Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-08-2018, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default Best place to live as an urban dweller

Excluding the obvious - owning and living on isolated land where you are self sufficient, have you thought about the strengths and weaknesses of your current location?

I have lived in the downtown of large towns surrounded by agriculture and the east bay on the flats near the water.

I currently own a home on the western edge of a midsize town. An interstate divides my area from most of the town, I have agricultural land to my south and west and empty woodlands to my north. I am about 40 miles away from the bay.

Thinking about a collapse scenario, I feel much better here than the east bay or the downtown of an agricultural (tourist) town. I can access wells nearby, there are also open orchards and other food stuffs. The primary weakness that I can see is that having an interstate about 500 yards away means it could be come an artery for transient groups...especially as it eventually links with SF. On the other hand it could also become unpassable with abandoned cars as well.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 10-09-2018, 6:24 PM

What are you expecting to happen? Catastrophic earthquake, societal collapse, or flooding after 5 million snowflakes melt when Trump wins the next election?

What have you done to increase the odds of your survival where you are right now?
Old 10-11-2018, 7:58 PM

Near good neighbors.
Old 10-12-2018, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
What are you expecting to happen? Catastrophic earthquake, societal collapse, or flooding after 5 million snowflakes melt when Trump wins the next election?

What have you done to increase the odds of your survival where you are right now?
At the moment I'm only set up for an earthquake level event that lasts 21 days. (limited by water at the moment)

I did post this thread with the more extreme event in mind.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 10-12-2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
At the moment I'm only set up for an earthquake level event that lasts 21 days. (limited by water at the moment)

I did post this thread with the more extreme event in mind.
Sounds like you need to get your water situation sorted out. How deep is will water around there?

Best
caveman
Old 10-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

I would guess that any easy high-pop target is the worst place to live... As urban targets would be the place they set dirty-bombs and ensite violence... Oh but they are already starting...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Underground

Old 11-04-2018, 5:32 PM
Banned

Accept your fate if you live in a city.
Old 11-04-2018, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

At sea.

But not near my lucky fishing spot, get your own.
Old 11-04-2018, 8:06 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. I work in a 20 story building in a suburban area. Most likely everyone would evacuate the building and it would be left secure. If my house was not habitable, it would be an option to come back to. Easy to secure, I know the building and surrounding area well. It can't be burned down easily. Huge 360 degree 30 mile views.

Hardest part would be to have bring up supplies a dozen or more stories of stairs.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanlrrp View Post
Sounds like you need to get your water situation sorted out. How deep is will water around there?

Best
caveman
There are 2 aquifers. One that is shallow and one that is deeper but also has a very deep supply of water.
Old 12-07-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
There are 2 aquifers. One that is shallow and one that is deeper but also has a very deep supply of water.
In this day and age, if you can afford it, go for the deep one.
It will likely be better water and add more value to your property.

Get a big enough generator (240v) for well pump, one that will run on propane (tri fuel). Propane stores forever. Large tanks can be had sometimes cheap in rural arias if you look around for old unused. No biggie to get them revalved. I picked up a 575 for $100.

Well, gen. and large fuel stash and your water situation is sorted as best you can without a year round crick. It's the way I do it.

Best
caveman