Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-26-2018, 7:26 PM

Its 4" x 2.5". Folding it in half makes it fit in a cc slot.
Old 09-26-2018, 9:15 PM

AT DGM, no timed fire, no draw, no timed reloads, just reload at your own pace between stages. The course of fire was very low key. Mine was one on one, probably because I brought 3 guns. Others were taken two at a time.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:02 PM

I used John Groff for my Training. It ended up being one on one so it went pretty quick. I'd go to him again when I have to requal.
Old 09-27-2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
AT DGM, no timed fire, no draw, no timed reloads, just reload at your own pace between stages. The course of fire was very low key. Mine was one on one, probably because I brought 3 guns. Others were taken two at a time.
Great stuff...thanks.
Old 09-27-2018, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Happily I can also report an approval letter received @ 85 days since the 2nd interview. It was effort and time so one feels happy achieving the goal, but also odd to feel happy about needing a CCW because of criminals. But that's reality.

I also want to remind anyone new to this that my first interview I got discouraging words from the clerk, this was with a good cause I was helped with by experts. I reassessed my good cause with same experts, stressed one aspect more than others and dropped the general self defense aspects, and pressed on and was far better received. So don't panic if the first interview is not all sunshine. Work the process! Having a "denial" on your "record" because your good cause was rejected in San Diego is nothing to be concerned about. Press on!

My advice to anyone is get the appointment now. The wait is so long.
You have a ton of time to take a seminar and research your good cause and
run it past experts.

My personal executive summary is to have a good cause that can provide them with good documentation, which I believe is so they can provide proof they did vet someone has elevated risk over the general public if audited.

I would strongly advise to not talk yourself out of what might be considered elevated risk. Research successful good causes, go to seminars and talk to the experts. I think many would be surprised that there is good
cause for them if they do their homework.
I did not donate to Gore, my good cause was not work related, nor because I had any reported threats against me.
Yes it should be like AZ but this is about how to walk the path we have now and continue to work towards general self defense as good cause.
Congrats to all who've gotten their SDSO CCWs in the last two pages of posts.

I shamelessly copied and posted several of your posts over at the tail end of http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1400940 to BURY the naysayers who kept pushing the idea that Gore hadn't really changed his restrictive policy, or that after winning re-election, he went back to being restrictive. While I can understand their paranoia, I'm glad (and assume even they're glad too) to be proven wrong.
Old 10-19-2018, 1:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Moving back to SD county next month.
Called for an appointment today, earliest available is May...
Old 10-19-2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
I called in May of this year, couldn't take the first date so took one 2 weeks later mid July, got my ccw last week. Total of 5 months. I thought that was too long. Seems to be getting worse. Yikes! And more ccw permits means eventually more appointments for renewals, hence bogging the process down more in the future. They need a more robust system and more resources or it will only get worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 1:07 PM

I'll be doing my CCW course at DGM this sunday, anyone else on here going to be there?
Old 10-23-2018, 5:52 PM

So I did my 2nd interview about 1.5 months ago and came home today to a sheriffs office card stuck in my door. Going to give it a call in the morning, but had anybody heard of the sheriffs office doing home visits?
Old 10-23-2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico3 View Post
So I did my 2nd interview about 1.5 months ago and came home today to a sheriffs office card stuck in my door. Going to give it a call in the morning, but had anybody heard of the sheriffs office doing home visits?
They do that as a way to confirm your address.
Old 10-23-2018, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayej View Post
They do that as a way to confirm your address.
I'd consider it a good sign.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-23-2018, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post

Wow, do you have a Riverside CCW? That may help speed things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeffles View Post
I called in May of this year, couldn't take the first date so took one 2 weeks later mid July, got my ccw last week. Total of 5 months. I thought that was too long. Seems to be getting worse. Yikes! And more ccw permits means eventually more appointments for renewals, hence bogging the process down more in the future. They need a more robust system and more resources or it will only get worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The renewals go very fast, in fact they take walk-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
I'll be doing my CCW course at DGM this sunday, anyone else on here going to be there?

Congrats Nachoman!
Old 10-23-2018, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Wow, do you have a Riverside CCW? That may help speed things up
I do. They take that into consideration?
Old 10-24-2018, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Current number of 2-year CCWs: 1858 -- 100 increase in the past month, a 50% increase in the past year.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22260181
Old 10-30-2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
DGM course was pretty good, I'd recommend it to anyone who needs to take the class. It's kind of a mixed course, so there will be guys getting their guard cards in it too. Most of it was CCW folks though. You'll see a wide range of guns there too, one guy brought a huge HK Mark 23 to put on his CCW permit.

Course of fire is:
- 7yrds - 5 rnds regular two handed
- 6yrds - 5 rnds weak hand dominant two handed
- 5yrds - 5 rnds strong side one handed
- 4yrds - 5 rnds weak side one handed
- 3yrds - 5 rnds hip shooting

They don't really grade your shooting, but ideally want everything in the 8 ring. Most folks don't practice hip shooting, so we got a lot of fliers when we did that.

Also, if folks have a Glock, they'll have you try a couple contact shots with your thumb over the back of the slide. Hurts a little bit, but good to know you can do it.
Old 10-30-2018, 3:22 PM

Interesting, Nachoman. I was there a few months ago, and mine was slightly different. We started at like 50 ft, and I think the point was not for the shooter to prove to the instructor he could be accurate at that distance, but for the instructor to prove to the shooter that he couldn't.

I don't understand the bit about thumb over the slide. Which thumb, placed where? For what purpose?

Congrats on your permit! The more of us that are out there carrying responsibly, the better it is for all of us.

Old 10-30-2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Interesting, Nachoman. I was there a few months ago, and mine was slightly different. We started at like 50 ft, and I think the point was not for the shooter to prove to the instructor he could be accurate at that distance, but for the instructor to prove to the shooter that he couldn't.

I don't understand the bit about thumb over the slide. Which thumb, placed where? For what purpose?

Congrats on your permit! The more of us that are out there carrying responsibly, the better it is for all of us.
Thanks!

Yeah, at the beginning of class Kyle mentioned starting the shooting qual from afar since it forces proper concentration on the front sight. But when it came time to do it, we did what I mentioned above.

The contact shooting drill was to simulate pushing the slide back into battery so that it'll fire, if you were pressing the gun against someone else (which might cause it to come out of battery and not fire). You fire, the slide doesn't cycle due to your thumb, then re-rack and fire again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC8T0gQu8kU
Old 11-02-2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
A contact shot is if your gun is pushed up against someone (like if they were physically on top of you.)

If someone is on you like that, their body can push the slide out of battery, and your gun won't fire. So you put your thumb at the back of the slide and hold it forward, allowing the gun to fire, but preventing the slide from extracting and loading new round. Then you clear the jam as fast as you can and shoot a second round.
Old 11-02-2018, 6:14 PM

I was aware of the out of battery problem, but I was not aware of the idea of practicing with your thumb over the rear of the slide. I guess I would have assumed that the slide would come back with enough force to break or at least dislocate your thumb. Worth it in a life or death situation but not a skill one would practice. Thanks for the education guys. Why were only the Glock owners asked to try this, what about a 1911 .45 +p? Is that too dangerous to practice?

Old 11-02-2018, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a shield, which would have the same issue, and they did not ask for me to do that.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I was aware of the out of battery problem, but I was not aware of the idea of practicing with your thumb over the rear of the slide. I guess I would have assumed that the slide would come back with enough force to break or at least dislocate your thumb. Worth it in a life or death situation but not a skill one would practice. Thanks for the education guys. Why were only the Glock owners asked to try this, what about a 1911 .45 +p? Is that too dangerous to practice?
They only tried this with certain striker fired guns like Glocks and did mention firearms with a hammer were no-goes. It was presented more like a "hey, did you know you could run your gun like this" than a universal training thing. I personally think they like to add these wrinkles to change things up for themselves and make it more of a training course environment, even though the amount of range time is very limited.
Old 11-03-2018, 9:25 PM

It has to be striker fired, but not only for glocks.

Bizarrely, I barely felt anything when I did it with my glock 17. (Not that I'm tough, or something, I think it has to do with holding it so tight it cant move at all. If it moves at all, you'll feel it more, methinks.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM

If you've taken a CCW course in another state, will you have to do it again in CA?
Old 11-08-2018, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody sunday View Post
If you've taken a CCW course in another state, will you have to do it again in CA?
Yes, it's even more specific than that. You must take the class from somebody on the SDSO approved instructor list on their website, so even a class taken for another county won't work unless by chance they are also on the SDSO list.

Old 11-10-2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's even more specific than that. You must take the class from somebody on the SDSO approved instructor list on their website, so even a class taken for another county won't work unless by chance they are also on the SDSO list.
thanks for the info!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygazer View Post
... We'll see what happens... perhaps I'll find out before Christmas.
56 days... just got approval letter via email.
Life is good!

Now to schedule my mandatory training.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Life is good!

Now to schedule my mandatory training.

Congrats!

That’s a lot quicker now with 56 days. Mine took almost 90 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 3:17 PM

Got my approval letter 49 days after my second interview. Seems like they are speeding things up after everything has been submitted, albeit the backed up schedule to get an initial interview still makes this a pretty lengthy process overall. The whole experience, although requiring a lot of work on my end with producing supporting documents and writing a good cause, was pretty painless overall.

I did receive a visit at my home to verify my residency. I wasn't there at the time and a call to verify I found their business card in my door was enough to satisfy them, no follow up visit happened. They did also contact my employer, mostly to verify my job title and if I was with good standing within the company, as part of my good cause was directly work related.

I have already completed my course at DGM and found it to be a pleasant experience and would recommend it. As others have noted it will be a mixed group of CCW renewals, bodyguard renewals, and bodyguard initial applicants. I was the only new CCW applicant on the day of my course, but the instructor Kyle echoed they have been seeing more new approvals now than they have in years.

The course of fire:

- 7yrds - 5 rnds regular two handed
- 6yrds - 5 rnds weak hand dominant two handed
- 5yrds - 5 rnds strong side one handed
- 4yrds - 5 rnds weak side one handed
- 3yrds - 5 rnds hip shooting

Was still accurate for anyone who wanted to practice before going in. Each gun you want on your CCW permit must be qualified with.

I have my appointment set for next Tuesday to pick up my license, and will hopefully be qualifying a 3rd gun to put on my permit at DGM on Monday that I am picking up from "jail" in Orange County this weekend. It's been a busy month!
Old 11-27-2018, 2:26 PM

Default Picked up LTC today...

Quote:
Life is good!
Took training on Sunday @DGW. Kyle & Logan were great... got a discount coupon for ACLND membership (Kyle knows Marty Hayes). No problems on the qualifying shoot.

Picked up my LTC today. Bernardo was my clerk... friendly guy, knows his stuff. He said that CCW first interviews are currently being scheduled in July 2019! Wow! Bill Gore should hire more staff to meet the demand.

Now, should I fold this laminated piece of paper so it fits behind my driver's license?
Old 11-27-2018, 4:44 PM

I trimmed my plastic as much as possible without causing the lamination to fail and found a bi-fold wallet with a very slightly larger compartment that would just barely hold it.

Congrats on joining our ranks

Old 11-27-2018, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now, should I fold this laminated piece of paper so it fits behind my driver's license?
A buddy of mine shrunk his to 85% and made a very nice copy and laminated that. He said the clerk said it was OK.

Not saying to do it, just reporting in.
Old 12-01-2018, 6:15 AM

Got my CCW about two weeks ago in SD (I live in North County - Vista) - process was straightforward/ Apply, submit background, pay fees, approval, test and issuance. Bernardo was the clerk - good dude and knows his stuff and I have been carrying everywhere that I can. Strange feeling to know that you may be the only armed person at that location.
Old 12-01-2018, 8:14 AM

Just set my 1st appointment today it’s not until 7/17/19. Figured Id join in.
Old 12-11-2018, 8:32 AM

Buddy just got his in SD. Said process was easy. Just did my first Renew in riverside county, super easy there too.
Old 01-08-2019, 3:48 PM

Well crap.

My first appt was Jan 4. I had a work emergency and had to go on a biz trip so I missed the appt.

I called to reschedule the next day. First availability is September 17. Nine friggin month wait.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Isn't there a lawsuit out there about process wait times? They aren't allowed to have an unlimited wait time for an appointment right?

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 01-18-2019, 1:18 PM

That sucks. In Orange County we choose our appointment date. You can literally have your appointment the following business day after you submit your application.
Old 01-21-2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Isn't there a lawsuit out there about process wait times? They aren't allowed to have an unlimited wait time for an appointment right?
Based on what SDCGO posts about how they approached this process, I think they've formed a good working relationship with Sheriff Gore's office so I'm not a sure a lawsuit is the best way to enact change in this area. SDCGO has mentioned that reducing the wait time and making it more efficient on the Sheriff's side is their next goal. And when i went in for my final appointment, Bernardo from the Sheriff's department had mentioned that they were trying to make their process more streamlined. Obviously their process is still geared towards the previously really low number of applicants, given it's a government org changing a process usually takes a long time.
Old 01-22-2019, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Based on what SDCGO posts about how they approached this process, I think they've formed a good working relationship with Sheriff Gore's office so I'm not a sure a lawsuit is the best way to enact change in this area. SDCGO has mentioned that reducing the wait time and making it more efficient on the Sheriff's side is their next goal. And when i went in for my final appointment, Bernardo from the Sheriff's department had mentioned that they were trying to make their process more streamlined. Obviously their process is still geared towards the previously really low number of applicants, given it's a government org changing a process usually takes a long time.
Right, I guess if the Sheriff is not ACTIVELY trying to keep people from getting permits, then we can cool down and give the benefit of the doubt. However if a year down the line the wait times becomes 1.5 years or 2 years to get an appointment?

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 01-29-2019, 1:53 PM

It's been a while since anybody posted on this aspect. Are we seeing any denials for good cause?