Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-11-2021, 7:18 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Default Liner socks for hiking.

I always said biggest problems in backpacking California Sierras are 1) mosquitoes. 2) blisters. 3) high altitude sun intensity over 7,000 feet. 4) since the no hunting laws: mountain lions.

Liner socks really help 2) I like ultra lightweights. After trying many I stocked up on Fox River Wick Dry Ultralight 93-6-1 poly nylon span. About $7.65 a pair so not dirt cheap. They are too thin for most people, but that's what I want. Fox River has different colors.

https://www.amazon.com/River-CoolMax...dp/B06W2H7ZWL/
Old 05-11-2021, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Change your socks every five miles or so and most any pair will do. I prefer the thicker Thorlos because they’re just comfortable.
Old 05-11-2021, 8:28 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Haven't had a blister on any of my hiking and backpacking trips ever since I started to wear Injinji toe sock liners under my hiking socks.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 05-11-2021, 8:32 PM

Consider compression socks as a liner. Swelling feet and ankles can make that hike more uncomfortable than it needs to be.
Old 05-11-2021, 9:22 PM

I apply a rub-on, stick anti-perspirant on my feet to keep them drier and lubricated. The idea is a sock rubbing on sweat-saturated skin will tear it away from underlying layers of skin, making a blister. I think there's even an anti-bacterial effect, too. Works very well for me.
Old 06-16-2021, 8:44 PM

I use gold toe thin nylon dress socks as liners under my regular wool hikers. Before that I used to tape my heels and toes. Now, no tape needed. My feet could be soaked from hiking in 90deg temps and I still won't get blisters. Bonus is they dry quickly and don't hold odors.
There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

-Walt Whitman
Old 06-18-2021, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Change your socks every five miles or so and most any pair will do. I prefer the thicker Thorlos because they’re just comfortable.
^^^

Listen to the guy who did much more than backpacking.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:37 AM

If you're planning for serious mileage, spray your feet with Arid Extra-Dry on the day of the event and the day before, and shave the hair off your feet and toes. Vaseline between your toes if you are prone to blister there. The longest continuous ruck I've done was 40 miles and that trick works.

Also recommend Salomon Quest 4D boots, change socks every 10-15 miles, and Darn Tough merino socks.

On a related note: Arc'Teryx synthetic, and Icebreaker merino wool skivvies are the best, with an edge to Arc'Teryx because they last much longer.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 06-19-2021 at 12:44 AM..
Old 06-19-2021, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I used to hike a lot of miles. Keeping your socks and feet dry and clean are the most important factors. Sock liners are an added protection against blisters. The toughening of your skin from hiking is another factor that is important.
Old 06-23-2021, 7:50 PM

Another alternative is hiking sandals, been meaning to trying this.
There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

-Walt Whitman
Old 06-23-2021, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
I used to hike a lot of miles. Keeping your socks and feet dry and clean are the most important factors. Sock liners are an added protection against blisters. The toughening of your skin from hiking is another factor that is important.
Foot care is paramount, mission accomplishment....secondary.
Old 06-23-2021, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Wool socks is the way to go.