Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-23-2020, 4:33 PM

Default something just not clicking in my brain

Not sure why having a hard time understanding. I've searched and have asked my DOJ rep. who gives some round about answers to parts of my question without actually answering my direct question.
I have already told both DOJ and ATF reps. that I lost everything in Camp fire, so I will be buying some guns for personal use. Both seem fine give'n the circumstances. I'm a new ffl 01, sole proprietor, home based, with a day job.
So for the following, for personal use, used handgun, on roster, from private individual, in Ca.

so for a ppt its face to face, thumbprint of buyer and seller, signatures of both.

how does it work when a private individual sends(mails) a firearm to ffl for sale with thumbprint and signatures? back and forth papper work?

How would I acquire a gun 2 hrs. away from me? do i need to do a ppt through a ffl there? thats what DOJ says, but if I go pick it up I'm acting like my own mail courier. Still need thumbprint/signature on DROS?

in either instance how would it go in DES? ppt? dealer sale? acquisition then DROSed to self?

basically is there a way to buy/get a firearm without seller coming to my residence because of travel distance, but I would be willing to pick up?

maybe it just don't work like I think it should, or I'm missing something. Maybe it needs to be explained in crayon like I'm 4. Its just not clicking.

If two of these show up my apologies, typed one (a little longer this is more condensed, hopefully gives same questions worded the way my brain is thinking) and then lost it some how.

would anything change if off roster?, I assume no acquisition first.

If you read this thanks, have a great weekend.

Last edited by 0321 U.S.M.C; 05-23-2020 at 4:39 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 6:01 PM

Default something just not clicking in my brain

You donít need the sellerís fingerprint, but a copy of their drivers license is a good idea. If it is on roster, then have the seller take it to a local FFL to ship it to you as an FFL to FFL transfer. That FFL will need to apply for the centralized list approval letter. When you get it, log it in then DROS it to yourself. Wonít work for off roster.

PPT is supposed to be done in person with both parties present at the same time. Although I have seen an FFL allow the buyer and seller to come in at different times to sign as long as they had the info to submit the DROS.

If the DOJ ever showed up in the middle, the FFL would be in deep doo-doo.

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!

Last edited by ronlglock; 05-23-2020 at 6:07 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 3:40 AM

Thanks for the reply,I understand CFLC, and receiving from another ffl, let’s take other ffl out of it for this one.
I know a bad example, but I’m walking down the road, I see a handgun just laying there, it’s on roster, can I take home and just DROS to self? does Ca. care where I got such gun? I know A&D book different story, but I’m just talking DOJ for this.
I’m picturing an example would work like this: I’m visiting a friend 2 hrs. away, I want to buy his on roster handgun, I give him cash, take pic of his ID. When I get home enter his info in A&D, DROS to self. Now does DOJ care how and from whom I acquired this? How do I satisfy that aspect of it?
and maybe that’s where I confused my rep. I kept saying ppt to self and she would not correct me, or explain other options other than it’s complicated.

Last edited by 0321 U.S.M.C; 05-24-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Old 05-24-2020, 11:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
You donít need the sellerís fingerprint, but a copy of their drivers license is a good idea. If it is on roster, then have the seller take it to a local FFL to ship it to you as an FFL to FFL transfer. That FFL will need to apply for the centralized list approval letter. When you get it, log it in then DROS it to yourself. Wonít work for off roster.

PPT is supposed to be done in person with both parties present at the same time. Although I have seen an FFL allow the buyer and seller to come in at different times to sign as long as they had the info to submit the DROS.

If the DOJ ever showed up in the middle, the FFL would be in deep doo-doo.
No. A PPT can easily be done without both parties being present. You use a DROS worksheet. Just like a consignment (which by law is a PPT with dealer assist and subject to tax)
Old 05-24-2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
No. A PPT can easily be done without both parties being present. You use a DROS worksheet. Just like a consignment (which by law is a PPT with dealer assist and subject to tax)

Hmmm... doesnít the sellerís signature need to be on the printed DROS, Can an FFL02 do this?

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!