Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-19-2022, 6:29 PM

@commieforniaresident - RE: Miller V. Bonta

2022-7-11: Opposition to Motion to Lift Stay and Motion to Vacate and Remand for Further Proceedings

2022-7-12: Parties’ Joint Status Report

2022-7-18: Plaintiffs-Appellees’ Reply to Defendants-Appellants’ Opposition to Lift Stay

Last edited by meanrock; 07-19-2022 at 6:32 PM..
Old 07-19-2022, 9:38 PM

A very nice, well supported argument. Appellees should prevail and the stay lifted, and the 9th should address the case on its merits without remand, as the relevant history was adduced in the trial court the first time around. Unless this is a conservative panel (which actually does happen) it will be interesting to see how the panel will try to wiggle out of this one--and if it can't, how the en banc panel will justify a ban.

Sorry, after Young, I can't help but be cynical. Just as the State is revolting against Bruen by enacting even more outrageous and unconstitutional restrictions, it is hard for me to believe that a liberal 9th will not follow suit.
Old 07-19-2022, 9:48 PM

A very nice, well supported argument. Appellees should prevail and the stay lifted, and the 9th should address the case on its merits without remand, as the relevant history was adduced in the trial court the first time around. Unless this is a conservative panel (which actually does happen) it will be interesting to see how the panel will try to wiggle out of this one--and if it can't, how the en banc panel will justify a ban.

Sorry, after Young, I can't help but be cynical. Just as the State is revolting against Bruen by enacting even more outrageous and unconstitutional restrictions, it is hard for me to believe that a liberal 9th will not follow suit.
Old 07-23-2022, 2:28 PM

Updated, thanks. I'm pretty busy currently so I would appreciate if others could make these kinds of updates for me to put in--it's a lot of cases to cover.
Old 08-02-2022, 8:10 AM

Miller v. Bonta

2022-8-1: Appellants’ motion to vacate the judgment challenged in this appeal and to remand for further proceedings is granted
Old 08-02-2022, 8:20 AM

Good news! I wonder if Benitez has already been working on his redraft? I'm sure this didn't come as a surprise.

As much as I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, watching this play out in slow motion must be exquisitely painful for the baddies....

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 08-02-2022, 8:34 AM

Not great news as the 9th granted the State's motion to kick it back to district instead of granting any of the motions requested by Miller.

Not bad news (except it delays things further), but not great news.
Old 08-03-2022, 7:18 AM

Benitez rewrites it, no stays please, let freedom reign until court answers, I want freedom more than a week, a year would be better,even 6 months. No stays this time, let the state suffer.
Old 08-03-2022, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcag69 View Post
Benitez rewrites it, no stays please, let freedom reign until court answers, I want freedom more than a week, a year would be better,even 6 months. No stays this time, let the state suffer.
Benitez should order that within 30 days the State submit any new evidence that it claims establishes that the AW ban is constitutional under NYSPRA v Bruen along with a brief supporting the State's claim. Miller has 30 days to respond with oral argument 10 days thereafter unless the court extends the time for oral argument.
Old 08-10-2022, 1:05 PM

Duncan v. Bonta: @ Ninth Circuit

Aug 2, 2022: Order Requesting Supplemental Briefing regarding Bruen

This is due in 21 days

Miller v. Bonta: @ District Court: Southern District of California (Judge Benitez)

Aug 8, 2022: Judge Benitez orders briefs addressing NYSRPA v. Bruen

This is due in 20 days
Old 08-10-2022, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcag69 View Post
I’m not sure it matters. I believe even if he doesn’t stay, Bonta can file an emergency petition with the 9th for an immediate stay and they would likely grant it.
Old 08-10-2022, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanejsl View Post
Bonta can file an emergency petition with the 9th for an immediate stay and they would likely grant it.
Bonta could request an emergency ham sandwich and the 9th would grant it.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 08-19-2022, 9:11 AM

Young v. Hawaii

Aug 19, 2022: 9th Vacates and remands back to district court
Old 08-19-2022, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Give the bleeding case back to O'Scannlain and Callahan, they'll fix it in 30 minutes! Ten years!!!? WTF? Oh, while we're cleaning house, Sidney Thomas should be put in a reeducation/humiliation chamber for the good of the citizens served by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Last edited by marcusrn; 08-19-2022 at 4:04 PM..
Old 08-19-2022, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Give the bleeding case back to O'Scannlain and Callahan, they'll fix it in 30 minutes! Ten years!!!? WTF? Oh, while we're cleaning house, Sidney Thomas should be put in a reeducation/humiliation chamber for the good of the citizens served by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
It won't go to O'Scannlain and Callahan they were appellant , it goes to the district judge. I don't recall who that was for this case, someone back in Hawaii.
Old 08-21-2022, 9:12 PM

That's a good dissent though. Now I understand why nothing happened for a while.

BTW, Caetano went back to the trial court also, and they fixed it in alignment with the Supreme Court ruling, even though Alito's concurrence technically didn't have a majority.

If the District Court is smart, they'll follow O'Scannlain's guidance and just direct Hawaii to give him a permit. Maybe like Benitez they'll request supplementary briefings.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:44 AM

Jones v. Becerra

9/7/2022: 9th Remands Back to District Courts for further proceedings in light of NYSRPA v. Bruen
Old 09-09-2022, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Courts are dragging their feet. This is intentional in order to keep unconstitutional laws in effect for as long as possible.

If overturned, a spate of new laws will clog the courts for years to come.

That is by design. After all, this is California, the one party state. It's Cuba with newer cars
Old 09-09-2022, 8:35 AM

I agree that all these are rights denied and cases further delayed due to remands to lower courts, which is certainly to CA DOJ's benefit. And it is irritating.

But the other positive/optimistic side of this is that it allows all these cases to be fully litigated 100% under the text/history/tradition (THT) standard and will hopefully put nails in the coffins of a number of these 2A-infringing laws. And any new laws CA pukes out will have to face this new THT case history that is currently being built and therefore preliminary injuctions are much more likely. At least in theory.
Old 09-13-2022, 6:39 PM

Any updates to Duncan? Briefs were due 21 days from 2-Aug. I don’t see them posted anywhere.
Old 09-13-2022, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander View Post
Any updates to Duncan? Briefs were due 21 days from 2-Aug. I don’t see them posted anywhere.
https://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/

I think we're waiting for them to decide what to do, but we already know they will send it back to Benitez.
Old 09-15-2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
https://michellawyers.com/duncan-v-becerra/

I think we're waiting for them to decide what to do, but we already know they will send it back to Benitez.
I’ve been tracking there and looking at Court listened to. I just kind of geek out when the briefs show up. I’m still hopeful we have a shot now with the 9th. Even Obama and Biden appointed judges have been having a hard time ruling against the 2A post Bruen.
Old 09-21-2022, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Yakutake v Hawaii

NYSRPA v Bruen mentioned in supplemental brief
https://bearingarms.com/john-petroli...ng-suit-n62497

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=26875498

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-22-2022, 11:29 PM

Fantastic idea and execution. Thanks OP. "Post Bruen" is the most exciting time for Pro 2A issues here in CA in a very long time (ever?).
Old 09-23-2022, 8:52 AM

Duncan v. Bonta
Sep 23, 2022 9th Circuit Remands Back to District Court under Judge Benitez