Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-30-2020, 4:02 PM

Applied: 2/13/2019
Interviewed: 6/25/2019 (South Lake Tahoe)
Approved/Final Payment: 5/6/2020
Received Permit by Mail: 5/12/2020

Due to COVID, I was unable to pick up in person, Sheriff's Office wouldn't allow it at the time. No big deal as they mailed it via certified very quickly.

Side note: A buddy of mine applied several months after I did and he just received approval this week. Looks like they are getting caught up on applications right now.
Old 06-03-2020, 6:31 PM

Extension of CCW permits due to COVID-19
Posted on April 30, 2020

For Immediate Release

Sergeant Anthony Prencipe

El Dorado County Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permit holders will now have until the end of October to renew their permits due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Thursday, April 30, El Dorado County Sheriff John D’Agostini implemented emergency CCW extensions for permits expiring in 2020. Permits set to expire before October 31 will have their validity extended to October 31, 2020. These extensions are only valid in El Dorado County and may not be recognized by other law enforcement jurisdictions.

The emergency extensions come after the Governor’s Shelter in Place Order placed limitations on public gatherings. With the restrictions, permit holders have not been able to complete mandatory refresher courses and renewal interviews. Though the permits have been extended, CCW holders are encouraged to begin the renewal process online at EDSO’s website or mobile app.

The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office says that CCW Permit holders using facial coverings due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while legally carrying their weapon, will not be in violation of Penal Code 25300(a).

New CCW permit applications can still be started by El Dorado County. However, they will be delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information regarding the CCW permitting process, please visit eldoradoca.permitium.com/ccw/start or download our mobile app.
Old 07-13-2020, 9:33 AM

Hi All! Any guidance on preferred CCW training courses in El Dorado county?

Thank you,
Jon
Old 07-13-2020, 10:06 AM

Hi Jon,

I used CCW California (Rob Charny) for my initial and renewal. The class is held at the Hangtown range in Placerville. It's a great course and both Rob and David are excellent instructors. The live fire instruction is done first thing in the morning, the classroom instruction follows and is the remainder of the course.

http://ccwca.com/
Old 07-17-2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06roush View Post
Hi All! Any guidance on preferred CCW training courses in El Dorado county?

Thank you,
Jon
Ive done 4 renewals plus my initial 8 hour. In all honestly the one that Hangtown Range offers (Josh Slater is the instructor) was the best I have attended. Shoot-Dont-Shoot (Scott Frandsen) was the next best....
Old 07-19-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
Ive done 4 renewals plus my initial 8 hour. In all honestly the one that Hangtown Range offers (Josh Slater is the instructor) was the best I have attended. Shoot-Dont-Shoot (Scott Frandsen) was the next best....
+1 for Josh Slater, and Hangtown Range. The MILO system scenarios are also great way to get you thinking.
Old 07-25-2020, 7:56 PM

I had Josh as well last month. My appointment with the sheriff's department in Placerville is in March....2021.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds95991 View Post
I had Josh as well last month. My appointment with the sheriff's department in Placerville is in March....2021.
Did you see if you could do it in South Lake Tahoe office? Saved me like 3 months and it was a nice drive.
Old 08-23-2020, 4:16 PM

Default Roughly 14 months

Fourteen months from application to permit via Placerville office.

April submit application form online
February interview, live-scan $110
May approved pending class
June Take class $200
June processing fee, mailed (no pickup) $80

Process was easy, but prohibitively long and expensive. I do think the poor are disenfranchised of their rights, to the extent I'm wondering if we could have a kickstarter/donation bucket for those who cannot afford their inalienable rights in ElDorado/California.

just fyi,
-edfardos
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 AM

Anyone do an "add weapon" recently? ETA?
Old 09-20-2020, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
Anyone do an "add weapon" recently? ETA?
Yes, due to 15 month waiting period for initial I had made some purchases I wanted to add before I ever got the permit. Sent application to add including completed qualification paperwork from instructor on 7/11/20 & was approved on 8/24. Received updated permit via certified mail a few days after approval.
Old 01-26-2021, 8:56 AM

Applied for a new CCW yesterday. First available Pville interview was June 2022. SMH
Old 01-26-2021, 8:01 PM

18 months? Wow... I wonder if it’s high demand or lack of staffing causing the long waits...
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 PM

Wow, I didn't realize my CCW expires on Feb 22 and I cannot find any classes before then. Does anyone know if there is a grace period of renewal after the expiration date? TIA
Old 02-23-2021, 5:25 PM

I believe you have 90 days from the time it expires to renew. But I’m getting older, and could be wrong.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2021, 5:24 PM

Moved up here last year and just applied for new CCW through the SLT office. 1 week short of a year until my interview. Oh well, at least that will give me time to add another pistol (or two) to my collection. When I talked to the extremely friendly folks at the S.O. they told me they were working hard to get the turn around time down to seven months, but not sure if I will be the beneficiary of that accomplishment if it happens!
Old 03-06-2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
Wow, I didn't realize my CCW expires on Feb 22 and I cannot find any classes before then. Does anyone know if there is a grace period of renewal after the expiration date? TIA
Check out best handgun training. They have classes every weekend and there are always spots

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 3:27 PM

Renewal Timeline:

Applied for Renewal 3/16/21 (expiration of 4/3/21.)

4 hour renewal class at Hangtown Range was last Saturday 4/3/21.

Dropped off Quals, paid my $77.00 and picked up today in one trip.

May have been 1 week turnaround if I had qualified first. Great Service.

FYI they are no longer issuing the "Photo Card" and official document, only the printed 4x3 piece of paper. (not on rice paper though.)

Very happy with my Sheriff
Old 04-17-2021, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduromite View Post
Applied for a new CCW yesterday. First available Pville interview was June 2022. SMH
Update: Received call yesterday EDSO is not requiring interviews now!
Livescan now scheduled for 5/6.
Old 06-11-2021, 9:33 AM

I was very impressed with the El Dorado County Sheriff's CCW staff. I applied on Sept. 9th of 2020, was called to submit my fingerprints on March 22nd of 2021. I received my permit on June 1st of 2021. They have been waiving interviews due to Covid and because of short staff.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:21 PM

Default Approved!!

Applied for New Permit Feb 2021
Interview Date Feb 2022
Called in for LiveScan April 2020
CCW Training @ Hangtown Range Sat. June 12 2020 (Thanks Rob, Dave & DanI!)
Emailed scan of training record Sun. 6/13
Permit APPROVED Monday 6/14/202!!

Excellent training program, Excellent Sheriff and excellent staff!!
Old 10-09-2021, 3:57 PM

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is for renewals in ED County?
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User21c View Post
Does anyone know what the turnaround time is for renewals in ED County?
Thanks.
I renewed in April and I think is was like two weeks for permitium. On approval they issued while I waited after turning in recertification scores.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:12 PM

Not sure if my renewal was out of the ordinary or if it was just really slow at the SO, but I submitted mine 12/15, and it was approved on 12/20. REALLY surprised and happy.
Old 04-26-2022, 6:48 PM

It's getting closer to time to unfortunately say goodbye to our beloved sheriff.
Has anyone Spoken to potential candidates about their ccw policies? It's El Dorado so I'm not worried at all. Just wondering if anyone has some insight.

Old 05-03-2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
It's getting closer to time to unfortunately say goodbye to our beloved sheriff.
Has anyone Spoken to potential candidates about their ccw policies? It's El Dorado so I'm not worried at all. Just wondering if anyone has some insight.

D'Agostini has endorsed Leikauf. Leikauf is also endorsed by Gun Owners of America. I'll let you do the math from there.
Old 05-03-2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Red View Post
D'Agostini has endorsed Leikauf. Leikauf is also endorsed by Gun Owners of America. I'll let you do the math from there.
Thank you. That's what I was looking for

Old 07-10-2022, 1:38 PM

I'm due a renewal and I'm considering Ken Greenwood/Straight Shot Consulting and Hangtown Range since they are close.

So far, Ken seems to be easy to get a hold of and the super small class size held outside seems nice. Not sure on anything about Hangtown Range other than it is relatively new.

How is the "legal" stuff and/or testing?

How about gun qualifications? Do they fully follow El Dorado? Or do they try to combine different county's course of fire?
Old 07-19-2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
I'm due a renewal and I'm considering Ken Greenwood/Straight Shot Consulting and Hangtown Range since they are close.

So far, Ken seems to be easy to get a hold of and the super small class size held outside seems nice. Not sure on anything about Hangtown Range other than it is relatively new.

How is the "legal" stuff and/or testing?

How about gun qualifications? Do they fully follow El Dorado? Or do they try to combine different county's course of fire?
Hangtown Range is GTG.

They follow the ELDO Course of fire, not anything else.

If I remember right, it was 3-5-7 yards (may have been ten..) 5 rounds, reload, 5 rounds. Target then moves to new (further) position. If you ain't clobbering the 9 and 10 zone you aren't really trying.

Good luck and Carry On!
Old 07-21-2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieppe42 View Post
Hangtown Range is GTG.

They follow the ELDO Course of fire, not anything else.

If I remember right, it was 3-5-7 yards (may have been ten..) 5 rounds, reload, 5 rounds. Target then moves to new (further) position. If you ain't clobbering the 9 and 10 zone you aren't really trying.

Good luck and Carry On!
I think I stated my course of fire question somewhat wrong In the past, because every county has a different course of fire(or so it seems), the instructor would run similar courses at the same time(ie all 5 reload 5 would run at the same time at their distances [3, 5, 7, 10, 15, whatever]) Many counties had overlap of distances so this sped up the process a bunch.

I'll have to look at the current El Dorado County course. In the past, I think I remember doing 3, 7, and 15 with 6 reload 6.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:16 PM

Does EDSO have a list of approved instructors for CCW or as long as they are DOJ instructors then it’s ok? In addition, I’m coming from Sac and aside from the instructor certification, is there an EDSO specific form, similar to Sacramento Sheriff’s Department Carry Concealed Handgun Training and Qualification Form, I have to submit?
Old 07-31-2022, 12:17 PM

Does EDSO have a list of approved instructors for CCW or as long as they are DOJ instructors then it’s ok? In addition, I’m coming from Sac and aside from the instructor certification, is there an EDSO specific form, similar to Sacramento Sheriff’s Department Carry Concealed Handgun Training and Qualification Form, I have to submit?
Old 08-04-2022, 3:13 PM

https://www.edcgov.us/Government/she...SES%202021.pdf

https://eldoradoca.permitium.com/ccw/start
Old 08-16-2022, 10:18 AM

Default SB 918

Hi all,
SB 918 is still not law. It only just passed the appropriations and will go before the vote in the assembly soon. Then it goes to the Senate.
NOW is the time to say something to your reps and make your voice heard.

You aren't put on any list and it is your right as a citizen to say something. They count on you NOT saying anything to pass these awful bills.

You can find your representative through this link:
https://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

This is a statement I have been sending to my rep and others:
Hi,
I'm writing to say that I disapprove of State Bill 918 that is coming up for a vote.

SB 918 is a very far reaching and broad bill that concerns every private business. It concerns every citizen's right to have a CCW in our great state. Not only does it make even more locations illegal to carry, it forces every business owner to make a decision if they support our Second Amendment Right. It forces business owners to draw a line that shouldn't be drawn. This brings Private Business, into a political issue.

California already has the toughest application process for gaining this right as a Law Abiding Citizen. We are business owners, workers but most of all; Mothers and Fathers that want a right to protect themselves and their families from real threats in this world. A world that is becoming increasingly dangerous.

The recent Supreme Court decision in NYRPA v. Bruen has officially made the right to Carry a Concealed Weapon, for Self-Defense) every US Citizen's right. SB 918 is an obvious infringement on this right. This bill will be challenged from Day One by many California Gun Rights Groups. These groups(CRPA, GOC, CGRF/Michelle & Assoc., FPC, NRA) have been very successful in challenging laws that infringe on our rights, to the 9th Circuit Level. They have also been successful in getting decisions that prove they are an obvious violation(see; Miller v. Bonta, Duncan v. Bonta etc..).

I am writing to you to voice that this State Bill is too far reaching. This is an unreasonable restriction on an already restricted right.

Please Vote No on SB 918.

Please, look up your representative and make your voice heard. There is literally nothing to lose.
Old 09-02-2022, 2:41 PM

Default Renewal Timeline?

Can anyone tell me how long it’s taken to do a renewal lately? I submitted my renewal application June 7 and there has been no movement. Thanks
Old 03-12-2023, 6:42 AM

Greetings: would anyone care to share the latest regarding new or renewal ccw timelines ~ tia!
Old 04-05-2023, 11:09 PM

8 days from application to live scan
Old 05-15-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrc1 View Post
Can anyone tell me how long it??s taken to do a renewal lately? I submitted my renewal application June 7 and there has been no movement. Thanks
I usually renew a few months out and usually don't get a call from Mary Anne or the new girl until day of or day before expiration. Once my expiration fell on a sunday and she called me Sunday and told me it was ready to pick up. I slid Monday after work on my way home and got it.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:43 PM

Does anyone know if El Dorado has a grace period for expired permits? Sac and Placer county have them, but can?t find any info on EDC website.
Old 07-05-2023, 6:26 AM

Is the actual permit on paper or plastic (sounds like a grocery store)? - tia!