Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-30-2019, 3:44 AM

Default G22 9mm conversion failure to feed problem

I have a Double diamond 9mm barrel and I have failure to feed issues. I read that you have to change your 40 ejector to a 9mm ejector AND extractor, and some people saying just the ejector. So far I tried just the ejector and still having failure to feed issues. Would changing the extractor fix these issues? Besides the conversion barrel and the custom slide work I got on my slide, everything else is oem. I am using a G17 mag my brother gave me for free (from ebay) could the mag be causing the problems?

I have about less than 150 rds on this barrel, when I first used it, brass would always eject upwards but I didn't mind that, as long as it didn't jam as much. Now after firing the first shot, it jams..I clear it and jams again

Someone suggested getting lighter or stronger recoil spring but I haven't tried it yet.

I was watching mrgunsngear's youtube video Glock 40 S&W To 9mm Conversion (How To) and he changes his to a 9mm Extractor and 9mm Spring Loaded Bearing. Do the G22 and G17 have the same Extractor Depressor Plunger & Spring? Because he only changed our the Extractor and spring loaded bearing?

Keep in mind this is just a range gun, not for self defense

Old 04-30-2019, 5:54 AM

Are the G17 mags you got fairly new? Mine was doing the same and, and found the springs in the mags too strong when new. Problem would go away if I only loaded 8-9 rounds in the 10rnd mag.

Fwiw, I only used a conversion barrel and G17 mags, nothing else changed.
Old 04-30-2019, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

Im no expert but it could be the lighter slide and weak magazine spring? Cycles too fast perhaps?

Do you still have the factory slide assembly? Try it with your conversion barrel and the same magazine. Then try it with another magazine if you can.

Good luck.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 05-01-2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShooter View Post
Are the G17 mags you got fairly new? Mine was doing the same and, and found the springs in the mags too strong when new. Problem would go away if I only loaded 8-9 rounds in the 10rnd mag.

Fwiw, I only used a conversion barrel and G17 mags, nothing else changed.
I'll try that, I just bought 17 rd mags from ets that I am gonna try as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223556 View Post
Im no expert but it could be the lighter slide and weak magazine spring? Cycles too fast perhaps?

Do you still have the factory slide assembly? Try it with your conversion barrel and the same magazine. Then try it with another magazine if you can.

Good luck.
That's my factory slide. This G22 is barely used, still haven't even cleaned it since it has less than 250 rds (been busy working 48 hr weeks). I just got some ets mags
Old 05-01-2019, 5:12 PM

I also have a Double Diamond 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. One thing that I've noticed is that with .40 mags, it is pickier with regard to ammo. I reload all my ammo and noticed that if I don't crimp enough (I use Lee factory crimp die) using the .40 mags, the round sometimes fails to feed with the mouth of the brass hanging up on the rim of the barrel, like in your picture. The same round won't hang up using a glock 9mm mag. If I crimp enough, then I can get consistent feeds using either the 40 or 9mm mag.

Not sure if you're using reloads or not. But if you are using 40 mags, you may want to check your ammo. Some ammo may feed better than others.
Old 05-01-2019, 5:23 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Extractor/ejector not going to help. It is probably a feed ramp or mag issue.

What magazine brand and if it is Glock, what number is the follower?

Are you using a factory Glock recoil spring?

Old 05-01-2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Extractor/ejector not going to help. It is probably a feed ramp or mag issue.

What magazine brand and if it is Glock, what number is the follower?

Are you using a factory Glock recoil spring?
It's supposedly glock factory glock 17 mag from ebay I got for free. But I bought some ets 17 rd mags I still need to try out. I have to dig it out of boxes since I just moved

and I am using the glock 22 factory recoil spring
Old 05-01-2019, 6:45 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Ets mags are junk IMO, hopefully you got those for free too. I also see you are not using a factory slide. Tolerance stacking can become an issue, not sure why you would introduce even more non-Glock parts.
Old 05-01-2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Ets mags are junk IMO, hopefully you got those for free too. I also see you are not using a factory slide. Tolerance stacking can become an issue, not sure why you would introduce even more non-Glock parts.
I got two 17 rd mags from ETS, on that deadline when they were banning the mags again. They were the only ones willing to ship (that I found) one hour before the deadline.

Everything works fine when I use my 40 barrel
Old 05-11-2019, 9:42 AM

What follower is in the g17 mag, if it is the 2183 follower maybe your issue. The 2183 are known for feeding and extracting issues. If so change the followers to the #3 or 6 follower, it fixed my issues with my g17 and g19. Also on my g35 with 9mm conversion barrel I just used the 40 mags which are the same as the g22 and they worked well. Also from 40 to 9 you don’t have to change extractor or ejector, but from 9 to 40 I believe you have to change the ejector.