Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default L.A. County Fair 2018

Before heading to the LA County Fair this morning I called the Fairplex Security Office regarding Off Duty LEO / 417. I was pleasantly surprised when a live person answered the phone. I was even more surprised, nay astonished when the Security person said "No problem. Badge them at the Metal Detectors and you will be taken to show creds to Pomona PD."

I did just that, but the first security guard I talked to tried to turn me away. I politely said that I had confirmed it was OK with the Fairplex Security. He walked me over to a couple of nice PPD officers and they looked at my creds and said "Thanks, Have fun."

When you always expect a hassle and clueless runaround, this kind of stuff can really make your day. There was also an unexpectedly high number of cool displays, especially video game and Halloween displays. Fairplex seems to be upping their game!

Later in the day, my S/O left her wallet behind on one of those 25 cent foot vibrator machines. At least 30 mins passed before it was realized to be missing. Of course I say "It is long gone. Start cancelling the cards, and the cash will be a loss."

We sort of forlornly retrace path back to the foot massage spot. Some dude is there waving the wallet around trying to find the owner. We recover it, nothing at all missing. I offer the guy a reward and he pleasantly declines, happy to have reunited the property to its owner.

Just when you have written off society and cast all hope asunder, something like this happens.

Go figure.
Old 09-03-2018, 2:29 AM

Nice! I told the wife i want to go just for a few hours and look at what they’re displaying in the hangars this year. It’s highly unlikely since I’m still on crutches and she’s almost 7 months pregnant.
Old 09-03-2018, 5:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
We sort of forlornly retrace path back to the foot massage spot. Some dude is there waving the wallet around trying to find the owner. We recover it, nothing at all missing. I offer the guy a reward and he pleasantly declines, happy to have reunited the property to its owner.
Sad commentary when doing the right thing is so shocking.
Decades ago I read a saying "Honor is a man's gift unto himself" and it struck a cord with me. I try to live my life with that saying in mind.
It's very self-rewarding to do nice things for others (or just for the world in general) without expecting rewards or accolades.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daorozco86 View Post
Nice! I told the wife i want to go just for a few hours and look at what they’re displaying in the hangars this year. It’s highly unlikely since I’m still on crutches and she’s almost 7 months pregnant.
That certainly complicates things. Not to mention it is HOT out there. There were so many people (all ages and sizes) riding around on “mobility devices” that it felt like the Grand Prix.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Sad commentary when doing the right thing is so shocking.
Decades ago I read a saying "Honor is a man's gift unto himself" and it struck a cord with me. I try to live my life with that saying in mind.
It's very self-rewarding to do nice things for others (or just for the world in general) without expecting rewards or accolades.
Indeed. I told the guy that he just made a huge deposit into his good karma account.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Did the guy with the wallet work there or was he a patron?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 AM
On The Edge
CGN Contributor

Good to hear positive results.
Will Ice -T be appearing?
-g
Old 09-03-2018, 5:54 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
Did the guy with the wallet work there or was he a patron?
He said he was the maintenance guy for the foot massage machines, although he wasn’t wearing any type of uniform. Either way saved our bacon..
Old 09-03-2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
He said he was the maintenance guy for the foot massage machines, although he wasn’t wearing any type of uniform. Either way saved our bacon..
Oh. If he was a readily identifiable employee, an email or such to the powers that be describing his actions would be nice.
Old 09-03-2018, 6:11 PM

Wow....good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2018, 9:57 PM

I am retired and was offered a professional courtesy at the Liberty Cruise in New York, and "Sears Tower" in Chicago in 2016. They both checked my retired credentials and said "thank you, have a nice day." I was even taken to the front of the line.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:39 PM

My faith in humanity has partially been restored.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 PM

The CA State Fair at Cal Expo also allows off duty to carry. Just notify the security check in folk, they'll call up State Fair Police or any of the other departments present to check your ID, sign off a form, and off you go.
Old 09-07-2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
The CA State Fair at Cal Expo also allows off duty to carry. Just notify the security check in folk, they'll call up State Fair Police or any of the other departments present to check your ID, sign off a form, and off you go.
“State fair police?”

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Trump’s SCOTUS: 2 / Dems: 0
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-07-2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
“State fair police?”
The Cal Expo PD is a small department and then a bunch of uniformed and UC officers from neighboring departments work the state fair as an off-duty gig to make up security at the state fair. That make more sense? Haha.
Old 09-08-2018, 8:08 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
“State fair police?”
Old 09-08-2018, 8:35 PM

Nice story! Nice to hear some people are still being brought up right!
Old 09-14-2018, 9:53 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Haven't been to that fair since the late 1990s while working Walnut/San Dimas (I know, San Dimas is not part of that anymore). We were told then the gang problem there was a problem. I decided my family and I didn't need to be there. It's great things have improved.

Bobby, you should write an atta boy for the employee. You know how many of those it takes to get rid of one "aw s***."
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Haven't been to that fair since the late 1990s while working Walnut/San Dimas (I know, San Dimas is not part of that anymore). We were told then the gang problem there was a problem. I decided my family and I didn't need to be there. It's great things have improved.
We quit going in the 80s when it was getting bad. If they stayed in the midway ok but they were running around the whole fair in big groups punching and pushing people. Probably still not a place you want to go after dark.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 AM

The fair is pretty good these days. Plenty of Pomona PD and security. Sure, the occasional drunk fight, but overall, very few incidents.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Before heading to the LA County Fair this morning I called the Fairplex Security Office regarding Off Duty LEO / 417. I was pleasantly surprised when a live person answered the phone. I was even more surprised, nay astonished when the Security person said "No problem. Badge them at the Metal Detectors and you will be taken to show creds to Pomona PD."
Someone should call and ask if they will show the same respect to CCW holders.

It's really interesting seeing all the stuff people hide in the bushes right outside the main gate.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 PM

I went to the fair past Wednesday for the first time in my life. I had to secure my pistol in my car. They had metal detectors and wand. They said only on-duty officers are allowed to arm at the fair.

What is odd was that they had Marines from Camp Pendleton and 29 Palms man some metal detectors.
Old 09-15-2018, 9:56 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Someone should call and ask if they will show the same respect to CCW holders.

It's really interesting seeing all the stuff people hide in the bushes right outside the main gate.
I nominate you.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I went to the fair past Wednesday for the first time in my life. I had to secure my pistol in my car. They had metal detectors and wand. They said only on-duty officers are allowed to arm at the fair.
I went to the San Diego County Fair last year and they were perfectly fine with me carrying (and I'm not even from their county)! Pretty much bullsh1t if our own county won't let us carry (and it's also crap that they can't get their act together and be consistent about that)!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
I went to the San Diego County Fair last year and they were perfectly fine with me carrying (and I'm not even from their county)! Pretty much bullsh1t if our own county won't let us carry (and it's also crap that they can't get their act together and be consistent about that)!
I'll bet 5 different LEO's would have 5 different experiences at the gate. Micro911 appears to have had the exact opposite experience I had. No consistency, as you say.

Every time I walk through that underground tunnel, I have a crystal clear recollection of how the Pomona Gun Show looked at the entrance as you exit the tunnel. Guns, ammo, and militaria everywhere. It was so big that you couldnt see it all in one day. In the 1980's, when Russia had invaded Afghanistan, there were fundraiser / donation booths all over the fair encouraging people to donate money to help the "muhajidin" who were fighting the Russians in those cold war days.

As they say, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."
Old 09-16-2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
I'll bet 5 different LEO's would have 5 different experiences at the gate. Micro911 appears to have had the exact opposite experience I had. No consistency, as you say.

Every time I walk through that underground tunnel, I have a crystal clear recollection of how the Pomona Gun Show looked at the entrance as you exit the tunnel. Guns, ammo, and militaria everywhere. It was so big that you couldnt see it all in one day. In the 1980's, when Russia had invaded Afghanistan, there were fundraiser / donation booths all over the fair encouraging people to donate money to help the "muhajidin" who were fighting the Russians in those cold war days.

As they say, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."
I miss Pomona Gun Show.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:

I did just that, but the first security guard I talked to tried to turn me away. I politely said that I had confirmed it was OK with the Fairplex Security. He walked me over to a couple of nice PPD officers and they looked at my creds and said "Thanks, Have fun..."
This is what I did last year with the family. Good to hear it hasn't changed. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-17-2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post

Bobby, you should write an atta boy for the employee. You know how many of those it takes to get rid of one "aw s***."
Around 2010 or so while I was working the San Dimas FS, the fair decided that they would have $1 admission on opening day to break all the records. Yeah, guess what. We had 2 copters practically on rotation flying stabbing victims out along with Lifeflight cycling in and out. Our squad and the Pomona squad and LaVerne were staged there. That didn't include people that self transported to Pomona Valley Hosp. Within a couple hours we received a phone call from the dispatch duty chief that any media requests we received were to be referred to the Fairplex media office. The guys said it was ridiculous when things finally calmed down and they cleared from the Fairplex.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post

What is odd was that they had Marines from Camp Pendleton and 29 Palms man some metal detectors.
Personally and this is just me, I would have turned around and left. I secured my gun in my vehicle years before at a concert at Irvine Meadows. I had won some tickets to attend. I had no idea, one, I would not be permitted in with my off duty and two, they had no gun lockers for armed off duty personnel (I was still on the dept. at the time). I figured it was because they served beer and obviously it didn't make a difference that I don't drink since they have no way to insure that.

I worried about a break in during the whole concert and vowed never to do that again. I especially wouldn't do it at the Pomona Fair grounds due to the amount of dirtbags that show up who have an opportunity to stroll thru the parking lot looking for cars to 459.

I remember those days at the Gun Show Bobby. Exactly as you described it and I miss it. I know it will never return either, not with the BOS makeup and all the left winger anti gun types who would protest if it was announced it was returning.
Old 09-23-2018, 2:18 PM

About a year or so ago, one of my partners and his wife went to a concert at the Inglewood Forum. He couldn't carry so he left his handgun and badge/creds in the car, along with work keys and other misc stuff. His car got broken into and a bag fun of stuff, including his firearm and badge/creds got taken. He didn't realize it until he was driving away and reached under to rearm himself. Scumbags had popped the rear portion of one of the front door handles to gain entry (and then pushed it back in) and had probably been casing the parking lot, watching people exit their vehicles.

Just went to the fair a couple of hours ago. Supervisor at the gate called for a Pomona PD officer to come check my work ID - a few minutes delay but otherwise no problems entering and carrying...
Old 09-28-2018, 8:23 AM

I went to Santa Monica pier on Tuesday. It's been several years since I have been there. They had an event going on. They had metal detectors, but they let me get in with my credentials. However, parking was $25. I don't know if it is every day thing or just for the event.

Last edited by micro911; 09-30-2018 at 4:04 PM..