Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-26-2022, 7:14 PM

Default Browning 1911 A1 22lr Compact Version

Just want know what you all think of this firearm? Also how is it compared to the Walter P22? Is it better? more reliable? What’s about the Browning Buckmark?
Old 12-26-2022, 7:29 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

At the finish line, Our first place finisher, best for longer range accuracy, long term durability and feed reliability: Buckmark (add a red dot sight and never look back).

Our 2nd place finisher, breathing down the Buckmark's neck except for the small iron sights and no way to mount a red dot is the Browning 1911A1 Full size, with the Compact getting the overall "Trail / Hiking Gun" win for a lightweight, smaller but still shootable gun.

Quite a ways back, still working its way around the final turn is the Walther P22.
Lots of fun accessories and a compact size but the feed reliability is spotty and the slide is zinc so it can wear out fast or break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 12-26-2022, 8:35 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Do your absolute best to get your hands on one first.

It turns out my meathooks are too big to even fire the little Browning.

Doh!
Old 12-26-2022, 8:46 PM

I have a Browning 1911 22lr. Bought the compact version as it is similar to the SA EMP 3" 9mm in size and function.

Have said before on this forum that when you pull the trigger, you expect a flame to light a cigarette will burst out of the barrel. It's very light, does not feel substantial in your hand. More like a pellet pistol.

But it eats any and all ammo I've fed it. Always a decent FPS velocity, have not shot subsonic 22lr. No jams, no problems.

More accurate than I but it is just a plinker. Sights suck, add a dot of paint.

Good way for a rookie to learn the ropes. Or an experienced shooter to cheaply pull the trigger.

Better than a Walther, not as accurate as a Buckmark or Ruger. BTW magazine prices vary wildly. Definitely shop around.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up.
Old 12-27-2022, 7:59 AM

If your choice is the P22 or the Browning..Get the Browning..But there are much better options to them both..
Old 12-27-2022, 8:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My shooting buddy has one and I really like it. If I want to hit the target I'll use my Buckmark.

MLC, First 3
Old 12-27-2022, 8:30 AM

When it comes to .22 pistols, it’s really a matter of preference and what you’re looking to do with it.
Accuracy w/o weight considerations.
Plinker for the range….plinker for the desert/mountain outings.
Lightweight to wear while camping or fishing where accuracy isn’t much of an issue etc, etc.
The little Browning 1911-22 is great for a lightweight “just to carry” pistol…not very accurate. I’ve never owned a Buckmark so cannot comment on it.
From what I understand Ruger still makes a good .22 pistol that is somewhat light and accurate. The last one I bought was a MKII Government, heavy and accurate.

Edit
Almost forgot, I have a couple P22’s. Lightweight little plinkers but not real accurate. About the same accuracy wise of the 1911-22.
The little Browning is way better looking, which is something.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by 44fred; 01-13-2023 at 5:04 AM..
Old 12-27-2022, 8:37 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

I had one, sold it years ago. IMHO it’s a novelty, good trainer for new shooters, or collectible for 1911 aficionados. Definitely preferable over the “finicky” P22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 12-27-2022, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the government sized one, fantastic .22 Well made, very reliable, and some of the finest .22lr magazines I have ever seen designed. A fantastic plinker.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:55 PM

I bought the Govt model, 80% scale in all respects. Absolutely reliable, fun shooter. Miserable sights, but surprisingly accurate. I bought it so the grandkids could shoot a 1911 platform "like grandpa's".
For those with full-sized hands, the full-sized guns are more comfortable to shoot. The P22 has a poor reputation locally - one of the shops had several in stock and still steered me away from them. The Buckmarks are excellent, as are the Rugers. I also have 22lr conversions for two Glocks (Advantage Arms), CZ 75 (CZ), and 1911 (Kimber).
Old 01-03-2023, 4:52 PM

Bought one 2 months ago (Browning 1911-22) if you shoot mini-mags it has a tiny bit of recoil!! CCI STD is recoil-less!!
It is NOT as accurate as either my MkIII or Buckmark URX but so much more fun. I is more accurate than any of my conversions.
I can see sticking the cute lil bugger into a pocket while in the desert...

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. - James Madison
Old 01-03-2023, 8:37 PM

Had one, sold it for more than I paid for it so that’s a win.

It’s really really tiny. Like toss it in a coat pocket tiny. Neither good nor bad, but was smaller than I expected.

It’s really light. Too light for me, but good for someone who wants something that weighs basically nothing.

It wasn’t particularly picky about ammo, at least my copy. That’s definitely a plus.

The sights might as well not exist. Out of the box worst sights on a gun I’ve ever owned. I painted the front sight gold which helped a tiny bit, but still just awful. Everything else I could have lived with, this I could not.
Old 01-12-2023, 9:23 PM

Accuracy is meh, sights are rough, only had a few hiccups with about 200 rounds through it now. I think standard velocity might help with accuracy, gotta see how they cycle. Its a cool little pistol though, my boys love it.

My Ruger MKII & MKIII's are nicer and more accurate though.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

You're definitely not comparing apples to apples. First and foremost get the Walther P22 out of your vocabulary. While I had one and loved the ergonomics, it's the biggest piece of crap jam-o-matic gun ever made. No it was not just mine, go do your research and you'll find out that it's a horrendous problem for nearly every Walter P22 owner.

If you're looking for a 1911 clone, I would recommend the GSG 1911-22. Probably pick one up for $300 and they're very fun and reliable. If you don't mind spending a little bit more, I think the best route is a Ruger Mark one, Mark 2, Mark 3, or Mark 4 depending on your budget and availability. Another fantastic option is the Browning buckmark which is made in several different models for the California market. Both the Ruger and the buckmark are extremely reliable and extremely accurate. Being that the rugers are all off roster, you're going to pay a massive premium. Dollar for dollar The buckmark will keep up with the Ruger Mark series any day of the week and I personally think it's a far better value at roughly $500. That statement is coming from a person who is an absolute whore for any Ruger firearm

If you happen to be a CZ 75 owner, an option that you should highly consider is getting the kadet 2 conversion kit. It's absolutely amazing and you will love shooting your CZ with 22 lr. Ultra reliable, ultra accurate, but expect to pay roughly $500 for the conversion kit ss they're not widely available. If you do consider it go on to GunBroker

Last edited by kingransom; 01-12-2023 at 10:26 PM..
Old 01-16-2023, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

I have the Browning (my wifes), shoot great, very accurate, terrible sights. My wife and daughter both love it because it is small and light. I don't have big hands, and it is to small for me.
Old 01-17-2023, 7:31 AM

Shoot a GSG 1911-22 before you buy.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 01-17-2023, 4:40 PM

I picked up a used ria full size with advantage arms conversion kit for less than I sold the browning for. Am very happy with that combo actually for a budget 1911 style 22.