Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-28-2021, 7:22 PM

Default Mosin Nagant Questions

Looking to buy a Mosin Nagant, number match 1891/59 Tula from 1940. The rifle looks to be unissued what is a fair price? Looks good to me but I’m not too familiar with Mosins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wilsonm; 12-28-2021 at 7:29 PM..
Old 12-28-2021, 7:50 PM

How does the Bore look? Sewer pipe or string clear rifling?
Old 12-28-2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanch03 View Post
How does the Bore look? Sewer pipe or string clear rifling?

Bore looks nice and clear

Old 12-29-2021, 4:46 PM

91/59s are actually a bit rare as they were official conversions of 91/30s into carbines made after the war. They would select better examples of 91/30s with which to do this, so they tend to be good guns.

These are commonly known as "KGB Mosins" but that's a bit of a misnomer. It's possible somebody associated with the KGB at some point touched one but most would have been utilized for tasks such as border patrol and the forestry service.
Old 12-29-2021, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I agree that the 91/59 is a less common and more desirable rifle for collectors - I can't say I'm current on C&R prices, but I believe regular 91/30's are often going for $300-$350 nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 12-29-2021, 7:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

According to the variation chart on 762x54r.net http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm this rifle rates a 5 on scale of 1-10 in rarity. I think it's even rarer to find Mosins in general in unissued condition other than a few like Polish M44s, where unissued is the rule. When I was deep into collecting Mosins, 91/59s are fairly uncommon but I don't think this rifle would bring the kind of money that a pristine Remington or Westinghouse M91 would.

It's a cool variant, interesting rifle but I think in today's market where easy availability of cheap spam can ammo has evaporated, you have to ask what it would be worth to a collector, not someone who might want to shoot it. Like everything else, depends on if you can find the right buyer, but if I was still collecting, I would pay around the $500 area for it? Maybe a $150-$200 premium over a run of the mill 91/30? But I wasn't a hardcore collector, more a casual collector who shoots all of my rifles so I wouldn't have bought it. I almost bought a mint unissued Remington M91 at a show for $1,200 in 2014. That rifle, I never would have shot, it was super cool because it was an American Mosin, something that most casual C&R people didn't even know existed. This 91/59 is cool but it's not that cool ;-) But to the right collector who has been looking for this particular rifle, could be worth a lot more. It's that old saying about collecting, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Last edited by Capybara; 12-29-2021 at 7:21 PM..
Old 12-29-2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
According to the variation chart on 762x54r.net http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm this rifle rates a 5 on scale of 1-10 in rarity. I think it's even rarer to find Mosins in general in unissued condition other than a few like Polish M44s, where unissued is the rule. When I was deep into collecting Mosins, 91/59s are fairly uncommon but I don't think this rifle would bring the kind of money that a pristine Remington or Westinghouse M91 would.

It's a cool variant, interesting rifle but I think in today's market where easy availability of cheap spam can ammo has evaporated, you have to ask what it would be worth to a collector, not someone who might want to shoot it. Like everything else, depends on if you can find the right buyer, but if I was still collecting, I would pay around the $500 area for it? Maybe a $150-$200 premium over a run of the mill 91/30? But I wasn't a hardcore collector, more a casual collector who shoots all of my rifles so I wouldn't have bought it. I almost bought a mint unissued Remington M91 at a show for $1,200 in 2014. That rifle, I never would have shot, it was super cool because it was an American Mosin, something that most casual C&R people didn't even know existed. This 91/59 is cool but it's not that cool ;-) But to the right collector who has been looking for this particular rifle, could be worth a lot more. It's that old saying about collecting, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Thank you for all the info. This would be my first Mosin purchase, I offered $500 but may go up a little more. I should hear back soon. Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2021, 8:12 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonm View Post
Thank you for all the info. This would be my first Mosin purchase, I offered $500 but may go up a little more. I should hear back soon. Thanks again!

Let us know if you score it, seems like a really nice find. If you get it, will you shoot it?

Old 12-30-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_S View Post
91/59s are actually a bit rare as they were official conversions of 91/30s into carbines made after the war. They would select better examples of 91/30s with which to do this, so they tend to be good guns.

These are commonly known as "KGB Mosins" but that's a bit of a misnomer. It's possible somebody associated with the KGB at some point touched one but most would have been utilized for tasks such as border patrol and the forestry service.
I have never heard of a "KGB Mosin" and have never heard anyone refer to them as such, except here for the first time. These conversions have nothing to do with the KGB or Russia, they were not converted by or used in the USSR at any point.

They were not selected from "better examples", they were simply Dragoon M91's and 91/30's that were cut down, had their sights milled and stocks refinished post war by (almost for sure based on the markings) Bulgaria, from where they were imported into the US

imo $500 is high retail, here are two that recently sold on gunbroker

Last month for $285
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916815757

Last month for $415
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913849347
Old 12-30-2021, 7:31 PM

I heard the ‘kgb’ talk on an iv8888 YouTube video so that’s where it must be being regurgitated from. Just because one guy says something doesn’t make it true.
Old 12-31-2021, 8:32 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedratchet View Post
I heard the ‘kgb’ talk on an iv8888 YouTube video so that’s where it must be being regurgitated from. Just because one guy says something doesn’t make it true.
Definitely a lot of "folklore" about Mosins. Lots of people collect them because they used to be cheap and they are interesting rifles with a rich and varied ComBloc history. But like all C&R guns, a lot of BS out there that came from who knows where over the past 50+ years. The things I've heard and been told at collector shows. As the saying goes, without verified provenance, "Buy the gun, not the story." This hold true for all C&Rs. Authentic bring back papers, or verified provenance by a certified expert, or letters from manufacturers are all reasons to pay more for something. For everything else, caveat emptor.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
I have never heard of a "KGB Mosin" and have never heard anyone refer to them as such, except here for the first time. These conversions have nothing to do with the KGB or Russia, they were not converted by or used in the USSR at any point.

They were not selected from "better examples", they were simply Dragoon M91's and 91/30's that were cut down, had their sights milled and stocks refinished post war by (almost for sure based on the markings) Bulgaria, from where they were imported into the US

imo $500 is high retail, here are two that recently sold on gunbroker

Last month for $285
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916815757

Last month for $415
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913849347

Thank you for all the info, very helpful! I don’t believe in all the KGB talk either. Haha

Old 12-31-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Definitely a lot of "folklore" about Mosins. Lots of people collect them because they used to be cheap and they are interesting rifles with a rich and varied ComBloc history. But like all C&R guns, a lot of BS out there that came from who knows where over the past 50+ years. The things I've heard and been told at collector shows. As the saying goes, without verified provenance, "Buy the gun, not the story." This hold true for all C&Rs. Authentic bring back papers, or verified provenance by a certified expert, or letters from manufacturers are all reasons to pay more for something. For everything else, caveat emptor.

I don’t pay to much attention to the stories, I do like the history and built quality of these older rifles. Thank you for all the info!!

Old 01-02-2022, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

If it has the red cyanide lettering..definitely KGB!

: )

Crazy $500!

As far as ammo goes...there has to be millions of rounds in spam cans all throughout this country in garages. I have a small share, enough that I most likely cant shoot it all in my life time. I know I'm not alone, espwhen just a scant 8years ago it was pennies per round. Circle 10!!

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 01-02-2022, 7:17 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

$500 is about right for a 91/59 in good condition. It is a neat variant and they tend to be in excellent condition, similar to post war M44’s which often look unissued. I was able to find one for about $400 a couple years ago and have held on to it.

Old 01-03-2022, 6:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

91/59 is a nice rifle.