Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 12-06-2021, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I'm in complete vapor-lock for decision making on what I want todo for suppressors. At this stage I'm even seriously considering simply building my own stuff from kits after doing eForm 1s. Short turnaround times make this look really attractive, the only PITA is getting cards rolled.

Another thought I was considering with regard to electronic form 1 submission was the possibility of doing cards once and somehow electronically reproducing them with a hi-res scan and print. Has anyone done this successfully? (obviously this is what Silencer Shop does via their Kiosks)
My local PD had a gal come around once a week to do prints. She scans your fingers with a pretty simple looking machine, and then prints as many as you want. I imagine she wouldn't do 20, but I think I asked for 3 or 4 sets.

They have to be printed on official AFT cards, so doing it yourself could be hard enough that it's not worth it, and just pay someone 15 bucks and be done.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
A form 1 will always be faster than a form 4. However the ATF is opening or already eFile for form 4s. No one knows if this will speed up approvals on F4ís but it definitely will make it easier to complete and submit the paperwork.

As far as F1 cans go, my preference is to go with a can from a well know company because of the support of anything goes wrong. But I have duplicates of each caliber so I am not in a rush to get it since I have alternates.
That place that does Form 1 cans is Silencer Central? They had a booth at SAR. I'm still dubious that a can that handles rifle calibers can be made strong enough to come apart. Maybe they were done that way years ago? I wasn't into rifle cans back then. No mainstream manufacturers currently make rifle cans that disassemble, to my knowledge. I don't think they are much cheaper than complete cans anyway, are they? You can get a YHM Turbo (.223) under $400 or a YHM Resonator (.308) under $500 I think.
Old 12-08-2021, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I'm in complete vapor-lock for decision making on what I want todo for suppressors. At this stage I'm even seriously considering simply building my own stuff from kits after doing eForm 1s. Short turnaround times make this look really attractive, the only PITA is getting cards rolled.

Another thought I was considering with regard to electronic form 1 submission was the possibility of doing cards once and somehow electronically reproducing them with a hi-res scan and print. Has anyone done this successfully? (obviously this is what Silencer Shop does via their Kiosks)

I was in analysis paralysis for at least a year on cans also. I finally decided to go with rugged suppressors and bought 3 of them. .45acp obsidian, 7.62 surge, and .22lr oculus. These will cover everything I own that i want to suppress. Do yourself a favor and look into Rugged suppressors. Iíve shot them prior to buying and really like everything about them. Their warranty is like vortexís. They warranty stupid. So long as the rear serialized part of the can remains, theyíll fix it, no matter what you did to destroy it.
Old 12-08-2021, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That place that does Form 1 cans is Silencer Central? They had a booth at SAR. I'm still dubious that a can that handles rifle calibers can be made strong enough to come apart. Maybe they were done that way years ago? I wasn't into rifle cans back then. No mainstream manufacturers currently make rifle cans that disassemble, to my knowledge. I don't think they are much cheaper than complete cans anyway, are they? You can get a YHM Turbo (.223) under $400 or a YHM Resonator (.308) under $500 I think.

For me personally, no way iím doing a form 1, drill your own aluminum baffle, rifle can.
I just canít see it holding up or performing anything like the stainless or titanium tube, fully welded stellite baffle suppressor I purchased for not a whole lot more money.
Old 12-08-2021, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I was in analysis paralysis for at least a year on cans also. I finally decided to go with rugged suppressors and bought 3 of them. .45acp obsidian, 7.62 surge, and .22lr oculus. These will cover everything I own that i want to suppress. Do yourself a favor and look into Rugged suppressors. Iíve shot them prior to buying and really like everything about them. Their warranty is like vortexís. They warranty stupid. So long as the rear serialized part of the can remains, theyíll fix it, no matter what you did to destroy it.
That's a good way to go for commonality of mounts, although that's less necessary these days. I went single manufacturer for the most part, but mostly because I'm cheap. Yankee Hill almost has a lock across all calibers wrt low prices.
Old 12-08-2021, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
For me personally, no way iím doing a form 1, drill your own aluminum baffle, rifle can.
I just canít see it holding up or performing anything like the stainless or titanium tube, fully welded stellite baffle suppressor I purchased for not a whole lot more money.
Exactly. YHM rifle cans have stainless steel baffles and an inconel blast baffle, fully welded. The mount part can be removed and swapped, but all the baffles are welded. The hybrids, like a SiCo Hybrid 46, has swappable end caps, but the baffles are welded.
Old 12-08-2021, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Exactly. YHM rifle cans have stainless steel baffles and an inconel blast baffle, fully welded. The mount part can be removed and swapped, but all the baffles are welded. The hybrids, like a SiCo Hybrid 46, has swappable end caps, but the baffles are welded.

YHM is good stuff. Yea I canít see aluminum screw together baffles holding up to rifle pressures for any length of time. Pass for me. I could see doing a pistol one, but even then Iíd rather and did invest in a professionally built one.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My local PD had a gal come around once a week to do prints. She scans your fingers with a pretty simple looking machine, and then prints as many as you want. I imagine she wouldn't do 20, but I think I asked for 3 or 4 sets.

They have to be printed on official AFT cards, so doing it yourself could be hard enough that it's not worth it, and just pay someone 15 bucks and be done.
I did find out you can request cards free from the ATF for free
https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
Select FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0800 for NFA Stuff.
Easy enough to roll my own...
Old 12-09-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
This thread on arf.com talks about doing that:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/H...ard/17-487726/

Iím too old and lazy, so I just order them from SS at $7 a set and be done with it. But you must first sign up at their kiosk.
I found that very helpful, thanks.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:34 AM

I am curious about something… I have a second home at Incline Village in Nevada,I have a Nevada ID with that address as well. My primary residence (domicile) is in California, I have a California Driver’s license. Can I setup a trust in Nevada with that address, obtain the tax stamps etc. with the address and store suppressors in my safe in Nevada? Or does the ATF require you to use your domicile address for these things?
Old 12-12-2021, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhxxx View Post
I am curious about somethingÖ I have a second home at Incline Village in Nevada,I have a Nevada ID with that address as well. My primary residence (domicile) is in California, I have a California Driverís license. Can I setup a trust in Nevada with that address, obtain the tax stamps etc. with the address and store suppressors in my safe in Nevada? Or does the ATF require you to use your domicile address for these things?
Theoretically, yes. As long as you never cross the CA state line with it, itís like any firearm. Just an additional process to go through, but after December 18th, you may be in for a treat. eForm 4 may likely speed up your wait time.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Theoretically, yes. As long as you never cross the CA state line with it, itís like any firearm. Just an additional process to go through, but after December 18th, you may be in for a treat. eForm 4 may likely speed up your wait time.
Cool, I need to setup the trust.
Old 12-21-2021, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhxxx View Post
Cool, I need to setup the trust.
I'm a week late here, so I'm not sure if you'll see this, but something came to mind you should look into about this.

After the tax stamp clears, the final step to obtaining a suppressor is that you go into your FFL and fill out a 4473 for the suppressor just like you would for a firearm. The 4473, as you likely know from any number of firearms you've bought in the past, requires you to put your residence address. So, you might want to consult a lawyer or other legalese-fluent person, but my non-lawyer opinion is that you might not be able to legally do what you're proposing while your primary residence remains in CA.
Old 12-21-2021, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
They're just heavier and more expensive than the fully-welded cans we're seeing today. Big companies did used to make them (and a couple still do--Griffin Armament makes a whole range of fully user serviceable centerfire rifle cans), but when it comes down to it, Joe Average chooses to buy the $500 fully welded YHM Resonator R2 over the $1000 fully user serviceable Griffin Paladin 300 (and who can blame him?).

As a fun factoid, the SilencerCo Omega 300 also technically comes apart. The baffle stack is joined to the titanium outer tube with a Rocksett-like adhesive; if you poke around on Google, you'll find that every now and then people have accidentally yanked the baffle stack out of the tube when they're putzing around with mounts and endcaps. So, not exactly in the spirit of what you posted, but there have been people who unintentionally disassembled their Omegas Here's an example: https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comment...muzzle_device/