Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 AM

Default My first 1911 some questions and modifications. ?

Hey guys,

I purchased a SA Mil-Spec (waiting on delivery) as I've always enjoyed shooting this gun at the range and always loved how it looks. As petty as it sounds I probably would of went with the Loaded version had it not got the front serrations.

I don't like that look but I did order a skeletal ultra-light trigger from Wilson combat and some extra mags.

What I want to add is also the beavertail safety and the skeletal hammer, I got a black gun so I want the trigger stainless and the hammer stainless. I like how that looks.

Im curious what the difference is between a full fit beaver tail grip saftey and a a drop in?

I also would like to know if the regular thumb safety can be changed out for an ambi safety like the loaded?

And laslty are these parts generally all universal and fit? I know it may need some smitthing ill be having a gunsmith do all the work as i suck at that stuff and have a good tendency to break things.

I see wilson and ed browns seem to be top choices.

Lastly i see people talking about replacing the ILS locking on CA models, first of all is this legal to remove and secondly does it offer any advantage removing it?

Anything I should know, any suggestions, tips or other mods one should make to this gun?

Thanks!

Last edited by Irish-Dannyboy; 08-12-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 2:37 AM

How much money are you willing to put in the gun?

- A drop-in beavertail grip safety requires no modification to the frame but will have a mediocre or okay fit at best. There will certainly be an unsightly gap between the frame tangs and the grip safety, like in the pic below:

Most don't look that bad but you get the idea. The main advantage of a drop-in safety is you're getting about 80% of the function of a full fit grip safety at about 20% of the cost. This is mainly an aesthetic issue. It should be noted that most "drop-in" parts require at least some fitting and filing.

A full fit beavertail grip safety is custom fit to the frame and will have a seamless fit. It will have a much nicer feel in your hand. This is a time consuming process that should only be done by a competent and experienced 1911 gunsmith. The frame will need to be modified and the frame tangs also need to be blended and may require welding. Since the frame will be modified, it will need to be refinished. You can expect to pay around $175-$300 for fitting/installation (part included) and $175-$400 for the refinish. It will look something like this:

- The single-sided safety can be changed out to an ambi safety. This should also be custom fit by a good 1911 gunsmith. Expect to pay around $75-$100 for fitting plus the price of the part.

- It is perfectly legal to remove the ILS. To me, it is an unneeded attorney/anti-gun add on. If I had one on a gun, I would replace it with a regular mainspring housing. The 1911 already has two safeties, it doesn't need another one.

Last edited by Oldboyjun; 08-12-2019 at 2:41 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboyjun View Post

- A drop-in beavertail grip safety requires no modification to the frame but will have a mediocre or okay fit at best. There will certainly be an unsightly gap between the frame tangs and the grip safety, like in the pic below:

Most don't look that bad but you get the idea. The main advantage of a drop-in safety is you're getting about 80% of the function of a full fit grip safety at about 20% of the cost. This is mainly an aesthetic issue. It should be noted that most "drop-in" parts require at least some fitting and filing.

A full fit beavertail grip safety is custom fit to the frame and will have a seamless fit. It will have a much nicer feel in your hand. This is a time consuming process that should only be done by a competent and experienced 1911 gunsmith. The frame will need to be modified and the frame tangs also need to be blended and may require welding. Since the frame will be modified, it will need to be refinished. You can expect to pay around $175-$300 for fitting/installation (part included) and $175-$400 for the refinish. It will look something like this:

- The single-sided safety can be changed out to an ambi safety. This should also be custom fit by a good 1911 gunsmith. Expect to pay around $75-$100 for fitting plus the price of the part.

- It is perfectly legal to remove the ILS. To me, it is an unneeded attorney/anti-gun add on. If I had one on a gun, I would replace it with a regular mainspring housing. The 1911 already has two safeties, it doesn't need another one.
Thanks for the very informative answer. Im wiling to spend another couple hundred on it right now, maybe more down the line, I dont want to spend too much and feel like i should of just bought a higher grade gun lol.

As far as the grip safety goes ill need to get the full fitted as I have bad ocd and that gap etc would annoy the hell out of me..

How much do you think it should cost to get the new trigger and hammer put in?

Is there a particular full fit beaver tail safety u might recommend im having a hard time choosing one on wilson site.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2019, 4:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Starting with a mil spec and having it built the way you want it will be better than buying a factory “higher grade” gun. The fit, finish and function from a 1911 smith will be far superior.

The grip safety being seamless fit to a mil spec will not need any welding as your tangs are oversized already. If it was a loaded or similar than yes we’d weld up the tangs to oversized to allow fitting to seamless in appearance.

I recommend you call a 1911 smith and get a quote for the work you want. Do some research. There are some excellent ones local in California and some to avoid. If they don’t have a backlog that should be a red flag. Also prices vary Smith to Smith. This is your gun that you will have for a long long time, you don’t want to rush and have a hack mess it up costing you extra money getting it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 4:26 AM

What beaver tail safety you get will be determined by what brand of gun you purchased. Various manufacturers make the tangs to slightly different specs. Since you said that you got an SA, more than likely you will need one with a .220" grip radius(most others use a .250"). .220" grip safeties are a little less common. I used a Smith and Alexander when I did mine. It has the extra hump near the lower end to make sure that the safety is fully depressed.
You will need a .220" jig, but if you go that route, you will need to refinish the pistol. Or, use cold blue or something to hide the fresh metal.
I replaced my internals will Harrison True Radius ignition parts(hammer, sear, and disconnector). Which I dropped in without fitting. Works very well. I don't remember what the trigger was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAI1911B.jpg (12.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Thanks guys. Any 1911 smith recommendations in or close to San Fernando Valley would be appreciated thank you!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you want a black 1911 with beaver tail grip safeties and a nice trigger, none of which needs work or mods, plus a great set of all black low profile sights, you should get the Kimber custom II. It is on sale at turners for $700. That is prolly only 25 bucks more than what you pay for a basic SA.

A customized gun by a good smith definetly ranks higher and looks custom made but it will cost twice as much money and you will not have your gun for a while(back log in the shop) depending on the shop you go to.

Oh well, you asked the question too late.

Last edited by heidad01; 08-12-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM

For a Milspec such as you have OP, I prefer to keep mods to a minimum. For my own, only modification I like to do is replace the stock ILS with a standard MSH and internals. I then polish all parts that I can find that is rough.

To answer some of your question: Yes the thumb safety can be replaced with an ambidextrous safety. An extended beaver tail grip safety can also be installed (I prefer this done by a good 1911 gunsmith, not a hack).

Most of us here recommends " Brett " (look above on Post #4), of Cifaldi Precision.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Don’t be afraid to send your pistol away to a qualified smith. It isn’t a hassle worth avoiding. Brett is one of the best. He was able to fix a pistol for me that both Springfield Custom and Nighthawk couldn’t figure out. The man knows his stuff.
Old 08-12-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupulepeter View Post
Don’t be afraid to send your pistol away to a qualified smith. It isn’t a hassle worth avoiding. Brett is one of the best. He was able to fix a pistol for me that both Springfield Custom and Nighthawk couldn’t figure out. The man knows his stuff.
Thanks guys, well Brett doesn't appear to be far away. I messaged him. My local smith is a guy called Dean Wilkerson any of you guys know him?
Old 08-12-2019, 4:09 PM

Cifaldi- look no farther.
Old 08-12-2019, 5:18 PM

Don't keep a Mil-Spec stock if you plan on shooting it. The look is garbage, it feels like crap and it will probably make you bleed. Life's too short to shoot guns that need work. And anything Mil-Spec needs work.

And don't go that "drop in" BTGS, it looks like garbage. Get it done right. Same with sights.
Old 08-12-2019, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Since Springfield Armory Custom Shop does not take extensive customization work anymore send it to Cifaldi Precision. The work he does and posts here & other social media are impressively solid.

If I still had a project SA Mil-spec i'd send it to Cifaldi Prescision and get it done up proper all at once.
Old 08-12-2019, 6:13 PM

I have a drop in Wilson safety I’m selling cheap. Doesn’t work with a Kimber series 80. If you want it let me know.

Modifying a 1911 is so much fun and so individual.

Old 08-12-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Dannyboy View Post
Hey guys,

I purchased a SA Mil-Spec (waiting on delivery) as I've always enjoyed shooting this gun at the range and always loved how it looks. As petty as it sounds I probably would of went with the Loaded version had it not got the front serrations.

I don't like that look but I did order a skeletal ultra-light trigger from Wilson combat and some extra mags.

What I want to add is also the beavertail safety and the skeletal hammer, I got a black gun so I want the trigger stainless and the hammer stainless. I like how that looks.

Im curious what the difference is between a full fit beaver tail grip saftey and a a drop in?

I also would like to know if the regular thumb safety can be changed out for an ambi safety like the loaded?

And laslty are these parts generally all universal and fit? I know it may need some smitthing ill be having a gunsmith do all the work as i suck at that stuff and have a good tendency to break things.

I see wilson and ed browns seem to be top choices.

Lastly i see people talking about replacing the ILS locking on CA models, first of all is this legal to remove and secondly does it offer any advantage removing it?

Anything I should know, any suggestions, tips or other mods one should make to this gun?

Thanks!
Well...

Seems to be a lot of vitriol toward the SA 1911-A1 "Mil-Spec".

My suggestion is, since you haven't even received it yet...?

Grease it and Shoot it.

Mine shoots great, doesn't bite, functions flawlessly, the trigger breaks like an icicle, and the slide's tighter than a Mermaid's petunia.

Got some SA OEM stainless mags, Put in a Wolff 18.5 lb. recoil spring for ball ammo, stoned the electro-pencil serial number on the under-side of the slide, and put $9 Trigger Happy nylon grips to keep the OEM cocobolos nice.

1911-A1.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-12-2019 at 6:51 PM..
Old 08-12-2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
Well...

My suggestion is, since you haven't even received it yet...?

Grease it and Shoot it.

Mine shoots great, doesn't bite, functions flawlessly, the trigger breaks like an icicle, and the slide's tighter than a Mermaid's petunia.

Got some SA OEM stainless mags, Put in a Wolff 18.5 lb. recoil spring for ball ammo, stoned the electro-pencil serial number on the under-side of the slide, and put $9 Trigger Happy nylon grips to keep the OEM cocobolos nice.

1911-A1.

GR
Yea Robert above is the first person to give it such a horrible review in all the research ive done in the past couple weeks lol..

Stoned the serial, this is a color change?
Old 08-12-2019, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboyjun View Post

Nor does it need one that no one in their right mind would use as a safety on a carry piece, or an anti-use/theft deterrent that is so easily defeated.

Just another stupid, unnecessary, do nothing, placate the sheeple “gun-safety” device.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 08-12-2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Nor does it need one that no one in their right mind would use as a safety on a carry piece, or an anti-use/theft deterrent that is so easily defeated.

Just another stupid, unnecessary, do nothing, placate the sheeple “gun-safety” device.

Lol was it a CA politician that came up with this? Im really in disbelief of the CA laws surrounding firearms its very Pro criminal and anti law abiding citizen.
Old 08-12-2019, 9:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
I have a drop in Wilson safety I’m selling cheap. Doesn’t work with a Kimber series 80. If you want it let me know.

Modifying a 1911 is so much fun and so individual.

Are you talking thumb or grip safety.

I’ve yet to see a grip safety not work with the Kimber series 2. It simply needs to be properly fitted.

There are no issues with any thumb safeties fitting the Kimbers. 70 or 80 series doesn’t effect thumb safeties. They have to be fitted. They do not drop in.

Series 2 Kimbers are not 80 series. They use 70 series parts. Their firing pin block is different than a colt 80 series allowing them to not need special parts when ordering.

The term 80 series is a Colt copyright term and applies to Colt.

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 08-12-2019 at 9:23 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
Well, my 1980s edition of the SA Mil Spec came with a barrel that had a hood that was .022" too short. Proper fit is contact, though up to about t010" is acceptable. The bore on mine slugged at .454", and it should not have been larger than .452". Nothing close to spec.
It now sports an Ed Brown barrel, Harrison True Radius ignition set, Hooper Gun Works/RIA ambidextrous safety, S&A beaver tail grip safety, and different trigger.
My son's SAI Military came with a barrel that was .023" too short. It now has a Palmetto drop in barrel, not perfect, but a vast improvement. Since he's a lefty, it also now has the Hooper Gun Works ambiguity safety, as well as higher white dot sights.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:47 AM

I would strongly advocate shooting the pistol as it is for a while...that way you'll get a feel for how well it functions and fits, whether any problems manifest. You'll get a feel for how accurate it is, how well the sights work for you, are there any sharp edges that annoy you. Then i would send it to a great gunsmith and upgrade accordingly to address these issues, concerns and wants.

Brett Cifaldi's work is certainly exemplary and would in my opinion be strongly considered. He's been a wonderful help and asset to many of us here on the forum. That said, there are many excellent gunsmiths and artisans who do magnificent work with the 1911 platform. Styles, execution, timeliness and prices vary accordingly.

The 1911s that i've had personalized have brought me great joy and satisfaction.

Can't wait to see what direction you choose.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post
Starting with a mil spec and having it built the way you want it will be better than buying a factory “higher grade” gun. The fit, finish and function from a 1911 smith will be far superior.

The grip safety being seamless fit to a mil spec will not need any welding as your tangs are oversized already. If it was a loaded or similar than yes we’d weld up the tangs to oversized to allow fitting to seamless in appearance.

I recommend you call a 1911 smith and get a quote for the work you want. Do some research. There are some excellent ones local in California and some to avoid. If they don’t have a backlog that should be a red flag. Also prices vary Smith to Smith. This is your gun that you will have for a long long time, you don’t want to rush and have a hack mess it up costing you extra money getting it fixed.

This. Also, don't do it piecemeal. Figure out what you want or need. Is this 1911 for competition? Then you will more than likely want checkering done (this will manifest as you learn to shoot fast), ambi safety, bigger sights, a very crisp trigger, and probably some reliability and magwell work.

For carry, some users don't want extensive checkering, ambi safeties nor big sights.
Old 08-13-2019, 6:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
This. Also, don't do it piecemeal. Figure out what you want or need. Is this 1911 for competition? Then you will more than likely want checkering done (this will manifest as you learn to shoot fast), ambi safety, bigger sights, a very crisp trigger, and probably some reliability and magwell work.

For carry, some users don't want extensive checkering, ambi safeties nor big sights.

Very good suggestions.

Old 08-13-2019, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Yea Robert above is the first person to give it such a horrible review in all the research ive done in the past couple weeks lol..

Quote:
Nope.

For some reason, SA saw fit to serialize the slide by electro-penciling the tail end of the serial number onto the otherwise smooth, and desirably so, pad that the disconector rides on.

You can't miss it, just dismount the slide and flip it over.

P.S. My PB9108L came w/o the ILS.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-13-2019 at 7:55 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Well, my 1980s edition of the SA Mil Spec came with a barrel that had a hood that was .022" too short. Proper fit is contact, though up to about t010" is acceptable. The bore on mine slugged at .454", and it should not have been larger than .452". Nothing close to spec...
The... 80's...?

That was a looong time before the current batch of American Made CNC beauties.

They are really sweet.

Shoot one.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-13-2019 at 7:54 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

OP leave it as is. Maybe improve the trigger.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As petty as it sounds I probably would of went with the Loaded version had it not got the front serrations.
Contrary to popular belief, front serrations are quite useful if you practice a lot. It's more natural to use them to cock the gun because your hands don't overlap.

If you watch videos of top competitive shooters, you'll see that most of them use front serrations to operate the slide (the exceptions are guns with gas pedals which cannot be operated this way).

Quote:
... I like how that looks.
Nothing wrong with setting up gun the way you like it to look. The only suggestion I have is to first get the functional enhancements sorted out, then work on the looks. A pretty gun that doesn't fit or operate the way you like is much worse than a good shooting gun that is not up to your liking.

If you ever get a chance to shoot a fully upgraded race gun, you'll know what I mean. It will be such a pleasant experience that you won't even consider whether it's beat up on the inside of the magwell from all the practice.

Quote:
And laslty are these parts generally all universal and fit?
No.

These guns will have specified tolerances, but each gun will be slightly different. Even with close tolerances of one manufacturer, guns from other manufacturers will be different enough. Any quality part that is used in a 1911 will be slightly oversized and will require fitting, so that it can be used in any gun. Otherwise, it would have to be either manufactured smaller to fit all guns, or it would be large and not fit guns on the smaller side of specs.

Unlike Glocks, where one company controls the frames and tolerances, 1911 is a generic design so each gun is put together like a watch, with different custom part sizes. That's what gunsmiths call "fitting."

Quote:
It is legal. There isn't any advantage beyond removing a mechanism that serves no purpose. If you're getting work done, just remove it. Otherwise it won't hurt you, but it's useless.

Quote:
Get the trigger done. The best part of 1911 design is its trigger, so make sure you take advantage of it.

I have a couple of 1911 competition triggers done by Brett and they are every bit as good as the triggers on my fully custom SVI Infinities. They also completely "make" the gun and are much more important than all the other upgrades that go into a competition gun.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

You're calling advise (that you asked for) a review?

I'll admit I'm not a fan of Springfield Armory 1911 pistols, and I've owned a few (still have two). They charge $1,000.00 for the 9mm ,and it's an ill-fit mess. Every 1911 of theirs I've felt has been gritty, loose and full of poorly fit parts. The electors aren't even pinned (never had one fall out, so maybe not a big deal).

Mil-Spec guns are not as comfortable to shoot as those with a BTGS, if you say they are you're being less than forthright. They make some hands bleed from hammer bite, and I dont have particularly large hands. Pinned front sight makes changing a gunsmith event. And they require a non-standard .220" radius on the tangs for a BTGS which is a huge WTF! And that drop-in BTGS is just ugly and makes the gun look like a cobbled together hack job.

But this is all my opinion ion and experience. Feel free to ignore it or heed it, it matters not to me. Have fun with your gun.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
The electors aren't even pinned (never had one fall out, so maybe not a big deal).
^^^ That's a funny slip right there .

For those who don't know, it's about ejectors, not electors...
Old 08-13-2019, 3:01 PM

Yes contact Cifaldi and get it done with confidence.
Old 08-13-2019, 3:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Congratulations OP on your new purchase. I have two Springfield 1911's, and both have been great. As a left hander, the ambi safety is a must, but all other controls are easy enough to manipulate via trigger finger.

Although both came from the factory with the ambi, I have had to install an ambi on a S&W 1911. I believe it was a WC part, and my gunsmith did it right, making a nice fit with the audible "snick" when it engaged. The factory grips may need to be relief cut for the ambi if you want to keep using them.

One advantage of the USGI variant out of the box is that it (IIRC?) has a USGI guide rod set up. I have no use whatsoever for the FLGR, although some people like it.

Even though it isn't my EDC, the 1911 and its heft, history, and spot on century old ergonomics make it a centerpiece of my handgun collection and I shoot them as much as I can.
Old 08-13-2019, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The first thing you should do to your SA is put 500 rounds of 230gr ball though it, the 2nd thing is another 500 rounds.

My first center-fire auto was a Colt Combat Commander, never got bit. Learn to shoot it then decide if there is anything that needs to be addressed function or form.
Old 08-13-2019, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post

Well put. ^^^

Ambi thumb safeties were made for left handed folks. Then they became a tacticool feature fir marketing.
If you are not a lefty, avoid puting an ambi safety on a 1911. It will never be used, is extremely dificult when taking the gun apart for complete cleaning, and why have an extra lever hanging on the side of the gun.
Old 08-13-2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Well put. ^^^

Ambi thumb safeties were made for left handed folks. Then they became a tacticool feature fir marketing.
If you are not a lefty, avoid puting an ambi safety on a 1911. It will never be used, is extremely dificult when taking the gun apart for complete cleaning, and why have an extra lever hanging on the side of the gun.
There it is! I, too, avoid the ambi thumb safety.
Old 08-13-2019, 8:23 PM

Thanks guys, Good point regarding the ambi safety but Brett did have a good point saying if you ever for whatever reason need to utilize your weak hand.

Its not totally necessary maybe an area where I should consider saving, i just think it gives the gun a more evened out look.
Old 08-13-2019, 8:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Well put. ^^^

You don’t shoot competition do you? That’s the big reason right there.

In my experience and what I told the OP. There are two scenarios where it’s handy. After that I can’t think of any for a right handed shooter.

Competition. They love to through weak handed stages at you.

When I was an Air Marshal we did injured officer drills. Granted I did not carry a 1911, I carried an issued duty gun, but that thought process will always be in my head.

Old 08-14-2019, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Almost ambi shooter here. I’ve learned to reach my left thumb across to flip the thumb safety off. Yeah I know it’s a very poor tactic with regards to retention.