Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Default IDPA magazines

Hello,

gearing up for IDPA SSP. Wondering if I could use a 17-round "standard-capacity" Glock magazine and load it with 11 rounds for 10+1 as a starter mag?

My guess is that this isn't allowed, but I want to make sure.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

It is allowed as start is 10+1. Magazine capacity rules go into effect once the buzzer goes off. At the buzzer you'd have 1 in the chamber and 10 in the magazine which is what the rules say, nothing on how to get there.

Just make sure you don't mix it up and have 11 rounds in one of your other mags.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Hello,

gearing up for IDPA SSP. Wondering if I could use a 17-round "standard-capacity" Glock magazine and load it with 11 rounds for 10+1 as a starter mag?

Many of us use a "Barney" (Fife) magazine loaded with 11 rounds to start in SSP division.

Just make sure you mark the bottom of the mag well and remember to NEVER put it into your mag carriers on your belt...you will get a procedural penalty if you use a 10 rnd mag and thereby start with 9+1 in the pistol. If you end up using the "Barney" mag later in the stage.. that's another procedural penalty for loading a mag with more than 10 rounds into the gun.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-01-2018, 6:14 PM

All you have to remember for ESP/SSP is that if the gun is loaded to division capacity then it's 10+1 (in the chamber). If you are starting the stage and the gun is unloaded but the magazine is division capacity then it's 10 in the magazine.
Old 11-01-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Hello,

that's how it's done in the rest of the USA

people in free states don't buy 10 round mags to shoot IDPA
Old 11-02-2018, 8:01 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Hello,

What you're describing is legal assuming that the start position is gun loaded to division capacity. Personally, to keep things straight, I use a "barney" magazine loaded with one round to "top off".
Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Thank you all for the responses, but I'm still not 100% sold. So it's legal in California to use magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds in competition as long as they are not loaded with more than 10 or (starter mag) 11 rounds?
Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses, but I'm still not 100% sold. So it's legal in California to use magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds in competition as long as they are not loaded with more than 10 or (starter mag) 11 rounds?
CA has nothing to do with how you fill your competition magazines. IDPA rules is what matters.

In regards to CA pre-ban magazines are OK to own and use for now. Post ban, not.
Old 11-03-2018, 8:55 AM

Standard cap mags still legal in CA assuming you have owned since 2000

As a CSO I can tell you that start at 11 for first mag is 100% fine - as everyone else says, don’t mix up with reload mag - some shooters mention it to me at “load and make ready” but most don’t.

Steve