Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Default You find it nice to be reloading when others can't even feed their firearms now?

I had a stuck case and dropped the upper off w/a smith at a LGS, and while waiting outside to pick-up for my turn someone pulled my phone out of my holster... turned around and a coworker was there to pickup her Glock from jail. She lives like 20 miles from that shop, so what a coincidence...

Her 1st 9mm, but her hubby has PLENTY of guns, mainly rifles. She always talks about how she was always brainwashed her whole life by the left, until she left the big-city life, and she is NOW HARD-right, and pro-Trump. Before I got a range membership, she used to let me shoot on her property in the sticks, and they avid gun users. Since this is their 1st handgun in that caliber, she can't get much ammo because of the run right now of those panic-buying (her included).

The last time I went to the range, only about 1/4 of members were not reloading, and I scavved their brass with their permission (or they didn't clean up, so I "cleaned house").

Just like the last run, and with the violent left these days, I am glad I have the ability to load most of the calibers I shoot, and don't have to rely on retail ammo (and a tax called a background check) to have additional peace of mind. As I mentioned in some previous posts, a neighbor near my house I overheard only has a single box of 20-25 HD/SD ammo, and his girl said something close to "Why did you get so many?".

Last edited by the86d; 06-27-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 06-28-2020, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well, one doesn't have to be "HARD-right", or necessarily pro-Trump, to be pro-2A (I'm a Liberal and am very pro-2A, though neither a leftist nor a Democrat). With that said....

You are absolutely right about reloading and its benefits. Unfortunately, the ranges out here are still closed at present because "Gov. Blackface" here in Virginia (a Bloomberg-funded hard-leftist) doesn't believe that ranges are "essential". Therefore, we haven't been able to shoot for the last three months. But I've got my .38 Spl and .357M ready to rock 'n' roll once they do reopen. Like you, I reload most of the chamberings that I shoot, the sole exception being .22LR. Should unrest come to my locale, we are sufficiently stocked with tools to defend ourselves if, FSM forbid, that is needed.

Keep on keepin' on, brother, and continue following the Holy command to Keep Thy Brass!
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 06-29-2020, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I had a stuck case and dropped the upper off w/a smith at a LGS, and while waiting outside to pick-up for my turn someone pulled my phone out of my holster... turned around and a coworker was there to pickup her Glock from jail. She lives like 20 miles from that shop, so what a coincidence...

Her 1st 9mm, but her hubby has PLENTY of guns, mainly rifles. She always talks about how she was always brainwashed her whole life by the left, until she left the big-city life, and she is NOW HARD-right, and pro-Trump. Before I got a range membership, she used to let me shoot on her property in the sticks, and they avid gun users. Since this is their 1st handgun in that caliber, she can't get much ammo because of the run right now of those panic-buying (her included).

The last time I went to the range, only about 1/4 of members were not reloading, and I scavved their brass with their permission (or they didn't clean up, so I "cleaned house").

Just like the last run, and with the violent left these days, I am glad I have the ability to load most of the calibers I shoot, and don't have to rely on retail ammo (and a tax called a background check) to have additional peace of mind. As I mentioned in some previous posts, a neighbor near my house I overheard only has a single box of 20-25 HD/SD ammo, and his girl said something close to "Why did you get so many?".
Dang 20 rounds of ammo? What's he planning to do, start a war?
That's like two full magazines!
It's crazy these days, all these people with arsenals in their house. 20...dang, keep an eye on him lady!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 06-29-2020, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
You find it nice to be reloading when others can't even feed their firearms now?

Reloaded 40k rounds o' ammo in '98 - '99 with a friend, in anticipation of Y2k. We were reloadin' mofo's - reloading 5 - 7 nights a week at times!

I still HAVE some of that ammo!
Old 06-29-2020, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, I am happy to have been reloading and stocking up for years.
Old 06-29-2020, 4:24 PM

Between reloading and stocking up on 22LR and 12 gauge bird shot, i get plenty of range time, but with the recent rioting and looting the one ammo i wish i had stocked more of is 12 gauge buck shot and slugs.
Old 06-29-2020, 5:29 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
"Why did you get so many?".
You and your ARSEnal
Old 06-29-2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d

You find it nice to be reloading when others can't even feed their firearms now?

Yessir, nice indeed. And having dies to reload all the calibers I'm shooting makes me a happy camper. Although, I've been reloading so much lately that I might get low on powder and primers as we get to end of the year.
Old 06-29-2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Reloaded 40k rounds o' ammo in '98 - '99 with a friend, in anticipation of Y2k. We were reloadin' mofo's - reloading 5 - 7 nights a week at times!

I still HAVE some of that ammo!

Yep,

When I was recuperating from a broken ankle I had two months of "house arrest". When I was finally cleared to go back to work I had loaded 5 thousand rounds of 5.56, 1000 rounds of 9mm and assorted tallies of 45 ACP, 357 magnum and a crap load of 38 spl. (My sons were little then and they loved my 38's)

I still occasionally come across some of that stash deep in my storage.

Steve in N CA
Old 06-30-2020, 9:00 AM

It's crazy now at the LGS or anywhere online. I can't even find SPP anywhere!!!
Old 06-30-2020, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Asupport View Post
It's crazy now at the LGS or anywhere online. I can't even find SPP anywhere!!!
Do you even INTERNET, BRUH?!

IRL, GOOGLE-FU is going past the first 2-3 (or 10 in the case of a run?) pages of sold out items, and checking every link... it just takes patience...

During the last shortage, I used SPP's, and SRP's for the opposite, and I wasn'loading max loads with no major difference, aside from CCI #51's (magnum equiv?) that were yeilding about +50fps in my M9 9mm...

Merry Christmas?

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/prime...small%20pistol

Last edited by the86d; 06-30-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Dang, I did a quick search and yeah, primers are out everywhere!
Even ... percussion caps!

I guess, what the heck, if you have a black powder gun, might as well be prepared!

Now of course, for us old timers, this is just another panic wave and having weathered a few of them, we bought when previous panics subsided. But still, that's crazy.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Do you even INTERNET, BRUH?!

IRL, GOOGLE-FU is going past the first 2-3 (or 10 in the case of a run?) pages of sold out items, and checking every link... it just takes patience...

During the last shortage, I used SPP's, and SRP's for the opposite, and I wasn'loading max loads with no major difference, aside from CCI #51's (magnum equiv?) that were yeilding about +50fps in my M9 9mm...

Merry Christmas?

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/prime...small%20pistol
Hey dude, you should probably be aware that both ammoseek and gunbot are not always up to date with actual stock.

Also, the link you have shows primer strips... but just the strips, you have to put your own primers in there bruh.

If you look hard enough you'll find primers, but at inflated prices or limited to one box. Not worth it right now for me, I'm waiting a few months as I have enough ammo and supplies at the moment
Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Last time I calculated my reloading supply's, I realized I was short of rifle barrels.

Best
caveman
Old 06-30-2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofgamblers View Post
Hey dude, you should probably be aware that both ammoseek and gunbot are not always up to date with actual stock.

Also, the link you have shows primer strips... but just the strips, you have to put your own primers in there bruh.

If you look hard enough you'll find primers, but at inflated prices or limited to one box. Not worth it right now for me, I'm waiting a few months as I have enough ammo and supplies at the moment
On top of the 1 box, the infamous Haz fee....
Old 07-01-2020, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I loaded up prior to July, 2019. Is there an ammo shortage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-02-2020, 4:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofgamblers View Post

You are right. I did a quick search from my tablet at work on my lunch, my bad. However, I was able to find SMP primers and a few places one could backorder... following my instructions in the rest of my post, you quoted.

I only have one shorter smoke grenade box completely full of SPP(~50%), and SRP(~50%), because I learned from the last run on everything.
I don't think I have had less than 5000 SPP or 5000 SRP in many years.
When/If this blows over, I think all here should do the same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I loaded up prior to July, 2019. Is there an ammo shortage?
I keep hearing that there is... ... ...
I'm probably going to hit the range this weekend, and have all the lanes to myself.

Last edited by the86d; 07-02-2020 at 4:42 AM..
Old 07-02-2020, 4:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes. I am checking my components to see if I need anything. I found a bunch of copper .224 I bought at gun show in Pasadena texas years ago. Texans then did not like to use them. I bought 2k it looks like. They were upstairs in with shotgun components I do not load anymore. Also found .277 150 nosler partition bullets and I have not loaded that for 15 years.
Old 07-02-2020, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

In the past 4 months I have loaded 5k-6k mixed pistol and rifle rounds(9mm, 45acp, .223, .308). Wading through brass I've had stored for years. I've got most of it boxed, sealed in ammo cans, and waiting to be stored. Working on my final caliber that has lots of brass(38 Super).