Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-19-2019, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Default Subcompact Weapon Lights

I'm looking at getting most of my carry guns weapons lights. The railed ones are easy. The ones without rails, Shield, G26, P238, LCP etc are very limited. Since defensive encounters are often at night, lights are important, but often overlooked for small guns in particular.

The TLR-6 is the most common option. With or without laser. It has housings for most common semi autos. At only 100 lumens, it's not the brightest out there, but equivalent to its competitors. Holsters are fairly easy to find. Reliability seems good based on reviews and it's been out for a while now. It's around $70 for light only and about a $100 for light/laser.

The Crimson Trace Lightguard is another option. Slightly higher output at 110 lumens for about $70. Also available with laser (Laserguard Pro) but at $250, it's far more than the TLR-6 with laser. Holsters seem to be hard to find.

I know even less about the Viridian Reactor TL. Same output of 100 lumens, but full reviews are non-existent as far as I've seen. The light can be purchased with a holster that fits, but I know of no holster makers that make them.

I may have missed one, but if I did, I imagine holsters for light would be much harder to find. I'm pretty picky about holsters and ones for weapon mounted lights are even tougher to find. Streamlight is the clear winner for holster options. The others are nearly impossible to find holsters for. Either have a local guy make a custom holster with your actual light and firearm, or get the kydex and make your own.

Getting thoughts and experiences with this type of weapon light. I didn't see many posts about it, so I figured it might be helpful to post something and see what people's experiences were. Holster options are a big factor. No point in getting a light without a decent holster for it.
Old 08-19-2019, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Personally, I don’t carry a weapon light on my CCW. I think 99.6% of CCW encounters are inside 5-15 yards and I don’t walk around outside in the dark....if were to, I’d have a flashlight. I can tell who is around me and who is threatening me.

My HD/bedside has a TLR-1, though.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 08-19-2019, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Personally, I don’t carry a weapon light on my CCW. I think 99.6% of CCW encounters are inside 5-15 yards and I don’t walk around outside in the dark....if were to, I’d have a flashlight. I can tell who is around me and who is threatening me.

My HD/bedside has a TLR-1, though.

True, but target ID is critical. Just because you can hit a target at that range in the dark doesn't mean you know who or what you're shooting at. At least in my house I have light switches. I won't have the switch to street or parking lot lights. If they're there in the first place. There may be enough light to see people and cars around you, but not details. The difference between seeing a gun or knife and a good shoot or a bad one.

I also have a flashlight, but having one mounted to the gun is pretty helpful, not to mention gives you a free hand if you need to drop the flashlight or grab a family member. Given the amount of money a lot of us spend on guns and ammo, the light is a drop in the bucket. I see zero disadvantages to using one and several without one.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

The Viridian uses a magnet to activate/deactivate their ECM unit. Holster options are limited, but you can basically add a magnet to any holster. I've owned one on a Shield and carried for some time. It became a gimmick to me, so I took it off since my now preferred holster maker doesn't support it.

If I did it all over again, I'd just get the TLR-6 (light only) and be done with it. I doubt I'd use it as much as the TLR-7 and TLR-1 on my larger framed pistols, but it is nice to have.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 08-20-2019, 6:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
The Viridian uses a magnet to activate/deactivate their ECM unit. Holster options are limited, but you can basically add a magnet to any holster. I've owned one on a Shield and carried for some time. It became a gimmick to me, so I took it off since my now preferred holster maker doesn't support it.

If I did it all over again, I'd just get the TLR-6 (light only) and be done with it. I doubt I'd use it as much as the TLR-7 and TLR-1 on my larger framed pistols, but it is nice to have.
So that's the auto on/off. That doesn't seem particularly great. You may not want a light turned on.

The TLR-6 does seem to be the best option. I'm tempted to wait a while and see if a higher output light comes out soon, but I've not heard of any.

I've got a couple of TLR-1s that I plan on switching to TLR-7 for carry and TLR-1HL for home defense and OWB carry.
Old 08-20-2019, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
So that's the auto on/off. That doesn't seem particularly great. You may not want a light turned on.

The TLR-6 does seem to be the best option. I'm tempted to wait a while and see if a higher output light comes out soon, but I've not heard of any.

I've got a couple of TLR-1s that I plan on switching to TLR-7 for carry and TLR-1HL for home defense and OWB carry.

Just note that the TLR-7 activation switch is not ideal unless you have monkey long fingers/thumbs. LOL

Old 08-20-2019, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

A seldom discussed aspect of a weapon mounted flashlight is the need to actually draw down on someone to use it.

While this is perfect for home defense (I have a very bright one mounted on my G21), it can be a particularly risky/deadly move outside the home.

Unless you are a LEO or live near dangerous game, pistol mounted flashlights are IMHO generally a bad idea for your CCW pistol.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 08-20-2019, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I recommend the OP cut to the chase and buy an appropriate sized handheld light for LTC. It's a more flexible option and not difficult to train up to a competent level of use.

Lights on HD weapons du jour? You bet.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-20-2019, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Unless you are a LEO or live near dangerous game, pistol mounted flashlights are IMHO generally a bad idea for your CCW pistol.
My feelings exactly. Putting a light on a CCW pistol which is a "defensive weapon only" doesn't make sense to me.
- It's not like you should be out in public clearing a structure or "looking" for someone. A CCW is a defensive weapon only.
- The addition of a light is contrary to the "C" in CCW and more so on a sub compact.
- Tactically, searching around with a weapon mounted light turned on in the dark makes it easier to see you and engage you. Don't forget LEO's work in different conditions and rules of engagement and seldom try to clear a structure alone...

On your home or business defensive weapon, sure a light is a valuable tool. For police officers...necessary without a doubt. The only pistol with a light on it is my home defense pistol in my night stand. All my CCW pistols have night sights only.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 08-20-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

So much boomer FUDD here. Yall gonna rack yo shotty to scare away the perp also? Aim a laser to let dem know yall mean bidniz? Yall gonna scream, "Contact!" or "Suppression fire!" before you engage?

Learn both WML and handheld then come to your own conclusion like you're supposed to. The topic was about WML selections for SC sized weapons without rails, not about your opinion of use.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
A seldom discussed aspect of a weapon mounted flashlight is the need to actually draw down on someone to use it.

While this is perfect for home defense (I have a very bright one mounted on my G21), it can be a particularly risky/deadly move outside the home.

Well I do carry a flashlight that is much brighter than the Streamlights. So it won’t be the only option. I think once the gun is drawn, the weapon light is a better option. You also don’t necessarily need to point it directly to illuminate an area. But if it comes to actually having to fire, I don’t want to have to rely on my off hand to hold a flashlight if I need to use it for something.

If you’re carrying a handheld light, I see zero disadvantages to using a WML. I’m surprised people are against carrying them. If it’s bigger, like an X300 or TLR-1 then it may be, but these are pretty small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
Well I do carry a flashlight that is much brighter than the Streamlights. So it won’t be the only option. I think once the gun is drawn, the weapon light is a better option. You also don’t necessarily need to point it directly to illuminate an area. But if it comes to actually having to fire, I don’t want to have to rely on my off hand to hold a flashlight if I need to use it for something.

If you’re carrying a handheld light, I see zero disadvantages to using a WML. I’m surprised people are against carrying them. If it’s bigger, like an X300 or TLR-1 then it may be, but these are pretty small.

That's because this place is full of boomer FUDDs who refuse to objectively look at advancing their own skills. These types rely on arguing from credentials via NRA certifications or "I did this, so I know better than you" or "you better not do this because you'll get prosecuted" mentalities.

The shooting world has advanced SO much from technology to techniques. The body mechanics side is huge. The sports and combat sides are merging together to form more fluid and efficient shooting to save lives.

No more squaring up and squatting like you're pooping your pants or bladed full on weaver. You need to be able to keep moving to avoid being a static target. Training to shoot from unconventional positions because your SD situation will almost never be a perfect world scenario. Force on force training with elevated stress is needed. Worst of all, they still believe that LE deserve more than the common person. We're all the same! Evil goes everywhere!

Look at your thread. You asked a specific question and they responded with their FUDD without even answering your question. That's Calguns nowadays.

Last edited by code_blue; 08-20-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I recommend the OP cut to the chase and buy an appropriate sized handheld light for LTC. It's a more flexible option and not difficult to train up to a competent level of use.

Lights on HD weapons du jour? You bet.

Again, the assumption is being made that the WML is the only light available and that the user is going to be using their gun for searching or clearing buildings. That’s going way out on a limb.

If you have both and understand the basics on use of force, I don’t see the problem. If someone doesn’t understand that, there’s bigger issues than what light they’re using.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I prefer to identify things in the dark by pointing a flashlight at it, as there are many things I’d prefer not to point a gun at in a high stress situation; headlamps are your friend.

(I would make an exception for a light mounted on a shotgun, which would be appropriate due to my lack of a third hand)

Last edited by plumbum; 08-20-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
I prefer to identify things in the dark by pointing a flashlight at it, as there are many things I’d prefer not to point a gun at in a high stress situation; headlamps are your friend.

(I would make an exception for a light mounted on a shotgun, which would be appropriate due to my lack of a third hand)

Using a headlamp in a gun fight may be the worst idea I’ve ever heard. They’re great for working on stuff, but I don’t need a beacon on my forehead if I’m worried about someone shooting at me.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

I like the inforce light that's designed around the Glock 19. I have that on my HD gun. I feel silly practicing with it on at the range, but has to be done.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Tlr 7/8 is great imo, if you have small feminine hands you might have trouble reaching the switch with your fingers.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post

If you have drawn your CCW or off duty gun that probably means you have already identified some kind of threat. If you are still in the search phase, that’s what your handheld is for and your firearm should remain holstered at that point.

Even if you do need to search with your WML, you don’t have to identify things by pointing your WML directly at it. It’s 2019, WML’s are bright enough to illuminate an entire room. You would know this if you actually used one in a practical application.

The headlamp idea.

Last edited by JDMIS300; 08-20-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 1:04 PM

I carry a flashlight at all times and still have a light on all my carry guns. Doesn’t hurt to have both
Old 08-20-2019, 2:49 PM

Default Subcompact Weapon Lights

I like the idea of a good handheld light and a laser for the pistol. If I do have to draw my pistol and fire using one hand and the other hand holding the handheld light, I think not having to be behind the sights, especially while on the move or behind cover or in a weird position, would be a really good use of the laser. Plus, all of my Crimson Trace green lasers have just enough spill in the complete dark to have some value in target identification. Not nearly as good as a good light but better than nothing.

And maybe, just maybe, a laser might have some deterrent effect.

Last edited by rlewpolar; 08-20-2019 at 2:54 PM..
Old 08-21-2019, 7:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also consider an XC-1b

Make sure you can find a holster for whatever combination you want to carry.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I like the inforce light that's designed around the Glock 19. I have that on my HD gun. I feel silly practicing with it on at the range, but has to be done.
Ditto. I like its size and simple controls. Its mounted on the HD glock 22, while the critter defense rifles wear noname pistol WMLs.

Don't have a light on the carry pistols. They have night sights, and I also have a small flashlight for EDC.

California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

Last edited by kenl; 08-21-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 2:25 PM

I've got the Streamlight TLR-6 on a P238, light and laser. You can press quickly, and it comes on and stays on, or press and hold, it goes off when you release (a bit odd to get used to, but useful). If you press the opposing button while on, you can cycle through laser/flashlight/both. Again, takes some getting used to, but makes it more versatile. IF you have the presence of mind and the luxury, you have options.

My take is it never hurts to have options, and there's a high power (blinding at night) flashlight right next to the Sig...

You will need to practice (preferably dry fire with a laser indicator, sorry, there's another $100 to spend...) and run scenarios through your mind so that you aren't fumbling around should poo actually hit the rotary oscillator and start flying around. Remember to run scenarios with multiple threats, not just a lone criminal...

Nothing wrong in my book with making sure what it is you're shooting, if at all possible, and having options that will "stop" the threat short of deadly force, as long as it doesn't increase the risk to yourself or others.
Old 08-21-2019, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Nothing silly about it. Train like you fight, or hope not to. The other is "train hard, fight easy". I saw someone suggesting putting some tape over the light to keep the lens from getting scratched if you don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelholder View Post
Tlr 7/8 is great imo, if you have small feminine hands you might have trouble reaching the switch with your fingers.
Good to know about the TLR-7. I'm large size Mechanix, so not super girly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMIS300 View Post
If you have drawn your CCW or off duty gun that probably means you have already identified some kind of threat. If you are still in the search phase, that’s what your handheld is for and your firearm should remain holstered at that point.

Agreed. I like that the light will stay with the gun no matter what. If it comes down to it, having a light can make a big difference if it's dark.

Even if you do need to search with your WML, you don’t have to identify things by pointing your WML directly at it. It’s 2019, WML’s are bright enough to illuminate an entire room. You would know this if you actually used one in a practical application.

The headlamp idea.
Most weapon lights have a fair amount of spill for just this reason. My 1200 lumen Olight is very good at lighting a dark room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGlock9 View Post
I carry a flashlight at all times and still have a light on all my carry guns. Doesn’t hurt to have both
That's the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I like the idea of a good handheld light and a laser for the pistol. If I do have to draw my pistol and fire using one hand and the other hand holding the handheld light, I think not having to be behind the sights, especially while on the move or behind cover or in a weird position, would be a really good use of the laser. Plus, all of my Crimson Trace green lasers have just enough spill in the complete dark to have some value in target identification. Not nearly as good as a good light but better than nothing.

And maybe, just maybe, a laser might have some deterrent effect.
I just ordered a TLR6 with light and laser. I've never used a laser, so I have no idea if I'll like it or not, but it was cheap, so I'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Also consider an XC-1b

Make sure you can find a holster for whatever combination you want to carry.
I like Surefire's bombproof construction but not he output or price. Looking for the holster almost has to come before the light. If you can't find a decent holster, it's not even worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
Ditto. I like its size and simple controls. Its mounted on the HD glock 22, while the critter defense rifles wear noname pistol WMLs.

Don't have a light on the carry pistols. They have night sights, and I also have a small flashlight for EDC.
Night sights are overrated IMO. I have a set on each of my carry guns but I'm not convinced if they're useful. If it's dark enough to see the tritium, it's almost certainly too dark to see the target. If the target is illuminated, it the sights are just shadows. I find myself leaning towards fiber optic sights with a blacked out rear. A guy at a gunstore said he liked the fact he could find his gun was in the dark. Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
I've got the Streamlight TLR-6 on a P238, light and laser. You can press quickly, and it comes on and stays on, or press and hold, it goes off when you release (a bit odd to get used to, but useful). If you press the opposing button while on, you can cycle through laser/flashlight/both. Again, takes some getting used to, but makes it more versatile. IF you have the presence of mind and the luxury, you have options.

My take is it never hurts to have options, and there's a high power (blinding at night) flashlight right next to the Sig...

You will need to practice (preferably dry fire with a laser indicator, sorry, there's another $100 to spend...) and run scenarios through your mind so that you aren't fumbling around should poo actually hit the rotary oscillator and start flying around. Remember to run scenarios with multiple threats, not just a lone criminal...

Nothing wrong in my book with making sure what it is you're shooting, if at all possible, and having options that will "stop" the threat short of deadly force, as long as it doesn't increase the risk to yourself or others.
I figure that a light will give you an edge in almost all situations. If you have to start shooting, having that light on your target will help get hits when everything has hit the fan. I have quite a few flashlights and most of them are quite a bit more than 100 lumens, but having it attached to the gun is nice.
Old 08-21-2019, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Floogy, if there's anything that I've learned from this thread, it is that you are a level-headed gun owner that analyzes the details and comes to your own rational and logical conclusion; as we all as responsible gun owners should. We should all be considering alternatives and advancements in technology and techniques to further our own capabilities.

We need more of that to combat the boomer FUDs out there. Kudos, buddy.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Since the light and the laser are more or less centered on the same spot, you get the choice of how to "light up" where the bullets should go if needed.

The TLR-6 light is most likely not going to blind anyone (that's what the bigger handheld is for!), and in some ways I regard that as a "weakness".

I have other rail mount laser/flashlight combos that are significantly brighter, and could blind a person temporarily if it shines into their eyes, also providing a possible tactical advantage, because they are likely to instinctively twitch or jerk to avoid the light.
Old 08-22-2019, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Floogy, if there's anything that I've learned from this thread, it is that you are a level-headed gun owner that analyzes the details and comes to your own rational and logical conclusion; as we all as responsible gun owners should. We should all be considering alternatives and advancements in technology and techniques to further our own capabilities.

We need more of that to combat the boomer FUDs out there. Kudos, buddy.
Thanks. I really hadn't intended the thread to be a debate about whether or not to use them. But what's the point of Calguns if we don't argue about stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
Since the light and the laser are more or less centered on the same spot, you get the choice of how to "light up" where the bullets should go if needed.

The TLR-6 light is most likely not going to blind anyone (that's what the bigger handheld is for!), and in some ways I regard that as a "weakness".

I have other rail mount laser/flashlight combos that are significantly brighter, and could blind a person temporarily if it shines into their eyes, also providing a possible tactical advantage, because they are likely to instinctively twitch or jerk to avoid the light.
Yeah, while I don't want to say for sure that you could use a light to "point" a gun, I can see it happening under stress. The laser would help in that case.

100 lumens is not that bright, but if your eyes are night adjusted and it's pointed at you, it will be disorienting. Not as much as 1000+ of course, but I think it's still something. I'll have my wife point it at me without it mounted on the gun and see what that's like.

Strobing lights have been shown to create an advantage because the person it's being pointed at will have a hard time judging distance. I think that function is more suited for LE use. It won't stop a determined attacker, but it will be a disadvantage to them.