Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-12-2019, 1:59 AM

Default Converting an "AK" to an "saiga"

I'd like to sporterize my fin-grip AK into a classic Sega style rifle. I found the stock online cheap but can't find a trigger group. Also I cant find any diffentive pictures of a trigger group outside of the receiver. So trying to fabricate one without a general idea of how it is supposed to function doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Any one have experience in this endeavor' as well as a possible line on parts?
Old 06-12-2019, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Dang, de-evolution sucks
Old 06-12-2019, 5:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i may have a complete saiga trigger kit. I'll need to check in my parts bin
Old 06-12-2019, 7:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2q3RQmViYE

I would rather have a fin and a nice ALG trigger... than the saiga trigger and mini 14 style stock

Rifle Dynamics in vegas did a ton of conversions... I don't know if they have a mountain of old Saiga Parts or if they sold off those parts

http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-saiga308lg.html

http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-saiga223lg.html

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-12-2019, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverdunerider View Post
I'd like to sporterize my fin-grip AK into a classic Sega style rifle. I found the stock online cheap but can't find a trigger group. Also I cant find any diffentive pictures of a trigger group outside of the receiver. So trying to fabricate one without a general idea of how it is supposed to function doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Any one have experience in this endeavor' as well as a possible line on parts?
You will be able to get the parts from people that took them off when they converted AWAY from the Saiga design.
The problem will be the two extra trigger group pins.
The pins had hollow ends and the hollow ends were flared into the reciever like a hollow rivet.
Plan on fabricating those two pins as none of them survive in a usable state after removal.
You will probably need to borrow someone's Saiga to measure where to place the holes that you will need to drill.

Your best bet would simply be to sell your AK (it's probably worth more than an unconverted Saiga) and buy a Saiga.

More on this topic:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum//show....php?t=1466794

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM

It really doesn’t make sense converting it to the “sporter” set up. If you have a decent AK in today’s market you will probably be able to sell it for more than a sporterized Saiga. I think there is one in the market place for $700 obo right now.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM

If its the multipiece 7.62x39 Saiga trigger, just run... it is complete junk. But if you're hell bent on it, as others said just buy an existing Saiga.

(I really do think that unmolested Saigas may end up a valuable collector's item )
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morthrane View Post
If its the multipiece 7.62x39 Saiga trigger, just run... it is complete junk. But if you're hell bent on it, as others said just buy an existing Saiga.

(I really do think that unmolested Saigas may end up a valuable collector's item )
Hey I'm trying to see if someone wants to buy this junk

Correct though. it is junk and not worth the conversion.

OP just buy a monster man grip and be done
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
i may have a complete saiga trigger kit. I'll need to check in my parts bin
If you have any Id be willing to pay shipping and compensate you for parting with them. Let me know.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM

The reason I want to convert/ de-evolve the rifle to have a saiga stock is without the thumb wrapping around the pistol grip i believe safe/efficient manipulation of the rifle goes way down. I just find the fin very intrusive on heavier rifles like ar10 and the ak.I'm hoping it's better with the stock.anyone have experience to in handling both sporterized stocks and find grips? I only payed 500 for the rifle and an ammo can of ammo .it's a psak gen two ,so i don't know if how valuable it is .
Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Hey I'm trying to see if someone wants to buy this junk

Correct though. it is junk and not worth the conversion.

OP just buy a monster man grip and be done
When it actually came with on originally but I ended up putting on an kydex wrapped GI ar grip.
Old 06-13-2019, 4:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The reason I want to convert/ de-evolve the rifle to have a saiga stock is without the thumb wrapping around the pistol grip i believe safe/efficient manipulation of the rifle goes way down. I just find the fin very intrusive on heavier rifles like ar10 and the ak.I'm hoping it's better with the stock.anyone have experience to in handling both sporterized stocks and find grips? I only payed 500 for the rifle and an ammo can of ammo .it's a psak gen two ,so i don't know if how valuable it is .
On the AK it throws the balance way forward. The trigger with all the levers get real long and very mushy trigger pull.
Old 06-13-2019, 4:43 AM

Pretty much what everyone says that is wrong with converting an ak to saiga istrue.
Owning a 556 ak and 556 saiga I can say I rather have a dumb fin and alg trigher than another saiga.
Saiga trigger group is more complicated and has a properiteey bcc and trunnion, then I stupidly put a plum magpul zhukov handguard on there, its like holding up a 20 foot long and wet 2x4.
Old 06-13-2019, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The reason I want to convert/ de-evolve the rifle to have a saiga stock is without the thumb wrapping around the pistol grip i believe safe/efficient manipulation of the rifle goes way down. I just find the fin very intrusive on heavier rifles like ar10 and the ak.
Before you do anything rash, try one of these with your grip wrap:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1438801
That will get you a MUCH more solid grip by giving your thumb something to grip.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Agreed. The same applies to ARs. I suggest you wait to see how Resurgent Arms AK Grip version looks when it comes out. https://resurgentarms.com/collections
Old 06-13-2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Before you do anything rash, try one of these with your grip wrap:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1438801
That will get you a MUCH more solid grip by giving your thumb something to grip.
Hmmmmmmm I never thought of a thumb rest it might help with control .time to bust out some kydex and see what my cheap self can come up with ?🤔
Old 06-13-2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Agreed. The same applies to ARs. I suggest you wait to see how Resurgent Arms AK Grip version looks when it comes out. https://resurgentarms.com/collections
So i don't think my fingers are long enough to reach around the rear of the receiver to the trigger .
Old 06-13-2019, 4:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm I never thought of a thumb rest it might help with control
time to bust out some kydex and see what my cheap self can come up with ?��
Spend the $20 on the aluminum one.
It's totally worth it.
https://akthumbgrips.com/
Old 06-13-2019, 6:58 PM

apex has most the parts you need... very cheap

Old 06-15-2019, 3:25 PM

FDEF5EA0-8A48-49D8-A362-DFFDC5FDEBF7.jpg
While were on the subject,,, anybody know if the .308 saiga trigger setup would work in the x39 receivers? Looking at them I don’t see why not.,

The .308 uses a welded on extension (as opposed to the 4 piece x39) and doesn’t require the two extra pivot holes, only an extra slot extending from the grip cutout, (and the trigger guard moved) seems like an easier conversion
Old 06-16-2019, 8:00 AM

As someone who went down this rabbit hole I would advise not doing it. After converting to a saiga configuration I regretted it and scrapped the whole thing, rebuilding up a registered receiver going featureless.

You won't like it , I mean it worked but it had real limitations as compared to how a featureless trigger works and feels.
Old 06-16-2019, 9:02 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

Your best bet would simply be to sell your AK (it's probably worth more than an unconverted Saiga) and buy a Saiga.

More on this topic:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum//show....php?t=1466794
This ^^^