no good.

My opinion is ink jets need to be used every day.
Old 06-10-2019, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have pretty good luck with Epson Inkjets and use generic tanks that are dirt cheap... still running a old NX625. Once in a while if I have had the power off for days or weeks, it'll be gummed up when I need it but it always seems to come back with cleaning cycles. I leave the power on, and it doesn't seem to need cleaning for a LONG time - three times a year maybe?

Color Lasers can be a real pain too. Expensive toner depending on the brand/model, fusers, rollers, image drums per color, toner leaking / cleaning needed to get clean / clear pages. Most of the time too expensive initial investment not to fix. OR they could run forever compared to your inkjet. It depends on how heavy the usage.

You can't beat a cheap inkjet on special glossy paper for graphics quality, but they look bad on plain paper. Lasers look good on plain paper.
Old 06-10-2019, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8630 that I use for work. It's been very dependable. Could be slightly faster but does everything I need (print, scan, fax, auto-duplex). Also, the ink seem to last fairly long when I use genuine HP ink.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-10-2019, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

My Brother Business Smart Pro series MFC-J6535DW doesn't deplete ink fast and the cartridges are the cheapest of the brands. Best printer I've had to date.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Epson Eco-Tanks are are pretty good for those that need to do a lot of color photo printing with a relatively low per-page ink cost. I don't print a lot so HP's "Instant Ink" program works perfectly for me. In my case I'm using an HP Deskjet Pro with Instant Ink capability. Instant Ink is a subscription service where HP automatically sends me genuine high capacity HP ink cartridges whenever my printer reports via internet that ink levels are low. Subscriptions start at $2.99/mo for 50 pages (about right for me) and go up to 200 pages per month at steep discounts.

Now for the downsides, 1) I have yet to successfully print from my Samsung S10 phone, and 2) to my 9000 series Deskjet Pro all-in-one (AIO) seems to need a reboot about once a month to maintain network connectivity, up from the weekly reboot required by my old Deskjet 7000 series.

I do maintain a Brother AIO laser for large print jobs but rarely turn it on anymore.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 PM

I got a brother MFC 9840 in 2011 - color laser, copier, scanner
for < $500, way cheaper to run than any inkjet.
Prints fast and reliable - I think 1 paper jam in 8 years.

You can get real photos printed very cheaply just about anywhere these days.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post

all of this.

i'm still running a b&w samsung laser bought from CompUSA before they went under; was something like $75 on clearance. it's on maybe it's 3rd or 4th toner cartridge and still kicking just fine. next laser will probably be a brother all-in-one, possibly color. how much color printing is really needed if you print your photos somewhere else? (for photos, watch for coupon deals at walgreens around holidays, or check costco's prices).
Old 06-11-2019, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post

The Brother MFC-9130CW is the recent color laser I've used. Not bad for $300-$400 laser. I don't recall many jams at all, but drum, toner, roller issues that seemed to pop up sooner than expected. OEM toner and drums aren't cheap.

As far as photos, I've always liked the convenience of printing at home. As far as B&W laser If you bought a reconditioned HP4350N with new fuser, you probably will print forever very cheap = $200 range, $40 toner. One thing about lasers is a huge footprint if you get something decent with good toner capacity.

My Epson inkjet was $80 IIRC, so comparing that to a laser where the drum unit is $150 and OEM toner can be $50 is why I kept running my NX625. I like the Workforce series too. The WF-3620/3640 and the new stuff seems decent too.

Cheap lasers, the Canons are really nice and inexpensive to operate with $8 toners. D530 and D550, newer D570 are great.

Last edited by crufflers; 06-11-2019 at 9:11 AM..
Old 06-14-2019, 9:33 PM

Tagged. My printer is going down as well

https://akthumbgrips.com/ VIDEO REVIEW> https://youtu.be/uwOoGQZtnf4
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Go look at the Samsung color laser printers. Honestly they cost less than my last Inkjet printer. And toner doesn’t expire if you don’t use it fast enough.

Get the one with Wi-Fi printing. It really is nice to be able to print from either the laptop or phone from wherever I am in the house.

Last edited by Foothills; 06-14-2019 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Added Wi-Fi comment.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
Go look at the Samsung color laser printers. Honestly they cost less than my last Inkjet printer. And toner doesn’t expire if you don’t use it fast enough.

Get the one with Wi-Fi printing. It really is nice to be able to print from either the laptop or phone from wherever I am in the house.
the not expiring from lack of use is the biggest advantage to laser...you get your money's worth on a cartridge, no matter how long it takes you to use it.

on the wifi side, mine is old enough to not have any built in networking, but it sits on a print server (parallel port, even...), so it's stil accessible to print remotely, just takes a tiny bit of extra setup. do they even sell print servers as a standalone device anymore?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:57 PM

These new ink jet printers are iffy. Bought a new HP 4650 series and it started having issues printing in color a month after. Replaced it with HP 6960 and it's fine, but after a few of printing jobs the red color streaks for some reason and I have to go through maintenance cycle to correct it. Maybe it's just the HP printers.