Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-16-2021, 9:27 PM

Default Attn Talented Gunsmiths!! Mag lock system for Kriss Vector Pistol?? $$$

Hey fellow gunners, hope everyone is doing well and get to spend some time with your families this upcoming Thanksgiving.
I have one last hiccup that I've been having trouble getting over to make my Kriss Vector pistol completely compliant, and its the mag lock system..

Now Maglatch produced and brought one of their own mag locks to market for the vector but I don't think they plan on bringing it back again, which sucks because having something temporary and removable would be most ideal. I'm not looking for someone to simply lock my magazine in place, but I'd be willing to pay someone to come up with a temporary solution to make it compliant.

Maybe theres a way you can see how the Maglatch lock for Kriss Vector worked and reverse engineer it, but I'm all out of ideas and it's been quite frustrating. Thanks everyone!!

Vern

Last edited by Verndogg; 11-22-2021 at 2:03 PM..
Old 11-17-2021, 10:12 PM

Iím in the same boat. Iíve been on the Maglatch waiting list for months and would be extremely interested in a solution.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyd0nut View Post
Iím in the same boat. Iíve been on the Maglatch waiting list for months and would be extremely interested in a solution.
It's been so frustrating, but i won't lie its nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation.. I've emailed them a few times about different things, and they just ignore me when I ask about the Vector Maglatch so I have a feeling they may not come back in stock.. but fingers crossed! We'll have to keep each other posted with updates!
Old 11-21-2021, 10:44 AM

Bump!
Old 11-21-2021, 5:10 PM

Would a 1-round sled work? Used a 3D printer to make a 1-round sled for a 9MM AR pistol that could not be removed from the bottom. Left all hardware in place, and if you go to a free state, just need to open the action, remove the sled, and you have a functioning gun.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

There are many of us here who have become creative due to mostly our own needs.
You need help with a item but I have no idea of what you are trying to resolve.
There are a number of ways to pin a mag latch.

Some images of the mag latch removed and a view of that area once removed.

I am assuming the brand you want allowed magazine removal once it was opened up? Or how does the brand of compliant device work.

A image of the compliant device next to the standard release also would be beneficial.
Old 11-22-2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post
You need help with a item but I have no idea of what you are trying to resolve.
There are a number of ways to pin a mag latch.

Some images of the mag latch removed and a view of that area once removed.
The brand of the magazine lock is called Maglatch. It is not simply a lock pinned in place, which i mentioned is not what I'm looking for.

I have no idea how it worked for the Kriss Vector, I never got my hands on one or I wouldn't be in this predicament. But based on Maglatch's AR design, I assume their mechanism keeps the magazine locked permanently until the receiver is opened and the shim is removed.

Thanks all for your insight
Old 11-22-2021, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by target_shot View Post
Would a 1-round sled work? Used a 3D printer to make a 1-round sled for a 9MM AR pistol that could not be removed from the bottom. Left all hardware in place, and if you go to a free state, just need to open the action, remove the sled, and you have a functioning gun.
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately i'm not nearly familiar enough with the mechanism or my Kriss Vector for that matter to understand but if it temporarily locks a glock mag in place then it might work for me, although an AR platform I assume is going to be significantly different from how the Vector's mag release would work
Old 11-22-2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndogg View Post
Hey fellow gunners, hope everyone is doing well and get to spend some time with your families this upcoming Thanksgiving.
I have one last hiccup that I've been having trouble getting over to make my Kriss Vector pistol completely compliant, and its the mag lock system..

Now Maglatch produced and brought one of their own mag locks to market for the vector but I don't think they plan on bringing it back again, which sucks because having something temporary and removable would be most ideal. I'm not looking for someone to simply lock my magazine in place, but I'd be willing to pay someone to come up with a temporary solution to make it compliant.

Maybe theres a way you can see how the Maglatch lock for Kriss Vector worked and reverse engineer it, but I'm all out of ideas and it's been quite frustrating. Thanks everyone!!

Vern
Quote:
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately i'm not nearly familiar enough with the mechanism or my Kriss Vector for that matter to understand but if it temporarily locks a glock mag in place then it might work for me
You use of the term "temporary" is concerning, because to be compliant, it needs to be "permanently attached to a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action" (30515(b) PC).

Quote:
although an AR platform I assume is going to be significantly different from how the Vector's mag release would work
Not necessarily, but I would need to take measurements of the magazine well.
Old 11-22-2021, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It seems the OEM mag catch is secured by 2 screws that are accessible without opening action. Simple enough to prevent detaching the mag by securing mag release and prevent access to it. Too bad you’re in SoCal as I don’t have a Kris Vector to take measurement from.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 11-23-2021, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by target_shot View Post
You use of the term "temporary" is concerning, because to be compliant, it needs to be "permanently attached to a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action" (30515(b) PC).

Not necessarily, but I would need to take measurements of the magazine well.
I meant temporarily as in, doesn't permanently drill or damage my lower/etc, which most mag lock devices have managed to avoid. but yes if you have the opportunity to come up with a device after measurements I would love to pay your for your time and work! Again I really appreciate your input sir!
Old 11-23-2021, 9:42 AM

**EDIT reading comprehension fail... saw this is for a pistol unfortunately thats the only way

you don't want to go featureless? thats what i ended up doing... can also run my freedom sticks!
Old 11-23-2021, 10:11 AM

OP, the idea is not be able to remove the 10rd mag when the actions are closed. So instead of looking at what to do on the receiver you may want to look at what to change on the magazine.

Don't have time to dig my Kriss out of the safe. But take your disassembled Kriss, and insert a 10rd mag and see if there are enough space where mag stick above the receiver to insert a short flat screw to prevent the mag from dropping out.

As long as the receiver can be assembled, you are now in compliance. Press all you want on the mag release, mag will not come out. It can only be removed if you disassemble and remove the flat screw. And zero modification to the receiver only modified a replaceable 10rd mag.

Last edited by walmart_ar15; 11-23-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Old 11-23-2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
And zero modification to the receiver only modified a replaceable 10rd mag.
I like this idea! I'm not as mechanically sound as I like to admit but I feel like this is something I could figure out. Thanks again man, if you do happen to pull out the Vector sometime and have the chance to figure it out before I do, I'd love to pay you for a modified Glock 21 mag! I'd even give ya 100$ to send one to me that works! I appreciate your input!!
Old 11-24-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I like this idea! I'm not as mechanically sound as I like to admit but I feel like this is something I could figure out. Thanks again man, if you do happen to pull out the Vector sometime and have the chance to figure it out before I do, I'd love to pay you for a modified Glock 21 mag! I'd even give ya 100$ to send one to me that works! I appreciate your input!!
LOL Iím not going to ask for money to help a fellow cal gunner out, but u do need to do ur own work I like to promote folks to understand how their firearm works, and make their own simple repairs or mods.

Save ur money and go buy a drill and some bits.

Here r some pictures hopefully will help. Key is not get the mag too high, or it will interfere with extractionÖ To load, tilt ur receiver barrel 45degree up, use a rod, pencil, to push the mag follower/round down and slide the next round in. Do it few times and ur get it.

Honestly it sucks to load like this as u basically have to remove the bolt group as well. But sounds like there may not be other options.

Good luck and have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07CD7682-B1C7-46BD-8434-86010A51DA52.jpg (11.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 8F3F2816-0758-435A-B6B5-1796FFAF6E57.jpg (12.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The brand of the magazine lock is called Maglatch. It is not simply a lock pinned in place, which i mentioned is not what I'm looking for.

I have no idea how it worked for the Kriss Vector, I never got my hands on one or I wouldn't be in this predicament. But based on Maglatch's AR design, I assume their mechanism keeps the magazine locked permanently until the receiver is opened and the shim is removed.

Thanks all for your insight
I don't have a vector to work on, but all you need to do is make something that will keep the mag catch from being able to move while the upper is pinned on the lower.
This might require getting an extra mag catch to modify but those seem to be available from Kriss or maybe they are just modified Glock parts.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-25-2021, 6:04 PM

Perhaps talk to Compmag about making something for you

A compmag type system seems like a good solution to your problem

Old 11-26-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
Perhaps talk to Compmag about making something for you

A compmag type system seems like a good solution to your problem
These are all such great pieces of advice and input! Thank you all, and I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!!

I like this, I'll reach out to compmag, hopefully they take odd jobs like this!