Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2019, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default PO Box on your Driver's License

I have jumped through hoops buying firearms as I have a PO Box on my Driver's License.

Go to the DMV for a certified printout.

My physical address goes onto DROS.

What happens now when I want to buy ammo? Am I OK as I have DROSED at my physical address or do I need to pay $19 for a background check as my CDL has the PO Box?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-26-2019, 2:24 PM

According to the flow chart your CDL address must match the AFS address. No ammo for you. My buddy is in the same situation. Maybe a third form of address verification will work, like car registration.

Old 06-26-2019, 2:35 PM

Angry Good Question I am in the same Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I have jumped through hoops buying firearms as I have a PO Box on my Driver's License.

What happens now when I want to buy ammo? Am I OK as I have DROSED at my physical address or do I need to pay $19 for a background check as my CDL has the PO Box?
I recently DROS'd a firearm with my PO Box listed on my DL as my mailing address plus my Physical address was listed but I am not sure how the dealer entered it into the system.
The kicker for me is I can not get a physical mail box because I live to close to my local post office so they issue me a free PO Box for mail delivery. I live in a very rural area and this is common here.
I watched the CRPA webcast on AMMO purchases after July 1 2019 and they indicated your address must match exactly or you will be denied and to find out what is listed In the AFS system takes a month or two to get and must be requested in writing and motorized.
I think I will go to my local Gun shop and test it out soon just in case. If I get denied I feel like sticking my finger in the air and just going purchasing my ammo on my frequent trips to Reno. Sucks Big Time.
Old 06-26-2019, 2:37 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My buddy is in the same situation. Maybe a third form of address verification will work, like car registration.
I am in the same situation. My vehicle registration has both my PO Box and residence address.

When I go to buy ammo after 07/01, I'll have both with me and see if it flies.
-P
Old 06-26-2019, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I emailed the DOJ as this is not on their FAQ

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-26-2019, 6:48 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

MY California DL has had my PO Box as the listed address for over 34 years now.

I do have a California CCW License issued by the HCSO for over 20+ years that has my street address listed. So I have never had an issue with DROS or such in the past when buying firearms. I just DROSed a shotgun just before Memorial Day 2019 by using those documents with no issues.

I may have to go buy some additional ammunition next week/ after July1st at my local Gun Shop, even if I am almost out of room to store some more ammo securely for long term storage. So I guess that I should go shooting on the backside of the property soon afterwards in order to solve that issue!
Old 06-26-2019, 8:45 PM

When I DROS with my PO box DL, I take 2 utility bills, less than 90 days old. That seems to establish that the the PO box is tied to me, with my name on the bills and license, and shows my physical address. Never had a problem.
Old 06-26-2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomegalodon View Post
According to the flow chart your CDL address must match the AFS address. No ammo for you. My buddy is in the same situation. Maybe a third form of address verification will work, like car registration.
Time will tell. I have used car registration to confirm physical address for firearms purchases, so it would seem that car registration should work for ammunition purchases. Worst case, I purchase another loading press for rifle and pistol cartridges (I already have one for shotgun shells).
Old 06-27-2019, 7:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is discrimination against tiny people. Some can live in a PO box.
Old 07-02-2019, 4:56 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
MY California DL has had my PO Box as the listed address for over 34 years now.

I do have a California CCW License issued by the HCSO for over 20+ years that has my street address listed. So I have never had an issue with DROS or such in the past when buying firearms. I just DROSed a shotgun just before Memorial Day 2019 by using those documents with no issues.

I may have to go buy some additional ammunition next week/ after July1st at my local Gun Shop, even if I am almost out of room to store some more ammo securely for long term storage. So I guess that I should go shooting on the backside of the property soon afterwards in order to solve that issue!
Did you try this? I am in the same boat as you.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Box OK just overide it to Physical address

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

Today I went to my local FFL Dealer and used my new Real ID Drivers License which has my PO Box on it because I live were we do not have mailboxes.
I told the dealer I needed to find our if this was going to fly and he said no problem he would just override the address information and put in my actual physical address that I had recently used to DROS a new firearm in the past month.
After correcting my address it took maybe 60 seconds to get an instant approval. So if your worried about not having your physical address on your DL it is as simple as putting your proper info and your good.
The Dealer did say that some ammo retailers like Walmart might not be so easy to deal with since they might balk at overriding what is scanned in from your DL for fear they are breaking the rules but DOJ specifically told him this was OK as long as you have proof of address via acceptable documentation like your car registration or a utility bill as a back up.
Old 07-06-2019, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
Today I went to my local FFL Dealer and used my new Real ID Drivers License which has my PO Box on it because I live were we do not have mailboxes.
I told the dealer I needed to find our if this was going to fly and he said no problem he would just override the address information and put in my actual physical address that I had recently used to DROS a new firearm in the past month.
After correcting my address it took maybe 60 seconds to get an instant approval. So if your worried about not having your physical address on your DL it is as simple as putting your proper info and your good.
The Dealer did say that some ammo retailers like Walmart might not be so easy to deal with since they might balk at overriding what is scanned in from your DL for fear they are breaking the rules but DOJ specifically told him this was OK as long as you have proof of address via acceptable documentation like your car registration or a utility bill as a back up.
It's not explicitly states in the DOJ regs to my knowledge, but we've been taking photo copies of secondary documents such as vehicle registration, PGE bill, etc. just like we would with a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 07-06-2019, 4:05 PM

Well shoot, jump through all the RealID hoops, and may still need some other proof that I am here legally to purchase ammunition. At least I do feel safer knowing that illegals and out-of-staters can't buy ammunition for their evil weapons of war.
Old 07-06-2019, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I’m guessing that the DOJ will not reply to my email or just refer me to the faq

(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 07-06-2019, 8:01 PM
CGN Contributor

I was at Ammo Bros in Ontario today doing a PPT. During the transaction I asked the employee about buying ammo because USPS does not deliver on my road which causes me to have a P.O. box listed on my license. I also have a Real I.D. along with a CCW and many recent firearm transactions.He told me I could not purchase ammo because my residence is not on the license. I probably should have tried just to see if it could be done but he was pretty adamant about not even trying .
Old 07-06-2019, 8:09 PM
Banned

Go to DMV. For $5.00 fee they will put any address you want on the D/L. I changed mine to get a gun. By the way, a P.O. Box is no problem. I have one on my D/L and had one to get the gun. It is the secondary address, the physical address which has to be consistent with the P.O. Box.
Old 07-06-2019, 8:23 PM

I have my last address on my Class A Real ID.

I want to have the address updated on my license but because it is a "Real ID" they require you turn it in before they will process to send you your new one unlike a regular license where they just ask you to destroy your old one when the new one comes.

Pain in the butt and I do not like being without my license for how ever long it takes them to send me a new one, they will give you a temp paper license but eh.

The first time this became an issue was when I was going to upgrade my license to get my Hazmat Endorsement on my Commercial license. I went to the dmv to take the written for hazmat first before going to the local TSA office to do my background check, It costs a bit and did not want to spend the money if I ended up failing the written, not that I thought I would, but thought it would be a better order to do it. So I went to the DMV, took the written and passed. The guy at the counter told me I just need to go to the TSA office (Not actual TSA but they do the checks for them) and do the background check where that office would pass the info on to DMV to get my new License processed. But before I could leave the counter they told me I now have to surrender my Real ID license right now. I asked if I could just destroy it or turn it in when I get the new one, they said no because it is a Real ID and I can not have 2. I guess I might share it with someone. You cant even have a real ID License and a real ID ID card. Anyway, I said ok, if that is the rule, so I handed it over to him and drove over to the TSA background check people and was told, Sorry dude, we can not do your background check without an acceptable Picture ID, You know, the one the DMV made me hand over when they knew I was headed over to do my Background check. So I went back to the DMV to see if they would let me have it back for the background check but was told. 1. No they would not give it back and 2. It has already been destroyed.

So now I had to pay for and get a California ID card from the DMV, paperwork, picture etc. Then had to wait for it to come in the mail maybe 10 days later, then make a new appointment for background etc. Then wait for ever for my Drivers license. If I knew I had to hand over the license I would have done background first.

I do have a current CCW with my current addy on it so maybe that will be good enough?

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-06-2019 at 8:34 PM..
Old 07-06-2019, 9:29 PM

DMV will put both PO Box and physical street address on license...

Had mine that way over 20 years, renewed 2 years ago at DMV
Old 07-08-2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
Did you try this? I am in the same boat as you.
I just made it to Sportsman's Warehouse in Eureka today (July 8th) and bought some ammunition. I presented my Ca DL with a PO Box, along with my Ca CCW License which has my street address.

They did a Ca DOJ check first which took less than a minute for me to be approved. Then the sales person went with me to get a 25 round box of #2 steel shot 3 inch 12 gauge shells, and 2 boxes of 9mm 115 grain JHP. They did not have any 'lead free' hunting ammo in 7.62X54mmR, or any type 7.62X25mm Tokarev ammunition (which I have many spam cans and boxes of already from long before Prop 63 went into effect).

Once they were rung up on the register, I paid for the ammunition and the $1.00 instant background check.

It was slow in the store so I had a chat with the sales person, and he is moving to Idaho in the next year to escape the insanity of current and future California laws...

P.S. - I wanted to add that this was after going to the Humboldt County Veteran's Service Office to get the paperwork to add "VETERAN" to my Ca 'Real ID' DL when it is due for renewal in October of this year...

Last edited by Humboldt Leatherneck; 07-08-2019 at 4:22 PM..
Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Entry Level Thread Killer
CGN Contributor

I'm at turners right now. They're making me pay $19 for po box on license

"Paranoia is only good thinking when everyone is out to get you"

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-16-2019, 9:53 PM
Entry Level Thread Killer
CGN Contributor

Still no call back from turners on the ammo background check... Lax email said po box on license ok $1 fee

"Paranoia is only good thinking when everyone is out to get you"

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-17-2019, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How about a foreign address on your CA driver's license? Will that work here? Seems 1/2 the state has a little place down south...
Old 08-17-2019, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
Go to DMV. For $5.00 fee they will put any address you want on the D/L. I changed mine to get a gun. By the way, a P.O. Box is no problem. I have one on my D/L and had one to get the gun. It is the secondary address, the physical address which has to be consistent with the P.O. Box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJoe View Post
DMV will put both PO Box and physical street address on license...

Had mine that way over 20 years, renewed 2 years ago at DMV
You do realize there are valid reasons why people do not want their physical address on the DL Or vehicle Registration??

Imagine if you will my wife who works with the severe mentally ill.

Why would we want to draw a path to our home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-17-2019, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Just renewed my license this morning. Not as bad as I expected. 920am appt, got to the counter at 940 and was out by 10 and back home by 1015.

Got a Real ID DL and am still using my PO Box as the mailing address on it, as I have been doing for decades. Same applies to all 5 of my auto registrations. My street address is subject to a confidentiality block that not even DMV clerks or cops can can see if/when they run my DL or any of the auto license #'s. The fact that cops can't see my address is a tip off that I'm also a cop, which is very helpful if/when I'm ever stopped.

Not worried about buying guns or ammo with it provided that supplementary proof of my current residence is still accepted, as it apparently is.

BTW, they did not require me to "turn in" my as yet unexpired DL which is not a "real ID." Should get the "real ID" DL w/in 30 days.
Yep Pops used to have this on all his vehicles. His showed Dept of Treasury. Helpful when I was driving his car. "Yes sir, have a good day sir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-17-2019, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
P.S. - I wanted to add that this was after going to the Humboldt County Veteran's Service Office to get the paperwork to add "VETERAN" to my Ca 'Real ID' DL when it is due for renewal in October of this year...
Did not know this was an option... will have to check San Diego's VSO about this.
Old 08-17-2019, 3:14 PM

So po box on a dl is ok as long as dmv has your actual address also?
Old 08-17-2019, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
So po box on a dl is ok as long as dmv has your actual address also?
DMV doesn't need your actual address - you can have your PO box only if you want. Like others here, this is what I had for a while (PO box only), until I needed documentation with a residence address. I added my residence address, but it does not show on my DL because is a secondary address.

Your DL will still have just your PO box, but once your secondary address is added, you can then ask the DMV for a document printout that has both addresses. This printout has the CA State Seal in the background, making it legit for purchases like those we have been discussing.
Old 08-17-2019, 5:05 PM

LAX Ammunition OC is processing the $1 Standard EC for customers with a PO Box on their DL. As long as you have at least one firearm registered to your name, DL number, and a residential address, you can tell the vendor the address where your firearm is registered to get the AFS match. See their flow chart here: https://www.laxammooc.com/new-ammo-l...for-july-2019/
Old 08-17-2019, 5:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC12 View Post
When I DROS with my PO box DL, I take 2 utility bills, less than 90 days old. That seems to establish that the the PO box is tied to me, with my name on the bills and license, and shows my physical address. Never had a problem.
This. I have a gas bill and an electric bill that both have the po box and the physical address listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
Did not know this was an option... will have to check San Diego's VSO about this.
The San Diego County Veterans Service Office will need a copy of your DD-214, before they issue you the paperwork to add "VETERAN" to your Ca DL. Of course there is an additional $6 dollar fee at the DMV to do that!

Since I had originally had the Humboldt County Veteran's Office to retain copies of my DD-214 and DD-256 way back in the 1980s, I was informed they are now all digital, so I had to order a new set of DD-214 from the National Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri, for the County Veterans Office to scan and save electronically. No more analog/ paper records!

I was also told by the local Veteran Service Officer - do not fold, crumple, or crease the sheet of paper that they issued for adding "VETERAN' to your Ca DL issued by the County Veteran's Service Office, or the DMV will reject it! The "VETERAN" form has my PO Box mailing address, and my physical street address on it.

I have my appointment with the Eureka, Ca DMV office next week, to get my "Real ID" Ca DL...