Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-11-2022, 2:37 PM

There is a very nice one for sale in the long guns Private party forum for $800
Old 10-11-2022, 2:38 PM

I haven't tried them all, but I have a Henry Big Boy Silver in .357 Mag./.38 Spl. that I really love. I added Skinner sights to it, and it shoots like a dream all day long. I would actually prefer a side loading gate to top off the magazine like my .30-30, but this is a great rifle nonetheless. It's a lot of fun with .357 Magnum, so if you're a reloader you can really go to town with it. With .38 Spl. it feels more like a .22, so I save all my .38 Spl. for my revolvers.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-silver/
Old 10-11-2022, 3:34 PM

Whut?
Old 10-11-2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulin818 View Post
Is this correct, the Rossi 20” stainless holds 16+1 rounds .38/357? Read it on the Turners website description for the rifle. If true...then ROSSI for the win.
No, it holds 10 .357. not sure if you could sneek 11 38 special in.
Old 10-11-2022, 5:57 PM

I can get 12 Schofield into the tube of a Rossi.
Old 10-11-2022, 6:02 PM

It also feeds 1.7 OAL cartridges.
Old 10-12-2022, 4:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspider500 View Post

Whut?
That was my thinking also. Good call Sand'..

MLC
Old 10-12-2022, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspider500 View Post

Whut?
My bad. I was thinking 38/357 No idea why
Old 10-12-2022, 5:16 AM
Veteran Member

Ohh, think we've all been there a time or two bonesurf.

MLC
Old 10-13-2022, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

As long as you use new Starline cases as opposed to odder "Balloon Head" cases you can load the .45 LC up to and beyond the .44 Magnum.

Bigger Boolits more Powder. Keith liked the .45 a lot and even designed SWC boolits for it.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 10-13-2022, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I hate be be this way, but the answer is never Rossi. Anything but.

I have that model with 16" barrel. I have been a Marlin man for 35 years, but I I also don't like to overpay.
I had a Rossi several years ago. It's compact and light, but it didn't feel right.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 12-11-2022, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I have that model with 16" barrel. I have been a Marlin man for 35 years, but I I also don't like to overpay.
I had a Rossi several years ago. It's compact and light, but it didn't feel right.
For me the rossi 92 stock is to short but the newer cbc made action is excellent.

The newest one I got was good enough to warrant upgrading to walnut stocks with longer lop. With that it's as good imo as a $1700 miroku, but it shoots 357 mag AND 38 sp equally well, and to same windage.
Old 12-11-2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
For me the rossi 92 stock is to short but the newer cbc made action is excellent.
What year or serial #s is "newer cbc" and how do I tell otherwise?
Old 12-12-2022, 5:08 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you're looking in brick-and-mortar retailers, chances are you're not going to find any Braztech guns. That run disappeared a few years ago. Of course, there's bound to be a unicorn hanging out somewheres.

The retailer can tell you if the gun is from any recent shipment... and the two blued, 16" Braztech .357 '92s I bought seven years ago were good guns. Too, their triggers were and remain amazing. I bought the second for my son after he handled and shot my .357 he liked it so much. Surprised him a month later for his 25th birthday. That was when Retting had at least five in stock!

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 12-12-2022, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

Well, it's gonna be another rainy day today, sooo, think I'll get all my lever guns out and give 'em a wipe down for the heck of it. First world problems, I know.

MLC

Last edited by pennstater; 12-13-2022 at 4:29 AM..
Old 12-12-2022, 7:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've had 2 CBC Rossi 92s and 3 Braztech guns. Plus I have a Winchester (Miroku) 92 short rifle. The machining and quality on my Rossi's isn't even close to the Winchester. I wish I could say my CBC guns were better then the Braztech guns.

I need to add some to my post. Rossi has little if no quality control, they let their customer's do that. For the most parts, the small issues like broken screws and feed issues can be fixed. The bluing on their guns is as good as any high $$ gun that I have compared them too. My last Rossi/CBC is a 20" round barrel, blued carbine with a slightly canted barrel. It had a stripped mag plug screw from the factory, but still a very good shooter. I think that was all the bad. The wood is nice for a Rossi and the bluing is second to none.

The Rossi can be a good gun. They're just some things that should be checked on them that might be difficult, pre dros. From my experience with the Braztech guns and the CBC guns, there really is no difference. The CBC guns might have a little better wood fit.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 12-14-2022 at 3:47 PM..
Old 12-12-2022, 8:28 AM

Just my experience, but I've found all the '92/'94 carbines to be short for me. Even other carbines like Ruger 10/22, Mini-14, AR's. On the 10/22 and Mini-14 I added stock extenders. Even my Rem-700 was shortish. Added a recoil pad not for recoil, but for extra LOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Old 12-12-2022, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I’ll be waiting for Ruger to announce pistol caliber offerings in lever actions. I don’t think that will be very long, and when they do, I’ll be looking to sell off all the others that aren’t either Winchester or Browning models.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:27 AM

Did I miss the very best or did no one mention it yet ? A JM stamped Marlin, 2nd best would be a Japanese made Winchester 92 and you can stop looking

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 12-13-2022, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just checked Davidson's - not a single .357 lever gun in stock.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:19 AM

I own a few Japanese Brownings (excellent), a newer Winchester made in Japan (great other than the safety), Marlins old and new. Take a look at Chiappa/Taylors. I have a pair of takedown '92s and they are on par with my Japanese built lever guns.
Old 12-18-2022, 9:49 AM

I have had for a few years, one of the New York made Marlin's in 357 Magnum. It is known to be made with lesser quality standards than current production now by Ruger. The action was always a bit balky, and I really hated loading it as the loading gate was very stiff and the inner edges of the receiver around the gate were razor sharp. I put very few rounds through it because it usually resulted in a blood sacrifice.

After reading good comments about the Ranger Point Precision lightweight loading gate, I decided that I'd give it a try. Since you have to disassemble most of the action to install the loading gate, I decided that I would clean up the action. So, with an assortment of jeweler's files and some emery cloth, I got to work. It was surprising how many parts had burrs on them. I took my time and deburred every piece that I could, cleaned and lubricated and especially reworked and rounded the inner edge of the loading gate opening so that I could run my finger across it without getting cut. Installed the lightweight loading gate, reassembled the rifle and found that my efforts resulting in a huge improvement in the action and an equally huge improvement in the loading experience.

For those of you with the sub-standard Marlin's made in New York, I highly recommend doing what I did. I think you will be very happy with the result.
Old 12-25-2022, 4:04 PM

" I would just like a fun companion rifle for range fun, and maybe camping. I dig the traditional look... "

I'd say look no further than the Rossi 92.

I have an older JM Marlin 1894C .357 that I would not trade for a Rossi (but it would cost two or three times the Rossi to replace).

I have a Rossi 92 in .45 and to be honest, the Winchester 1892 design is (IMO) the most beautiful looking and natural handling lever action ever made. Everything on the '92 simply flows well.

The bluing on the Rossi is great and the wood can be.

IF you can find a Marlin at your price, by all means jump on it. But from your original post, I think the best candidate for you is the Rossi.

Yeah, I like that pistol/rifle same caliber combo, & to be honest, If I were down to my only guns being this combination pictured (Marlin 1894C & S&W Model 19), I think I could survive the Zombie Appocolypse just fine.

On the other hand, the look and feel of the '92 will always beckon me & I don't see getting rid of this .45 combo anytime soon.

I kick myself for getting rid of this combination many years ago, of a Rossi & Ruger .44Mag combo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin Smith combo.jpg (80.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg .45LC Combo.jpg (93.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Group of Bang and Slice.jpg (94.3 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by kydave; 12-25-2022 at 5:40 PM..
Old 12-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Browning B-92. Mic drop!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 01-22-2023, 5:11 PM

Uberti if you want to pay over 1000 Rossi if you want to keep it under 600 I have both like them both
Old 01-30-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
The best? Browning B92. Better than original Winchester and current Winchester, far better than all the rest.
LOL
He asked for the best for the money, not the best at any price.

357 mag Brownings are scare, hardly ever one on GB or at a show. When they do appear in our wonderful Biden era, they bring north of 2k if in great shape. I'm speaking from experience as I've worked gunshows for a living for 20 years....I've maybe bought 3 in the past 10 years and sold the last one "NIB" for 2200.

The Brownings are well made and smooth. I've seen some that were better than others.

I'd have to say the best for the money is the Chiappa 1892 in 357. Beautifully made rifles. Only thing to watch for with these is the loading gate port is sometimes machined a little thin. The Alaskan is probably the best choice if you plan to hunt.

I also like the Uberti 1873 Carbines mentioned in the post above. In 357 they're a little heavier in the front as they're essentially a "heavy barrel" Uberti like most gunmakers (Including browning) turn the barrels to be 45 cal capable and bore rthem to be whatever they are making. a 44-40 or 44mag 1873 is much lighter than the 357. You also only really should shoot factory 357 loads in your 1873. Hot-rodding could lead to issues.

Last edited by sling works; 01-30-2023 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-30-2023, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling works View Post
LOL
He asked for the best for the money, not the best at any price.

357 mag Brownings are scare, hardly ever one on GB or at a show. When they do appear in our wonderful Biden era, they bring north of 2k if in great shape. I'm speaking from experience as I've worked gunshows for a living for 20 years....I've maybe bought 3 in the past 10 years and sold the last one "NIB" for 2200.

The Brownings are well made and smooth. I've seen some that were better than others.

I'd have to say the best for the money is the Chiappa 1892 in 357. Beautifully made rifles. Only thing to watch for with these is the loading gate port is sometimes machined a little thin. The Alaskan is probably the best choice if you plan to hunt.

I also like the Uberti 1873 Carbines mentioned in the post above. In 357 they're a little heavier in the front as they're essentially a "heavy barrel" Uberti like most gunmakers (Including browning) turn the barrels to be 45 cal capable and bore rthem to be whatever they are making. a 44-40 or 44mag 1873 is much lighter than the 357. You also only really should shoot factory 357 loads in your 1873. Hot-rodding could lead to issues.

The best means the best. Cimarron and Taylor Italian(?) 92's are in the neighborhood of 1500 retail. Maybe pick them up for a little less but for a few bucks more you get the best. Our money is getting more and more worthless every day. Take your money to the store in a bushel basket, and bring home what it buys in a coin purse.
I have fixed guns for a living for the last 20 years. The quality of the materials used in the early Miroku's is superior to anything made in Italy or South America today. The Jap engineers cut less corners from the original design. None of this is evident until you get one apart.
The best 92's ever made are the early Brownings. Next come original Winchesters that haven't been bubba'd or run ragged. Then come all the rest.
Old 01-31-2023, 4:06 AM

My 1873 Miroku short rifle with only a box of .38 specials down the tube is the best gun for your money...
Old 01-31-2023, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That Remlin 94 I bought in 2018 is the best money I spent on a .357 lever gun. I think the sale price at Turners was $689.0. I hope, but doubt we will see the new Marlins for less then 1k any time soon.

I have a Miroku Winchester model 92 short rifle in 45L that I purchased in 2019 new for $869.00 .. that was another good buy but it's hard to catch these Mirokus. You just have to watch GB for their new releases.

MLC, First 3
Old 02-06-2023, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
The best means the best.
And Rolls-Royces are the best cars ever made, too. They're The Best. Anyone who's ever ridden in one understands why. But not for the money; that title belongs to Honda and Toyota. For the money, a Lexus LS beats a Rolls any day...for the money. Likewise, in the sport GT market, the Corvette beats the Ferraris...for the money. And for most people, a Honda Accord really does the job well; they are very good automobiles. Not Rolls quality, obviously, but still very good.

Likewise with leverguns. On an absolute scale, you're probably correct, but Big Horn Armory would probably be the contender for the "best" now. Their leverguns start at $3K.

For the money, I'd still have to go with either a Henry Big Boy or Rossi 92. I've come to understand why people like the Big Boy now that I have one. You've got to be a little careful with OAL of the round, but for typically used bullet lengths, the Henry is a sweet li'l rifle.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 02-06-2023, 4:32 AM
Veteran Member

I have zero complaints about my two Henry's. .45 Colt and .357/38 spl.

MLC
Old 02-06-2023, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
My 1873 Miroku short rifle with only a box of .38 specials down the tube is the best gun for your money...
Since it's never been listed in the Marketplace for sale, how can that be?
Old 02-06-2023, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
And Rolls-Royces are the best cars ever made, too. They're The Best. Anyone who's ever ridden in one understands why. But not for the money; that title belongs to Honda and Toyota. For the money, a Lexus LS beats a Rolls any day...for the money. Likewise, in the sport GT market, the Corvette beats the Ferraris...for the money. And for most people, a Honda Accord really does the job well; they are very good automobiles. Not Rolls quality, obviously, but still very good.

Likewise with leverguns. On an absolute scale, you're probably correct, but Big Horn Armory would probably be the contender for the "best" now. Their leverguns start at $3K.

For the money, I'd still have to go with either a Henry Big Boy or Rossi 92. I've come to understand why people like the Big Boy now that I have one. You've got to be a little careful with OAL of the round, but for typically used bullet lengths, the Henry is a sweet li'l rifle.

I rode in a RR once, but it was worn out long before the year I was born!

Can you imagine a lever gun designed/made by the Brits?? The folks who brought us Lucas Electrics for our cars? Knackered before you get it out of the box...
All things considered, the best lever is the one you can hit with.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a Rossi 357 carbine inbound to play with.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1842519
I got notice today that it's shipping out tomorrow.
Time will tell if it's an ok one or a crappy one.