Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 88 8.33%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 696 65.85%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 24 2.27%
I paid too much for my Membership! 47 4.45%
They will go out of business this year! 31 2.93%
Don't want anything to do with them! 171 16.18%
Voters: 1057. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bill Kapeles is a buddy of mine and a stand up instructor. He's DG'ed the rifle class w/his nighthawk. ahha
Old 04-23-2012, 8:28 PM

Heading to the handgun advanced tactical on May 30th. One of the prequisites for the Master Prep. Mossberg made the Master Prep class sound like something that will really help my shooting plus be a lot of fun. Looking foreward to it.
Old 04-24-2012, 7:46 PM

John,
Instead of standing square in the middle of the target when faced towards you, be standing slight to your left so that you can slightly see a "partial" target.

The targets turn counter clockwise to face and clock wise to return to edged. If you're slightly off set to the left you'll see your target sooner as it turns into you and have an .1 or .2 sec. longer usable target duration . Believe me a quarter second is measureable and noticable when working at the speeds required to pass the Advanced Test and approach Master Test speeds.
I hope this clears it up some.
Enzo, make sure you can access your gun while it's in the holster with your support side hand and present it. Give me a call and we'll meet up and I'll get you turned up. And NO mag wells allowed in the Master Test if you want your score to count.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 04-24-2012, 9:16 PM

Thanks Mossberg. Will call you. Planning on using the glock 35 in tac class. Do not have a good holster, what do you suggest for gear? Are we allowed to carry our competition mag pouches and a comp belt?
Old 04-25-2012, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
ah ok. now i understand. they did away with turning targets. i think too many newbies were blasting them to bits.
That may be, I've heard a few of the instructors give a couple of other reasons though.

The turning targets are present on Phase 1 ranges (1A~E, 2-8 I believe) but aren't used for the basic classes (2 and 4-day defensive) due to maintenance cost (they break down often). There are just so many students going through the basic defensive classes they don't want to spend the time and money to keep them up and running. So, they only use them for the advanced courses.

A second reason is that they haven't installed turners on the Phase 2 ranges (10+) because there isn't any electrical power out at those ranges yet. Since days 3 and 4 of the basic classes are held on the phase 2 ranges they don't want to change things up halfway through the basic 4-day class.
Old 04-25-2012, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo357 View Post
Thanks Mossberg. Will call you. Planning on using the glock 35 in tac class. Do not have a good holster, what do you suggest for gear? Are we allowed to carry our competition mag pouches and a comp belt?
Many people in the class use open top XD mag holsters
If you can use that, I don't see why you can't use IPSC style...
Old 04-25-2012, 3:02 PM

a father and son who DG in my handgun skills builder class used CR Speed belts. I say IPSC belts and mag pouches are fine. I am not sure if Front Sight allows IPSC race gun holsters. Probably not.

Last edited by agent.5; 04-25-2012 at 3:08 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 8:05 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Default Full Auto at Lunch time

Looks like they've started a new thing during lunch.

Shoot a M16 or full auto Uzi!

$30 per mag on the M-16
$20 or $25 per mag on the Uzi.
Old 04-25-2012, 8:16 PM

Thanks for the rig info. Appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2012, 8:21 PM

Moreover, I have seen a lot of Bladetech DOH as well. So, I think Front Sight's holster rules are more generous than IDPA.
Old 04-25-2012, 9:00 PM

I'm going out to FS for the 4 day defensive hand gun course on May 18. Is anyone else going? It'll be my first time to FS, any advice for a first timer?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramathorn View Post
I'm going out to FS for the 4 day defensive hand gun course on May 18. Is anyone else going? It'll be my first time to FS, any advice for a first timer?
Check the first post on this thread.
Old 04-26-2012, 6:20 AM

Enzo, your comp belt and pouches should be GTG however, I'd use a BladeTech Black Ice holster like the Swede has. Worst case, you buy a suitable BladeTech @ FS...like I did during FSHCM Prep class.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Just booked a trip to do the 2 day Tactical Shotgun class on June 4-5th. Anyone else gonna be around? I'm going with 2 other friends so I'll be looking for someone to shoot with.
Old 04-27-2012, 9:41 PM

OMG....SG in JUNE!!!!??? It's gonna be HOT-HOT-HOT. I am like so smiling right now, cuz I don't have to out in that kind of weather anymore if I don't wanna....
J/K a 2 day shouldn't be too bad, but will be really warm (triple digits are not uncommon that time of year). The worst I ever had to endure was 117 in October, teaching the 4 day DSG.
I can't wait until they install the environmental dome over the property and make it perfect all year long, you know like the model in the classroom by the Pro Shop....Ok not really, I'm just pleased as punch we got flushing toilets on phase one now....and that it has A/C.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

October has 117 degree weather!!!!???????? I was planning on going in October hoping that the summer heat would be over by then.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Blackhawk, that was one day during a four day. The rest of the time it was 100 to 102.
It's doesn't really cool down in the Pahrump Valley until November. You may experience weather simular to Frenso area in October. If you can handle that, you'll be fine.
As always, one year doesn't predict a future year, you could get a cold snap and have moderate temps in the 80's
In CA. October is a Santa Ana/Red Flag month, lots or wild fires, hot and windy, this part of NV is not that much different.
Because of the low humidity the temp doesn't really become an issue until you crest 105 or 6. Really. I worked out there for 5 years. What sounds oppressive isn't all that bad.
Proper hydration (drinking alot and drinking enough are too diffent things) and rest periods will keep you alert and enjoying the class.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anybody at front sight this weekend? I'm here trying for a pistol dg this weekend
Sorry, NEXT w/e !

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Weather is perfect this weekend. Hopefully I'll knock DG out of the park
Good luck!

I have Pres Rifl next week, wife has 4 day HG

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 05-05-2012, 3:33 PM

Membership Type: Diamond
Membership Date: Mar 12
Courses Taken: None yet
Next Course: 4DDH
Old 05-07-2012, 1:34 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Default National Take Your Daughter to the Range Day, June 9

Old 05-22-2012, 6:08 PM

Was at FS this past week, and completed the 4-day Def. Handgun course.

I found their instruction to be decent, and I think I left with what I wanted, which was more skill than I arrived with. I think their times for the various test activities are much shorter than needed, but perhaps those times are needed in order to be able to adequately move into the advanced classes. I'm not convinced of this, but its their ballgame.

It was quite hot, and I drank GALLONS of water. I also used LOTS of sunscreen, and around 600 rounds of ammo.

Only complaint I really have is that there were two people in class that were rather unsafe (significantly increased risk to others and themselves), and therefore two of the instructors were watching them (only) like a hawk. That meant that those instructors were not available to help the rest of us. In my humble opinion, they should have moved the unsafe folks off the range and continued with the course.
Old 05-22-2012, 6:08 PM

I found their instruction to be decent, and I think I left with what I wanted, which was more skill than I arrived with. I think their times for the various test activities are much shorter than needed, but perhaps those times are needed in order to be able to adequately move into the advanced classes. I'm not convinced of this, but its their ballgame.

It was quite hot, and I drank GALLONS of water. I also used LOTS of sunscreen, and around 600 rounds of ammo.

Only complaint I really have is that there were two people in class that were rather unsafe (significantly increased risk to others and themselves), and therefore two of the instructors were watching them (only) like a hawk. That meant that those instructors were not available to help the rest of us. In my humble opinion, they should have moved the unsafe folks off the range and continued with the course.
Old 05-23-2012, 8:19 PM

I have the same complaint about my first class there... not so much on other classes I've taken. From talking to a few of the instructors I'm friends with, it seems that there is usually one in every class. One of them was telling that if it gets really bad they take the weapon and secure it and have them do the rest of the class with an orange gun.
Old 05-30-2012, 9:10 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Looks like the Lifetime Diamond Membership offer is back again!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Looks like the Lifetime Diamond Membership offer is back again!
Man, how am I supposed to feel better than everyone if they're going to give Diamond Memberships to everybody!?!?

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
— Charles Austin Beard
Old 05-31-2012, 8:28 AM

Default How fast is fast enough in a fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives_In_Fresno View Post

According to the FBI the average "gunfight" is 4 rounds in approximately 2 to 4 seconds. So if FS is asking you to present and fire a single headshot in 1.8 that's about right for an average. Remember, you are defensive and thus behind the reaction curve and that's the focus in their training. Only at the 5 yard line do you get to start gun in hand at the ready (prememtive strike). And Fresno, if you think the standard times are tough....the Master times are outragously fast.
Again, in a fight you're need to as fast as you can (and hit). If the times seemed fast, dry practice will help tremendously. Equipment location, holster cant are very importnt too. I fought my equipment in the Master Prep class. I couldn't make the times so I understand the frustation, but with a "legal" modification to my holster and dedicated dry practice I am able to make the .7 presentation requirement.
Scary beginners are an issue. In the "old days" we'd actually remove a student from the range and assign an instructor to get them sorted out and back up to speed, but it seems now with so many shooters and ranges filled that just can't be done anymore. Prehaps it's time to fill out those email questionaires and request "sub-standard" students be taken aside for remedial training. I know I walked off the line after my shooter continually had his finger on the trigger and had to be "stopped" almost every evolution. the straw that broke the camel's back was when he was reholstering...finger on trigger again and covered my feet with his muzzle (dangling gun syndrone). I reported it to the Range Master and excused myself from coaching him. They did call a "rover" to come and supervise this guy.
Imagine being on the line when a shooter discharges their gun into their leg... yikes
Old 05-31-2012, 9:34 AM
Practical Googleplex Guy
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

anyone with a diamond membership or any other memberships for sale, please let me know.. PM me.

Quote:
Contact me if you want a referral code for buying a Tesla or solar panels... LOL. Yes, I want the free supercharging, but you get a $$$ discount
Old 05-31-2012, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossbergMan View Post
Imagine being on the line when a shooter discharges their gun into their leg... yikes
Well unfortunatly I had the opportunity of being 10 feet away from a guy who squeezed one off into his leg at Front Sight. I

Links to info on said incident. http://www.frontsight.com/SafetyRepo...howSingle&ID=5

Safe and Happy shooting to all!!!!!!

Last edited by Bubba281; 06-07-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Practical Googleplex Guy
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I agree. Perhaps they should have a simpler, total Newbie class...... for repetition and going over safety again......for those who just bought a gun and thinks a magazine is what the school kids sell .................

Quote:
Contact me if you want a referral code for buying a Tesla or solar panels... LOL. Yes, I want the free supercharging, but you get a $$$ discount
Old 05-31-2012, 6:40 PM

Bubba, good work I hear. I was on the master prep range and we sent two MD's over. they told us the situation was pretty much taken care of and they weren't really needed. Probably a good thing some us bring our own first responder kits.
I'm surprised to hear there's only one EMT on staff...when I left staff we had eight or more. I agree the "first aid kit" is not suffient and a trauma kit should also be available to authorized personnel. Maybe that needs to be brought up in an email to HQ.
It was so much better when we had a staff ratio of 1 to 3or 4 students on the line.
The idea of coach/student approach is sound....if the coach KNOWS what they are supposed do as a coach/safety officer and are capable of doing it. that's the big issue as I see it. Although the class gets a instructional block on how to coach and the responsibilities of the "coach" not everyone is up to the task of being a safety officer.
As an instructor, I think the safety concerns and rules are covered to the point of mind numbing. As the saying goes...you can lead a horse to water....but you can't make them all be safe.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM

would love to hear how long you all have been waiting or waited for their free handgun for those that bought those offers.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Just got back from Advanced Tactical Handgun course at Front Sight. This was a great class with excellent staff. Two days of shooting around 600 rounds. Included: night shoot, shooting on the move, 50 yard shooting, malfunction drills single hand, sims, 50 yard shots.... the list goes on. Twenty people in my class and they all were good shooters. Can not wait until my next trip.
Old 06-03-2012, 2:30 PM

Enzo, did they make you go "support side only" in the shoot house? They did for me. I walked up they gave me the scenario and then said "BTW you have taken a stray round through your firing side shoulder....that arm doesn't work...GO!"
Hidden Valley IDPA today had a single target at 58 yards (I lasered it) - six shots only. So that 50 yard shooting will come in handy. Yeah I shanked one of my six...damn it.
NOW ON TO MASTER PREP IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 4:38 PM

Yep, "support hand only" in the shoot house. Talk about a good challenge. This was a great class. Taught by Bill Monroe, and Dan Park.
The fifty was a real chore for me. Did it standing, kneeling, and prone. Standing seemed to work the best. Need a lot more practice.
Weather is starting to get too hot. You are right, need to wait until it cools. November. I am definitely in for the Combat Master Prep.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapro View Post
would love to hear how long you all have been waiting or waited for their free handgun for those that bought those offers.
It's coming up on a year for mine. The longest "six to eight weeks" and still waiting! Anybody else?

Ask me about a "Lifetime Membership" from Front Sight!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal425 View Post
It's coming up on a year for mine. The longest "six to eight weeks" and still waiting! Anybody else?
They quoted me 3-4 months on the latest FMK promo.
Old 06-05-2012, 9:00 AM

I have only taken the 2DDH. It was a great experience!
Old 06-05-2012, 9:36 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

I am taking the 4DDH Night this coming July. Anyone know what takes place during the night course? Is there a skills test at the end?
Old 06-06-2012, 1:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
I am taking the 4DDH Night this coming July. Anyone know what takes place during the night course? Is there a skills test at the end?
No skills test. If the instructor does one, it doesn't count. You do get a CA if you don't leave with any extra holes in you and you don't create any in a fellow student.

There is a nice fireworks show. It's probably the closest you'll be next to a professional display.

It'll be fun!
Closed Thread