Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-22-2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
This seems to be a sticking point for many, including myself, in the process. 12 weeks seems excessive though. I would try and contact someone, unfortunately I don't know who.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
could the possible reasons be; number of firearms on application or change of address within the last year. also there was an issue/error from 41 years ago on the rap sheet which was resolved by an attorney and most purchases have been approved within a day or 2. there were a few FA purchases that went past the 10 days, but one had to do with the FFL's address error and the other, i am not sure. both were eventually approved. isn't the doj standard of approval, whether the applicant is legally authorized to possess a firearm. doesn't the CCW discretion lie with the county; or could the DOJ exercise discretion to not approve a CCW, while at the same time allow a person to be a legal possessor.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedanesq View Post
could the possible reasons be; number of firearms on application or change of address within the last year. also there was an issue/error from 41 years ago on the rap sheet which was resolved by an attorney and most purchases have been approved within a day or 2. there were a few FA purchases that went past the 10 days, but one had to do with the FFL's address error and the other, i am not sure. both were eventually approved. isn't the doj standard of approval, whether the applicant is legally authorized to possess a firearm. doesn't the CCW discretion lie with the county; or could the DOJ exercise discretion to not approve a CCW, while at the same time allow a person to be a legal possessor.
I am not certain, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think those issues would have come up in the first two parts of the live scan, if they presented an issue at all. This final portion of the live scan is a human comparing your written information on make, model, serial number for all guns on your application to confirm that they are registered to you or a current spouse.

I can't think of any excuse for why it takes so long to complete other than CCL's are not a priority for our state gov't. and there's likely not many staff assigned to do this work. With LA county issuing, the system is likely inundated with CCL requests.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2021, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
I am not certain, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think those issues would have come up in the first two parts of the live scan, if they presented an issue at all. This final portion of the live scan is a human comparing your written information on make, model, serial number for all guns on your application to confirm that they are registered to you or a current spouse.

I can't think of any excuse for why it takes so long to complete other than CCL's are not a priority for our state gov't. and there's likely not many staff assigned to do this work. With LA county issuing, the system is likely inundated with CCL requests.
I had an experience with my Serial numbers in San Diego county that leads me to believe that Sheriffs have the ability to look up serial numbers instantly when they want. After all they only need to be concerned with the one or few you want on your permit, and I can't believe that if they recover a gun at a crime scene and want to know who the owner is, the investigation comes to a grinding halt for weeks and weeks while they await an answer from the DOJ.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 07-22-2021, 2:29 PM

Close but no cigar. Don't confuse the purchasing or transfer firearm DROS background with CCW background. Three status categories DOJ allows you to check online are: State, Federal, Firearms. It will either say completed or processing. Completed State and completed Federal doesnt mean approved. Those two are inquiries on criminal history, not checking firearm ownership or registration. The Firearms section has nothing to do with checking your guns, it's the CCW eligibility letter based on the State and Federal results. Everyones timeline is different. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBus View Post
Close but no cigar. Don't confuse the purchasing or transfer firearm DROS background with CCW background. Three status categories DOJ allows you to check online are: State, Federal, Firearms. It will either say completed or processing. Completed State and completed Federal doesnt mean approved. Those two are inquiries on criminal history, not checking firearm ownership or registration. The Firearms section has nothing to do with checking your guns, it's the CCW eligibility letter based on the State and Federal results. Everyones timeline is different. Hope this helps.
Yes it does and I appreciate the correction and information. I was under the misapprehension that the firearms portion was just a check to see if the serial numbers were registered to you.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 07-26-2021, 4:45 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Submitted renewal: 01/13
Interview scheduled for Palm Desert location: 05/10
Got a call today to do phone interview instead of face meeting and everything easy. Was advised to wait a week or two before my expiration date to pick up new card.
Update 7/26
Picked up my renewal card today at Palm Desert office and surprised they used the same picture from my expired card. Got all fancy for my picture too lol . Was originally wanted to pick up the card last Friday but made the mistake of not calling to verify CCW hours (Mon-Thurs only). Went on my lunch break and just waited for a little bit. Does save a trip out to Ben Clark

shuttlecock

F/S Uberti 1851 https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1646010
Old 07-26-2021, 6:42 PM

Default Starting the path towards CCWL

Hi All,

I'll be starting the CCWL process soon. I'm waiting for the 10 hold (03 Aug) for my first pistol. I'm registered for CCW Qual course (22 Aug) and I've been working on my GC already. Does anyone know if the application has to be completed all at once or are you able to save it and work on it? I think the answer is you have to finish it in one sitting but figured I'd ask here.

I ask, because the only thing preventing me from completing and submitting my application at this point is for the DMV to mail me my updated Driver license with current Riverside County address.

I really enjoy the wealth of information shared on this forum. It has made me a lot less apprehensive about actually applying for my CCWL.

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Mustang View Post
Hi All,

<SNIP>

Does anyone know if the application has to be completed all at once or are you able to save it and work on it? I think the answer is you have to finish it in one sitting but figured I'd ask here.

I ask, because the only thing preventing me from completing and submitting my application at this point is for the DMV to mail me my updated Driver license with current Riverside County address.

<SNIP>

Cheers!
I would recommend that once your GC has been completed and you have your supporting DOCs – or most of them as being compliant – I’d submit what you have that is “final” to get your place in queue and to schedule an interview. As you get closer to the interview date – or able to get one that is earlier due to cancellations – the background investigator (BI) will download your electronic copies and give it a once-over. If any are non-compliant or your GC in letter-format (you do have that separate from your app, right?) references a more current driver license, for example, they will contact you by phone or E-Mail to ensure that you have uploaded it. If the interview date is fast-approaching and the license with your new Riverside address will not arrive on time, let the BI know and they’ve been known to go froward with the rest of the process and will stop at the part where they’re awaiting the particular documentation they need before it’s submitted for review / approval.

I had a related issue with my driver license and only after it was resolved to the BI’s satisfaction dodge submit my app for approval. It came within four days of him validating my compliance documentation.

Review your app, reach out to other forum members here or Riverside County Gun Owners for assistance, pat the initial fees, submit and wait for the process to play out. Mine took about 4 months, even with the delay, so hang in there.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA-Rider View Post
I would recommend that once your GC has been completed and you have your supporting DOCs – or most of them as being compliant – I’d submit what you have that is “final” to get your place in queue and to schedule an interview. As you get closer to the interview date – or able to get one that is earlier due to cancellations – the background investigator (BI) will download your electronic copies and give it a once-over.

<SNIP>

Good luck!
To be clear, the advice to submit when you’re happy with your GC and you have the DOCs that are “final” – you have two proofs of residency – is to get your app in and queued up for interview. If, as a result of the interview, you need to polish your GC or provide additional DOCs, I would recommend you get all the follow-up uploads in order and submit in one session.

The reason for this is that I suspect that every upload session triggers a message in your BI’s system that additional DOCs have been uploaded for them to review: they’re busy so the less you irritate them – LOL! – with multiple, separate upload sessions, the faster try work your application packet.

I needed documentation for the quals, LiveScan results (the reference number on the form had to be uploaded), and one other doohickey (I can’t remember what) … I had the last two the same day as the interview but waited to upload all three two weeks after the interview because that was when my paperwork for my mandated training class finally came in. My BI informed me that he will be submitting my app for approval on a Saturday(!), which was a couple of days after I uploaded the requested DOCs in one session.

I hope that’s more clear …
Old 07-26-2021, 8:26 PM

Perfectly clear! Thanks for the detailed advice. I appreciate it. I'm trying to make this as smooth as possible.

And to answer your previous question, yes I'm working my GC separate from the actual application. Thanks again.