Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 82 8.46%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 653 67.39%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.17%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.64%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.37%
Don't want anything to do with them! 145 14.96%
Voters: 969. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2020, 8:31 AM

Hope every on the West coast is doing OK. Scary times for all.
Old 03-20-2020, 4:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Hope every on the West coast is doing OK. Scary times for all.
How is Florida affected?
Old 03-20-2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
Vinnie B, you will find that nobody that has been there really complains about the course, the instructors or the range. People, complain about the marketing, the constant offers to upgrade and the promise of building the resort. Personally, I have never had a bad class there and I have taken quite a few. I have never met a bad instructor or been in a class with bad students.
I agree with all of this. Before I went I swore it was some sort of scam or bait and switch based on the marketing, etc. If they changed the look of the website and made some marketing changes so all of that was in line with how good the classes actually are maybe they wouldn't get the flack they get from some people. I really do think it's a great place and cannot wait to go back.
Old 03-21-2020, 3:00 AM

Yep VB, I felt the same way at first. Then I made my first trip out and was really surprised. Got a Diamond membership for cheap $$$. Worth every penny so far and look forward for my 2 trips a year.

DMR6000, We are OK here. Not as bad as the West Coast or NY. Grocery shopping OK with some items its a hit and miss type thing (as of last week). Gas went under $2.00 bucks. Wife and I are just staying home (retired) would be different if we had to work. We will get thru this but may take some time. Sure has been an eye opener for the USA.

Be safe all and wash your hands!
Old 03-21-2020, 6:10 AM

Although this isn't completely about Front Sight, it was part of my experience while I was out there earlier this week.

I live in the East Bay, in Alameda county. Came out here just about 5 years ago. I know I'll get flack for this but I used to be pretty liberal and over the last couple years have slowly been reassessing and changing my opinions on a lot of political and social issues, and after becoming a gun owner a little while ago it made me look at a lot of issues from a different perspective.

Currently, many of my political views and stances don't go along with the status quo here in my neck of the woods, and on some issues I lean to the left, other issues I lean to the right. Whenever I do get into a conversation with many from my area about these things it tends to turn into an ugly, disrespectful name-calling exchange (on their end, not mine) where the other person tends to quickly become irrational and start attacking verbally, basically losing all respect for themselves and rendering any further progress of said conversation impossible. I actually enjoy talking to people with a different point of view because I think to myself, "Maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe they know something I don't and I'll see things from a different perspective that will equip me to have a more informed opinion on the issue, and I Amy even change my mind.)

At Front Sight during down town you strike up conversations, people strike up conversations with you, you get to know the people that are in your group, while you're in the lecture hall, in the parking lot, etc. I was a bit nervous to tell people where I lived. I was definitely out of my element (but it was pretty funny when a few instructors and some of the people in my class thought I was ex-military), but as the days went on I found that although I tend to hold similar views on a lot of the issues that are hot topics currently, I still may disagree on certain things. The response there was so much different than what Iv'e experienced in the Bay Area. At Font Sight people were so much more civil, so much more respectful, and instead of jumping down your throat and starting to insult you and attack the conversations always remained civil. I would say my part, stop and listen while they said your part and you could see that the other person was actually listening to what I had to say, and vice versa. We may not be in 100% agreement with each other, but I was taking in and digesting what they were saying to me and trying to see it from their perspective and understand why they believed the way they did, and I felt like they were doing the same. And after the conversations we still were able to not only coexist together in class, we still remained friendly, joking with each other, helping each other out, and heck, I even had another person in class give me their business card and told me to stay in touch. It was so refreshing to be able to be around people who had manners and respect for each other, even if we always didn't agree 100% on the topic we were discussing.

This is definitely not the case for the Bay Area, where if you deviate even the slightest from what the mob believes to be the only way, they'll go out of their way to attack you.
Old 03-21-2020, 7:10 AM

Nice read VB and to see you are open minded. I changed my views about 30+ years ago when I was 40. I just don't get the other side and feel its always a oneway street. At my age life is not a dress rehearsal its one time thru - you have to make the best of it and enjoy every day.
Old 03-21-2020, 7:50 AM

Well stated V.B, glad you had nice experience.

I was down there Mar 9-12 for four day practical rifle. My class seemed more diverse than previous classes I've taken. Everything from jeans and tennis shoes to full kit with chest rigs. Food poisoning on the afternoon of day three took me out of the class but a good time was still had. Range 48 is way-the-hell out there but it was nice to use a new to me part of the facility. The Pro shop now only takes 70% Iggy Bucks and the rest is out of pocket. Still no food truck onsite, bring a lunch of your own or buy their box lunch. Saddle West has a better box lunch than the Front Sight vendors lunch. Still no simulator for rifle.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 9:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Although this isn't completely about Front Sight, it was part of my experience while I was out there earlier this week.

I live in the East Bay, in Alameda county. Came out here just about 5 years ago. I know I'll get flack for this but I used to be pretty liberal and over the last couple years have slowly been reassessing and changing my opinions on a lot of political and social issues, and after becoming a gun owner a little while ago it made me look at a lot of issues from a different perspective.

Currently, many of my political views and stances don't go along with the status quo here in my neck of the woods, and on some issues I lean to the left, other issues I lean to the right. Whenever I do get into a conversation with many from my area about these things it tends to turn into an ugly, disrespectful name-calling exchange (on their end, not mine) where the other person tends to quickly become irrational and start attacking verbally, basically losing all respect for themselves and rendering any further progress of said conversation impossible. I actually enjoy talking to people with a different point of view because I think to myself, "Maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe they know something I don't and I'll see things from a different perspective that will equip me to have a more informed opinion on the issue, and I Amy even change my mind.)

At Front Sight during down town you strike up conversations, people strike up conversations with you, you get to know the people that are in your group, while you're in the lecture hall, in the parking lot, etc. I was a bit nervous to tell people where I lived. I was definitely out of my element (but it was pretty funny when a few instructors and some of the people in my class thought I was ex-military), but as the days went on I found that although I tend to hold similar views on a lot of the issues that are hot topics currently, I still may disagree on certain things. The response there was so much different than what Iv'e experienced in the Bay Area. At Font Sight people were so much more civil, so much more respectful, and instead of jumping down your throat and starting to insult you and attack the conversations always remained civil. I would say my part, stop and listen while they said your part and you could see that the other person was actually listening to what I had to say, and vice versa. We may not be in 100% agreement with each other, but I was taking in and digesting what they were saying to me and trying to see it from their perspective and understand why they believed the way they did, and I felt like they were doing the same. And after the conversations we still were able to not only coexist together in class, we still remained friendly, joking with each other, helping each other out, and heck, I even had another person in class give me their business card and told me to stay in touch. It was so refreshing to be able to be around people who had manners and respect for each other, even if we always didn't agree 100% on the topic we were discussing.

This is definitely not the case for the Bay Area, where if you deviate even the slightest from what the mob believes to be the only way, they'll go out of their way to attack you.
Looks like you are open-minded, observant and a critical thinker.

Your experience at FS mirrors mine. Yes, we get some friendly ribbing as Californians, but many people there are pretty like-minded. I think there are certain personality types that end up being serious gun owners and you get a ton of them together at FS.
Old 03-21-2020, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
Looks like you are open-minded, observant and a critical thinker.

Your experience at FS mirrors mine. Yes, we get some friendly ribbing as Californians, but many people there are pretty like-minded. I think there are certain personality types that end up being serious gun owners and you get a ton of them together at FS.
I'm also not originally from the Bay Area and have lived in quite a few different parts of the country. I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, lived and worked in NYC, lived in Florida, spent 5 years in Southern California and a little over a decade in Colorado (mostly in Denver, a couple years in Boulder). I say that to give a little background and perspective before my next statement...I have never lived in a more racist, close-minded and intolerant part of the country as the Bay Area. It's a real shame.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 03-21-2020 at 1:05 PM..
Old 03-21-2020, 10:31 AM

VB, being an X-NY'er myself could tell us how you really feel? Love your honesty and made my day Sir - Thank you! Jerry from Da Bronx.
Old 03-21-2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
Yes, we get some friendly ribbing as Californians,.
I usually just get ribbed for packing a dozen 10 round mags to the line. Jeans and t-shirt + war belt from under the bed. Train like you carry :-)
Old 03-21-2020, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brptrailrider View Post
I usually just get ribbed for packing a dozen 10 round mags to the line. Jeans and t-shirt + war belt from under the bed. Train like you carry :-)
Pajamas, slippers and a few mags stuck in my bathrobe. Cuz Contra Costa County sucks at CCW issuance.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-25-2020, 2:08 PM

Default Front Sight Members Check In Here!

All taken care of. Thanks

Last edited by sapro; 03-26-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 10:32 AM

sapro; I'm sure someone here can help you with that. if you haven't heard back I can send you a Diamond but I'm sure others here have higher memberships.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:34 AM

Forgot to mention: I was at FS a few weeks back (actually the last of the 4 days to be completed before the shutdown) and wandered into the ProShop which I rarely ever do.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a decent amount of inventory in addition to new jackets that Front Sight is now making.
Yes, they're a little pricey but they're warm, have a ton of zippers, and are water proof!
Seems like Front Sight found someone to make the jackets for them and in talking with the staff, this should help them actually begin turning a profit in the pro shop which will help them stay stocked up and providing gear.
check them out next time you're in there.
Old 03-27-2020, 5:40 AM

Sounds like good news Jedi54. Looking forward to getting back out there in September - I hope?
Old 03-27-2020, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Forgot to mention: I was at FS a few weeks back (actually the last of the 4 days to be completed before the shutdown) and wandered into the ProShop which I rarely ever do.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a decent amount of inventory in addition to new jackets that Front Sight is now making.
Yes, they're a little pricey but they're warm, have a ton of zippers, and are water proof!
Seems like Front Sight found someone to make the jackets for them and in talking with the staff, this should help them actually begin turning a profit in the pro shop which will help them stay stocked up and providing gear.
Jedi, for sale with credits or with american money?
Old 03-27-2020, 6:50 AM

What the heck are Front Sight Credits and how does one get credits? I've only been out there once and recently purchased a Commander membership from a fellow CG'er.
Old 03-27-2020, 8:09 AM

Northbay,
Think it's now a combo of credits / money. I think that's the change they made recently where you can use up to x percentage of the price in credits and then the rest normal money.

Vinnie, people receive credits through doing upgraded to their memberships.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 AM

I've been on the fence for years about a FS membership. I just received an email offering me a Legacy Lifetime membership for $250.

Can anyone chime in on if it's worth it or is there a better option for membership?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What the heck are Front Sight Credits and how does one get credits? I've only been out there once and recently purchased a Commander membership from a fellow CG'er.
Think of it as your Front Sight bank account. Dr. Iggy has all kinds of promotions that can drop credits into your account.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
Think of it as your Front Sight bank account. Dr. Iggy has all kinds of promotions that can drop credits into your account.
I'm guessing I'm not privy to those promotions because I unsubscribed from the email list because it was getting to be a bit much.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:29 PM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

I bought one of the new fleece jackets and my wife promptly stole it. The next day I bought another and my daughter promptly stole it. Yeah, I bought a third one and kept this one in my truck lest my dog steal it. They like their jackets oversized so I guess it works out.

The jackets are very nice quality and super warm. I think I paid around $45 each cash and the rest in credits.
Old 03-27-2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Northbay,
Think it's now a combo of credits / money. I think that's the change they made recently where you can use up to x percentage of the price in credits and then the rest normal money.

Vinnie, people receive credits through doing upgraded to their memberships.
Thanks for the update Jedi. I have not been in the pro shop since they got rid of almost everything and limited purchases on what was left.
Old 03-27-2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Vinnie, if you buy anything from the good doctor you will get what you spend in matching credits. Most of us are multi-millionaires in credits. For awhile when the pro shop was empty the only thing you could spend them on was background checks and fun shoot magazines. There is a sometime running joke, when Dr. P offers to train the congress or teachers or something, someone here also chimes in saying they have enough memberships or training certs to do the same.
Old 03-27-2020, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm guessing I'm not privy to those promotions because I unsubscribed from the email list because it was getting to be a bit much.
Yes, he has a very busy internet marketing group! Iggy also makes recorded robo calls. If you stay on the mailing list you will get some other stuff to like Brad showing a video of someone using their handgun to deal with bad guys and then discusses the wrongs and rights of the clip. The marketing e-mails far outweigh the informative ones. He does offer some good deals from time to time. so it's one of those YMMV.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 03-27-2020, 7:09 PM

Got an email about a $1 at home course and 100 credits. Is this a good deal?
Old 03-27-2020, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw90 View Post
Got an email about a $1 at home course and 100 credits. Is this a good deal?
Really? How could you go wrong? It's a dollar. Yes, you get access to an hour long video, which you may or may not like. But the 100 credits will pay for two years of background checks. I would say that Background checks for $0.50 each is a pretty good deal...

k
Old 03-28-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Really? How could you go wrong? It's a dollar. Yes, you get access to an hour long video, which you may or may not like. But the 100 credits will pay for two years of background checks. I would say that Background checks for $0.50 each is a pretty good deal...

k
Agreed.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek8s View Post
I've been on the fence for years about a FS membership. I just received an email offering me a Legacy Lifetime membership for $250.

Can anyone chime in on if it's worth it or is there a better option for membership?
That offer worthwhile? No, because you are limited as to what classes you can take. Better options? Well I'm sure by now someone on here has offered to sell you a much better membership. If not, PM me.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
yup, its pretty nice.

however, I promptly took a magic marker to the Front Sight logo. its now a subdued grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanin View Post
I bought one of the new fleece jackets and my wife promptly stole it. The next day I bought another and my daughter promptly stole it. Yeah, I bought a third one and kept this one in my truck lest my dog steal it. They like their jackets oversized so I guess it works out.

The jackets are very nice quality and super warm. I think I paid around $45 each cash and the rest in credits.
the jackets definitely run small. I normally wear an XL and had to go up to a 3XL to get a decent fit.

yah, it was around $40 or so in cash + credits.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-28-2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Although I only got through 2.5 days of the 4-day handgun course because of the governor shutting down all "non-essential businesses" today at noon, I have to say this was an incredible experience.

I am very new to owning firearms, and only bought my first one 4 weeks ago, only been to the range 3 times since purchase, and a 2 hour block with a firearms instructor. I've read all the people who want to hate on Front Sight and feel like it's a waste of time, etc. Maybe I don't know enough to know, but I think it's an incredible place and far exceeded any expectations I had or what I thought it would be like.

Safety there is paramount, and you often check and recheck your firearm, and you do this countless times every day, before, after and during every drill. Some say this class is just for beginners, but there were all different types of people there from all different experience levels including a marine (guy was an amazing shot) and another gentleman who had been through 67 classes at FS, several couples who had been to a few classes previously, a few families, small groups of friends, etc. I never once heard anyone say that the curriculum and what we were learning wasn't practical or useful, and the people who had been there before said they learn something new every time and reinforce things they learned before. Everyone, and I mean everyone in the class I was in seemed to be having a great time. Everyone was taking the class seriously, but everyone also had a smile on their face, even when it was cold and rainy the second morning.

I attribute the fact that everyone was smiling to the instructors we had. These guys were top-notch and this was what impressed me the most. These guys were extremely professional, personable and helpful. We had a total of 4, sometimes 5 instructors, for our class of 32. Being new I was very appreciative of them correcting technique, giving advice, etc., and it was always done in a non-judgmental, friendly manner. These guys weren't just standing around, they seemed to be very attentive and eager to help and reinforce technique, and they all seemed to really enjoy what they did.

I'd say if your someone who's just looking to dismiss the place and have a bad attitude, you probably wouldn't have fun there (and you probably wouldn't have fun anywhere). If you're and experienced shooter (or THINK you're an experienced shooter) there are plenty of other places that seem to cater to that type of person. If you're a humble beginner, or humble and experienced I think you'll find a lot of value in this class, regardless of skill level.

Please take my experience with a grain of salt, as I stated earlier, I'm brand new to owning firearms, and for me this seemed like the best thing I could have done. I'll definitely be going back though during my next week off from work, that's for sure.
Dig your post. I was at Front Sight for the two day handgun course the week of 3/08. My friends that I rode down with took the four day class. So I was in Pahrump for the week, only to drive back to CA on Friday and told not to come into the office on Monday. Glad you had a good experience and I agree with everything you said.
Old 03-29-2020, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
yup, its pretty nice.

however, I promptly took a magic marker to the Front Sight logo. its now a subdued grey.

the jackets definitely run small. I normally wear an XL and had to go up to a 3XL to get a decent fit.

yah, it was around $40 or so in cash + credits.
Hey ke6guj or Pandanin,
How many FS credits + $40-45 does the jacket cost?

Any pics of the jacket?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 03-29-2020, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek8s View Post

Try to find a Commander Membership for sale. That membership allows you access to every class FS offers. Only caveat is you have to qualify as a "Distinguished Graduate" in the basic classes before you can take the advanced classes.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 AM

Breaking News from the NRA a few minutes ago:

DHS includes gun industry in 'critical infrastructure' advisory list during coronavirus crisis (Washington Examiner)
Feds Add Gun Companies to ‘Essential’ Business List Amid Coronavirus Outbreak (Washington Free Beacon)
NSSF Thanks Trump Administration for Firearms Industry Critical Infrastructure Designation (The Truth About Guns)
DHS Adds Workers for Gunmakers, Gun Retailers, and Shooting Ranges to "Essential Critical Infrastructure" List (Reason)
Old 03-29-2020, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Good. I hope this gets FS back up and running soon but they still have to have their Governor lift his orders. I would venture to say they will still be closed till 4/17.
Old 03-29-2020, 2:06 PM

I have an unused certificate for FS classes. I hope to be able to still use it after this blows over.
Old 03-30-2020, 8:38 AM

PM Sent
Old 03-30-2020, 8:44 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Hey ke6guj or Pandanin,
How many FS credits + $40-45 does the jacket cost?

Any pics of the jacket?

I have so many FS credits I don't keep track anymore when I use them.

I think it was about $40 cash, I honestly can't remember.

I'll get pics of the jacket later today if nobody beats me to it.
Old 03-30-2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manager View Post
Well stated V.B, glad you had nice experience.

I was down there Mar 9-12 for four day practical rifle. My class seemed more diverse than previous classes I've taken. Everything from jeans and tennis shoes to full kit with chest rigs. Food poisoning on the afternoon of day three took me out of the class but a good time was still had. Range 48 is way-the-hell out there but it was nice to use a new to me part of the facility. The Pro shop now only takes 70% Iggy Bucks and the rest is out of pocket. Still no food truck onsite, bring a lunch of your own or buy their box lunch. Saddle West has a better box lunch than the Front Sight vendors lunch. Still no simulator for rifle.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I was there too on range 48, but in the class following yours.

3/9-3/12 4DDHG
3/13-3/16 4DPR

You're right, 48 is way the heck out there. It was my first time on that range. I think I was in the last full 4-day before they shut things down. Sorry to hear about your food poisoning. Was it from the on-site lunches provided by Mom's Diner? Good to hear you still enjoyed yourself regardless.

My first rifle and FS course ever was back in 2013 and they had an awesome canyon walk in lieu of a simulator bay. I really do hope they bring that back.