Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 6:18 AM

Default CCW in San Jose?

Has anyone obtained their CCW in San Jose? What is the current status of CCW's? If so, can anyone recommend an instructor?
Old 04-17-2014, 7:18 AM

http://www.calaverastactical.com/#!services/ca4p
Old 04-17-2014, 7:24 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Currently, all the cities in Santa Clara County are deferring to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office for CCWs.

There are a couple threads ongoing regarding that process.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:45 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I applied for my CCW, and I'm wondering if I should take the course first and then send a copy of my completed certificate to the Sheriff and ask her how things are going with my application.

I like the concept of Calavaras' traveling instructors. I have a place with a friends/family shooting range on my own property, and plenty of room for classroom instruction. If they were certified for Santa Clara County, and there were enough people interested in going in on a class, I'd be happy to host it at my place. Would probably piss off some of my neighbors, but certainly would be less expensive and more fun than having to do one of the formal classroom courses and pay range fees on top of the class cost.
Old 06-26-2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelpark View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I applied for my CCW, and I'm wondering if I should take the course first and then send a copy of my completed certificate to the Sheriff and ask her how things are going with my application.

I like the concept of Calavaras' traveling instructors. I have a place with a friends/family shooting range on my own property, and plenty of room for classroom instruction. If they were certified for Santa Clara County, and there were enough people interested in going in on a class, I'd be happy to host it at my place. Would probably piss off some of my neighbors, but certainly would be less expensive and more fun than having to do one of the formal classroom courses and pay range fees on top of the class cost.
I'm in the early stages of the application process, but I would definitely be interested in going in on a course that wasn't so formal (and expensive). Keep me posted.
Old 06-26-2014, 2:51 PM

I would be interested as well. Thanks for offering to host it!
Old 06-26-2014, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Issuing of CCWs in SCC is (and has been for a long time) suspended. See here for the details: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=santa+clara

And don't waste your time yet on any training taken specifically for SCC CCW; nobody knows who they'll certify. Several of us expect that to be the next f-u they throw at us when they're finally forced to honor Peruta.
Old 06-26-2014, 5:25 PM

It is a bummer that CCW's aren't issued here yet. This used to be a rural agricultural community that was the true "wild west" even when I was growing up. At that time, the only high-tech company around here was Ampex and HP - the rest of the place was fruit orchards (and we called it Orchard Valley instead of Silicon Valley). El Camino Real was the highway going through the place. Oh yeah, I won't even get started about Marine World being down here - and Frontier Village...

Anyhow, it sure has changed. But, there still are pockets of the old world left in the Valley I was fortunate enough to grab one when I had the chance.

Hopefully Sheriff Smith starts looking at people's individual situations, and starts realizing that we're not all going to go CCW-crazy and start having shoot-outs in the center of town if she grants them... I mean, this is an area with one of the highest concentrations of responsible educated people in the country. You'd think that issuing CCWs to qualified and trained people would be a no-brainer. Talk about no-budget-impact reduction in crime...

I predict an immediate reduction in idiot meth heads committing violent crimes against law abiding citizens. Maybe they're stupid and stoned, but there is some piece of their brains that has a sense of self-protection, and it probably says "hmm... this guy may have a new Walther PPQ on him, do I really want to try and rip him off?"

Maybe they'll get so sick of being unable to rip people off that they'll go out and get a friggin' job.

So, there you go - issue CCW's and improve the pool of workers in the Valley. Problem solved for everyone.

Last edited by laurelpark; 06-26-2014 at 5:27 PM..
Old 07-02-2014, 9:06 AM

Meth heads do NOT think rationally, sorry, they're not a good example.

Yes the valley has changed a lot and not for the better in terms of how people are. I miss Frontier Village too.

The only way you are going to get a CCW if you aren't in a line of work where it is likely to be granted here is to have a residence that is not here. That's how I have mine.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM

One of my buddies recreated Frontier Village in his yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPo0yqbULJ0

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
NRA Recruiter
Field Staff Mtn Ops
Combat Iron Apparel ambassador
Old 07-03-2014, 4:18 PM

We used to be called "The Valley of Hearts Delight" not Orchard Valley.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 AM

When growing up, my family called it Orchard Valley - but that was probably because it was easier to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canative View Post
We used to be called "The Valley of Hearts Delight" not Orchard Valley.
Old 07-03-2014, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

These days the vast majority are regardless of their education absolute morons.