Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-12-2019, 4:25 AM

Default Winchester 67A Boy's rifle - bolt extractor/sear slot peening...?

I have a Winchester 67A I picked up in a trade about 15 years ago. For the first 5+ years or so my son and other beginning shooters cut their teeth on it before I'd trust them with a semi-auto or a larger caliber. Even though I didn't tear it down when I first bought it, it functioned flawlessly for the first 5-7 years, but then it gradually developed an issue...

When "the problem began", it started with the firing pin plunger knob not locking the firing pin back on to the sear. I would have to pull back a couple of times before it would lock back and could then be fired.

After about 6 months of the condition gradually deteriorating, it simply stopped locking back at all. So this did not present itself as a "sudden" problem / failure.

For the last 6 or 7 years or so it has sat in my safe. I did some research on breaking it down and parts availability in preparation for the worst, but only recently decided to get around to fixing it for good.

This week I tore it down and inspected everything. Nothing appeared to be amiss, except that i noticed that the extractor/sear part seemed to fit tightly in the bottom receiver slot and dragged somewhat. Pushing and pulling things around, it dawned on me that either a weak spring or tension on the extractor / sear piece by the sides of the bottom receiver slot were preventing the sear from engaging the slot in the firing pin piece and locking it back.

I noticed a very slight lip on the inside top edges of the receiver slot, as though the blued metal was being pushed up into the bolt/firing pin assembly by the movement of the extractor/sear piece. I stoned and diamond bit dremeled the raised lip of the slot as well as the slot gap sides just enough to let the extractor sear piece move easily up and down. I figured taking a little material off of the receiver vs the chromed bolt/firing pin was the way to go.

I reassembled and it works like new now. The sear / firing pin engagement locks with a clear, audible "click" now, and works just fine.

What possibly was the cause of this issue? Possibilities that occurred to me: 1) galling between the extractor/sear piece and the receiver, 2) misalignment of these parts with each other, 3) the receiver was either banged up against something with enough force to squeeze the slot tight, or the wood swelled for some reason applying compressive force to the sides of the bottom receiver slot in question.

Just inquiring for future reference in case this happens again....

I will add pics shortly. The pics are not of my rifle; included for reference only.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p08g4okejc...0JPEG.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mngwi1rpyx...0JPEG.jpg?dl=0
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
--Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899

Last edited by RCxRC; 04-12-2019 at 9:15 AM..