Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-09-2019, 1:00 AM

Default Is A VP9 Too Big To Conceal Carry?

Hi Calgunners,

I know you can choose to conceal carry a VP9 and it's really whatever you feel you want to carry but is it objectively a little too big?

This question is not for guys who conceal carry full size pistols.

Thanks,
BLOODRUSHX4
Old 02-09-2019, 4:08 AM

It is for myself. I don't understand how the VP9 is classified as a compact. Barrel is 4.09" in length, with a full size grip. I CC the VP9sk, which works wonders for me.
Old 02-09-2019, 5:43 AM

I carry one but I'm 6' 1" and about 240. Are you a skinny little runt?

I also carry a Sig P227 which is much larger.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:48 PM

To me it’s all about clothing and good IWB holster, I am not a big guy, 5’4” 140lbs and I CC full size 1911, G17, G19, G20, HK-USP40, VP9 and Sig P229.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2019, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRushx4 View Post
Hi Calgunners,

I know you can choose to conceal carry a VP9 and it's really whatever you feel you want to carry but is it objectively a little too big?

Thanks,
BLOODRUSHX4
I do all the time. That said, I believe that CCW is a lifestyle choice that demands you change how you dress, act and interact with others. I wear loose fitting clothes when I CCW . I carry OWB strong side behind my hip using a untucked collared shirt over a T-shirt or a light jacket. PRINTING is not against the law and few people will ever notice. I wear shirts with patterns that break up the print usually.

For the record..my CCW pistols;
SiG P228
SiG P225
VP9
Glock 19
Colt Combat Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
It is for myself. I don't understand how the VP9 is classified as a compact. Barrel is 4.09" in length, with a full size grip. I CC the VP9sk, which works wonders for me.
The VP 9 has almost the exact Same dimensions as the Glock X19.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-09-2019 at 5:32 PM..
Old 02-09-2019, 5:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hi Calgunners,

Thanks,
BLOODRUSHX4
LOL whut? So basically, you aren’t asking for realz or being serious. Ok then.

Should only ladies who carry LCP answer?

Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are now just looking for some yes men to confirm your bias.

Old 02-09-2019, 5:58 PM

The question is about the objective size of the VP9 as I think it may be a tad big for CCW. Didn't want my thread to be trolled on by guys who carry full size because of course they would say it isn't big at all...look what I carry.

Sounds like you're an ******* trying to be a smart *******. Not looking for yes men. Looking for constructive feedback or insight as I've received before your insensitive comments.
Old 02-09-2019, 6:11 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The question is about the objective size of the VP9 as I think it may be a tad big for CCW. Didn't want my thread to be trolled on by guys who carry full size because of course they would say it isn't big at all...look what I carry.

Sounds like you're an ******* trying to be a smart *******. Not looking for yes men. Looking for constructive feedback or insight as I've received before your insensitive comments.
My EDC carry is a Kahr P380 or a Shield.
I occasionally carry a G30.

Depending on your build, clothing, and how critical it is that you avoid printing (such as print and get fired), no gun, or most guns may be a "tad big for CCW".

It's a little on the large size, certainly not a compact. To me, the grip length is an issue, but I carry at 2:30. Carrying back at 4:30, it may be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-09-2019, 7:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Wants to know if a full size gun is too big to carry, doesn’t want people who carry full size guns to answer. Not sure how that makes any sense, but mmmK

Quote:
Sounds like your hands are probably way too small for a VP9.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-09-2019 at 8:29 PM..
Old 02-09-2019, 8:30 PM

I carry Glock 17 almost exclusively everyday in a IWB holster. Nobody really notices it. My holster's belt clip is over the trigger area. So it does not stick out as much as the clip on the slide area. That little difference makes a lot in concealment.
Old 02-09-2019, 8:49 PM

Unless you want to adapt your clothing, a full-size weapon may not be easy or fun to carry. Its Shield or smaller for me, generally.
Old 02-09-2019, 8:53 PM

I Carry a VP9 regularly appendix IWB and find it's shape to conceal easier than other pistols similar in size. It's very comfortable.
Old 02-09-2019, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

In California, since we have a 10 round mag limit, it really comes down to what is comfortable and YOU shoot best. Guns like the 365 and G26 can hold 10 rounds on a very compact pistol. Or you can go the opposite way and carry a CZ SP-01 with the same 10 rounds. I choose to meet in the middle. Weight vs Capacity vs Concealability. There is a reason the Glock 19 is one of the most carried pistols. In free states you get a 15 round capacity in one of the most perfect size grips. Could be subjective, but you get the picture.
Old 02-10-2019, 4:43 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I carry a G19 virtually every day of the year, or at least half the year... I can't see why the VP9 would be all that different.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:33 AM

I'm sorry. Did we invade your "safe space"? You received an opinion from a few people. Guess you didn't really want it, you wanted someone to agree with you.
Quote:

Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Planning to look into AIWB holsters. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2019, 8:52 PM

It’s fine, not really any different from carrying a Glock 19. Use a good holster and belt.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 PM

I personally don't like to conceal carry a full size pistol all the time, but I will when the situation is appropriate, or if I just want to feel like the Terminator that day. Most of the time though I don't like to carry anything bigger than my HK USP 45 compact, which is a beefy pistol for being a compact. Think about where you're going, what you'll be doing and the comfort factor if you'll be out for an extended period of time.

I just bought a Springfield XDM 9mm compact for my primary concealed carry pistol, which is easily concealable with the 12 round mags, or if I want more capacity I can stick one of the extended 19 round mags in. Chances are extremely slim I'd ever need that many rounds, but if the zombie apocalypse kicks off when I'm out and about, it might be good to have.

Since you live in CA you're limited to 10 rounds, so really you may as well just get the smallest pistol you like which holds 10 rounds and call it good. I personally would get a shield 9mm and install the mag guts kits which give you 10 rounds, and you'll have an easily concealable, excellent shooting pocket pistol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk