Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitlow View Post
Hah...Nice!!

Antifa talked about using small, home made drones and outfitting with explosives and BB / shrapnel.
A lot of videos in Ukraine war show the civilian drones are used to either record the enemy's positions and even carry small bombs.
Old 05-07-2022, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Something like a scoped .308 rifle.
That would be my choice.
Old 05-10-2022, 6:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Depending on teh terrain and the physical location a long range rifle may be completely worthless. Unless you live in a elevated position. Its not gonna do any good. last place i lived a long range rifle woudl be worthless as your visibility and ability to identify targets was limited to maybe 20-100 yards. other than that you saw houses or roof tops. There arent any Texas towers to go shoot down from.

While a scoped precision sniper rifle is a great idea a good functioning reliable semi auto would be better form anything that would be seen in urban fighting.
For the most part in urban fighting get buildings will provide a obstacle to your long range capabilities. Unless you are just gonna shoot anything that moves within your line of sight……

A lot of times a scoped rifle isnt as good as a basic red dot or iron sights. And remember the bad guys can and will shoot back
Old 05-11-2022, 6:07 AM

Default Welll……

You have to think about so many things. Age, weight of the gun, how accessible is/will ammo be, how agile can you be with it which means you should practice hiking with it, can you reload the ammo, etc. in theory having one specialty heavy round for big predators/game is a good idea BUT you have to make sure it works and makes sense for you. I have a friend who prefers to carry a cross bow because he’s way lighter and faster on his feet.
Old 05-16-2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitlow View Post
Hah...Nice!!

Antifa talked about using small, home made drones and outfitting with explosives and BB / shrapnel.
At 2:22, this Ukrainian soldier uses a scoped rifle to shoot down Russian drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jGtv6hFOg
Old 05-17-2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolocalypso View Post
You have to think about so many things. Age, weight of the gun, how accessible is/will ammo be, how agile can you be with it which means you should practice hiking with it, can you reload the ammo, etc. in theory having one specialty heavy round for big predators/game is a good idea BUT you have to make sure it works and makes sense for you. I have a friend who prefers to carry a cross bow because he’s way lighter and faster on his feet.
Interesting threads. I do have a fairly high powered crossbow with a good scope on it.
Old 05-17-2022, 7:00 PM

I think for almost all situations an AR-15 is plenty. Having the ability to shoot out to 300 yards is more than enough and most cases. In a SHTF situation I don’t want to be shooting people from a long range bringing attention to myself or family. If they are that far away they most likely not a threat. My 6.5 Grendel 18” upper though has ability to 800 yards if needed.
Old 05-17-2022, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

i don't know what we will be up against...
but if possible and within reason, i want a longer effective range for my platform than the enemy has for his.
assuming most of the enemy will carry ar-15s or ak-47s, i'd rather have .308.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:27 AM

Lots of good advise here. Lots of thought. We live in the southern end of Orange County, ca, if a disaster occurs of any kind the roads will impassable and the have nots will be looking to the haves for anything they can get.

We moved to a more remote tract of 200 homes and are in the middle of the homes 20 years ago.

Reinforced the structure to help in quakes. Especially the garage area. Some prepper stuff.

Within walking distance is our dedicated rv storage where we keep a large fully stocked coach with a fairly large solar setup.

I have been working on our projectile equipment since 1990.

Down to bow and crossbow. Small medium large calibers. Multiple interchangeable sights for everything. Red dot to holo to various scopes all QD. All interchangeable. Reloading equipment. Reloading supplies. Fairly good stock of ammo.

Power supplies. Water stuff. Pumps. Hoses. Multiple solar setups.

On and on.

Be a terrible day if this stuff was really needed.

Most of my stocking is for earthquake prep. For sure. Not if but when as we are overdue in our area for a large quake.

No water or food into so cal for at least 2 weeks. 30 days more likely

Need more practice as posted. And conditioning. Do
Old 06-22-2022, 10:15 PM

All those war-torn areas end up with "Technicals" where they mount heavy weapons in the back of a Toyota pickup. Must be something to that approach.
Old 06-25-2022, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
All those war-torn areas end up with "Technicals" where they mount heavy weapons in the back of a Toyota pickup. Must be something to that approach.
Yeah, because walking and carrying a gun sucks.
Old 06-25-2022, 8:02 AM

Tagged. Skynet