Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > WTB (Want To Buy)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

WTB (Want To Buy) Looking for an item? This is the place to post it! Read the rules before posting.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Firearm Instruction and Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) Testing (Simi Valley / SFV)

*** 50% of all proceeds go to the Calguns Shooting Sports Association (CGSSA) ***

As of March 2013, $140.00 has been donated to CGSSA as a direct result of Calgunners wanting to improve their Marksmanship!

Whether you're looking to buy your first firearm, or are an experienced firearm owner just looking for some help on grouping, technique, or entering competition, I'm here to help. From GLOCKs, to 1911s, I've shot and trained with them all. If you're new to firearms, buying your first can be an overwhelming experience. I am not exactly sure why, but gun stores seem to not be the friendliest places for new and up and coming firearm owners to go and buy their first or second gun.

I primarily work one on one, but if you have a friend, I have no problem working in groups of two or three to help save on some costs, as long as the group is all at the same level of experience.

Firearm instruction

I charge by the hour, ($60 per hour per person) with discounts given to groups of two or three. If you're planing on purchasing your first firearm, and you purchase two hours of instruction from me, I will help you learn basic firearm safety and techniques, shop for a firearm, and find sources for ammunition, parts, and accessories. All range fees, and ammunition costs are in addition to my hourly rate and very from range to range. Let me know you're needs and I'll custom tailor my curriculum for you.

Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) Testing

As of 01/01/2015 with the implementation of SB 685, the current Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) program is being converted into the new Firearm Safety Certificate program (FSC). A current FSC card will now be required for the purchase of both long guns, and handguns. The state set fee of $25 will remain the same, and replacement cards purchased from the same instructor within the valid period will be $5. The test will still be pen and paper, and you will be allowed you two attempts (separated by 24 hours) to attain a passing score (23:30). Study guides are available from the CADOJ website. You can either take the test in conjunction with instruction, or separately. If you're only interested in the FSC test we can either meet up at one of the CGSSA monthly shoots that I attend, or in and/or around the Los Angeles area (DTLA, or SFV). The new cards are issued electronically, and since I won't have a printer with me, I'll have to email you your card after you pass the test.

*If you're new to gun ownership an FSC card is required to purchase, transfer, or be lent a gun in California and must be renewed every five (5) years.

About me

I am the Team Captain of the Calguns.net Shooting Team, and in addition to team competition, I shoot approximately two defensive pistol matches each month in addition to state, regional, and national matches with the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA), and United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA). I'm also an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Certified GLOCK Armorer, and CA DOJ Firearm Safety Instructor. I also regularly shoot several High Power Service Rifle Matches with the NRA in a given year.

Last edited by RoundEye; 01-11-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 4:41 PM

I just wanted to chime in...
I had a lesson this past week. RoundEye took my groups from over five inches at about 21 feet to about an inch at 21 feet. He corrected some errors I was making with the fundamentals and gave me some "homework" as to how to continue to improve. I will be taking more lessons so that I can become a proficient enough shooter to be able to be competitive in GSSF and other organizations.
Thanks RoundEye
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankgonz View Post
I just wanted to chime in...
I had a lesson this past week. RoundEye took my groups from over five inches at about 21 feet to about an inch at 21 feet. He corrected some errors I was making with the fundamentals and gave me some "homework" as to how to continue to improve. I will be taking more lessons so that I can become a proficient enough shooter to be able to be competitive in GSSF and other organizations.
Thanks RoundEye
Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. It was great working with you, and you made some really nice improvements during the lesson. Just remember to work on what we talked about, and practice at the range and at home every chance you get.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:28 PM

Just had my first lesson last night with RoundEye and I am very happy to report that it was extremely helpful. I'd never taken a lesson before last night so this was completely new to me. It was nice to have someone with a lot more experience and knowledge watch me handle/shoot the pistol and point out specific techniques to improve my results. Prior to this lesson, it was very frustrating for me to be off target but not have the knowledge to make the appropriate corrections. I now have a much better understanding of what I need to do to dial in my shot thanks to RoundEye's terrific instruction.

RoundEye himself is super nice and has a very easy going personality. I felt totally comfortable with him (iow not creepy or nutty) and would definitely recommend his services to anyone - from total novice to expert - looking to improve their shooting skills.

Thanks for the great lesson RoundEye!

nexusteve
Old 03-15-2013, 9:30 PM

First time out shooting, ever. Roundeye helped get me comfortable with a firearm, went through all the basic safety and other items to get me comfortable. Learned a ton he got me out shooting quickly. Extremely friendly an you can tell he enjoys teaching.

Here is one of my targets after corrections he made on my placement of trigger finger and grip.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363411505.170513.jpg

I was expecting for my first time after a couple hours to learn the basics and be able to hold the gun; but he helped me correct errors right away and improve my accuracy.

Great guy and professional.

Yoinger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-15-2013, 9:35 PM

Where do you prefer to teach?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Same question as FlyDive, what range are you associated with?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDive View Post
Where do you prefer to teach?
I'm located in Northridge, which is about 30/40 minutes north of DTLA in the north end of the SFV. I try not to venture for instruction to far put of this area as it become cost prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbob1 View Post
Same question as FlyDive, what range are you associated with?
I'm not associated with any range in particular, only the NRA, Calguns.net and the CGSSA.
Old 03-27-2013, 4:12 PM

So Firingline in Burbank isn't too far then? Would I have to pay your range fee there or do you have a membership?
Old 03-27-2013, 4:40 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff45 View Post
So Firingline in Burbank isn't too far then? Would I have to pay your range fee there or do you have a membership?
No, The Firing Line in Burbank works perfect for me. I'm a member there, so no fees to worry about other than the hourly rate, your range fee, and ammunition (assuming you have your own firearm).
Old 04-02-2013, 9:34 PM

Just got back from the range with Chad. I had just recently started shooting again and Chad helped me correct some of the things I was doing wrong. My groups started to tighten up before the hour was through! He's easy to talk to and makes you feel comfortable. I highly recommend him if you're looking for pistol shooting instruction!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM

I'm interested. Do I get a discount for being a role model member of calguns?

Old 04-04-2013, 8:28 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
I'm interested. Do I get a discount for being a role model member of calguns?

If you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach!

I only offer discounts for groups of two or more, but they need to be at the same level to 100% benefit from the instruction. There is the comfort in knowing that 50% of the funds will got to the cause...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM

I would like to sign my son up for FA instruction. He is 16, almost 17 (June). Do you offer classes for someone his age? I would like to be part of the instruction/training. I might even include the fiancee, if that's okay.
Old 04-21-2013, 1:09 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_hotlead View Post
I would like to sign my son up for FA instruction. He is 16, almost 17 (June). Do you offer classes for someone his age? I would like to be part of the instruction/training. I might even include the fiancee, if that's okay.
PM Sent!
Old 05-06-2013, 4:11 PM

Default Instruction

Sent you a PM, but in case you don't get it. I'm interested in gun instruction, I live in Burbank & I'm a member of the Firing Line. Nephew may be interested as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:40 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by menancyandsam View Post
Sent you a PM, but in case you don't get it. I'm interested in gun instruction, I live in Burbank & I'm a member of the Firing Line. Nephew may be interested as well.
PM Sent!
Old 06-12-2013, 1:26 PM

Just want to say that me & my nephew had our first training session with Chad. He is very professional & gave of each a lot of great advise & suggested technique that help us improve our shooting. Highly recommend him.
Old 07-27-2013, 7:01 PM

my wife and I just got home from some training with Chad.

I will write a review later on how it impacted us, but let me summarize.

this was probably the best money we have ever spent on the hobby.

Chad was professional, encouraging and challenging.

if you arw on the fence, jump over
Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 AM

If you're a new shooter, or just as clueless to what you're doing as I was, call Chad!! I went from shooting everything but the target to some pretty decent groupings after just 20 minutes. I was in shock as to how much I had been doing wrong, and Chad quickly remedied those issues. The lessons were amazing, and Chad was suuuuuper patient. We actually got to range an hour early so I had time to pick his brain & ask questions that I had been wanting to ask an experienced shooter. That too was a valuable experience! Now that I have the fundamentals in place I'll be practicing on my own, and then I'll definitely be calling Chad back for a "review" session!! Thanks again Chad!!
Old 08-08-2013, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Highly Recommend; Great Coach!

I had my first 1:1 instruction with Chad last night. Great guy, very friendly, easy to talk to, down to earth, sincere, and most of all a great teacher. I was very specific with my goal and his tips were very helpful.

From the get-go, he corrected my grip and my trigger pull (placement of trigger finger, follow through), which made a difference - that night and tonight when I went to the range again to practice. There are many factors to accurate target shooting and I just need to practice more knowing what I know now.

What I liked the best about his approach was when he broke down the different components of shooting - grip, trigger pull, follow through, breathing, stance, sight alignment, sight picture. He tried to isolate the "mistakes" and helped me assess what I might have done incorrectly on specific shots. He tried to identify the variances between shots with a goal of achieving consistency on each and every shot. That approach was very helpful as it was like trouble-shooting an issue - very specific and just what I needed.

I learned a lot in the hour or so, not only how to more accurately shoot my handgun with the many tips that he gave, but also about competition (GSSF, IDPA, etc.), discounts on buying a gun, CGSSA, CGF and he even connected me with a fellow gunner to get the things that I need for a great price. I felt that he had my best interest and that was very important.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Chad to anyone, especially to my family and friends who are looking to get into the hobby or improving their skill. It was without a doubt a worthwhile spend of resources - time and money. In fact, I will see him again for a follow up session to continue improving my skill - to tweak things a little bit. I want to continue to learn from a great shooter and coach, and Chad is that person!
Old 09-20-2013, 2:57 PM

Took the HSC test from Chad - great guy, great test. Highly recommended.
Old 10-01-2013, 3:41 PM

I meet with Chad a few nights ago for pistol instruction. He is very personable and a great coach.

I would recommend anyone looking at improving their shooting meet with Chad. The improvement in hour of coaching is well worth the money, and much cheaper in ammunition costs than struggling to improve by yourself.
Old 10-02-2013, 6:39 PM

Thumbs up Marksmanship Training with RoundEye

After attending a WOT Pistol class where RoundEye was a primary instructor, I met with him a couple of weeks ago to work on improving my marksmanship, specifically correcting a tendency to pull low left and to develop better grouping. Within an hour of instruction at 21 feet, the low left pull was gone and most of my groupings had migrated to within 3 or less inches of each other. More importantly, working with RoundEye allowed me to identify the issues with grip and trigger-pull that were creating the problems. RoundEye is an expert instructor, and an easygoing and encouraging teacher. After our lesson he also followed up with an email outlining the points we discussed, as well as reminders about grip and trigger-pull. I recommend him wholeheartedly and hope to return for another lesson after dedicating some time to practicing.
Old 10-23-2013, 7:26 PM

I had a training session with Chad this past weekend. He's a great instructor. He was extremely patient and genuinely cared about improving my skills. I would highly recommend him to anyone in search of quality training.
Old 12-22-2013, 9:30 AM

PM Sent, Interested in more information! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 3:18 PM

just out of curosity, do you meet in LA as well? i normally go to the Los Angeles gun club, so anywhere in that area?
Old 12-28-2014, 9:03 PM
CGSSA Director

Default Firearm Safety Certification Available!

As of January 1, 2015, with the implementation of SB 685, the current Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) program is being converted into the new Firearm Safety Certificate program (FSC). Your existing HSC card will be good for the purchase of handguns until it expires, but a current FSC card will now be required for the purchase of both long guns, and handguns. The state set fee of $25 will remain the same, and replacement cards purchased from the same instructor within the valid period will be $5. The test will still be pen and paper, and you will be allowed you two attempts (separated by 24 hours) to attain a passing score (23:30). Study guides are available from the CADOJ website. You can either take the test in conjunction with instruction, or separately. If you're only interested in the FSC test we can either meet up at one of the CGSSA monthly shoots that I attend, or in and/or around the Los Angeles area (DTLA, or SFV). The new cards are issued electronically, and since I won't have a printer with me, I'll have to email you your card after you pass the test.

*If you're new to gun ownership an FSC card is required to purchase, transfer, or be lent a gun in California and must be renewed every five (5) years.

Last edited by RoundEye; 12-28-2014 at 9:08 PM..
Old 01-11-2021, 10:11 AM
CGSSA Director

Default Now offering FSC Testing in Simi Valley

I'm now available for FSC Testing in Simi Valley.