Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-13-2020, 1:08 PM

Default Question about jobs after PD retirement

My brother back in Oklahoma retired about a year ago. He’s 45. 23 years patrol experience with a good size / professional department. Did a year as a SRO. Probably 10 years FTO. He doesn’t have any supervisory experience. never tested for SGT, etc.

Basically his wife got pregnant with kid number 4 and got breast cancer in the same year. He was needed at home, and it was financially beneficial to retire at that point. Wife’s better now, can help with the kid. Kids not as helpless as they are day one, etc.

He’s working for small School PD only pays like 35k. Lot of freedom but super bored and not much money. What’s out there? Though not a detective he’s been a cop forever, is very good at finding people and investigation.

What kind of job would you be looking for?
Old 02-13-2020, 1:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get a casual, part time adjunct job teaching at the academy or local community college in AJ?

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
Old 02-13-2020, 2:07 PM

He can teach at a private college that has a criminal justice program. If he has a concealed carry permit, he can apply for an Executive Protection job which normally pays more than a uniformed security guard. Also, the US Marshals contract with private security companies to do transports which pays pretty well. Also, some counties hire retirees for Sheriff's Department security officers that are at the front doors of the courts manning the metal detectors. There are private companies who do background investigations as well which he can apply for.

These are all jobs that the former LEO's I know have gotten.

Jonas Blane Talking To Bob Brown, Season 1, Episode 1 of THE UNIT
Old 02-13-2020, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do all police agencies have the same retirement system?

Example - LAPD and LA Sheriffs have a different system.

Max out in one- switch to the other agency and start a new pension

At 44, it’s a possibility in OK as well

“Sacrificial is now Essential Employee”
“We can’t call people Sacrificial... they can’t hear the truth” Gov Newsom

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-13-2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Do all police agencies have the same retirement system?

Example - LAPD and LA Sheriffs have a different system.

Max out in one- switch to the other agency and start a new pension

At 44, it’s a possibility in OK as well
So he’s out of the “Oklahoma pension system” now. He’s currently working for a department that has a different pension system but it’s pretty low pay. Looking at Sherriff’s office, which pays more and has its own retirement system, but he’s pretty bummed about the prospect of working the jail / court house. No take home car.

I keep thinking he should be able to work for some Oklahoma investigative body. But four kids 1, 8, 12, and 15 - Reason he never promoted was it’s always been important to his wife for him to not go back to nights etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Does it have to be in Law Enforcement? Sounds like he has a TON of options. Hell, at this point I'd look at ANYTHING other than LEO. There's just a world of good stuff out there to do.
Old 02-13-2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Does it have to be in Law Enforcement? Sounds like he has a TON of options. Hell, at this point I'd look at ANYTHING other than LEO. There's just a world of good stuff out there to do.
Suggestions? That’s a big part of what I’m asking. Need ideas what to look at
Old 02-13-2020, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Donut taster/tester?
Old 02-13-2020, 5:21 PM

I know a lot of retired LE that are now investigators for DA's offices, or the private sector.
Old 02-13-2020, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of oil jobs that pay big money going on from TX to SD.
Old 02-13-2020, 6:50 PM

Fraud investigator, Dmv investigator, DA investigator, executive protection, training, academy teaching, driving instructor, insurance industry possibly, cyber crime/financial crimes private industry jobs, Constellis/USMS court or inmate transport gigs, firearms training/armored, that’s all off the top of my head.

I wound up taking a gig out of left field that pays pretty well and hours are good... still working on rehabbing myself and would like to transition back to something more fulfilling but he may be surprised what pops out at him. For instance, as others have mentioned there may be work related to the oil industry as a part time or full timer where they are really looking for someone dependable, easy to teach who may not have any aspirations of taking their training and bouncing after six months, , honest, and drug free. Whatever that particular gif may be I don’t know; but it definitely pays to cast a wide net if he isn’t in a hurry
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 02-14-2020, 8:48 AM

Do they have code enforcement where he is at? A couple of my co-workers went for county jobs enforcing local codes....people living in RV's illegally, environmental crimes, that kind of stuff. Up in the northern counties here it is not a bad gig. Some others went for TSA spots at small airports.
Old 02-14-2020, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
My brother back in Oklahoma retired about a year ago. He’s 45. 23 years patrol experience with a good size / professional department. Did a year as a SRO. Probably 10 years FTO. He doesn’t have any supervisory experience. never tested for SGT, etc.

Basically his wife got pregnant with kid number 4 and got breast cancer in the same year. He was needed at home, and it was financially beneficial to retire at that point. Wife’s better now, can help with the kid. Kids not as helpless as they are day one, etc.

He’s working for small School PD only pays like 35k. Lot of freedom but super bored and not much money. What’s out there? Though not a detective he’s been a cop forever, is very good at finding people and investigation.

What kind of job would you be looking for?
District Attorney Investigator. Maybe ?
College / University PD?
Security at Federal Courts ?

Last edited by SDDAVE56; 02-14-2020 at 9:54 AM..
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don’t understand the promotion thing... and that’s Okay.

I don’t think sergeants work different hours.

It’s not like a detective who is in call certain days of the week.

Any how, a friends dad retired as a Brooklyn beat cop. Went to work for a big bank as a fraud investigator. Makes more and enjoys the work.

Not sure if the big banks need a Midwest investigator who can’t be away from home. It sounds like 2-4 day trips would not work for him.

Maybe a local large credit union needs a fraud investigation person.

“Sacrificial is now Essential Employee”
“We can’t call people Sacrificial... they can’t hear the truth” Gov Newsom

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-14-2020, 9:38 PM

At age 44, he is still young to be able to get an LEO job pretty much anywhere. Except, after 1 year, he needs to check his POST certificate is still valid.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 PM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

My neighbor retired from the local PD after over 20 years in narcotics. He's now a marshal at the courts in a neighboring town.

I have a buddy in Philadelphia who retired from Philly PD after 29 years. He now works for the DOJ as a grant writer liaison for police departments in his region sto they can get the gear and equipment and funding they need.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 2:15 AM

Get on with a rural Alaska PD, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. They pay for your travel to and from the location for your work schedule, you can live out of state, he would not have to move. You catch a plane from your local area, fly to alaska, work your 2 weeks, then they fly you back home for your 2 weeks off and repeat. 12hr shifts. They pay well. https://www.cityofkotzebue.com/verti...er_Updated.pdf

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 02-15-2020 at 2:22 AM..
Old 02-16-2020, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Just because someone was a cop, doesn’t mean they can “teach” at the college level. Just say’n.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-Life member, CRPA

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 02-16-2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Just because someone was a cop, doesn’t mean they can “teach” at the college level. Just say’n.
Why not? And what exactly do you think college level is? Because I can tell you, it is not what most people think. Hell, a large fraction of college students can not read a wall clock with a minute and hour hand, no joke, for real. They also can not tell you where the majority of states are on a map or tell you what the 3 branches of government are. This is a sad FACT. Back in the 1700s, we had Americans graduating from Harvard at the age of 18 and able to quote Plato in Greek and Latin. Today they can barely read or do simple algebra. I went to a community college for 2 years then to a Cal State University, and I can tell you, there were a few really sharp professors but a whole hell of a lot of bull ****ters.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 02-16-2020 at 7:53 PM..
Old 02-17-2020, 6:41 PM

Nowhere on that job posting did they mention paying for travel to and fro.Hell id look into that for myself if thats the case lol
Old 02-19-2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I don’t understand the promotion thing... and that’s Okay.

I don’t think sergeants work different hours.

It’s not like a detective who is in call certain days of the week.

I’m sure he’d have a better answer than I would. But his department worked so that if you promoted you went back to nights / low man on the totem poll / bottom slot on bidding for shifts. I worked for an OK Pd for about 3 minutes a long time ago, and it was the same thing. He tested for SGT, like once before he got married and they took the guy with more seniority. After the kids started showing up It was off the table for whatever reason. Tons of qualifications, taught all sorts of stuff, won awards - ie he wasn’t lazy at all. He just feels his supervisory experience is lacking
Old 02-19-2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Lots of oil jobs that pay big money going on from TX to SD.
What type of job? Never thought about oil, wouldn’t know what to look for
Old 02-19-2020, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Why not? And what exactly do you think college level is? Because I can tell you, it is not what most people think. Hell, a large fraction of college students can not read a wall clock with a minute and hour hand, no joke, for real. They also can not tell you where the majority of states are on a map or tell you what the 3 branches of government are. This is a sad FACT. Back in the 1700s, we had Americans graduating from Harvard at the age of 18 and able to quote Plato in Greek and Latin. Today they can barely read or do simple algebra. I went to a community college for 2 years then to a Cal State University, and I can tell you, there were a few really sharp professors but a whole hell of a lot of bull ****ters.
Looks to me that you just described some college “professors” to a Tee. Good job.

...and I agree.

When I retire, I’m done. Thank God. My finances will be in order and every day is a vacation day, paid for by my retirement association, my deferred compensation account and IRA. Time to explore the USA and Canada in my land yacht. Work is for chumps after retirement.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-Life member, CRPA

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 02-19-2020 at 7:09 PM..