Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Default Opinions on price for Howa HCR and 6.5 Creedmoor in long run

Hello all,

I found a small local store selling brand new Howa HCR Rifle Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor 24 for $700(MSRP $1100). Would you guys think it is a good deal(like a must buy)? Since I never own a bolt action before, I am wondering on the cost for firearm and 6.5 ammo. I did research on price for 6.5 ammo vs 308/7.62, seems 6.5 is still the much more expensive choice. I have no goal or preference, just want a budget build that is capable for longer range shooting compare to my 556. Would you still recommend on buying this or I should wait for a deal for 308? I am satisfy with my current collection and just in case I may need a bolt action in the future. In another word, I have no pressure on purchase, but I would feel bad if missed a steal LOL... I have decent scope and does not plan to mod the firearm in the near future, a lot of my accessories are built by myself to save cost. Also I do not plan to reload. Just curious on what everyone's thinking on the price for this Howa HCR and 6.5 ammo cost in the long run.

Thank you for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21017.jpg (23.6 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by one little star; 06-04-2019 at 1:49 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 11:31 PM

The availability of 6.5 Creedmoor has improved markedly of late and prices are coming down. If longer range shooting is your goal, the high ballistic coefficient of readily available 6.5 projectiles offer some advantage. I've read that the 6.5 Creedmoor becomes subsonic at somewhere around 1200-1400 yards while the .308 will go subsonic around 1000 yards or so.

Were i to choose i would prefer the 6.5 over the .308 primarily as a result of the former's lighter recoil. They're certainly both tried and true / excellent calibers. If you enjoy longer shooting outings the recoil characteristics of the .308 can prove a bit daunting for some...i for one get a bit beat up by the .308. Everyone is different.

I would similarly advocate you consider reloading to further minimize cost while optimizing loads for your rifle.

That sounds like a very reasonable price for the rifle you've mentioned, and while i've heard Howa's can be a very good value, i've unfortunately not had the opportunity to shoot one.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 06-04-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Old 06-04-2019, 5:45 AM

I have a Howa 1500 Varmint in .223 and it's the second most "accurate" (I prefer the term "consistent shooting") rifle I own next to a CZ 457 in .17HMR. I've been very pleased with it but then again I haven't shot it past 100 yards just yet. I shoot primarily to improve my marksmanship skills for hunting so my definition of a good shooter may not be quite the same as yours. If I can get at or under 1 MOA I'm happy.

If you already have the gear, hand loading will help bring your per round cost down and you can improve the consistency of a rifle by hand loading. If you don't, a Rockchucker and all the other ancillary tools will likely set you back around $500 so you'd have to hand load a fair amount of ammo to offset the acquisition cost.
Old 06-04-2019, 6:16 AM

Don’t forget to factor in the cost of an optic for this “budget” rifle. It looks like a good deal, but will be closer to $1500 at least by the time it’s equipped with an appropriate scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one little star View Post
Hello all,

I found a small local store selling Howa HCR Rifle Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor 24 for $700(MSRP $1100). Would you guys think it is a good deal(like a must buy)? Since I never own a bolt action before, I am wondering on the cost for firearm and 6.5 ammo. I did research on price for 6.5 ammo vs 308/7.62, seems 6.5 is still the much more expensive choice. Would you still recommend on buying this or I should wait for a deal for 308? I am satisfy with my current collection and just in case I may need a bolt in the future. In another word, I have no pressure on purchase, but I would feel back if miss a steal LOL... Just curious on what everyone's thinking on this and 6.5 ammo cost in the long run.

Thank you for your input.
my 2 cents. 308 still has a LOT to offer. you need to take into account a whole picture when making this choice.

Whole picture...how often you shoot, how serious you will be getting into long distance. what long distance means to you. what distances you have available to practice. barrel life. your finances etc, etc.

Once doing that, 308 can make more sense for some over 6.5 creedmoor.

BUT...

If you want a 6.5 creedmoor, get a 6.5 creedmoor. simple want is as good a reason as any.

Or.

if you are serious about getting into long range (600+ yards) then it makes perfect sense to start out with the 6.5 creedmoor.

So for me...when I take into account the "whole picture" for me...308 beats out the 6.5 creedmoor. factors like I already have the 308, all I need to reload, supplies, barrel life, distances I have available to me to shoot, the distances I am interested in shooting, type of rifles and shooting I am currently interested in etc, etc, etc. for me 308 just makes sense and NOTHING 6.5 offers justifies my converting.

BUT that could change with interests "tomorrow".

bottom line...as I have said, want (curiosity) is all the reason you need IF you want to check out a cartridge.

But also factor in the "whole picture" and what that means for you may not be the same for me.

now should you buy the howa...sure why not. they have very good reputations. BUT weigh that against the possible future where you decide you want a different stock, different trigger, or other change to your rifle. In which case it may not make sense to buy a howa.
Old 06-05-2019, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post

308 still has a LOT to offer.

So for me...when I take into account the "whole picture" for me...308 beats out the 6.5 creedmoor.
+1.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor but don't own a rifle chambered for it because the 308 does EVERYTHING I'll ever need a rifle to do.

Last edited by riftol; 06-05-2019 at 6:24 AM..
Old 06-07-2019, 4:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am not crazy about the 6.5 creedmore precision shooting for 600+ yards mainly due to its additional cost over 308. My follow up question is (without additional accessories/scope) for $700 would it be a must buy deal? how you think of the price? Thank you
Old 06-07-2019, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The price as a rifle is good.
You can find Hornady American Gunner 6.5 creedmoor 140gr. As low as $139.99 for 200 rds. Match is over a dollar a rd. But so is good 308.
Old 06-11-2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one little star View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am not crazy about the 6.5 creedmore precision shooting for 600+ yards mainly due to its additional cost over 308. My follow up question is (without additional accessories/scope) for $700 would it be a must buy deal? how you think of the price? Thank you
What additional cost is there over the .308?

Is it ammo cost? I have found match 6.5 creed more to be more available over the last year or so.

The 6.5 is a sweet shooter and has lower recoil as well.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO View Post
What additional cost is there over the .308?
6.5 Creedmoor barrels wear out about 20-25% faster than 308 barrels.
This is a major concern for people who fire 50-200 rounds per year yet does not seem to bother people that fire 2000 to 10,000 rounds per year because the latter understand that barrels are consumables, just like ammo, while the former do not seem to.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC