Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Default g26 lights

is the tlr6 the only option without adding a rail?
seems fine for what it is, but i'm not a fan of the side button.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, options are limited - unless you go funky like adding a pic rail to the magazine base. Personally I think the best solution is to buy another Glock
Old 04-07-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I have the rail from Recover Tactical.

https://www.amazon.com/Recover-Tacti...7823862&sr=8-2

With a Mini Olight.

https://www.olightstore.com/olight-p...2-black-1.html

Glock26_OLight_Resized.jpg
Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Depending if you want to go full crazy spend a thon you could buy a Glock 19 and have the grip cut to 26 length.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

StreamLight TLR6 light and/or laser. The better option is a G19 with a cut down grip to G26 length for a G26 long slide.
Old 04-07-2021, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post
How hard is it to find holsters for that?

It took me forever to find holsters for my P80 version with the Viridian CTL Light on it. OWB ran me a little over $50 from R&R Holsters. For an IWB I paid $100 from DME Holsters. Just ordered that one. Not sure how it will work. Rand Holsters (R&R) have always been good to me however.

As for the TLR-6, the side button isn't bad. You get used to it. What I wish was better was the brightness of the light itself. But beggars cannot be choosers on this. I am running a TRL-6 on my G26 and on my full size Sig 1911 TTT. Again, I had to hunt pretty hard for the 1911 holster. I forget who made that for me. But it was pricey. Rand (R&R) made the ones for the Glock for me. Got an OWB and and IWB.

Just decided to sell mine in the marketplace. If it sells it sells. If not I'll keep it. This is a nice little gun. Not in too big of a hurry to part with it. Even if I have more guns than a small country.

What sights are you running OP? I have Ameriglo Spartans on mine. Really nice, easy to pickup (see/use). I put them on my P80 version as well.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-07-2021 at 2:27 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
You can train with that button location.

Also, since thatís a common light, holsters are easier to find with that combo.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 04-07-2021, 4:41 PM

yep, looks like holster choice may be the deciding factor.
nothing else matters if i don't have it on me.
Old 04-07-2021, 4:51 PM

Just get a Glock 19. Much easier to shoot, the muzzle isn't the part of the gun that prints, and then you can have a real light instead of a 90 lumen map light.
Old 04-07-2021, 7:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Just get a Glock 19. Much easier to shoot, the muzzle isn't the part of the gun that prints, and then you can have a real light instead of a 90 lumen map light.
Yep, Glock 19 all the way with a real light. If you want a small Glock get the 43. Itís a great little gun.
Old 04-07-2021, 9:00 PM

I actually walked in looking for a 19, but no idea on arrival date. I'll take what I can get for now. Kinda liked the 26 tbh, except for the dangling pinky. But got some Pearce extensions for that.
Old 04-07-2021, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

The grip on the 26 is a brick.
Old 04-08-2021, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post
This is how I did it with my g26 as well.

Holster options are limited but recover tactical has them listed on their website fortunately!
Old 04-08-2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
What is a TLR6?
Old 04-08-2021, 6:19 PM
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor

I have 2 TLR-6s. If you train with a 2-hand hold, being able to reach & push the button becomes easy.
Old 04-08-2021, 6:22 PM
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatPunkGirl View Post
What is a TLR6?
Look at post #6 and the laser+light device in front of the trigger guard.

It is Streamlight's solution for adding a light & laser to pistols that do not have an integral rail.
Old 04-13-2021, 7:57 PM

Already ordered my tlr6 but randomly ran across this crimson trace. Dunno what the current thoughts are on CT these days but it's another option for anyone out there.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...0.html#start=1
Old 04-14-2021, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Yep, Glock 19 all the way with a real light. If you want a small Glock get the 43. Itís a great little gun.
yep I agree, the G26 isn't the ideal platform for mounting a light, go small with G34, G26 or similar for concealment. I bought a G22 and G20 for mounting a light. Think about the environments where you would realistically use a light. I figure around the house or camping a full size pistol is better than a gobbed up G26. In the environments that I would use a light I could easily conceal a full size handgun if I needed to. For my experience the G26 is all about concealment, lights make that more troublesome.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
The grip on the 26 is a brick.
stop insulting bricks, that being said, the grip on my G26 with a G19 mag and the X-grip slip on is the perfect fit in my hand, really nice.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Already ordered my tlr6 but randomly ran across this crimson trace. Dunno what the current thoughts are on CT these days but it's another option for anyone out there.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...0.html#start=1
Holsters seem to be hard to find for those. I looked, but went with the TLR6. CT is usually good quality though.

-----------------------------

I've got a TLR6 on one of my Shields. It's not a crazy bright light, but is adequate and it fits a holster. Handheld lights that are in the 1000 lumen range are really small these days, no reason you can't have both. I'm always surprised at the number of people that don't like WMLs for concealed carry. Stupid things often happen at night.

I've got a Surefire X300 on the 19, but a Shield fits the waistband better. I know, I know, carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
Holsters seem to be hard to find for those. I looked, but went with the TLR6. CT is usually good quality though.

-----------------------------

I've got a TLR6 on one of my Shields. It's not a crazy bright light, but is adequate and it fits a holster. Handheld lights that are in the 1000 lumen range are really small these days, no reason you can't have both. I'm always surprised at the number of people that don't like WMLs for concealed carry. Stupid things often happen at night.

I've got a Surefire X300 on the 19, but a Shield fits the waistband better. I know, I know, carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.
The reasoning is you shouldn’t use your WML as a flashlight and point the gun at something/someone you don’t want to destroy.

Cops have them as they may be clearing buildings etc. One may not even have time to turn on the light in response to an attack on the street.

At home, sure. A WML isn’t a bad idea, although I rather have a handheld flashlight to identify my target first and a gun in the other hand at low ready.
YMMV

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 04-14-2021 at 12:25 PM..
Old 04-14-2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
The reasoning is you shouldn’t use your WML as a flashlight and point the gun at something/someone you don’t want to destroy.

Cops have them as they may be clearing buildings etc. One may not even have time to turn on the light in response to an attack on the street.

At home, sure. A WML isn’t a bad idea, although I rather have a handheld flashlight to identify my target first and a gun in the other hand at low ready.
YMMV
It's an incorrect assumption that you must directly point a WML at something to use its light, or that the use of one precludes the other. The light can illuminate an area without pointing it directly at something unknown. If you have time to draw a gun, you have time to flick a paddle or push a button, the time argument makes no sense to me. Drawing from concealment while holding a handheld light in one hand and firing a handgun in the other puts you at more of a disadvantage than a WML with regard to time. Even if you're using a proper technique to hold both. A proper two hand grip on a handgun is superior to a one hand grip or one of the many techniques for shooting with a handheld light. Which is still a good skill to have whether you use a WML or not. Not to mention things like getting out of a vehicle, grabbing your kid by the arm, etc, etc.

In the sentence prior to the bold portion you quoted, I mentioned good 1000 lumen lights are very small and easy to carry. You can have both. In most cases where you need to illuminate something like your trunk or look for your keys or see something moving in the darkness (probably a cat), just use a regular flashlight. They're pretty handy, even if you don't/can't carry a gun. I'm not pulling a handgun to look for the keys I just dropped under the car.

The notion that WMLs are good at home is just the same as my reason for having them whenever possible. At home I have the advantage of knowing where my light switches are and being able to control them. Low light areas outside the home, probably not. Again, you can still use a regular flashlight at home, you're at no disadvantage when you have both.

So again, I have no idea why people are averse to having BOTH. What do you have to lose? Having a WML allows you to drop a flashlight (intentionally or by accident), get two hands on the gun or use your support hand for something else. Two hands on the gun makes your shots more likely to go where you need them to. We spend thousands on guns, ammo, holsters, range fees and training, what's a hundred bucks for a decent light?
Old 04-14-2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post

So again, I have no idea why people are averse to having BOTH. What do you have to lose?
1/3rd of LA Sheriff's negligent discharges came from manipulating their light. I don't know how much low light training they receive, but it's probably more than you and about 99% of Calguns has received.

Criminals need to see you to victimize you. What are you doing in the dark? When was the last time you needed a flashlight to see where you were or where you were going?

Lot's of ninjas on this forum think their magic solution is to stick a light on their gun, a gun they have no training with, and a light that will, if we use the LASD numbers, increase your chance of an ND by 50%.

Old 04-14-2021, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
1/3rd of LA Sheriff's negligent discharges came from manipulating their light. I don't know how much low light training they receive, but it's probably more than you and about 99% of Calguns has received.

Criminals need to see you to victimize you. What are you doing in the dark? When was the last time you needed a flashlight to see where you were or where you were going?

Lot's of ninjas on this forum think their magic solution is to stick a light on their gun, a gun they have no training with, and a light that will, if we use the LASD numbers, increase your chance of an ND by 50%.

When you accidentally shoot the kid sneaking in at 3 am because you are confident it's an intruder and your kid would NEVER sneak out...you'll wish you had a light.

Or the neighbor kid being stupid...but ultimately harmless.

Target identification is critical. A bullet is forever. You can't take it back.

As for the training most police officers receive, it's pretty bad. You can't cite their incompetence as an example of the dangers of using certain equipment and be taken seriously. All this proves is their training is woefully inadequate. Not just in the use of lights, but firearms themselves. Most only hit the range when it is time to qualify. Most have to be dragged across that finish line with the instructors holding their hands the whole way. Sadly the same is true for the military as well.

Now specialized units come with increased training and increased expectation to keep up that training and skill level. Everybody else, unless self-motivated (which is rare) is woefully incompetent.

So if your standard is the training the average soldier or police officer receives, it's pretty damn low. I am not saying most civilians have better training. But the bar is no where near as high as one would think. Those that do decided to take some courses from reputable schools, and keep that training up, will be drastically better trained than the average police officer or soldier. Wish that were not true. But it is.

A lot of people will be offended by that. But I've had that training from the military. It sucked. Oh man did it suck. I had no idea how bad it sucked until I sought out private training. It was drastically better. I've trained by side LEOs from various PDs, Sheriffs Departments, and Federal Agencies. Trained beside Marines, etc. SWAT guys were great. Spec Ops guys were awesome. They were usually teaching the courses. Everybody else, and I mean everybody else, seriously sucked. Until they got done with that training, and even more training, all of which exceeded what their agencies provide. Worst example I've seen was a guy from the Border Patrol. He was terrible. Now of course, that doesn't mean they are all terrible. But more are than you would hope.

Now that is not to say there are not regular beat cops, and even pencil pushing detectives and administrators that aren't serious bad asses. They are the exception not the rule.

Why are most cops horribly incompetent with firearms? The most obvious and common reason is these people have lives outside of their careers as police officers. Their departments want their on the clock time spent on patrol, or chasing cases. Not going to the range two-three hours a day. Or even two to three hours a month. Not while on the clock. They also have wives and kids at home who want them going to soccer games on the weekends, and home for dinner at night. Spending those extra hours at the range, focused on work stuff during family time is not an option. Even though it should be.

Why is the same true of most military? (Not talking infantry or more specialized units but everyone else). The military is fricking cheap. Doesn't want to spent the money on the ammo training people who will likely not see combat.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-14-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Old 04-14-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
When you accidentally shoot the kid sneaking in at 3 am because you are confident it's an intruder and your kid would NEVER sneak out...you'll wish you had a light.

Or the neighbor kid being stupid...but ultimately harmless.

Target identification is critical. A bullet is forever. You can't take it back.

Quote:
As for the training most police officers receive, it's pretty bad. You can't cite their incompetence as an example of the dangers of using certain equipment and be taken seriously.
Of course I can. What percentage of others that have posted on this thread, or have lights on their guns on Calguns have received more training than the LASD?

Quote:
All this proves is their training is woefully inadequate. Not just in the use of lights, but firearms themselves. Most only hit the range when it is time to qualify. Most have to be dragged across that finish line with the instructors holding their hands the whole way. Sadly the same is true for the military as well.
So you have received less than, as much as, or more structured, formal firearms and low light TTPs than the average law enforcement officer?

I'll share my low light training C/V and you do as well.

1 full day of low light training with a former Gunsite instructor.
1 half day (of a 2 day class) of low light training with a former member of the Army's Delta Force
1 half day low light class with members of a local cities SWAT team.

Now you go.

Last edited by jessegpresley; 04-14-2021 at 10:27 PM..