Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazstic View Post
Congrats hogfarmer!!!

Good luck with the CCW. I got my interview moved up to next month. Riverside County. I'll post back with my results.

Thanks ! I set my first appointment in Sept 2018 and appt is March 29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2019, 3:58 PM

What’s up everyone. It’s been a while since I last posted on here, been going through this process like the rest of you. Quick summary of my situation:

January 9, 2018 - I got my weed felony reduced to a misdemeanor(pursuant to HS 11361.8) & I moved to Las Vegas.

March 2018 - I tried to make my first purchase out here in Vegas(not knowing the long process of getting record updated) and went delayed for 30 days & eventually denied. When I requested the reasoning for denial I got back a letter informing me that I couldn’t make a purchase because I am a felon. So now the fun begins and I start doing my research & find this thread online & sign up.

April 2018 - I conduct a live scan and of course it comes back & shows I am still a felon. I ended up contacting Napa County(where I caught my case) & was informed that they were in the process of configuring a new computer system to make record updating/submission easier & faster, & that NO ONES records are being submitted to the DOJ until their new system is up & running. So pretty much a waiting game for me & playing tag on the phone with the court to check the status. Eventually I request a manual submit, opposed to the electronic submit which is supposed to make the process faster, and once again have to lay the waiting game bexuSe the manual submit is a slower process.

January 2019 - I follow up with the court and they inform me that my request was submitted in October 2018(both manually & electronically) and I’m thinking thanks for not informing me, but wow this is some progress, especially after being a felon for more than 10 years. So once again from what I’ve read on this thread it’s an additional waiting process for the record update.

February 2019 - I went to a local gun show, and found some great deals & figured it’s been a few months since my record was submitted to the DOJ so why not give it a try. I purchase a Glock 19 Gen 4 for $490 and wait for the approval from the background check(which this new law requiring background checks for private sales just went into effect the same day in Nevada). Of all the 20 or so people waiting for the background check to clear they inform us that there were 2 denials, of course I was one of them. I already know it has to be because my federal record has not been updated yet. I told the salesman about my situation, showed him my certified court minute order, & this is when he tells me I should just go get my ccw to avoid background checks, he said the person probably handing all the checks via phone for the gun show was probably some minimum wage employee who doesn’t care too much, & that they would definitely do a more in depth investigation into my background if I did apply for a ccw.

Now, I’ve seen a couple people on here get their ccw before being approved a DROS. I want to know about that process and if they really are able to see all accurate record information when applying for a ccw? Out here there is no background check for purchases if you have a ccw(not sure if that’s the same in Cali). So this is my predicament, it’s been a long year of waiting and hoping, but better than still being an actual felon and feels good to know there are some of us in this thread that have success stories. I signed up for a ccw course for this Friday. Any info/suggestions about my situation & about the ccw process would be greatly appreciated. And to everyone on here good luck and don’t give up!
Old 02-20-2019, 8:36 AM

To my knowledge no one in this thread received a CCW BEFORE they were approved to purchase. Why do that? You'll spend more money and get denied which WILL NOT be good for future CCW application. You should have received a letter of explanation as to why your DROS was denied. Use the appeal form and appeal the denial. Include with your letter your court docs that prove you have indeed been through the legal system of having the Felony reduced and granted. DO NOT apply for CCW in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2019, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Papa View Post
To my knowledge no one in this thread received a CCW BEFORE they were approved to purchase. Why do that? You'll spend more money and get denied which WILL NOT be good for future CCW application. You should have received a letter of explanation as to why your DROS was denied. Use the appeal form and appeal the denial. Include with your letter your court docs that prove you have indeed been through the legal system of having the Felony reduced and granted. DO NOT apply for CCW in my opinion.
I agree with papa. Have you done a livescan recently or are you relying on your court minute orders showing the reduction? The DOJ seems to not update any records unless you formally appeal. I waited a few months like you and no changes happened on the livescan. I did the alleged inaccuracies form thing and it took about another year to actually get my livescan amended. After that I was able to purchase on 'undetermined' dros response.

On another note I have purchased 1 on undetermined and 1 on approved. Just drosed a kimber 1911 2 weeks ago and its delayed so we are most likely back to undetermined. I think it has a lot to do with what analyst at the DOJ is doing your paperwork.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, exactly why I’m on here, trying to get all the best advice possible, I appreciate it. I was wondering why the guy at the gun show was tell g me to just go for my ccw, I was a bit confused with that one.
Old 02-20-2019, 3:29 PM

Thank you for the info/advice. Still waiting on my my letter in the mail pertaining to my recent denial of purchase. Do I work for that letter in the mail? Or just go get another live scan then challenge it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumeazy View Post
I agree with papa. Have you done a livescan recently or are you relying on your court minute orders showing the reduction? The DOJ seems to not update any records unless you formally appeal. I waited a few months like you and no changes happened on the livescan. I did the alleged inaccuracies form thing and it took about another year to actually get my livescan amended. After that I was able to purchase on 'undetermined' dros response.

On another note I have purchased 1 on undetermined and 1 on approved. Just drosed a kimber 1911 2 weeks ago and its delayed so we are most likely back to undetermined. I think it has a lot to do with what analyst at the DOJ is doing your paperwork.

Old 02-20-2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnflo View Post
Thank you for the info/advice. Still waiting on my my letter in the mail pertaining to my recent denial of purchase. Do I work for that letter in the mail? Or just go get another live scan then challenge it?
Your problem is with the California DOJ. I would get a live scan done from the forms on cal doj website. I would do the 'records review' from them first, form 8016RR I believe. Then when that comes back as to not showing the reduction fill out the form 'Claim of alleged inaccuracies and incompleteness' that will come with the live scan. Then wait a few months. then wait a few more months. Then wait again. You will at some point, prior to becoming an AARP recipient, get the amended live scan back. You may need to do the same with your FBI criminal history report but i do not have experience with that.
Old 02-20-2019, 3:53 PM

Thank you dude, I appreciate all the the help. I checked the court website to view that status on my case and found this:

DISPOSITION OF ARREST(8717)
COMMENT: SUBSEQUENT ACTION 8715

Quote:
Your problem is with the California DOJ. I would get a live scan done from the forms on cal doj website. I would do the 'records review' from them first, form 8016RR I believe. Then when that comes back as to not showing the reduction fill out the form 'Claim of alleged inaccuracies and incompleteness' that will come with the live scan. Then wait a few months. then wait a few more months. Then wait again. You will at some point, prior to becoming an AARP recipient, get the amended live scan back. You may need to do the same with your FBI criminal history report but i do not have experience with that.
Old 02-21-2019, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnflo View Post
Thank you dude, I appreciate all the the help. I checked the court website to view that status on my case and found this:

DISPOSITION OF ARREST(8717)
COMMENT: SUBSEQUENT ACTION 8715
Still has nothing to do with the DOJ updating your criminal history. My reduction showed on the court website almost immediately after it was granted by the judge. I still had to do a live scan and fill out the 'claim of alleged inaccuracies and incompleteness' and it took over a year for them to actually investigate it and update my DOJ record. The California DOJ is not in the business of restoring your rights so you have to be proactive and do it yourself.

Step 1 is get a livescan done from the CA DOJ. Form is on their website for a records review. Then PM me and we can go from there, I am happy to guide you.
Old 02-21-2019, 9:30 AM

Right on bro. I am mailing out my BCIA 8016RR today. Will hit you up once I hear back from them. Thank you again for all your help

Quote:
Still has nothing to do with the DOJ updating your criminal history. My reduction showed on the court website almost immediately after it was granted by the judge. I still had to do a live scan and fill out the 'claim of alleged inaccuracies and incompleteness' and it took over a year for them to actually investigate it and update my DOJ record. The California DOJ is not in the business of restoring your rights so you have to be proactive and do it yourself.

Step 1 is get a livescan done from the CA DOJ. Form is on their website for a records review. Then PM me and we can go from there, I am happy to guide you.
Old 02-24-2019, 6:53 AM

Question about the Live Scan, is getting the results, print out, only available via US Mail? I did a Live Scan about a year ago, and never got anything. I went back to the UPS Store and they said they can't do anything to track it. I did another Live Scan last Thursday, so I'm hoping I actually get this one. The ATI number lookup says it was already processed. I guess the DOJ just needs to put it in the mail?
Old 02-24-2019, 6:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoat View Post
Question about the Live Scan, is getting the results, print out, only available via US Mail? I did a Live Scan about a year ago, and never got anything. I went back to the UPS Store and they said they can't do anything to track it. I did another Live Scan last Thursday, so I'm hoping I actually get this one. The ATI number lookup says it was already processed. I guess the DOJ just needs to put it in the mail?
Correct, USPS only. What kind of Livescan did you do a year ago? The record review usually gets processed quickly, the firearm denial Livescan takes forever.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
Correct, USPS only. What kind of Livescan did you do a year ago? The record review usually gets processed quickly, the firearm denial Livescan takes forever.
It was definitely an 8016RR, I still have the form I used. I just assumed it got lost in the mail. I never bothered following up with the DOJ, I figured it would be a lost cause. Finger crossed I get my latest one.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It was definitely an 8016RR, I still have the form I used. I just assumed it got lost in the mail. I never bothered following up with the DOJ, I figured it would be a lost cause. Finger crossed I get my latest one.
If you still have the original ATI, you could try sending the doj ”contact us” email inquiring about the status. Explain that the automated phone system says it's complete, it's been xxx days since then and you haven't received the results. Maybe they'll resend them. Worth 5 minutes of your time, and cost is $0, worst they could do is nothing.
Old 02-25-2019, 4:44 PM

Good news! 1, I got my Live Scan today, so it only took 3 days, not bad. 2, it show the reduction.

DISPO:REDUCED TO MISDEMEANOR
COM: PER PROP 64.

Going to the gun shop on Thursday to start the DROS on a Glock 19.
Old 02-25-2019, 4:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good news! 1, I got my Live Scan today, so it only took 3 days, not bad. 2, it show the reduction.

DISPO:REDUCED TO MISDEMEANOR
COM: PER PROP 64.

Going to the gun shop on Thursday to start the DROS on a Glock 19.

ETA: make sure you know the stores policy for releasing on undetermined status, before you sign or pay for anything.
Old 02-26-2019, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post

ETA: make sure you know the stores policy for releasing on undetermined status, before you sign or pay for anything.
Thanks, it maybe too late for this purchase, at least they do not have a restocking fee. Now that I have discovered this post, I feel much more educated and will make my next purchase at one of stores mentioned here.

I do have a question, If I do get a denied, and assuming my LiveScan is OK, what is the next step get to a 10 day? I read and re-read this post a dozen times and I don't seem to understand this step.
Old 02-26-2019, 5:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, it maybe too late for this purchase, at least they do not have a restocking fee. Now that I have discovered this post, I feel much more educated and will make my next purchase at one of stores mentioned here.

I do have a question, If I do get a denied, and assuming my LiveScan is OK, what is the next step get to a 10 day? I read and re-read this post a dozen times and I don't seem to understand this step.
Luck, lol...
If you're denied, you can appeal using the AB165 Livescan for Firearms Denial BOF8016RR1108, someone recently posted they finally got their results from the appeal back after ~1 year.

Undetermined is what happens to a lot of folks who have had issues on their record which have been resolved. Delayed is essentially a step that allows the CA DOJ more time to research your background, but also puts then in the clock to do so, once that 30 days is up, you'll go Undetermined. The 30 days is from the DROS date and time, NOT the time you go Delayed

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

^^About half way down it explains the different scenarios; Delayed, Undetermined, Rejected, and Denied.
Old 03-07-2019, 5:51 PM

Approved after delay.

Old 03-07-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Approved after delay.

Nice! A 1911 is definitely up on my list... Once I can scrounge some funds!
Old 03-08-2019, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Approved after delay.

Congrats on obtaining that nice piece! How long after delay did the approval come in?
Old 03-08-2019, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Congrats on obtaining that nice piece! How long after delay did the approval come in?
Day 28 from the start of the dros.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Nice! A 1911 is definitely up on my list... Once I can scrounge some funds!
That was my first purchase! Congrats on the acquisitions everyone! I've been enjoying the heck out of my god given rights this past year. It's actually coming up on a year pretty soon. Have been tossing around the idea of applying for an FFL, but looking to speak to an attorney that specializes in that first to see if there's any potential issues at the Federal level that could provoke further scrutiny that might cause issues. I've done some Duracoating, done a lot of training, handgun, shotgun, AR, precision, a USPSA match, some hunting, looking to do more handgun comps and try some precision comps, man it's fun! I actually sold off a model t hot rod project I'd been sitting on for a number of years and just shifted my hobbies around

Did anyone see the article about San Francisco looking to proactively file these motions for eligible folk? A third party got involved to help filter cases that would be eligible. Pretty cool, and surprisingly reasonable of them to do.
Old 03-08-2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_ants View Post

Did anyone see the article about San Francisco looking to proactively file these motions for eligible folk? A third party got involved to help filter cases that would be eligible. Pretty cool, and surprisingly reasonable of them to do.
Yep, hopefully all counties will be required to do this.
Old 03-09-2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Approved after delay.

Awesome ! Sweet purchase !

Old 03-10-2019, 8:49 AM

Once you get an approved DROS, are the subsequent ones more likely to go approved? Or are we going to have deal with this uncertainty forever? Does the DOJ do any kind of flagging of you record that you are an approved buyer?
Old 03-10-2019, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_ants View Post
[snip]

Quote:
Yep, hopefully all counties will be required to do this.
Just wait until they catch wind of what y'all are doing with your new non-felon status....

Old 03-11-2019, 7:07 AM

First off welcome to Calguns SB1942! Although there are many wise people here who will certainly be more than willing to help you... patience will be your best friend during this process.

First off what was the felony charge/ conviction for? This thread is HS11359 “possessing marajuana with intent to sale” related and the process of reducing that charge to misdemeanor and then restoring firearm rights under California’s Prop 64 so I’m assuming that’s your charge as well? Secondly... yes send in the appeal form and go get a live scan done if you haven’t already and start there. When doing the livescan mark “personal review” not “firearms eligibility” for what some say is for faster processing. Let us know when you get that completed. It usually takes about 7-10 days turn around time.
Old 03-11-2019, 5:48 PM

First purchase and it went through on a natural 10 day!! Nutten fancy, but it's mine. I feel lucky, stoked, and relieved. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and it feels great. Here's a little background on my situation.

Original charge was back in '82 for a 11359, but was pleaded down to a 11358, cause... that's better? . Upon hearing about Prop 64 in 2016, I went through a lawyer to submit the reduction request. This was all new to everyone back then and everything took a long time.

Didn't hear anything from the county court until May 2017 when I received the redesignation granted letter. Did a live scan a few months after and still nothing, at which point I kind of gave up on it all.

Jump to Feb 2019, I got the bug again, discovered this thread, read it 20 times. Did a new live scan and BAM, reduction to misdemeanor was on there. But, I think more importantly, was the additional comment, PER PROP 64.

Ran down to the LSG and 10 days later, voila. While my journey was long, it was fairly painless. Thanks to everyone here for sharing such valuable information.

Old 03-11-2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
First purchase and it went through on a natural 10 day!! Nutten fancy, but it's mine. I feel lucky, stoked, and relieved. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and it feels great. Here's a little background on my situation.

Original charge was back in '82 for a 11359, but was pleaded down to a 11358, cause... that's better? . Upon hearing about Prop 64 in 2016, I went through a lawyer to submit the reduction request. This was all new to everyone back then and everything took a long time.

Didn't hear anything from the county court until May 2017 when I received the redesignation granted letter. Did a live scan a few months after and still nothing, at which point I kind of gave up on it all.

Jump to Feb 2019, I got the bug again, discovered this thread, read it 20 times. Did a new live scan and BAM, reduction to misdemeanor was on there. But, I think more importantly, was the additional comment, PER PROP 64.

Ran down to the LSG and 10 days later, voila. While my journey was long, it was fairly painless. Thanks to everyone here for sharing such valuable information.

Nice! Feels good huh? On the flip side your wallet will never be the same now..... it just gets more expensive from here lol

Old 03-11-2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:

Nothing like the first one goin through ! Congratulations !

Old 03-12-2019, 9:13 AM

Congrats evilgoat on completing the process and rewarding yourself appropriately with that new Glock 19!
Old 04-30-2019, 2:20 PM

Default PROP 64 reducing felony to a misdemeanor

Guys I was just approved for my CCW in San Diego County ! Set my first phone appointment last Sept 2018, took almost a whole year for the whole process. What a Feeling ! Two natural 10 day waits and one successful intra familial transfer! What a journey it has been !

Last edited by Hogfarmer; 04-30-2019 at 6:12 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Congrats HogFarmer!

I was just approved for my CCW in Riverside County. It took nearly a year from my first call to set an appointment.

However, under the new Sheriff, Bianco, the times have been drastically reduced. There was a guy in the class/qual that had made his first appointment just 3 weeks earlier. So it's possible to have a CCW in hand from your first phone call to get an interview date, in 5 weeks or less. Go Sheriff Bianco!!!
Old 05-16-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Congrats HogFarmer!

I was just approved for my CCW in Riverside County. It took nearly a year from my first call to set an appointment.

However, under the new Sheriff, Bianco, the times have been drastically reduced. There was a guy in the class/qual that had made his first appointment just 3 weeks earlier. So it's possible to have a CCW in hand from your first phone call to get an interview date, in 5 weeks or less. Go Sheriff Bianco!!!

Heck yeah ! Congrats !

Old 06-03-2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
Guys I was just approved for my CCW in San Diego County ! Set my first phone appointment last Sept 2018, took almost a whole year for the whole process. What a Feeling ! Two natural 10 day waits and one successful intra familial transfer! What a journey it has been !
Quote:
Congrats HogFarmer!

Congratulations guys!
Old 06-03-2019, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Has any one else gotten their felony reduced to a misdemeanor under prop 64 and been able to purchase a firearm?

Short story long, when I was a stupid 18 year old I was arrested for HS11360 and HS11359. Ended up with a plea to just the HS11360. Other than traffic tickets, of course, that is the only time i have ever been in trouble with the law. Since then I have gotten the 1203.4 dismissal (does pretty much nothing) and now I have gotten the whole thing reduced to a misdemeanor with the new prop 64.

Back in Feb I mailed in a PFEC just to see what they would say but the check was never cashed so I am assuming it got lost some where. Did a livescan yesterday to see if my record with the DOJ was amended or not. Just wondering if any one else has gone through this and what their experiences are.
I would go crazy without my 2nd Amend rights. Hopefully, you get this all sorted out and your rights are returned. But in the meantime, could I get an OZ from you.
Old 08-05-2019, 7:59 AM

Just wanted to throw this out there, if anyone wants to see what their employment background check looks like for free I got a legal loophole.

Step 1 download uber,

Step 2 apply for driver,

You can do everything from behind a screen, and if you really want to start working for uber, doubt it, go ahead and finish the rest of the process.

The background check is one of the first steps and you can ask the company that does it for uber, checkr, to give you a free copy, its the law that they provide it to you for free when you apply for a job.

This report will be what any corporate hiring process would see, basically most jobs.

I'm all clear, had a possession for sale felony dropped to a misdemeanor and expunged.

Lawyer says answer no to "have you ever been convicted of a felony" and that is correct because as you can see it is all clear.

BUT if a job requires a live scan or asks 'have you ever been arrested" you need to show it and discuss what happened. that it was reclassified etc.

Here is a copy of my report with my personal info omitted

https://www.scribd.com/document/420834743/Uber-Report

Cheers!

I have yet to even get a live-scan but that is next and I will post that as well.

Last edited by coughee; 08-05-2019 at 8:04 AM..
Old 08-30-2019, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Does this mean SF or other Bay Area counties are granting CCW?
Did hell freeze over?
Old 08-30-2019, 10:33 PM

Something tells me phase two of the "California plan" by the state DOJ is going into effect. Deliberate bungling and mistakes to delay clearances, the old sorry the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, or we are so backlogged because we are under budget excuses. Computer breakdowns on the system and making people do things over several times will become normal and make DMV look great by comparison. Then the gun stores will come in and re-charge you if you go over the time limits and how many guns will they own by forfeit. I am fully expecting many more screw ups in the coming year with even more restrictive laws to come. these are not honest mistakes. they are deliberate and they are all sitting back laughing at DOJ.