Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-17-2011, 7:02 PM

Default 'trim' barrel throat

My 'blueprinted' R700 .308 target rifle still shoots 0.5 MOA groups (with handloads), but it almost closes on a field gauge. When I bought it ten years ago, the previous owner disclosed that the barrel would need work and priced the rifle accordingly. He suggested that it was pretty commonplace to have 0.5"-1" trimmed off each end of the barrel and then have it reinstalled. (The barrel currently is 23".) Any idea what this might cost? Can you recommend someone good in San Diego for this work?
Old 07-17-2011, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Just have your smith set the barrel back to set proper Headspace.
Easy job and inexpensive
Old 07-17-2011, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Just have your smith set the barrel back to set proper Headspace.
Easy job and inexpensive
Huh??
It takes almost as as much, or more, work to set one back to good throat material, than to fit a new blank.
Old 07-17-2011, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

If it does not close on a field gage and you neck size only there should be no problem. In fact even if it closes on a field gage and you neck size ONLY it will still be ok. At least till you need to full length size the cases.
Not uncommon practice in years past to set back barrel a few thou , or a full thread if it has barrel mounted sights, and to recrown the muzzle.
Trimming an inch off comes from weapons that could not be breech cleaned and got muzzle wear.
my ha-penny
Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
If it does not close on a field gage and you neck size only there should be no problem. In fact even if it closes on a field gage and you neck size ONLY it will still be ok. At least till you need to full length size the cases.
Not uncommon practice in years past to set back barrel a few thou , or a full thread if it has barrel mounted sights, and to recrown the muzzle.
Trimming an inch off comes from weapons that could not be breech cleaned and got muzzle wear.
my ha-penny
This is what I'm thinking. If you have the chamber reset, you'll not be able to use your previously reloaded match stuff if it's rifle specific.

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 07-18-2011, 7:47 PM

The guy who sold me the rifle told me it had more than 10K thousand rounds down the barrel, so I guess I was lucky to get 2K more. I called around and 'setting back' a barrel isn't too expensive. (ca. $100)

Last edited by swift; 07-18-2011 at 7:53 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

With 10k down the tube, I would certainly consider a rebarrel - If a short chambered barrel is available the labor cost would be about the same.
Old 07-20-2011, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry fellas, to just "set it back" for $100 is false economy. Especially at the 10K round count.

If you are going to get to good throat material after that many rounds, you will significantly shorten the barrel, and also, the work to do all that is just as involved with set-up as fitting from a blank. Picking up an existing thread is more time consuming that cutting new ones. Cut enough off to cut new ones, and you will be taking a bunch off the barrel. You will most likely end up with a slightly set-back barrel that doesnt shoot any better than before, or a snub-nosed 308 (or whatever caliber you are working with). If your smith is just going to set it back without taking all these things into consideration, well, maybe you should look for another one.
High power shooters used to have them set back a thread or so, after firing a relatively few rounds, to get the finest accuracy during the service life of the barrel. This is relativey simple for the gun plumber. A little off the back and a little off the torque shoulder. Works good on a push-feed Winchester. If he has to add/splice into existing threads(to keep the barrel as long as he can), or re-cut the Remington counterbore, the labor is darn near the same as fitting a new one.
Old 07-21-2011, 7:36 PM

I'm looking at getting a new barrel. Now I'm looking at the other extreme, wondering if I should get Shilen's less expensive SS .308 barrel.

http://www.shilen.com/pricesServices.html

$700 installed...ouch

Do you have more cost-effective suggestions. I'm not a competitive shooter, but I do like accurate rifles. If the price difference between SS and chrome moly is only $100, I'll get the SS.