Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 02-16-2022, 8:46 PM

Default Begara starter rig for PRS

Is the B14 BMP a good starter gun or would it be better to just upgrade to the competition rifle they offer?

“Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”

“A republic, if you can keep it.”
Old 02-17-2022, 1:34 PM

I'm not a Begara expert by any means, but here is some good discussion on SH about it from folks who know:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...4-bmp.6997405/
Old 02-17-2022, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

i've only shot their HMR Pro and it was very nice, we all shot it up to 1000 yards, no problems with the rifle after quite a few rounds.

a friend of mine is thinking of getting the new Seekins rifle which sounds like a pretty good deal with a nice lifetime warranty

i think if i were going to get another 1000 yard rifle i'd look hard at one of the American Rifle models like the Archimedes.....once or twice a year they have some really good sales....many hundreds of dollars off. That of have Randall put something together for you. I've heard great things of the quality and execution of his work, not just on this forum but at a class i took. It would probably save you a lot of money and ensure that you get the quality barrel and trigger etc that you prefer.

right now i'm rather pleased with my Tikka M595 Master Sporter, it's not the latest and greatest but it does the job, i've never had a problem with it and i seem to do pretty well with it. The wood stock isn't made for running around and barricades etc. but for prone or bench it's really quite nice.

don't forget to factor in a scope and rings and bipod. it all adds up pretty quick.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 02-17-2022 at 4:16 PM..
Old 02-18-2022, 6:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
i've only shot their HMR Pro and it was very nice, we all shot it up to 1000 yards, no problems with the rifle after quite a few rounds.

a friend of mine is thinking of getting the new Seekins rifle which sounds like a pretty good deal with a nice lifetime warranty

i think if i were going to get another 1000 yard rifle i'd look hard at one of the American Rifle models like the Archimedes.....once or twice a year they have some really good sales....many hundreds of dollars off. That of have Randall put something together for you. I've heard great things of the quality and execution of his work, not just on this forum but at a class i took. It would probably save you a lot of money and ensure that you get the quality barrel and trigger etc that you prefer.

right now i'm rather pleased with my Tikka M595 Master Sporter, it's not the latest and greatest but it does the job, i've never had a problem with it and i seem to do pretty well with it. The wood stock isn't made for running around and barricades etc. but for prone or bench it's really quite nice.

don't forget to factor in a scope and rings and bipod. it all adds up pretty quick.
And bags, and Kestrel, and rangefinder, and tripod, and...
Old 02-18-2022, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

i was trying to be gentle (only kidding....i forgot)...you're absolutely correct

...and i also forgot that one would need a really long rifle case because all the other ones i already had were way too short with the new muzzle brake device.

...and then i needed one of those levers for the variable scope....and of course a bubble level device.....because, well everyone has one.

and all the cool kids are using ARCA rails so, well you know.

...oh and the case you just purchased will be much too heavy to schlep with all the extra stuff so you'll have to sell that case and get one with wheels. Then you putting that expensive wheeled case on the shelf in the garage because it doesn't fit in your sedan....so your back to a soft case which is much easier to handle......that's how my story went.

still, it's pretty awesome, i'm very glad i dipped my toes in that water...met a lot of really nice people here and at the club. one day i'll be back.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 02-18-2022 at 7:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2022, 4:12 PM

get a PRS "production" rifle

https://www.gaprecision.net/custom-p...rifle-ppr.html
https://badrockrifles.com/rifles/
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa...etition-rifle/
https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57555
Old 02-21-2022, 6:11 PM

That bad rock south mdt looks pretty sweet.

Old 02-21-2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwhite0311 View Post
That bad rock south mdt looks pretty sweet.
yup

it’s an MDT LSS XL chassis and a defiance barreled action
Old 02-25-2022, 10:31 AM

Default PRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwhite0311 View Post
Is the B14 BMP a good starter gun or would it be better to just upgrade to the competition rifle they offer?
My suggestion is to do a PRS match with what ever rifle you have now, if you have not done one yet. Then based on that experience you can decide if you want to just dabble to improve your shooting ability or really want to compete.

If you really want to compete then you will need a PRS specific rifle, all the gear that goes along with it and lots of ammo. If you plan to dabble, maybe hunt and or just hit the range then something like the B14 would be fine.
Old 02-25-2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWest View Post
My suggestion is to do a PRS match with what ever rifle you have now, if you have not done one yet. Then based on that experience you can decide if you want to just dabble to improve your shooting ability or really want to compete.

If you really want to compete then you will need a PRS specific rifle, all the gear that goes along with it and lots of ammo. If you plan to dabble, maybe hunt and or just hit the range then something like the B14 would be fine.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I’ve heard that nor cal precision shooters will let you rent a rig for a match. This would be ideal, as I don’t own a rifle yet.

Old 02-26-2022, 2:58 PM

If you are new to rifles, I would suggest a basic rifle class first, so that you can run the rifle safely. As well as understand the fundamentals of shooting, setting up your scope and establishing your dope and seeing impacts.

A PRS match is not the place to learn these things, you have to be able to move safely under a clock and manipulate the rifle. A class can provide a rifle and correctly teach you the fundamentals.

Now once you have the fundamentals down, then renting a rifle and doing a PRS match would be a great idea. If you have spent a lot of time with friends and family on their rifles thats fine.

The key point that I ask trying to make is being safe under dynamic conditions. If you are unable to be safe and point the muzzle at someone, you will probably be asked to unload the rifle and leave the match.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWest View Post
If you are new to rifles, I would suggest a basic rifle class first, so that you can run the rifle safely. As well as understand the fundamentals of shooting, setting up your scope and establishing your dope and seeing impacts.

A PRS match is not the place to learn these things, you have to be able to move safely under a clock and manipulate the rifle. A class can provide a rifle and correctly teach you the fundamentals.

Now once you have the fundamentals down, then renting a rifle and doing a PRS match would be a great idea. If you have spent a lot of time with friends and family on their rifles thats fine.

The key point that I ask trying to make is being safe under dynamic conditions. If you are unable to be safe and point the muzzle at someone, you will probably be asked to unload the rifle and leave the match.
My question does not lie in how a match is conducted or safe weapon manipulation. My question asks if the above mentioned rifle would be sufficient in capability for a PRS match for at least the near future.

Old 04-19-2022, 9:54 AM

To answer your original question about the Bergara B14 BMP, I would say yes. Start with that, put a muzzle brake on it, find which match-grade ammo the gun likes, shoot some matches and see if you like the matches. The gun should shoot fine. I've seen a couple at matches.

FWIW, I would recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308. Reduced recoil to better spot your impacts and make adjustments is the name of the game.

The fact of the matter is, you're going to upgrade anyway over time if you decide to dive into the deep end of this pool. Start where you are, with what you can afford. My rifle started life as a bone-stock Remington 700P, and literally the only part that remains is the receiver and the bolt. Everything else has changed - even the caliber - multiple times.