Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Riverside Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 9:53 AM

Default I need a shooting plan

Hope you understood the title.

I plan to shoot an AR 15 this coming Monday at Lytle Creek. The first time I went there, I zeroed it at 25 yards. I had a great time.

My question is "What next?" should I work on? I don't want to go without some sort of purpose because I will just end up wasting ammo. I was thinking about zeroing at either 50 or 100 yards. Or, I suppose I could work on grouping.

I'm new to guns and posted requests already for tips on improving my pistol shooting, which some of you may have read. Yes! I'm all over the map with shooting, but I really enjoy the AR shooting.

So, what suggestions do you experienced AR shooters have for my next trip?

There is only one other thing that I have much to learn, and that is how to find what I am looking for here at Calguns. So if you have a link to what purposeful activities I can do (the range is outdoors and is from 10 to 300 yards), I would appreciate it.

Also, just as I am exploring a group to join for pistol shooting, I am wondering if there is such a group for AR shooting. I am sure that they must certainly have some kind of game plan whenever they go to practice.

Thanks again, in advance, for sending me your thoughts or ideas.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Zeroing at 50 and 100 yards would also be good. I would also practice getting comfortable making shots out to the 300 yard target. I have some suggestions for more tactical oriented training, but it would probably require you to find a range that would be accepting to that or plan on making a trip further up the 15 freeway to high desert BLM land. At established gun ranges, you are pretty much limited to what you have been doing already, which is standing or sitting on the bench and slow firing at targets. This is great for sighting in a rifle's iron sights or optic and checking the functionality of the weapon, but not much more. Of course this is for safety reasons.

If you're looking to get into rapid fire, practicing reloading, shooting on the move, and multiple target engagement, I highly recommend BLM land up toward Barstow or beyond. You will have more options to practice these types of things with your AR, which can be a lot of fun.
Old 02-22-2018, 1:37 PM

I agree with sighting at the 50/200yd (same poi) or 100yd, as those are the most common for that platform.

Then work on your marksmanship in different positions at the 50-100yd.

If you're using plinking ammo and no magnification, anything past 300yd and you can start assuming you're hitting the equipment limitation. Ie, if your setup is getting you 3moa, 300yd means you inherently have a 9" group with flawless marksmanship.

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 02-22-2018, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

try to find drills that you can run with the limitations of a public shooting range in mind.

what i'm starting to do is this:

Using some 5in-10in targets at 25 yards (paste a few of them in a 3x3 pattern which is 9 total) then with just a watch timer or a shot timer (if you have one) to get the beep sound instead of using just a mental countdown. from the low ready position shoot 1 round at 1 target. if it is inside the target circle, do it again for the next target, continue until you go through all the targets.

then paste up the holes, and this time do 2 rounds per target (not sure how lytle creek is about "rapid" firing, but speed isn't important yet so take the 1 second pause if they require it)

if at any time you land a shot outside the target circle. start over from target #1.

do this until you can get up to 5 rounds in a target in one firing string. then move it back to 35 yards and repeat.

the end goal is to be able to do that at whatever furthest range you want, free handed and in standing position and as fast as possible. the speed part may not be do-able on the public line, so you may have to practice speed at private rental ranges that burro range offers. also buying a shot timer would be helpful once you want to track your speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

Last edited by Scratch705; 02-22-2018 at 2:32 PM.. Reason: changed size of targets. might have remembered too small.
Old 02-22-2018, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

It depends on how your AR is set up too. I have one AR that is setup with a 6-20x44 scope that is heavy and accurate. I shoot it prone or on a bench for small groups. For that one, I practice trigger control, breathing, NPA, and recoil follow through. All things that need to be in place for shooting small targets.

My other AR is light, small and has a red dot only. That one I practice magazine changes, shooting with my sling, and only worry about hitting a 10" target at 100 yards. So it kind of depends on what your trying to achieve.
Old 02-22-2018, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Zero your optic at 1.7" under point of impact to cause a good 100 yard zero. Then Cycle between 25, 50 , 100. Find out that sweet spot, then speed up, see if you can keep consistency between all the different distances without having to "Think" about it too much or adjust your optic
Old 02-23-2018, 5:30 AM

I am not sure how close you are to Corona, but I recommend Raahauges. Their ranges are run with individual private bays for each person/group. They allow steel to be shot on the back bays and depending on the bay, will vary between 25-90 yards. The benefit is that you set your own cold ranges, you can draw from a holster, you can rapid fire, run around your bay and do all the drills you want. Most ranges that rent private bays (burro canyon, Angeles) will also let you do the same thing. Because it is more expensive, you don't get to go as often, but the training you can do is worth multiple trips to a public range. I live in the SGV, so heading out to BLM land isn't an option for me, if it is for you, then great!

It also might be time to start taking some classes. If you want to get to the tactical side of things, there are a shockingly plentiful amount of training companies and competent instructors in socal.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Plan? depends on your goals. if you want to just plink cans off a fence at 25 yards your plan will be different than if you want to shoot targets at 500 yards with your AR.

You get to drive your shooting however you want. that's the fun of it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Plan? depends on your goals. if you want to just plink cans off a fence at 25 yards your plan will be different than if you want to shoot targets at 500 yards with your AR.

You get to drive your shooting however you want. that's the fun of it.
^This.

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman View Post
Zeroing at 50 and 100 yards would also be good. I would also practice getting comfortable making shots out to the 300 yard target. I have some suggestions for more tactical oriented training, but it would probably require you to find a range that would be accepting to that or plan on making a trip further up the 15 freeway to high desert BLM land. At established gun ranges, you are pretty much limited to what you have been doing already, which is standing or sitting on the bench and slow firing at targets. This is great for sighting in a rifle's iron sights or optic and checking the functionality of the weapon, but not much more. Of course this is for safety reasons.

If you're looking to get into rapid fire, practicing reloading, shooting on the move, and multiple target engagement, I highly recommend BLM land up toward Barstow or beyond. You will have more options to practice these types of things with your AR, which can be a lot of fun.
Agree. I will shoot 50, then 100. Take some shots at 200. Just trying to learn the basics. Made a reservation for Appleseed Project in June. Between trying to improve at pistol shooting and having fun with a rifle, I may be biting off more than I can chew. So I am gathering information--places, organizations, teaching points, etc. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitruc View Post
I am not sure how close you are to Corona, but I recommend Raahauges. Their ranges are run with individual private bays for each person/group. They allow steel to be shot on the back bays and depending on the bay, will vary between 25-90 yards. The benefit is that you set your own cold ranges, you can draw from a holster, you can rapid fire, run around your bay and do all the drills you want. Most ranges that rent private bays (burro canyon, Angeles) will also let you do the same thing. Because it is more expensive, you don't get to go as often, but the training you can do is worth multiple trips to a public range. I live in the SGV, so heading out to BLM land isn't an option for me, if it is for you, then great!

It also might be time to start taking some classes. If you want to get to the tactical side of things, there are a shockingly plentiful amount of training companies and competent instructors in socal.
I go often to Raahauges. Also grew up in the SGV. I have some ideas about competitions, and yes tactical classes. Thanks for the input.