Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-14-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toamaius View Post
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, however, to say that a Sig Sauer, Holosun, or other type optic that is not an Aimpoint, EoTech, Trijicon ect.. cannot be used for home defense is rather silly.

I too am a father, I am not rich, in fact I would consider myself in the working class as far as income level. I trust my life to either one of my Holosun's which is why they are on my current home defense long guns. My carry handgun and backup gun both have irons. My long guns are set up with back up iron sights and both of the optics are mounted with quick detach levers.
I know where you're coming from and I sounded like that for 10+ years, only recently I invested in higher end optics. I'm working class as well, far far from rich. I never said the budget Chinese optics can't be used for home defense, I was just saying my priorities changed when I became a father and the thought of saving some money on a home defense based optic did not outweight my kids lives, just my personal opinion, there's no wrong or right answer for others in their own circumstances. I hope I never have to use it for a defense situation but I have if the time comes. It's tough at the thought when the thought of a higher end optic could be a brand new gun, but for me personally it was worth it. I bet there are extra guns/rifles you don't need but have.

Last edited by ZombieLivesMatter; 10-14-2018 at 3:54 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
I know where you're coming from and I sounded like that for 10+ years, only recently I invested in higher end optics. I'm working class as well, far far from rich. I never said the budget Chinese optics can't be used for home defense, I was just saying my priorities changed when I became a father and the thought of saving some money on a home defense based optic did not outweight my kids lives, just my personal opinion, there's no wrong or right answer for others in their own circumstances. I hope I never have to use it for a defense situation but I have if the time comes. It's tough at the thought when the thought of a higher end optic could be a brand new gun, but for me personally it was worth it. I bet there are extra guns/rifles you don't need but have.
Hey man look, I am glad that you were able to budget for a tier 1 optic. I would never be like, "you are dumb, you spent how much on an optic" I see and hear you where you are coming from. If you have the money or can save up for go for it.

My shotgun is decked out beyond what any budget conscience person would want to spend. I put most of money spent on the weapon itself. My ghost ring sight set alone is like 575.00 alone, not to mention the other things done to barrel and all the other Vang Comp Systems goodies. This was my dream gun, and only decided to put a red dot after it was done. I did a ton of research and saw what real world tests were saying and decided to go with Holosun. This is my shotgun. As you can see no expense was spared with the exception of the optic, because build was done before I decided to try a micro red dot.

I am lucky to not be limited having only 1 firearm, but there are people who saved for years to get a rifle finished and do not have the means to buy a tier 1 optic. Not everyone has 10 rifles and made the choice to skimp on their optics budget. If that is the case, I say your money is better spent on buying a better optic or ammo to get some trigger time behind their weapon of choice.

I am just sick and tired of hearing from a lot of gun snobs talking down on people who have to maker their optics choice based on budget. Buy the best you can buy while staying in your budget. Do not let anyone price shame you on what you spent your money on and let them say, "you shouldn't trust your life to any budget optic"...
Old 10-14-2018, 8:20 PM

You got some good recommendations...i don't see any issues with getting mid range rds optics for a hd gun. They should work just fine.

With that said...i wanted to add that its just as important to really put a lot of time practicing with your gun until your actions become second nature. I don't mean just shooting with it at a static range...i mean really doing the things you would be doing if something went wrong in your house or otherwise...

I shouldn't take that much practice and reflection but i think most gun owners just buy a gun and they put it somewhere close by with the idea that they're now good to go.

The truth is that under stress...things become 10x harder and it takes a decent amount of practice and thinking to be able to perform up to par...