Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 1:50 AM

My question is this: if I have a rifle now considered an assault rifle due to the new law and have to register it before 6/2018 (or whatever it is) can I still own and transport it in this configuration before that? Or does it become illegal now since registries has been open and I haven't registered it yet?
Old 09-18-2017, 4:12 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
My question is this: if I have a rifle now considered an assault rifle due to the new law and have to register it before 6/2018 (or whatever it is) can I still own and transport it in this configuration before that? Or does it become illegal now since registries has been open and I haven't registered it yet?
You are immune from arrest and prosecution until July 1st 2018. No special transport rules or anything, it's as if it was 2001-2016. All normal rules still apply. You cannot sell your rifle to another in CA as it is, unless you convert to non-AW. You can sell it outside of CA in it's current config, depending on laws in that state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 09-18-2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
You are immune from arrest and prosecution until July 1st 2018. No special transport rules or anything, it's as if it was 2001-2016. All normal rules still apply. You cannot sell your rifle to another in CA as it is, unless you convert to non-AW. You can sell it outside of CA in it's current config, depending on laws in that state.
Thank you for that. I'll likely be moving out of state soon after that date if not at that time so I will leave it as is. Had a trip coming up this weekend. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks so much C&G and others who've contributed to this thread, it's very helpful. Is the consensus to hold off for the time being on registering any AR pistol? Some on CalGuns seem to think a person can register a previously built 80%er with the engraving put on it when built, others say you have to apply for the Kali number and add that, then register? Is it still wait and see? Has anyone registered an 80% pistol yet? Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
Some on CalGuns seem to think a person can register a previously built 80%er with the engraving put on it when built, others say you have to apply for the Kali number and add that, then register? Is it still wait and see? Has anyone registered an 80% pistol yet? Thanks for any thoughts.
What harm would it do to try to register with your existing serial number? They're not going to break down your door and arrest you for doing that. Unless a wasted $19 fee is too much to take a chance on.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Yeah true, my thought was just to try to get through it one time. Still wondering if anyone has successfully registered an 80% ar pistol.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah true, my thought was just to try to get through it one time. Still wondering if anyone has successfully registered an 80% ar pistol.
Lots of people have successfully VOLREG'd their 80% AR and 1 glock pistol. That means it's already in the system with their self assigned and engraved serial number.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM

OK thanks Shao, not trying to be too dense, but does that include 80% ar pistols?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
OK thanks Shao, not trying to be too dense, but does that include 80% ar pistols?
Yes includes pistols. Myself included. I did 3 of them but that was in 2016. I think a few people had success in 2017 too but you'd have to look it up.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanks Shao, much appreciated. I'll stay tuned in case any others chime in.
Old 09-18-2017, 6:27 PM

yes volreg 80% pistols with braces completed in 2017
Old 09-18-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
Possession is certainly legal but since it's now considered an assault weapon I'd assume assault weapon laws apply even if you haven't yet registered it as an assault weapon.

The part that would be most relevant to you being transportation requirements, coming or going to a friend's house to show it to them with minimal divergence along the way would meet the destination requirement ( section (a) if not actually going to or from one of the other listed places.

Unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 31000, a person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this article may possess it only under any of the following conditions:
(a) At that person’s residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner’s express permission.
(b) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(c) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(d) While on the premises of a shooting club that is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(e) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(f) While on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 30510, 30515, 30520, or 30530, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(g) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this section, or to any licensed gun dealer, for servicing or repair pursuant to Section 31050, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Sections 16850 and 25610.
Old 09-19-2017, 3:08 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmen17 View Post
Possession is certainly legal but since it's now considered an assault weapon I'd assume assault weapon laws apply even if you haven't yet registered it as an assault weapon.

The part that would be most relevant to you being transportation requirements, coming or going to a friend's house to show it to them with minimal divergence along the way would meet the destination requirement ( section (a) if not actually going to or from one of the other listed places.

Unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 31000, a person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this article may possess it only under any of the following conditions:
(a) At that person’s residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner’s express permission.
(b) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(c) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(d) While on the premises of a shooting club that is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(e) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project that is about firearms and that is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(f) While on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 30510, 30515, 30520, or 30530, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(g) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this section, or to any licensed gun dealer, for servicing or repair pursuant to Section 31050, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Sections 16850 and 25610.
It's been hashed out many times, it does not apply until July 1st 2018.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
30945 only applies to registered AWs. None of the 2017 AWs have been registered yet, another reason to wait until next year.
Old 09-19-2017, 8:37 PM

I registered more than one rifle on Aug 17th Just received this email today Sept.19th for only one specific rifle.

From: bofcris@doj.ca.gov To:WAVECRAFT@GGG.COM Subject: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice - MY NAME - MY STREET NUMBER - MY STREET - MY CITY CA MY ZIP CODE Gun Make: ADAMS ARMS, LLC Gun Model: AR-10 Gun Caliber: .308 Winchester Serial #: SFM0000000 The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov
Old 09-21-2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
30945 only applies to registered AWs. None of the 2017 AWs have been registered yet, another reason to wait until next year.
Local LEO might not know or care, you might beat the rap but not the ride.
Who knows if a d.a. tries the whole spirit of the law argument if deciding to prosecute, technically I agree but for someone worrying or not prepared to fight in court it's something to consider.
Like the bb can't be removed once registered because it's a different assault rifle, I'm sure it's in their powers to argue for purposes of the law a person that registered an assault weapon is the same thing as a person that legally possess an assault weapon.

Last edited by glockmen17; 09-21-2017 at 1:47 AM..
Old 09-21-2017, 7:43 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I don't stress out about being arrested for things that aren't illegal. If I do that I'll go crazy, because the list is literally endless. If you're really worried about it, print out a copy of the PC and put it in your gun case.

Old 09-21-2017, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Local LEO might not know or care, you might beat the rap but not the ride.
Who knows if a d.a. tries the whole spirit of the law argument if deciding to prosecute, technically I agree but for someone worrying or not prepared to fight in court it's something to consider.
Which can also happen for anything firearms related.
I second C&Gs sentiments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I don't stress out about being arrested for things that aren't illegal. If I do that I'll go crazy, because the list is literally endless. If you're really worried about it, print out a copy of the PC and put it in your gun case.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM

So for people who have guns that are not in the system at all. Either really old guns that are not on the 2001 registry or brought in when moving from out of state before volreg was required for rifles(?). Do they have to volreg before assault-reg since assault-reg is checking for 'date acquired' and that info wouldn't exist at all for a gun that's not in the current system at all.
Old 09-21-2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
So for people who have guns that are not in the system at all. Either really old guns that are not on the 2001 registry or brought in when moving from out of state before volreg was required for rifles(?). Do they have to volreg before assault-reg since assault-reg is checking for 'date acquired' and that info wouldn't exist at all for a gun that's not in the current system at all.
No, if it's not in their system, then they'll put it in the system when you register it as an AW.

A few people have reported that they do check the data you provide against any data CA DOJ already has about the gun (purchase date, etc.), but if they don't have that info (which in your case, they won't), then they have to just accept whatever info you provide to them.

Old 09-21-2017, 4:32 PM

I have a Century Arms RAS-47 AK that has the serial number on the underside of the receiver - an area the CA DOJ doesn't want a picture of. They DEFINITELY want to see the serial number of each weapon registered in these photos otherwise how else are they to know definitively that is the weapon you're registering. That's one of the primary reasons they want to see both sides of the receiver since on one of the sides the serial number is usually stenciled.

Now when giving the full picture of the weapon (from buttstock to tip of flash suppressor) I can use (for example) the right side of the weapon and instead of submitting a separate right side of the receiver photo I can INSTEAD use the underside of the barrel with the serial number as the right-side of the receiver pic. OR do they want me to submit an OPTIONAL EXTRA IMAGES photo to show the serial number?

Do you have any guidance on this?

Last edited by bronco75a; 09-21-2017 at 4:38 PM..
Old 09-21-2017, 5:35 PM

They ask for a picture of the bullet button, do they not? Since on an AK the bullet button is right next to the serial number .... there ya go.
Old 09-21-2017, 6:07 PM

They don't ask for a picture of the underside, but I assure you, they will want one if you don't attach one. The form does let you attach one additional optional photo, I suggest you use it for that, otherwise your application will for sure be delayed.

Old 09-21-2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
They don't ask for a picture of the underside, but I assure you, they will want one if you don't attach one. The form does let you attach one additional optional photo, I suggest you use it for that, otherwise your application will for sure be delayed.
Will do, thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixEstrella View Post
They ask for a picture of the bullet button, do they not? Since on an AK the bullet button is right next to the serial number .... there ya go.
That's a good suggestion but the serial number is a good three inches away from the bullet button and it's so faintly stenciled into the receiver I had to get up real close to get a picture that would allow the serial number to be readable. Guess it would be an option if for some reason they don't accept an optional 5th photo.
Old 09-22-2017, 1:11 AM

I'm not stressing just pointing things out to someone that seems like they would like to cover all bases by doing something easy.
Old 09-22-2017, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Mine will not be registered. It is engraved with all the info required, I did that for indentification, not registration as it's several years old.

A Franklin DFM mag and Cross Armory pin pals made it legal here. Screw California. I'm keeping my $19.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM

FYI, I've updated the OP and the Printer-friendly PDF, to reflect some new info we've learned recently. If you've already downloaded the guide before, I'd recommend replacing it with this new one so you don't miss anything.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 AM

So if I register my guns, and then later get married, if my spouse has access to those AWs, would they still be committing a felony? Does registering them mean I'd forever need to keep my AWs in a separate safe and not even allow my wife access when I'm not there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
So if I register my guns, and then later get married, if my spouse has access to those AWs, would they still be committing a felony? Does registering them mean I'd forever need to keep my AWs in a separate safe and not even allow my wife access when I'm not there?
Ya, your scenario points out some of the ridiculousness of this law - it's a crime for anyone who isn't on the RAW registration to have access to the RAW while you aren't present, including spouses. And you cannot add future spouses to the registration.

I have the same problem, I'm not married currently, nor do I plan to become married before next July. My plan, if/when I get married, is to keep my RAWs locked up separately from my other guns. I'll set her up with some non-RAW home defense options (shotguns/pistols/whatever), so that she wouldn't ever need to access the RAWs while I'm away.

So yes, registration means that you would need to keep your RAWs locked up, with only you having the key/combination, when you are not home. (FWIW, I don't know how anyone could ever prove that your spouse "knows the combination").

I can see it now - a news headline in the future, about a woman raped/murdered in a home invasion because her husband was not legally allowed to give her the key to the only gun in the house. That possibility illustrates how our overlords really don't actually care about anyone when they make these laws. Still, I plan to just not be put into that situation, by having other non-RAW home defense options available for everyone.

Last edited by CandG; 09-22-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Ya, your scenario points out some of the ridiculousness of this law - it's a crime for anyone who isn't on the RAW registration to have access to the RAW while you aren't present, including spouses. And you cannot add future spouses to the registration.

I have the same problem, I'm not married currently, nor do I plan to become married before next July.

So yes, registration means that you would need to keep your RAWs locked up, with only you having the key/combination, when you are not home. (FWIW, I don't know how anyone could ever prove that your spouse "knows the combination")

That just boggles my mind. Now I'm not sure if I want to register. Those requirements now seem more trouble than they're worth....

Well to look on the bright side your spouse can never take those specific guns in the event of a no drama divorce

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
That just boggles my mind. Now I'm not sure if I want to register. Those requirements now seem more trouble than they're worth....

Well to look on the bright side your spouse can never take those specific guns in the event of a no drama divorce

You could always de-register one or more of your RAWs when you get married, and be in the same boat as if you hadn't registered them.

Or, even better, keep them and add some other non-RAWs to your collection.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Or, even better, keep them and add some other non-RAWs to your collection.
Its a good idea to get a few more guns but BETTER it is not. We deal with enough BS that it makes our heads spin.

Last edited by Skip_Dog; 09-22-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 1:27 PM

Long time silent reader - unbelievably first time poster.

First off, thank you to everyone who contributes in taking the time to get information out to the community. I cannot express how helpful these boards have been over the years. So thanks!

Now to my question...When filling out the new BOF form 1008 for a department issued serial number it asks for model, type, caliber, color, and barrel length.

For an 80% lower that was built into a pistol lower years ago, any guidance on what to put? I am assuming model is anything like "HM15", type is "pistol", caliber is "Multi", color is black/FDE, etc. But what about "barrel length"?

Since it is just the lower receiver that needs the serial number should I put "NA" under barrel length?

My plan is to disassemble, get the engraving done, and register it as an AW before the new laws take effect. Ugggg. I could put 9" under barrel length so that everything lines up with the future AW registration but that really seems odd since obviously the receiver does not have a barrel.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Its a good idea to get a few more guns but BETTER it is not. We deal with enough BS that it makes our heads spin.
I just meant better than de-registering. More guns is always the best choice

Old 09-22-2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetank View Post

First off, thank you to everyone who contributes in taking the time to get information out to the community. I cannot express how helpful these boards have been over the years. So thanks!

Now to my question...When filling out the new BOF form 1008 for a department issued serial number it asks for model, type, caliber, color, and barrel length.

For an 80% lower that was built into a pistol lower years ago, any guidance on what to put? I am assuming model is anything like "HM15", type is "pistol", caliber is "Multi", color is black/FDE, etc. But what about "barrel length"?

Since it is just the lower receiver that needs the serial number should I put "NA" under barrel length?

My plan is to disassemble, get the engraving done, and register it as an AW before the new laws take effect. Ugggg. I could put 9" under barrel length so that everything lines up with the future AW registration but that really seems odd since obviously the receiver does not have a barrel.

Thoughts?

As I understand, pistols require a barrel length even though rifle receivers do not. Doesn’t mean it can’t be changed later IMO...
...following.
Old 09-22-2017, 4:00 PM

Interesting, I didn't even realize the BOF 1008 form was available yet. It appears it is (when did that happen?), I've now linked to it in the OP.

Things to note about it:

1) You can ask for 3 serial numbers per form, and you can include additional forms for more serials in the same envelope.

2) It's free - ask for as many as you want.

3) There's no requirement that you actually build a firearm and apply a serial once they've issued you one.

Given that info, I'm just going to request a few dozen right now, just so I have extras to use for the future, without ever needing to complete the serial number application process again.

No clue how long this process takes - it's done by mail, so it could take days, weeks, or months. I'd recommend that anyone who needs serial numbers send in their applications for them ASAP, so you have time to apply them before the AW registration deadline.

Old 09-22-2017, 4:06 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't even realize the BOF 1008 form was available yet. It appears it is (when did that happen?), I've now linked to it in the OP.

Things to note about it:

1) You can ask for 3 serial numbers per form, and you can include additional forms for more serials in the same envelope.

2) It's free - ask for as many as you want.

3) There's no requirement that you actually build a firearm and apply a serial once they've issued you one.

Given that info, I'm just going to request a few dozen right now, just so I have extras to use for the future, without ever needing to complete the serial number application process again.

No clue how long this process takes - it's done by mail, so it could take days, weeks, or months. I'd recommend that anyone who needs serial numbers send in their applications for them ASAP, so you have time to apply them before the AW registration deadline.
I don't get it, the form asks for make, model, caliber, color, etc. How can you apply for a gun that is not already built or apply for a gun that doesn't exist?
Quote:

Old 09-22-2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I don't get it, the form asks for make, model, caliber, color, etc. How can you apply for a gun that is not already built or apply for a gun that doesn't exist?
For Make, it says to use your name. For model, use whatever you want - my favorite is "FU CA-15" or "IH8DOJ-47"

For caliber, color, barrel, etc, write whatever you want - there's nothing illegal about "changing your mind" on those things later.

Old 09-22-2017, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetank View Post

Thoughts?

DOJ?