Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

I have mine folded in half with 4 business cards/DL and 2 credit cards sandwiched. Been this way for 8+ years. I have had to show it ONE time when pulled over by CHP for making a right hand on a red light that had a sign that said no rights on red. I did not receive a ticket after he talked with me on "why I had a CCW". This was at least 7 years ago.

a bit of used brass for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post24469786
Old 06-30-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
I have mine folded in half with 4 business cards/DL and 2 credit cards sandwiched. Been this way for 8+ years. I have had to show it ONE time when pulled over by CHP for making a right hand on a red light that had a sign that said no rights on red. I did not receive a ticket after he talked with me on "why I had a CCW". This was at least 7 years ago.

I’m always wondering why LEOs may ask “why you need a CCW”.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post

Folding over might be a good way to go. I, personally, like a thinner/smaller wallet. Just a few cards, medical card, driver's license, and now the ccw permit.

No cash, no coupons, no club cards - nothing.

I don't know how some of you manage, with 4 inch thick wallets that weigh 5lbs or more
Old 06-30-2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzbike View Post
^^^^ Be careful! Don’t be in a situation where you have to produce your license. Neither of what you’re carrying will suffice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Geoffrey...-/162388893775
May be the case with your IA but per my IA they agreed my idea was acceptable.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
May be the case with your IA but per my IA they agreed my idea was acceptable.
The problem won't be your IA, it'll be the other county's IA that takes issue
Old 06-30-2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
The problem won't be your IA, it'll be the other county's IA that takes issue
I am not aware of any law requiring you to carry the official license? Do you have any actual examples of people running into to trouble? I will concede it certainly is ideal to have the actual license. But you could run into trouble even if you have everything in perfect order (ie think San Francisco).

You carry on how you see fit and I will do the same. I appreciate your advice. If they would make the hard card the official license it would make things easier.
Old 06-30-2020, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^^^ Be careful! Don’t be in a situation where you have to produce your license. Neither of what you’re carrying will suffice.
Suffice for what? Please cite the Penal Code section which requires the carry of the license or penalizes the absence of the actual license.

While I don't recommend not carrying the license, I'd like to know to what are you referring.

ETA: JM hit it.
Old 06-30-2020, 8:30 PM

^^^
I’m referring, as previously stated, to information furnished by my IA. I didn’t ask them to “cite the Penal Code section”.
Old 06-30-2020, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^^
I’m referring, as previously stated, to information furnished by my IA. I didn’t ask them to “cite the Penal Code section”.
Fine. What did they say won't suffice and why?
Old 06-30-2020, 9:39 PM

Again, my IA stated that “ The card that some IA’s issue is not your license. You must carry your rice paper.”

This was information given by my IA. I’m not sure this is worth debating. Every individual is perfectly capable of making their own good decisions. I’m going to do as I was instructed. I cherish my CCW, and I will always carry the proper identification, as per my IA.
Old 06-30-2020, 9:59 PM

More of an answer to Dvrjon’s question. The specifics would be that the card would not suffice secondary to the fact that it’s not the official document, and the rice paper is.
Y’all have fun and be safe!
Old 07-01-2020, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
More of an answer to Dvrjon’s question. The specifics would be that the card would not suffice secondary to the fact that it’s not the official document, and the rice paper is.
Y’all have fun and be safe!
Thanks, much clearer. The term I was struggling with is “sufficient”.

The difference between the actual rice paper license and the credit card-style IDs was run down in Post 6.

While the cc form may not be the true license, it should be sufficient to provide the LEO the information needed to allow them to confirm the CCW and the registration of the possessed weapon to that CCW.

The take-aways here are:
1. It’s always the Licensee’s responsibility to show they are exempt from CA PC 25400 by adequately proving they are licensed.
2. There may be encounters where neither document is “sufficient” to keep LEO from delaying or detaining you.
3. While one can be charged with failure to carry/present a Driver License, one cannot be charged with failure to carry the CCW.
4. It is difficult to meet IA requirements to present the license to LEOs if one doesn’t carry it.

Best.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 07-01-2020 at 6:26 AM..
Old 07-01-2020, 6:24 AM

Yes, you covered it well in Post 6. Sometimes when I see a lot of legalese coming my way, I may skim a little. My own folly. However, we all greatly appreciate the legal perspective that you provide, on a regular basis.

My particular IA no longer issues the cc.
Happy 4th!
Old 07-01-2020, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Thanks, much clearer. The term I was struggling with is “sufficient”.

The difference between the actual rice paper license and the credit card-style IDs was run down in Post 6.

While the cc form may not be the true license, it should be sufficient to provide the LEO the information needed to allow them to confirm the CCW and the registration of the possessed weapon to that CCW.

The take-aways here are:
1. It’s always the Licensee’s responsibility to show they are exempt from CA PC 25400 by adequately proving they are licensed.
2. There may be encounters where neither document is “sufficient” to keep LEO from delaying or detaining you.
3. While one can be charged with failure to carry/present a Driver License, one cannot be charged with failure to carry the CCW.
4. It is difficult to meet IA requirements to present the license to LEOs if one doesn’t carry it.

Best.
Effectively, all this just means you need to carry the state recognized license (the rice paper) - otherwise you're guaranteed to have a bad time outside your IA's county.

Even though you might get hassled by some LEO's (like in SF for example) even if you have the rice paper license - you're practically guaranteed to be hassled if all you have is some ad-hoc laminated rectangle your IA decided to make up.

And while you may not be charged for failing to carry the CCW permit - I think being charged for carrying a concealed firearm in public without sufficient acceptable evidence of being permitted to do so is far worse, no?

Lastly, your IA can still get upset if you don't carry the rice paper and they've specifically said you must present it to LEO upon contact - which could lead to a denial when you come up for renewal.

I guess it depends how much you like having a CCW, and how cavalier you are and your risk tolerance.