Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-14-2019, 4:55 AM

Default Anyone here work for DMV?

Just saw a job posting and would love to find out more about from someone in the role on what the job entails beyond the general description provided as well as the work environment.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:59 AM

Beyond what you wrote.. do you think you could be a bit more descriptive. There are many jobs for the DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 6:45 AM

Apologies for the confusion. This is an investigative role which has a POST 832 certified requirement since the position is a law enforcement centric position.
Old 03-14-2019, 6:46 AM

I’m assuming since you posted in the LEO section, you’re referring to DMV investigators?

***edit, one min late
Old 03-14-2019, 6:52 AM

No one works at the DMV. Just sayin'...
Old 03-14-2019, 7:08 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
No one works at the DMV. Just sayin'...
Hence, my interest! ;-)

All kidding aside, the role appears interesting for an individual that is interested in a law enforcement related field but perhaps can't hack it as a field cop working irregular shifts.
Old 03-14-2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
All kidding aside, the role appears interesting for an individual that is interested in a law enforcement related field but perhaps can't hack it as a field cop working irregular shifts.
Be sure to them that when you ask them for info/advice...
Old 03-14-2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
Be sure to them that when you ask them for info/advice...
I should clarify that in addition to having to do graveyards, I'm just not interested in dealing with certain aspects of the job such as writing people tickets and/or respond to noise complaints. The street cop thing is great but it's definitely not mine thing. Not sure of your background but if you're a street cop, don't you want a colleague that wants to be there and do the job?

If that's not what they're looking for, best to understand that now before both sides have invested time and money into the process.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I should clarify that in addition to having to do graveyards, I'm just not interested in dealing with certain aspects of the job such as writing people tickets and/or respond to noise complaints. The street cop thing is great but it's definitely not mine thing. Not sure of your background but if you're a street cop, don't you want a colleague that wants to be there and do the job?

If that's not what they're looking for, best to understand that now before both sides have invested time and money into the process.
I agree, investigations into dealership fraud are so much more exciting!
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I agree, investigations into dealership fraud are so much more exciting!
If I somehow conveyed that excitement is what I'm looking for, that would be inaccurate.

No disrespect to the street cops, but it's simply not my thing. To the guys who love it, that's awesome and it's great you love what you do. Different things for different people and all that jazz.....
Old 03-14-2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:

My point, which admittedly I didn't make clear, was that your choice of verbiage in your other post ("can't hack it as a field cop") could easily be received poorly (**** talking) by those people from whom you may be trying to get help... Your post quoted above is IMO a nicer way of putting it.

FWIW, I haven't worked all that many LE assignments but I have a very strong feeling that there are always less than ideal factors, circumstances, conditions, etc - different jobs just have different headaches. I have plenty and I happen to have my dream job...

I don't know for sure but I think each DMV has a group of investigators assigned to it, you might be able to just walk in and ask to speak to one of them in the office (if they aren't out handling something in the field)...

Last edited by Samuelx; 03-14-2019 at 5:33 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 5:34 PM

You think anyone would actually ADMIT to working at the DMV on here?!? Zero chance lol!
Old 03-14-2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterclick View Post
You think anyone would actually ADMIT to working at the DMV on here?!? Zero chance lol!

Lol good point. Their inbox would be bombarded with

"hey can you help a fellow cg member with getting a point removed...."

I also saw another position that looks similar except it's with the insurance commissioner office. All the state investigation jobs look interesting except ca doj but Google doesn't seem to pull up much anywhere so I figured I'd try here.
Old 03-14-2019, 6:22 PM

They do get to purchase off roster firearms.. but always remember they are Tier 2 individuals..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 6:33 PM

I'm just razzing you a bit OP... There are so many different types of LE work that it is foolish for anyone to just apply for any/all available job openings without considering what type of work and where they would actually be happy.. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get your foot in the door or put food on the table; but if you have a choice do your best to make the correct one!

I was just going to suggest looking at Dept. of Insurance jobs.... If you want a more 8-5 investigative type gig either of those would probably be my top choices off the top of my head.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-14-2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
My point, which admittedly I didn't make clear, was that your choice of verbiage in your other post ("can't hack it as a field cop") could easily be received poorly (**** talking) by those people from whom you may be trying to get help... Your post quoted above is IMO a nicer way of putting it.

FWIW, I haven't worked all that many LE assignments but I have a very strong feeling that there are always less than ideal factors, circumstances, conditions, etc - different jobs just have different headaches. I have plenty and I happen to have my dream job...

I don't know for sure but I think each DMV has a group of investigators assigned to it, you might be able to just walk in and ask to speak to one of them in the office (if they aren't out handling something in the field)...
DMV does not have investigators assigned to each office. But, they do have regional staff which are usually in an off site location. Sometimes they work with task forces.
Old 03-14-2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
.....I was just going to suggest looking at Dept. of Insurance jobs.... If you want a more 8-5 investigative type gig either of those would probably be my top choices off the top of my head.
No offense taken. I just wanted to clarify I'm not talking down to the street cops. I tip my hat to you guys as it's a brutal grind and I'm just not at a point in my life where I want to do something that doesn't require so much sacrifice both physically and mentally. I have a friend that has only been on the job for 8yrs and he already has serious back issues due to his work belt being too heavy.

I'm blessed in that I don't need money or have to use this as a stepping stone to some other job. A 9-5 investigative job is really all I envision wanting to do albeit that can change once/if I get the job. Someone else mentioned this being "tier 2" and I'm perfectly content with that.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post
DMV does not have investigators assigned to each office. But, they do have regional staff which are usually in an off site location. Sometimes they work with task forces.
Copy that Spanky, thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 PM

My only encounters with DMV investigators is that every couple of months they spend an entire day watching handicapped parking spaces and write misdemeanor citations for misused handicapped placards under 4461VC. For some reason, people donít wise up when they see a pop-up tent with people wearing DMV jackets, and those people are walking up to every car in the handicapped spaces.
Old 03-15-2019, 2:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The dmv investigators that I know of all came from a street type law enforcement background. As that is where you learn a lot about investigating things etc.
Old 03-15-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
your post
Ben, that seems like a logical path. Do you know if any of them are in NorCal and open to the idea of chatting with someone that's interested in the career path?
Old 03-15-2019, 3:17 PM

Call the contact person listed on the JOB Posting. BTW I see nothing open now for DMV INV.
Old 03-15-2019, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
My only encounters with DMV investigators is that every couple of months they spend an entire day watching handicapped parking spaces and write misdemeanor citations for misused handicapped placards under 4461VC. For some reason, people don’t wise up when they see a pop-up tent with people wearing DMV jackets, and those people are walking up to every car in the handicapped spaces.
That's their statewide initiative.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...l/2017/2017_96

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
The dmv investigators that I know of all came from a street type law enforcement background. As that is where you learn a lot about investigating things etc.
^ This

It will be very, very difficult for you to obtain the position when competing against seasoned "street cops". State LE positions in general are very hard to get into. You don't even stand a chance in other investigator positions, state or local. Take a look at a bunch of the DCA positions for quals and you'll get a general understanding. You've gotta put in the time first, buddy.

You can always try the FBI. They're as white collar investigations as it gets and hire green, college grads out the gate. I'm sure you have more to offer.

Also, if you believe that DMV Inv's aren't in dangerous roles, you'd be mistaken. What comes through the mail? Drugs, weapons, bombs, etc... White collar crimes have a tendency to attract crime syndicates. What do you think happens when you unexpectedly stumble upon one of those in the midst of tackling your heavy caseload?

Last edited by code_blue; 03-15-2019 at 3:51 PM..
Old 03-15-2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
......It will be very, very difficult for you to obtain the position when competing against seasoned "street cops". State LE positions in general are very hard to get into. You don't even stand a chance in other investigator positions, state or local. Take a look at a bunch of the DCA positions for quals and you'll get a general understanding. You've gotta put in the time first, buddy........

Also, if you believe that DMV Inv's aren't in dangerous roles, you'd be mistaken. What comes through the mail? Drugs, weapons, bombs, etc... White collar crimes have a tendency to attract crime syndicates. What do you think happens when you unexpectedly stumble upon one of those in the midst of tackling your heavy caseload?
Probably so but i'm betting not many street cops want to go and be a state LE/investigator hence, the bountiful openings at insurance/consumer affairs/etc(it does appear dmv has closed the position). As others here have insinuated, state LE appears to be regarded as a "Tier 2" position and the openings support this.

I'm not concerned about danger; it's a lifestyle choice.

Thanks everyone for the dialogue.
Old 03-15-2019, 6:29 PM

DOI, DOJ, and DMV INV positions
Open and close all the time. If your interested call the contact on the posting for starters. Don't be shy; ask. They are all particular and are all looking for good candidates. Toss your hat into the ring and go for it; if you want.

FTW I work for DOI Not!
Old 03-15-2019, 7:09 PM

I called and the person was pretty clueless and passed me to someone else. I threw in an app for the insurance position and will see what happens. I don't transition out of my current job for a few months and not in a rush to jump into something else.