Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-11-2018, 2:02 PM

Default BIG AFRICAN GAME VS. 6.5 CREEDMOOR?! Does it have the "stopping power?"

The 6.5 Creedmoor has been around for years and gained popularity in the Long Range Precision competition circuit due to it's fast muzzle velocity, flat trajectory, and high BC.

It didn't take long for this caliber to explode in the hunting scene. However, many hunters are concerned such a small caliber doesn't have the "stopping power" to ethically hunt Elk, Moose, etc.

While I agree that there is less margin for error (vs .300 WM, .30-06, etc), a hunter should know his capability and only use this caliber on big game if he/she is confident in shot placement ability.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/aHFER5qChuw
Old 09-11-2018, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

People take LOTS of game in Africa with a .270 Rem or a good old 30-06....

Now there are a lot of big critters in Africa where a bigger caliber is needed...

We are talking about a humane hunt after all

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 09-11-2018, 2:27 PM

Absolutely correct! I wouldn't recommend a 6.5 for a Cape Buffalo for example

Humane should be the only way! Poor European Hunters are lucky to hit the poor animal at all! Saw a tragic hunt in Serbia in Nov... Spanish guy couldn't hit anything..
Old 09-11-2018, 4:24 PM

Having taken a bunch of plains game in Africa with a .30-06, here are my thoughts.

In my somewhat uninformed opinion since I've never shot one, creedmoor is too small for kudu, oryx, zebra, eland and waterbuck, all of which are pretty big, tough animals. It took me three shots in the vitals to bring down a zebra, a kudu and an oryx, each of which was hit in the vitals at less than 100 yards. Not saying it can't be done with a smaller caliber, but it's probably not wise. If I had it to do over again, I might use a .300 Win Mag instead of a .30-06 for these critters.

In all likelihood your PH (professional hunter) won't let you shoot dangerous game (lion, cape buffalo, hippo, elephant) with a creedmoor because it lacks enough stopping power. For those you want at least a .375.

Creedmoor would be fine for smaller plains game like impala, springbok, waterbuck, warthog, bushbuck, blesbok, dik-dik, hartebeest, wildebeest, etc. Be prepared to watch a wildebeest run off after getting shot in the heart. You can guess how I know this.

If your shot placement is perfect, it's possible to kill anything with a centerfire rifle of any caliber, but IMHO it's better to have a little too much gun than too little gun.

If you do a hunt in Africa, you should ask the PH for caliber and bullet recommendations. In Namibia, for example, there are legally mandated minimum energy requirements for certain kinds of game.
Old 09-11-2018, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Jack--you might have had better results had you used a better bullet. Core-lock will work but a Nosler PAR or Swift A-Frame works better. My daughter took Kudu, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest all with one shot each, no tracking, at ranges from 150 to 300 yards with a 257R using 120gr A-Frames.
I went back in 2017 and took quite a number of animals using the 120gr A-Frames in a 257W.
I also used a 338win mag and got the same results ------dead animals with one shot.
If I get to go back I want to take my 264win mag or , if I buy one, a 6.5X300W. They would be using A-Frames. The Creedmoor will do fine IF you use top tier bullets and beware of the distance you are shooting.

This is my thoughts on the matter and you get exactly what you paid for them.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Not recommended.

African animals have different anatomy than our American Deer and Antelope. On a springbok or Kudu, that classic behind the shoulder heart/lung shot is a gut-shot. This means that on most African animals, you need to bust through both shoulders to get a heart/lung shot.

On an 800# zebra or a #600 kudu, you really should be using a premium bullet 160 grains or better with a good diameter. Basically, because of the shoulder shot required to hit vitals on African game, sectional density really matters when hunting in Africa. This is why big/slow calibers are favored over small/fast calibers in that environment (unlike deer hunting here).

People can and do kill all African plains game with well placed shots from lighter bullets from smaller calibers (mainly TV, magazine, and vendor reps pimping products), but you are really taking chances with a $12,000 investment in a hunting trip by using "marginal" calibers. Why set yourself up for possible failure on a less-than-optimal shot opportunity? Don't you owe it to the animals, your PH, and yourself to use a caliber that increases your odds of success?

A PH on the East Cape told me about an American Hunting show that contracted him for a hunt. They were using a sponsor's rifle in 6.5 Creed to hunt the usual plains game. He said they wounded several animals (even with well placed shots) and spent a great deal of their time tracking wounded animals. When the show aired, the editing made everything look like quick one-shot kills.

Although calibers like 6.5 and even .243 are great for many of the smaller species up to and including impala, I have never met a PH in Africa that recommends ANYTHING under .270 for a mixed bag plains game hunt.

As a hunting community (probably due to the cable TV hunting shows), Americans have become unnecessarily obsessed with attempting to kill animals with tiny bullets at outrageous distances. Or, using target bullets for hunting purposes. This is unfortunate.

Last edited by desert dog; 09-13-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Not recommended.

/snip/

As a hunting community (probably due to the cable TV hunting shows), Americans have become unnecessarily obsessed with attempting to kill animals with tiny bullets at outrageous distances. Or, using target bullets for hunting purposes. This is unfortunate.
I agree.
Old 09-14-2018, 6:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We used .270 Winchester and .300 WSM on our plains game hunt, the only animals requiring a follow up were the Red Hartebeast (poorly placed shot) and the Livingston Eland, it was dead on its feet but still moving.
Old 09-14-2018, 6:48 AM

If I was paying that much money for an African hunt, I'd be taking at least something in the 30-06 equivalent or bigger.
Old 09-14-2018, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why not a bigger caliber OP? It's not like you shoot a lot of rounds when you hunt, recoil is not an issue.

.30-06 minimum for Africa IMO, unless you're loading a special hunting round and/or really know what you're doing.
Old 09-14-2018, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder how many of the answers are from arm-chair quarterbacks who 1) have never hunted 2) have only killed a few animals 3) have never hunted Africa 4) have not hunted Africa using a rifle smaller than 30cal to really KNOW if they will work.

Please to not get butt-hurt about the above statement. I am not pointing fingers or putting anyone down. EVERYONE is initialed to their OPINION and that is all it really is. Even for those that have used a smaller caliber/cartridge.

Myself and my daughter have used 257R/257W/30-06 and 338win mag on 2 trips where we shot a lot of game(much we did not have to pay for) in South Africa. Large and small PG were taken and all with one shot and little(80 yards max) to no (dropped when shot) tracking. All except one wart hog I shot.
I shot it with my 338win mag and 225gr Swift A-Frames(one out of about 20) that was a running shot(no sticks) at 275yards which I made a poor hit on. Tracked it for about an hour all over heck but finally shot and killed it. Not the gun or cartridge fault.
My daughter used a 257R and took more that 15 animals and all were one shot no tracking kills.

Using the above examples one might conclude that the 257R is a better choice and more deadly/"knock down power" cartridge than the 338win mag. Both used Swift A-Frames which are very hard to beat if you know anything about bullets and both were very accurate loaded to max levels. So much for opinions Both cartridges as well as the 257W and 30-06 did well killing everything they were shot with. People need to concern themselves with 1) using the proper bullet for the game hunted and cartridge used and 2) correct bullet placement. All that said "I" will not use a 6mm or 22cal cartridge for anything except the smallest animals in Africa and since I can only take 2 with me one will be my 338win mag and the other will be 25cal or larger for PG. If I get to go back again I plan to take the 338win mag and either my 264winmag or(if I get it in time) a 6.5X300Weatherby and I will be shooting Swift A-Frames or maybe Barnes TTSX again.

This is not to insult anyone and especially those that have hunted Africa. Now DG is a whole different discussion. I would feel best with a 155mm when hunting them
Old 09-15-2018, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

so are you saying if I shoot swift a frames in my 6.5 creed with or with out the man bun I can kill African plains game no problem with well placed shots ?
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 09-15-2018, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Not sure about the "man bun" but yes and it has been done for many years by those shooting the 6.5X55 which is basically the same FPS and such. The well placed shots go for all shooting.
How is the loading for that 7mag going?
Old 09-18-2018, 7:57 AM

Also be mindful that some popular hunting destinations in Africa have minimum caliber/energy requirements. Your 6.5mm or 270 would not be legal for hunting Class B or C plains game in Zimbabwe or Namibia, where they have a 7mm (.284) minimum.

Just something else to consider.