Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-20-2021, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default Turning H/S precision stock into a lefty.

So I’m waiting on my MPA Ultralite but I wanna get this gun shooting and get a load developed. It’s a bighorn tl3 that i put a proof tapered pre fit on. I’ve got a RH take off for a Remington 700 LTR. The recoil lug fits, it sits in the stock fine, i just need to cut a Left hand bolt cutout and relieve a bit for the ejection port. Shouldn’t be an issue going slow with a dremel... my question to you guys is what would you fill in the other side with? I was thinking of some form of body filler with epoxy over it, or just epoxy resin?

If you’re wondering why... we’ll I’ve got the stock, I don’t fill like spending money, I’ve got the time.
Old 06-20-2021, 3:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Marine Tex

It’s going to be ghetto… if I did it

I would also do the same as with cement work

I’d run a bunch of small screws into the stock and run a fine wire across the screw heads.

Build up marine Tex over that. The screws and wires will add strength

You can also use bondo. Same concept with screws into the old stock to hold the repair.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-20-2021, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Right on, I was considering scratching it up with a wire brush to help with adhesion but didn’t think about the screws with wire, thanks for the tip. I just need it to be functional for a couple months. I’ll rattle can it afterwards anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Marine Tex

It’s going to be ghetto… if I did it

I would also do the same as with cement work

I’d run a bunch of small screws into the stock and run a fine wire across the screw heads.

Build up marine Tex over that. The screws and wires will add strength

You can also use bondo. Same concept with screws into the old stock to hold the repair.
Old 06-20-2021, 4:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
So I’m waiting on my MPA Ultralite but I wanna get this gun shooting and get a load developed. It’s a bighorn tl3 that i put a proof tapered pre fit on. I’ve got a RH take off for a Remington 700 LTR. The recoil lug fits, it sits in the stock fine, i just need to cut a Left hand bolt cutout and relieve a bit for the ejection port. Shouldn’t be an issue going slow with a dremel... my question to you guys is what would you fill in the other side with? I was thinking of some form of body filler with epoxy over it, or just epoxy resin?

If you’re wondering why... we’ll I’ve got the stock, I don’t fill like spending money, I’ve got the time.
The besides the bolt handle notch and ejection port, you might need to do some trigger pocket work.
It's easy going as the stock is foam filled inside of the very thin fiberglass shell.
Keep in mind that the strength of the stock comes from the shell so when you cut the shell, you are weakening the stock.
It might be better to purposely over-cut the stock and then build up again with the epoxy of your choice then to simply cut into the foam and spray paint it.
That way, the epoxy will be replacing the fiberglass skin that you removed.
It will look better after you shape with epoxy and sand it all smooth before painting than it will if you are painting the raw cut foam core.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-20-2021, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

I wasn’t planning on painting it in the raw. Was definitely going to apply some type of epoxy to strengthen the area and hopefully prevent it from degrading any further. Going to paint it after I’m done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The besides the bolt handle notch and ejection port, you might need to do some trigger pocket work.
It's easy going as the stock is foam filled inside of the very thin fiberglass shell.
Keep in mind that the strength of the stock comes from the shell so when you cut the shell, you are weakening the stock.
It might be better to purposely over-cut the stock and then build up again with the epoxy of your choice then to simply cut into the foam and spray paint it.
That way, the epoxy will be replacing the fiberglass skin that you removed.
It will look better after you shape with epoxy and sand it all smooth before painting than it will if you are painting the raw cut foam core.