Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Three Amigos: Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, Mossberg 590A1

I finally got an Enhanced Beretta 1301 Tactical to go with my Benelli M4 and Mossberg 590A1 SPX. I tried to set up the Beretta 1301 and Benelli M4 as similarly as possible. Although I am not new to Beretta 1301, owning it allows me to do more experiments. Here are my findings. Please take them with a grain of salt, since I am sure that I am biased.

(1) Beretta 1301 is lighter. However, with 7+1 rounds in the tube, flashlight and even the side saddle, the weight difference between Beretta 1301 and Benelli M4 doesn't matter much to me.

(2) It's easier to load Beretta 1301 for sure. I never had thumb bites with Benelli M4 as some people said. But, I got a few thumb bites while loading Beretta 1301. I am used to push hard while loading Benelli M4. I pushed too hard while loading Beretta 1301. My thumb got into the mag tube too deeply. It caused the thumb bites when I pulled out my thumb. So, this is my fault, not Beretta's. Why does Benelli make it so hard to load? Well, if you drop the shotgun from 5 feet above, no shell would come out of the mag tube and cause malfunction. It might be ok with Beretta 1301. But, I am not sure about Mossberg 590A1, which is way too easy to load. But, 590A1 is a pump shotgun. If a shell accidently comes out of the mag tube, you just lose a round and wouldn't have a big problem.

(3) Benelli M4 loading port is longer than Beretta 1301 Tactical loading port. It's more like Beretta 1301 Comp Pro. That's why I didn't end up buying Beretta 1301 Comp Pro for its longer receiver.

(4) The build quality of Benelli M4 is better than Beretta 1301, if not way better. Benelli M4 also uses a simpler "short-stroke" gas piston, compared to Beretta's complicated "long-stroke" gas piston. The general rule in Physics says that, the simpler and lighter the moving parts are, the more stable and reliable the system is. I will take both shotguns apart and post some photos later for you to compare.

Don't get me wrong. I still like my Beretta 1301 a lot. It'd probably be my first choice for home defense. If I go to a real combat like John Wick, I will take Benelli M4. For the end of the world, well, Mossberg M590A1 is more appropriate, since you have to use whatever shells you can find and you don't want to fire rapidly to waste ammo. Besides, even if you break a part or two, Mossberg 5901A1 might still work!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by CAUS; 11-28-2021 at 5:11 PM..
Old 11-23-2021, 1:27 PM

How many rounds have you fired thru these guns?

How many Tactical Shotgun Classes have you gone to?

Just curious as you have about $4K tied up in guns, thought that you should know how to use them?

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 11-23-2021, 2:16 PM

Question for you all. I have M1 and new Super Nova. M1 kicks like a mother****er but Super Nova is smoth. I shoot 100 rounds of slugs ans 100 round of buckshot thrue super nova and not a mark on my shoulder.
Do I need a new m4? Is m4 that much smoother compare to M1. Money is no issues. I just dont want anothert punishing shootgun!
Old 11-23-2021, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Welcome Caus……

I had an M4 several years ago and it was sturdy, reliable and kind of heavy. Sold it.
I bought a Beretta 1301 last month and WOW. It’s lightweight, it feeds everything unlike the M4 that was picky with ammo.

The 1301 is utterly reliable and as you know it’s now number one in 3 gun, gun games, zombie cleaning, range fun and home defense.

Mine was $1446 out-the-door. Benelli’s are $2200. Beretta owns Benelli and that US government contract they got to make the M4 made the shotgun more expensive for all of us.

Too me it’s Beretta 1301.

Here’s two a friend here built up……

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 11-23-2021, 2:25 PM

I thought this thread was about that Jessica Hook video

Old 11-23-2021, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62user View Post
Question for you all. I have M1 and new Super Nova. M1 kicks like a mother****er but Super Nova is smoth. I shoot 100 rounds of slugs ans 100 round of buckshot thrue super nova and not a mark on my shoulder.
Do I need a new m4? Is m4 that much smoother compare to M1. Money is no issues. I just dont want anothert punishing shootgun!
Seriously the 1301 can be shot one handed. This little girl handles it.

https://youtu.be/WLamqpsgpWI

Plenty of videos on the 1301….here’s one I enjoyed…
Why the 1301 is the best shotgun for the money
https://youtu.be/RI9wCsFKW9E

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Last edited by Oceanbob; 11-23-2021 at 4:28 PM.. Reason: Best for the money
Old 11-23-2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
How many rounds have you fired thru these guns?

How many Tactical Shotgun Classes have you gone to?

Just curious as you have about $4K tied up in guns, thought that you should know how to use them?

Randy
I shot MANY rounds through M4 and 590A1. Not so many for 1301 yet. Courses, yes. Real combat, no. So, I am just a serious amateur.

Last edited by CAUS; 11-23-2021 at 3:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-23-2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Seriously the 1301 can be shot one handed. This little girl handles it.

https://youtu.be/WLamqpsgpWI

Plenty of videos on the 1301….here’s one I enjoyed…
Why the 1301 is the best shotgun in the world…
https://youtu.be/RI9wCsFKW9E

For hot shells, Benelli M4 has softer recoil than Beretta 1301. The little girl shot 1301 with a metal stick against the stock! Not on her shoulder.

The title of the second video is "This is the Best Shotgun for the Money". You missed the part "for the Money".
Old 11-23-2021, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAUS View Post
For hot shells, Benelli M4 has softer recoil than Beretta 1301. The little girl shot 1301 with a metal stick against the stock! Not on her shoulder.

The title of the second video is "This is the Best Shotgun for the Money". You missed the part "for the Money".

The little girl was to demonstrate to 7.62user that the 1301 doesn’t bash your shoulder like a MoFo,

Edited for the money. Yes the 1301 is the best for the money. Being an old fart with arthritis I appreciate the almost 2 pounds lighter weight and the ability to run low power low brass garbage perfectly. Jim Reeves ran an 1100 round course and not a problem. Others who shoot much more that I do report not a single malfunction.
For me, I won’t be installing a light or pasting 2 seven round shotgun cards on the side of the receiver. I like that I can enjoy the 1301 for its handling and ability to shoulder and shoot 6 rounds in a bit over a second. Just a fun time for me. I am even hesitant to change the ghost ring sights to a Holosun 507C-green (for my astigmatism) I am just not that fast anymore.
I did buy ANOTHER 1301 (7+1 from the factory) last Saturday and get it the 30th…..I already bought the Aridus Industies forward grip and magpul rear stock both in FDE and have a CROM with 507 for it but I might wait a bit to install it.
Pimping these shotguns out cost $$$$. I never spent this much on my Barbie Dolls. 😎

Old 11-23-2021, 5:08 PM

I have a 1301 and 590A1 SPX.

the 590A1 SPX is a boat anchor in comparison with a much longer LOP.

Old 11-23-2021, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Boat Anchor…..lol…hahahaha.

I actually told my wife I wanted the Marine 1301 for our boat.
(This is our boat)
She believed me….‼️…
We have a couple real anchors.

Old 11-23-2021, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
M1 is inertia driven, and yeah, kicks pretty good with heavy loads. Haven't shot an M4 but it's supposed to be comparable with a Remington 1100, which I used to own. My 1100 didn't even have a recoil pad, just a plastic butt plate, and it shot pretty soft.
Old 11-23-2021, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Welcome Caus……

I had an M4 several years ago and it was sturdy, reliable and kind of heavy. Sold it.
I bought a Beretta 1301 last month and WOW. It’s lightweight, it feeds everything unlike the M4 that was picky with ammo.

The 1301 is utterly reliable and as you know it’s now number one in 3 gun, gun games, zombie cleaning, range fun and home defense.

Mine was $1446 out-the-door. Benelli’s are $2200. Beretta owns Benelli and that US government contract they got to make the M4 made the shotgun more expensive for all of us.

Too me it’s Beretta 1301.

Here’s two a friend here built up……

This pretty much reflects my own experiences with the M4 and the 1301.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-23-2021, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
To fix the M1 you need to to modify it to fit you like the Nova. Turned my M2 from a kicking mule to comfortable. I shoot 1 1/4oz loads going 1700fps through it 95% of the time and shoot lots of them in one morning
Old 11-23-2021, 11:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Had a Benelli M4. Spent all sorts of money pimping it out...scalarworks flush mount for RMR, surefire railed foreend, scout light, carrier comp tube, urbino stock, etc etc. Sold it and bought a 1301. Only mod is an extended tube. Live and learn.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:45 PM

If anyone wants a 3” pro lifter for their 1301 I got an extra.
Having it load with the gate up is a definite improvement ��

Old 11-24-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I shot MANY rounds through M4 and 590A1. Not so many for 1301 yet. Courses, yes. Real combat, no. So, I am just a serious amateur.
Right now everyone is an Amateur.(No Wars going on) The serious ones go to classes at least once or twice a year... Shooting in 3 gun comps also serves as good practice.

Running a Shotgun is something that goes away fast if you don't practice frequently. Get a Dry Practice Manual from Front Sight and use it to do your dry practice.

https://www.frontsight.com/gun-training-manuals.asp

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRifleManXx View Post
That’s a great price Sir…!
Beretta has been out of them and I had to order mine from ENGLAND…
Lucky I didn’t pay the conversion fees because of my Barclaycard.
76 pounds.

Old 11-24-2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
That’s a great price Sir…!
Beretta has been out of them and I had to order mine from ENGLAND…
Lucky I didn’t pay the conversion fees because of my Barclaycard.
76 pounds.
It’s what I paid that’s why I didn’t put it on eBay. Figured I’d pass it one to one of the guys or get another 1301 at some point.

Old 11-24-2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Could you share your list of classes/instructors, and which you thought were the best?
Don't fall for this OP, you'd be getting setup.
Old 11-24-2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
If I go to a real combat like John Wick, I will take Benelli M4. For the end of the world, well, Mossberg M590A1 is more appropriate, since you have to use whatever shells you can find and you don't want to fire rapidly to waste ammo. Besides, even if you break a part or two, Mossberg 5901A1 might still work!

Happy Thanksgiving!
I think you meant you'd grab the rifle.
Old 11-24-2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Running a Shotgun is something that goes away fast if you don't practice frequently. Get a Dry Practice Manual from Front Sight and use it to do your dry practice.
Yup, I am a "Guardian Lifetime Member" (one level above Diamond membership) of Front Sight .... although I think Front Sight's marketing strategy and memberships are quite fishy and might come close to accounting frauds.

Last edited by CAUS; 11-24-2021 at 4:29 PM..
Old 11-24-2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Could you share your list of classes/instructors, and which you thought were the best?
Ironically, I learned the most from Magpul Training DVD series, more than in-person courses. I could pause, try out all different malfunctions, do experiments, compare conflicting tactics in the ranges, etc. For me, the in-person courses were more for "control under adrenaline rush". They were good. But, knowledge-wise, Magpul DVD series were quite good. I got all of them for pistol, shotgun, rifle, and long distance.
Old 11-24-2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
I think you meant you'd grab the rifle.
Ha ha, right. I will use Benelli M4 before I have a chance to change my rifles back to normal mag release.
Old 11-24-2021, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The little girl was to demonstrate to 7.62user that the 1301 doesn’t bash your shoulder like a MoFo,

Edited for the money. Yes the 1301 is the best for the money. Being an old fart with arthritis I appreciate the almost 2 pounds lighter weight and the ability to run low power low brass garbage perfectly. Jim Reeves ran an 1100 round course and not a problem. Others who shoot much more that I do report not a single malfunction.
For me, I won’t be installing a light or pasting 2 seven round shotgun cards on the side of the receiver. I like that I can enjoy the 1301 for its handling and ability to shoulder and shoot 6 rounds in a bit over a second. Just a fun time for me. I am even hesitant to change the ghost ring sights to a Holosun 507C-green (for my astigmatism) I am just not that fast anymore.
I did buy ANOTHER 1301 (7+1 from the factory) last Saturday and get it the 30th…..I already bought the Aridus Industies forward grip and magpul rear stock both in FDE and have a CROM with 507 for it but I might wait a bit to install it.
Pimping these shotguns out cost $$$$. I never spent this much on my Barbie Dolls. 😎

What is the real advantage of the Aridus Industries forward grip? I am interested in the 1301, and if I go that route, I'll probably go with the Magpul buttstock, but am skeptical of spending $190 on the Aridus Industries forward grip.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 11-24-2021, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
What is the real advantage of the Aridus Industries forward grip? I am interested in the 1301, and if I go that route, I'll probably go with the Magpul buttstock, but am skeptical of spending $190 on the Aridus Industries forward grip.
The Aridus forward grip (really a Magpul Zhukov handguard) gives you a few more optional positions for mounting accessories over the OEM handguards. If that's not a necessity for you no sense in paying for it.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-24-2021, 7:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I have a 1301 and 590A1 SPX.
That's why I always loved my old 500 standard stock 20" 8-shot. Fairly light.

I drank that 1301 Koolaid though and it tastes great like Frosted Flakes, dammit.

Just have to decide if I want another standard stock or another pistol grip...

Leaning towards the gen3 they have now in a pistol grip... do not have to add anything to it AFAIK. I will just run it stock.
Old 11-24-2021, 7:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with the standard 1301 forward handguard at all.
The Aridus (Magpul Zhukov) has room for M lock accessories and because
Langdon made it famous with his modifications on the 1301. Yeah $190
isn’t going to happen because Aridus is so small and demand is so large they can’t keep anything in stock. People wait 6 months and if you get an email in stock notification you’d better get on it. I bought one at an elevated price from a nice Calgunner and I’am happy with it. I am still on the notify list (lol) .

I agree with you about the Magpul SGA stock because it’s so darn comfortable and lowers the length of pull as well. Most also add a 870 insert and that allows a Limbsaver pad which really saves your shoulder. So you’ll need the Magpul stock, the insert, the limbsaver, the cheek riser kit $15 and most importantly the Aridus Stock adapter to mate the 1301 receiver to the Magpul SGA stock. It’s $84 from Aridus and even if you’re thinking about it, get on the email waiting list “now”. I got one at the normal price but if you look at EBAY they are listed for $300…so you can always sell it. lol. If you buy the 5 round 1301 then you want the Nordic 2 round extension. That’s about it. If you get serious I have some sources to share with you. Just PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
The Aridus forward grip (really a Magpul Zhukov handguard) gives you a few more optional positions for mounting accessories over the OEM handguards. If that's not a necessity for you no sense in paying for it.
Bingo….Mute is correct..^^^^

Be well…Bob

Old 11-24-2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRifleManXx View Post
+1 to this. I installed a pro lifter (Beretta part) and it's a big difference with loading.
Old 11-24-2021, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
That's why I always loved my old 500 standard stock 20" 8-shot. Fairly light.

I drank that 1301 Koolaid though and it tastes great like Frosted Flakes, dammit.

Just have to decide if I want another standard stock or another pistol grip...

Leaning towards the gen3 they have now in a pistol grip... do not have to add anything to it AFAIK. I will just run it stock.
Good man..!
You have it in jail or you got it already..?
The advantage of Gen 3 (not officially Gen 3 from Beretta) is that magazine tube holds 7 rounds standard.
The end looks like the Nordic extension but it’s just a Long Nut with threads
Uptop.
The tube is full length. Beretta must be doing these mods I’m the USA because the limit is 5 rounds for importing “sporting long guns “ now.

Be well
Bob

Old 11-24-2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I know I'm in the minority, but I'll say the handguard isn't worth it. I've been able to mount a light jsut fine on a piece of pic rail up on the barrel clamp. Dare I say, most people buy the Aridus/Magpul Zhukov handguard simply because it looks cool. I'd rather spend the money on the pro lifter (was $65 and another $30 to have the darn thing shipped from overseas) than $190+ for a handguard and adapter that makes the gun heavier and really doesn't offer me any advantage.
Old 11-24-2021, 7:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
+1 to this. I installed a pro lifter (Beretta part) and it's a big difference with loading.
Vinnie…mine is still somewhere between England and here..hahaha.
I was wondering if you can still Ghost Load the 1301 with that pro lifter?

Be well
Bob

Old 11-24-2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Vinnie…mine is still somewhere between England and here..hahaha.
I was wondering if you can still Ghost Load the 1301 with that pro lifter?

Be well
Bob
I haven't tried. I was able to ghost load with the stock lifter. I can't see why you couldn't. You can drop the lifter easily. I'll have to break out the dummy rounds and mess around with it. Just installed the CROM w/ the Rob Haught Mod and Holosun red dot this afternoon.
Old 11-24-2021, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I haven't tried. I was able to ghost load with the stock lifter. I can't see why you couldn't. You can drop the lifter easily. I'll have to break out the dummy rounds and mess around with it. Just installed the CROM w/ the Rob Haught Mod and Holosun red dot this afternoon.
Ok. Thanks. Yeah I got my CROM and green dot 507 sitting here. I’ll probably put it on the number 2 Beretta when I pick it up at Sportmans Warehouse on the 30th. Not sure. I couldn’t get the Rob Haught Mod one but no worries.
Be well
Bob

Old 11-25-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Yup, I am a "Guardian Lifetime Member" (one level above Diamond membership) of Front Sight .... although I think Front Sight's marketing strategy and memberships are quite fishy and might come close to accounting frauds.
???

Who cares about how he raises money ? As long as the place exists we can go there whenever we want and take as many courses as we want. I have been to 30 courses since 2006 so I've gotten my monies worth 10 times over already.

All those courses would have cost me at least $50K from Gunsite

I'm a Guardian as well, and wearing my hat gets me more respect on the line because the instructors figure you have been there several/many times and know how the place works.

Randy

Old 11-25-2021, 7:40 AM

Quote:
I thought this thread was about that Jessica Hook video

I think I’m in love.
Old 11-25-2021, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble servant View Post
I think I’m in love.
Yes, those are nice shotguns.
Old 11-25-2021, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble servant View Post
I think I’m in love.

Yeah. I appreciate a girl that’s good looking and can kick my a-ss

Old 11-25-2021, 8:00 AM

I have an fnh slp 18”. I haven’t had any issues with it yet but I’ve heard of people having problems with them.

Fnh now offers a medium buffer and although it’s been I while since I looked for one when I did they they were nowhere to be found.

How does the slp stack up vs the 1301?

Has the 1301 been out long enough to expose any problems with them?

I love using a semi but don’t trust it enough to use it for hd so I keep a pump ready.

The 1301 looks pretty nice.
Old 11-25-2021, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, those are nice shotguns.
Shotgun? What shotgun?