Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-27-2020, 7:11 PM

Default Obtaining a legal .22 Charger in CA

Hi,

I know there are legal charger owners here in CA and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on how to obtain one legally and make sure that the final build is CA compliant. This isn't an immediate need, so even if the process takes a long time, I'm okay with that. My main goal is the build something like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/NrcFqDjjN6n1Ruz57

10/22 charger reciever/bolt/trigger

Sb tac fs1913A (aluminum)

Enoch Odin chassis

Magpul moe k grip

Whistle pig acculite 6 threaded barrel

Sig Romeo 5

KIDD buffer

El-cheapo rail

BX-25

Edit:

Some more photos and a video: https://imgur.com/a/cU9nigh

Any and all advice is very much a appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:07 PM
retired Goon

Ruger Charger is an off-Roster pistol that is also considered an assault weapon.

In order to be CA legal, it must operate using a fixed 10 or less round magazine that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or that is permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.

In order for a CA FFL dealer to be able to legally transfer a CA legal version of it, an exemption must be utilized (LEO sale, out-of-state intra-familial/operation of law transfer, PPT).

Which means...

Before it gets shipped to a CA FFL dealer, it must be modified so that it has a fixed 10 or less round magazine.
This can be done by affixing the magazine in such a manner that it can not be removed until the receiver is removed from the stock or the magazine needs to be permanently affixed (welded/epoxied/riveted) into the magazine well.

After it is made into a CA legal semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine, it gets to shipped to a CA FFL dealer. Who can then only transfer it via exemption.

So, you need to be a LEO or your out-of-state immediate family member needs to gift it to you or you need to buy one that is already in CA.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-28-2020, 1:36 AM

Don't forget the threaded barrel. No threaded barrel pistols in CA. Either no threads or permanently attached muzzle device.
Old 07-28-2020, 2:17 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinger View Post
Don't forget the threaded barrel. No threaded barrel pistols in CA. Either no threads or permanently attached muzzle device.
Threaded barrel is moot, because in order to be CA legal, it (Ruger Charger) must operate using a fixed magazine and a semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine can legally have a threaded barrel.
^Ruger Charger accepts magazines outside of it's grip, which is a restricted feature on semi-auto pistols that do not have a fixed magazine.

Summary on threaded barrels and handguns in CA:
~ It is CA legal to own/possess an unattached threaded barrel.
~ It is CA legal to own/possess a semi-auto pistol and an unattached threaded barel.
^ However, it is recommended that the threaded barrel is stored/transported seperately from the semi-auto pistol.
~ It is CA illegal to own/possess a semi-auto pistol that does not have a fixed magazine with an attached threaded barrel. [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]
~ It is CA legal to own/possess a semi-auto pistol that has a fixed 10 round magazine with an attached threaded barrel.
~ It is CA legal to own/possess a manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) repeating pistol with an attached threaded barrel.
~ It is CA legal to own/possess a single-shot pistol with an attached threaded barrel.
~ It is CA legal to own/possess a revolver with an attached threaded barrel.

Removing the threads on the threaded barrel or permanently attaching a muzzle device (cap, compensator, etc) have been CA legal methods of making a threaded barrel into a non-threaded barrel.

Also note that, lugs on a barrel that can be utilized to attach a muzzle device is considered a threaded barrel.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-28-2020 at 2:21 AM..
Old 07-28-2020, 2:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

fud from pinger.
Old 07-28-2020, 4:02 AM

Sorry bout that. I am mistaken. I am happy to find out I can have parts. But I can't have it put together in a useful form with a standard semi auto pistol.
Usefulness of a threaded barrel is neutered in CA because you can't have suppressors here. Somebody will probably tell me I can have oil filters or some other auto parts though.
Old 07-28-2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Which means...

Before it gets shipped to a CA FFL dealer, it must be modified so that it has a fixed 10 or less round magazine.
This can be done by affixing the magazine in such a manner that it can not be removed until the receiver is removed from the stock or the magazine needs to be permanently affixed (welded/epoxied/riveted) into the magazine well.

After it is made into a CA legal semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine, it gets to shipped to a CA FFL dealer. Who can then only transfer it via exemption.
Do you know of people out of state that does this sort of thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
So, you need to be a LEO or your out-of-state immediate family member needs to gift it to you or you need to buy one that is already in CA.

So if I know a LEO, they can purchase this and then sell it to me?

Thanks for your thorough response! Very helpful. CA gun laws are complicated.
Old 07-28-2020, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligun818 View Post
Do you know of people out of state that does this sort of thing?

So if I know a LEO, they can purchase this and then sell it to me?

Thanks for your thorough response! Very helpful. CA gun laws are complicated.
straw purchase.JPG

https://oag.ca.gov/search-results/?query=straw+purchase

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 07-29-2020, 7:20 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I've got one. Had it before the current definition of fixed magazine came in to being. Haven't shot it since, as the solution to "have to disassemble action" portion of the keeping-it-from-being-an-AW is more of a pain in the rear than it's worth, and removing the receiver from the stock to disassemble the action to remove the magazine to reload is unpleasant, and kind of defeats the purpose of bedding the whole thing. So in the safe it sits. I oughta sell it, but will probably just keep it in legal annoying configuration until I leave CA.

If I could figure out or find a way similar to AR and AK style stuff to load it and keep it legal, I'd shoot it often.
Old 07-29-2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I've got one. Had it before the current definition of fixed magazine came in to being. Haven't shot it since, as the solution to "have to disassemble action" portion of the keeping-it-from-being-an-AW is more of a pain in the rear than it's worth, and removing the receiver from the stock to disassemble the action to remove the magazine to reload is unpleasant, and kind of defeats the purpose of bedding the whole thing. So in the safe it sits. I oughta sell it, but will probably just keep it in legal annoying configuration until I leave CA.

If I could figure out or find a way similar to AR and AK style stuff to load it and keep it legal, I'd shoot it often.
Well.. If you ever want to sell, let me know! Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 5:45 PM

The real trick will be finding a maglock for a 10/22. I don't know of any that are commercially available. Many years ago I think someone on calguns was selling some. I don't know if they're still around. You may need to have something custom made.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to calguns.

Last edited by oktavist; 07-29-2020 at 5:49 PM..
Old 07-29-2020, 6:06 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

You want this, move out of CA. A CA legal version of this would be nearly useless, it would barely qualify as a range toy. Who wants to take apart their Ruger 10/22 every 10rds

Old 08-01-2020, 6:40 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I have one of those old style mag locks I'd send you for the 20 bucks I paid for it.

It is no longer a way to make them legal, but could be modified or used as a pattern to do so I suppose.