Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-21-2020, 7:51 PM

Default Any of you running Linux?

If you are what distro are you on?
Just switched from Windows a few weeks back, for right now I'm on Ubuntu Mate 19.10

Chuck
Old 03-21-2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Hound View Post
Just switched from Windows a few weeks back, for right now I'm on Ubuntu Mate 19.10

Chuck
I do... I run 18.04 since is the most stable out of all the ones I have tried! I have been doing this since Win 7 got the telemetry!

Last edited by usr1987; 03-21-2020 at 8:18 PM..
Old 03-21-2020, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Any of you running Linux?

I’ve used Fedora since before it was (previously Red Hat Linux), and prefer it, but advise it’s not a first Linux user distro as it adopts new changes quickly.

Ubuntu and Mint are great places to start.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 03-21-2020, 9:12 PM

Ubuntu. Usually the latest stable release, sometimes 1 behind if too lazy to upgrade.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Mint. Windows 10 was the last straw. Windows used to be useable, but not anymore. Got a win10 laptop, spent 5 minutes trying to find the control panel (should have taken 5 seconds). Mint downloaded immediately after. Very friendly to use. I just wish i could figure out how to run windows software on it like quickload or ontarget.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:07 PM

For over 20 years. Mostly redhat/fedora and some Debian. I never really got into slackware. I've also used several of the BSDs.

Ubuntus use of zfs is interesting. Zfs has a ton of features most other file systems lack or do poorly. If they can expose the features to end users well it could be a game changer.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 AM

Only on my servers.
Linux GUIs always feel clunky to me. Shell is all I need.
Old 03-22-2020, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm running linux now and have been since ubuntu 10.

No matter what I do I find it totally incompatible with any firearms. Generally speaking.

That's a hint.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 03-22-2020, 6:42 AM

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on my cheap laptop on the kitchen table used for my wife and I to talk about what we see on the internet each meal.

Works pretty good for simple stuff. Do get some errors, though not many. Glad I'm not using windows anymore. Got more errors on this laptop with Windows than with Ubuntu Linux.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I use Linux (CentOS) for my servers. OS X for workstation/laptop.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com
Old 03-22-2020, 8:30 AM

I have a rig running Ubuntu 18.04LTS for fun. Runs great on my budget ASUS/Ryzen-3. Everything else is Win10.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:48 AM

I've used unix of one flavor or another since about '84 (long before linux existed).
I use linux at work (mostly ubuntu AFAIK) but never on my personal machines.
NetBSD for most of the last 25 years, and most recently FreeBSD - which I've used at work for about 20 years.
I've never willingly used Windows, in corporate environments one typically have to use it for calendar but that's about it.

Why not linux you (didn't ask ;-) little things like backwards compat.
My last NetBSD machine could still run binaries that had been compiled 20 years earlier without problem, moving kernel modules from one version to the next is usually trivial, all the BSD projects put a lot of effort into API stability.

Last I read the linux kernel team brag about not doing so, can make for a bumpy ride, if you are not just using apps that came with it.

All that said; if you are just using apps or writing stuff well above the kernel, any linux distro should be fine.

Last edited by randomBytes; 03-22-2020 at 8:54 AM..
Old 03-22-2020, 9:41 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

I have an agnostic setup at home - WinOS, MacOS and ChromeOS for ease and usability; and Ubuntu when I need a few "escalations."

_
Old 03-22-2020, 10:05 AM

I've been running Mint for almost 6 years now from Win7. After my MBR got corrupted & I couldn't find my Win7 DVD to fix it, I downloaded Mint just to get back up & running & have stuck with it ever since.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
For over 20 years. Mostly redhat/fedora and some Debian. I never really got into slackware. I've also used several of the BSDs.

Ubuntus use of zfs is interesting. Zfs has a ton of features most other file systems lack or do poorly. If they can expose the features to end users well it could be a game changer.

I use XFS in my Fedora systems and have tried ZFS and BTRFS also on my own systems and RaiserFS on a work cluster system, all great options. But they really shine in highly volatile and/or large file size environments, and EXT4 is quite good at basic desktop machine support. Although I’m committed to using XFS on my own systems I’ve never used any of the more advanced recovery options, just common backup approaches on multiple disks locally and off-site.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 03-23-2020, 12:17 AM

Been running baby's first Linux (Ubuntu) almost exclusively for a few years. Anything that causes too many headaches I run in a Windows virtual machine (so far, just my flatbed scanner software). I have one small Windows box that I use just for a DJ interface software that doesn't play well with the VM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
I use XFS in my Fedora systems and have tried ZFS and BTRFS also on my own systems and RaiserFS on a work cluster system, all great options. But they really shine in highly volatile and/or large file size environments, and EXT4 is quite good at basic desktop machine support. Although I’m committed to using XFS on my own systems I’ve never used any of the more advanced recovery options, just common backup approaches on multiple disks locally and off-site.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Zfs does snapshots and dump/restore ie zfs send, zfs receive so much better than just about everything I've seen. Setting up snapshots as a cron job allows you revert file changes so easily. I've seen window try this an fail at it for years. With send and receive you can easily do incremental transfers . While it can be particular about numbers if drives it easy to grow by adding more drives it just replacing with bigger drives.
Old 03-24-2020, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I run a few.
Mostly use Parrot, but also run Qubes (not technically linux, but uses linux VMs) and Arch.
Old 03-25-2020, 6:55 PM

Definitely, I love Linux. I primarily run CentOS and Debian, but rarely Ubuntu, depending on the application. I prefer Debian for home desktop and some server stuff, CentOS for most servers. I also manage Red Hat at work so I've gotten pretty used to yum. I also run FreeNAS (FreeBSD) at home in a Supermicro storage server chassis for the native ZFS benefits of long term and redundant storage.

My daily drivers are Windows 10 since it can just do so much more for me than Linux at this point, and that'll be the case until Linux gets substantially more third party support.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 4:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Ubuntu is an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me."

When learning, I actually only had one distro(, at the time) support my wireless card OOTB, and it was Slackware, in like... 2003. I use a Slackware a few times a week, minimum in a VM, and used to run an ssh tunnel home every day from work.

My work used to be an *IX shop.
I don't use Linux as my native OS, but did at work for over a year, and supported like 1800 users via Pear Linux OS, natively, although I did have to use a Windows VM when required.

You can actually run a LOT of Linux utils from Windows via Cygwin.

What I liked most:
Slackware
Pearl OS (have to dig for one that works well)
Knoppix
Pear Linux OS (discontinued)
Slax
Kali
Backtrack
Puppy was included on my OG XBOX when I had it modded, and XBMC is actually what started "Kodi" dev. for all the Fire-stick-streaming enthusiasts a few years back. This seemed to have forced a LOT of the streaming providers to make more avail via stream, it seems.
Slackintosh, for PPC based Macs, to make them usable.

I've fixed Windows issues with Linux distros since... forever!

If you are unaware, Linux is running on ALL Android devices (2019: ~86.6% of the phone market, iPhones: ~13.4%), WebOS, Fire Sticks, and the majority of home routers... hell, even many devices like AM/PM things you stick your card into run Linux. Kronos Time clocks run Linux.
Apple products run a different code-base, based on BSD.

Apple can't take over the world while Linux is free, and can run on just about everything natively.
How many Apple products in the data center? About none.

If work keeps this lock-down up, I'm going to switch back over to Linux as my native OS.

Last edited by the86d; 03-26-2020 at 4:12 AM..
Old 03-26-2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Hound View Post

Chuck
I run Linux Mint-MATE on my Grandkids computers, and use Linux Mint Cinnamon, on one of mine.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

CentOS for servers and whatever I want to play with at the time for anything else. My LinuxCNC machines are running Ubuntu with RT kernels.

Been using it since the late 90s
"A rational mind does not work under compulsion; it does not subordinate its grasp of reality to anyone’s orders, directives, or controls; it does not sacrifice its knowledge, its view of the truth, to anyone’s opinions, threats, wishes, plans, or “welfare.” Such a mind may be hampered by others, it may be silenced, proscribed, imprisoned, or destroyed; it cannot be forced; a gun is not an argument."
Old 03-26-2020, 4:01 PM

I use mostly Arch and Debian.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:07 PM

Previously a big fan of Redhat/CentOS/Fedora and I still think they are great systems though I feel a system based on Ubuntu is easier for a person new to Linux to find help if they need it. I currently use Pop!_OS from System76 based on Ubuntu 19.10.

https://system76.com/pop
Old 03-27-2020, 1:00 PM

Debian 10 "Buster"!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I run Linux Mint-MATE on my Grandkids computers, and use Linux Mint Cinnamon, on one of mine.
running mint mate on an old (2010-ish) 11" intel atom netbook. 2gb ram, 256gb ssd. runs a lot better than windows did. i think i'm still on one of the 17.xx versions, but it's the most windows-like gui compared to similar versions of ubuntu. earlier ubuntu versions were closer, but when i was comparing, more recent versions had gone to the center icons like mac
Old 03-28-2020, 3:47 AM
Calguns Addict

If you need a 1-4 trick pony, multi-core thinclients with added RAM can run Linux well, and they can be picked up pretty cheap when a company upgrades to a new model. Hell many newer ones can boot to SATA.
Old 03-28-2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_nobody View Post
running mint mate on an old (2010-ish) 11" intel atom netbook. 2gb ram, 256gb ssd. runs a lot better than windows did. i think i'm still on one of the 17.xx versions, but it's the most windows-like gui compared to similar versions of ubuntu. earlier ubuntu versions were closer, but when i was comparing, more recent versions had gone to the center icons like mac
I really like Linux Mint. Both MATE, and Cinnamon. The only thing that stops me going to it full time, is that it still has a way to go for graphics applications, and gaming.
Old 03-28-2020, 5:31 AM
Calguns Addict

For n00bz, Nixie Pixel has some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/nixiedoeslinux/videos
Old 03-28-2020, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I watched a few of her videos. The are mostly correct on the surface where they go off the rails is the deeper level.
For example she explains the bash prompt and said it's always has your username. Well she got it half correct. Yes that is the user name. But it's there because there is a prompt variable "PS1" that has \u in it. Which is replaced with the user name of the process owner .

I'd say it's good enough to get you started but it's a quality of ,"this is what I figured out" not ","I'm an expert with decades of experience".
Old 03-28-2020, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Nixie Pixel is a little cutie.