Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-12-2020, 7:29 AM

Question KSG owners, which slug do you use?

Hi there, if you own a KSG shotgun and use slug (not buckshot but slug), can you share which brand you use?

Thank you.

I'm new to KSG and want to buy slug, just wasn't sure which brand, and I'm guessing it 1 ounce slug?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Don't own a KSG but any rifled slug will suit you.

Myself I am partial to Federal but I'll shoot any of 'em if the price is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 02-12-2020, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Mine eats any rifled slug. I usually end up using Remington "sluggers" since they are cheap and go bang.
Old 02-12-2020, 2:56 PM

Federal Low Recoil slugs in the blue hulls are about the best out there for most uses.

They are accurate and not too expensive.

They are my preferred slug for Front Sight Shotgun Classes.

These blue hulls also reload better than just about any other type out there.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464919.jpg (20.3 KB, 236 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 02-13-2020, 3:12 PM
retired Goon

Aguila Mini-Slug.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-13-2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Federal Low Recoil slugs in the blue hulls are about the best out there for most uses.

They are accurate and not too expensive.

They are my preferred slug for Front Sight Shotgun Classes.

These blue hulls also reload better than just about any other type out there.

Randy
Hm, i thought www.buchananprecisionmachine.com are the best ones
BTW, why do you skip lines? Due to recoil?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
Hm, i thought www.buchananprecisionmachine.com are the best ones
BTW, why do you skip lines? Due to recoil?
Yeah, those nice Brass Non Toxic Slugs are about $5 each and designed to be shot from a rifled barrel. They are very accurate and and weigh 550 gr but only loaded to @1250 fps so the recoil is very manageable. They will still knock down just about anything inside 100 or so yards.

I just reloaded 25 of the Blue Federal hulls tonight with Lyman Pellet slugs. They are for smoothbore barrels and are Relatively Light Loads for an upcoming 3 gun shoot. I can use those in any of my Shotguns, the brass ones only go thru a rifled barrel in either a M500 or Browning A5. The A5 is more accurate.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464917.jpg (26.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100464932.jpg (30.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100464943.JPG (94.0 KB, 171 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 02-14-2020, 1:00 AM

Thank you Sir WRBuchanan, Sir Boarhuntor, Sir Quiet, Sir seal20 and Sir strakill.

I'm new to guns, so I have ALOT to learn from everyone.

Sir WRBuchanan, I have a question.
Your Federal brand Low Recoil slugs they are 1 ounce slug.
But Sir Quiet brand Aguila Mini-slug, they NOT 1 ounce slug.

So my question is are 1 ounce slug more powerful?
And do low recoil slug, does it mean it less powerful than the just say standard recoil ones?

Sorry I'm new to this.
Old 02-14-2020, 2:06 AM

I used to own a KSG so I’ll elaborate on my experience.

While the KSG is super accurate with slugs, I think the best use of this shotgun is in the home. That being said, I would find any slug that is 1200 FPS or LESS. The KSG really doesn’t have any way of taming recoil, so shooting it can get uncomfortable after some time. I’m home defense, unless you live in a mansion, your typical distances are going to be under 3-5 yards anyhow. In this instance, the Aquila shells with the KSG is perfect for this role. The Aguila mini shells are low recoiling and bump your capacity up to 25rds (factory plastic follower).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2020, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I shoot slugs and homemade, Rem 870 w/scope. Smooth bore 20" with the choke hacked off with a "hack" saw. If you make loads of washers and screws, you don't need choke. Cut Slugs fly better out of a shorter barrel. My take.

BTW: I have this little "tactical pillow" that I put under my shirt to save my shoulder; bang - ouch.
Old 02-14-2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg00 View Post
Thank you Sir WRBuchanan, Sir Boarhuntor, Sir Quiet, Sir seal20 and Sir strakill.

I'm new to guns, so I have ALOT to learn from everyone.

Sir WRBuchanan, I have a question.
Your Federal brand Low Recoil slugs they are 1 ounce slug.
But Sir Quiet brand Aguila Mini-slug, they NOT 1 ounce slug.

So my question is are 1 ounce slug more powerful?
And do low recoil slug, does it mean it less powerful than the just say standard recoil ones?

Sorry I'm new to this.
Thanks you for Knighting us!!!!!

Yes the Federal Low Recoil Slugs are 1 ounce however they are only loaded to around 1250-1300 fps. Full Power Slugs are 1 oz also but loaded to 1600+ fps and they will hurt you! They are designed for hunting, but there is very little in N/A that could live thru a Low Recoil Slug. You are launching a 1 oz projectile that is essentially .73 caliber. Nothing lives thru a slug!

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-14-2020 at 4:10 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, those nice Brass Non Toxic Slugs are about $5 each a
Common, what is $5 for a KSG owner, first, they reach if they can afford such a useless toy and second, an average KSG owner sells the "LNIB with less than a box thru the pipe", so not a biggy from this point of view as well considering how much they loose on the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
I used to own a KSG so Ill elaborate on my experience......the best use of this shotgun is in the home....
Great that you experience it often, please elaborate more on your last couple of encounters. Did it go through the body of the intruder? does it go through the walls? What happened to the bystanders? Neighbors? How many were they? was it DRT or you had to finish them? If yes, how did you do it, head or body shots? Please share the details.
Thanks a lot

Or maybe by "the best use of this shotgun is in the home" you meant kept in the safe? This one more like it LOL....
Old 02-14-2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks you for Knighting us!!!!!

Yes the Federal Low Recoil Slugs are 1 ounce however they are only loaded to around 1250-1300 fps. Full Power Slugs are 1 oz also but loaded to 1600+ fps and they will hurt you! They are designed for hunting, but there is very little in N/A that could live thru a Low Recoil Slug. You are launching a 1 oz projectile that is essentially .73 caliber. Nothing lives thru a slug!

Randy
Thank you Sir. Randy.

May I ask, the full power slug that you mentioned above, it is legal in California? I guess since it use for hunting, you do need a hunting license to purchase those slug right?
And are the KSG compatible with those full slug?

Thank you Sir so much for your help.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
I used to own a KSG so I’ll elaborate on my experience.

While the KSG is super accurate with slugs, I think the best use of this shotgun is in the home. That being said, I would find any slug that is 1200 FPS or LESS. The KSG really doesn’t have any way of taming recoil, so shooting it can get uncomfortable after some time. I’m home defense, unless you live in a mansion, your typical distances are going to be under 3-5 yards anyhow. In this instance, the Aquila shells with the KSG is perfect for this role. The Aguila mini shells are low recoiling and bump your capacity up to 25rds (factory plastic follower).

Hope this helps.

Aguila Mini-Slug = 7/8oz @ 1300 FPS

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-14-2020 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-15-2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you Sir. Randy.

May I ask, the full power slug that you mentioned above, it is legal in California? I guess since it use for hunting, you do need a hunting license to purchase those slug right?
And are the KSG compatible with those full slug?

Thank you Sir so much for your help.
The full power slugs are made by everyone who loads slugs. (Federal Winchester Remington etc. Anything in the 1600+ fps range would be considered Full Power, but they are not legal for Hunting use in CA as they are lead slugs and not Non Toxic. The KSG is not a light recoiling gun to shoot. With Full Power Slugs it would be Down Right Brutal.

Unfortunately nobody who makes loaded non toxic Slugs(Brenneke, Barnes, others) have gone to the trouble of registering their products in CA. It was pretty easy I just sent them (Fish and Wildlife) a pic of the slug and a metallurgical break down of the Brass I used and 2 weeks later I got the cert and notification that I was now on the "List."

Randy

Old 02-15-2020, 3:19 PM

If you want to greatly increase the capacity you may want to look @ the aguila mini slugs. I believe it increases total capacity to close to 25 rounds. As long as they cycle reliably, that's a ****load of firepower
Old 02-15-2020, 4:26 PM

If the full powerful slug not legal for hunting, can you just purchase it and keep it for like home defense or shooting at ranges? Well, in Cali, I don't think there many ranges that allow you go shot slugs.

Anyhoo my point is it is legal to purchase those full power slug in California?

I know the law now say buy ammo you have to do it face to face, so if it legal, gun store should have it for sale right?

Thank you Sir.
Old 02-15-2020, 6:52 PM

These slugs are approved by our overlords.

Have a few boxes, recoil isn't bad.
https://www.ddupleks-usa.com/steelhead-monolit-28
Old 02-16-2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
If the full powerful slug not legal for hunting, can you just purchase it and keep it for like home defense or shooting at ranges? Well, in Cali, I don't think there many ranges that allow you go shot slugs.

I know the law now say buy ammo you have to do it face to face, so if it legal, gun store should have it for sale right?

Thank you Sir.
I don't have a KSG. But I've never been told I can't shoot slugs when I've taken them to any of the various ranges I've visited.
Old 02-16-2020, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
I don't have a KSG. But I've never been told I can't shoot slugs when I've taken them to any of the various ranges I've visited.
He may be talking about indoor ranges. I have ran into a few indoor ranges that don't allow slugs out of shotguns.

Outdoor ranges I have not heard of that rule. It would be interesting to listen to that reasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 02-16-2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:

Thank you Sir.
Walmart has them, so does everyone else. Nothing Illegal about them, you just can't hunt game animals with them.

As far as using them for HD it is kind of pointless as at HD distances (2-35 yards) nothing is going to know the difference between what hit them.

Here's what you need to know about Slugs.

Nothing lives thru a slug !

A Low Recoil Slug has a TKO slightly below a .458 Win Mag. A Full Power Slug is well above a .458 Win Mag.

People don't usually take as much to knock down as an Elephant.

Also there are Full Power Slugs and there are Brenneke Slugs, some of which are Real Serious. Brenneke has a couple of slugs, the Black Magic which is a 1 3/8 oz slug at 1500 fps and the Magnum Crush which is a 1.5 oz slug at 1600 fps ! That is over 1.5 times the power of a "Full Power Slug" as loaded by the Big Mfgs.

These are suitable for anything on earth and probably many other planets as well.

Where all of this comes together is when you start hand loading your own 12 ga shells. I have slugs that I cast at home that weigh up to 650 gr which is 1.5oz. These are full bore slugs meaning they are designed to be shot from either a Rifled Barrel or a Cylinder Bore Barrel. I can load them as mild or as wild as I want, however there is little to be gained by pushing these slugs much over 1200 fps, simply because the recoil goes up dramatically with the speed. 95% of what I load are below that as there is no reason to shoot steel targets or other targets with anything more powerful.

If you can't take the recoil, you won't shoot very well and in order for any boolit to do its job, it first must hit the target.

Point of all of this is,,, just stick with the Low Recoil Slugs. You really don't need anything above them, because,,,

Nothing lives thru a slug!

Randy

Old 02-17-2020, 7:18 AM

Thank you Sir. WRBuchanan for answer my questions. Thank you for enlighten me with your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
May I ask, are you from Northern or Southern Cali? I'm in Southern. And the outdoor ranges here that shoot clays, do not allow slugs. They said slugs go too far. Perhaps it a small outdoor range then.
The ones you talking about that allow slugs, I'm guessing Lyttle Creek, since Lyttle Creek is in the middle of no where. I heard you can't even get a phone signal there.

May I ask, which outdoor range you went to that allow slugs for shotgun?
Old 02-17-2020, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Another one in for the mini shells!
Old 02-17-2020, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Remember D. B.
Old 02-17-2020, 8:08 PM

Aguila mini.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you Sir. WRBuchanan for answer my questions. Thank you for enlighten me with your knowledge.

May I ask, are you from Northern or Southern Cali? I'm in Southern. And the outdoor ranges here that shoot clays, do not allow slugs. They said slugs go too far. Perhaps it a small outdoor range then.
The ones you talking about that allow slugs, I'm guessing Lyttle Creek, since Lyttle Creek is in the middle of no where. I heard you can't even get a phone signal there.

May I ask, which outdoor range you went to that allow slugs for shotgun?
KSG: you would shoot slugs at a Rifle Range as a slug makes a shotgun into a .73 Caliber Rifle.

No one will let you onto a skeet or trap range with slugs and probably not with a KSG either.
It is not an appropriate gun for shooting clay targets. It is a tactical weapon meant for shooting people and/or steel targets.

Randy

Old 02-18-2020, 5:46 PM

Any low velocity slug should do but slugs are better 4 longer range. So, I use slugs in my 870 and 00 in my KSG.